powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
what type of sectional and rug in this living room ?
nwhouse
February 21, 2013 in Polls
I am in a delimma on the type of sectional and rug to add in this room.

It is the first view as soon as one enteres the home. TV is another, family room. Our home has plenty of children moving in and out hence need something that is kid friendly yet inviting and chic...

Help please !

Thanks in advance for all your feedback and suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
12jeannemb
we have kids and have a microfiber sectional. It is easy to clean and comfortable
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:44PM
PRO
Soring Interiors
Hello nwhouse, I would put an "L" shape couch staring under the window and wrapping around the back wall. You would place an 8'by 10' rug in front of the couch. Color on the walls always changes the look of a room. So you can start with a wall color or purchase the couch first and color around it. If you are afriad of color . It can be a suttle color. Ask yourself what pulls you when your out and about looking at furniture or Art and items of interest. pamela@soringinteriors.com
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Nwhouse, how many people will be using the room, and for what activities? What ages are they approx.? What else is needed here? Storage? Do you play games on a table? What are your favourite colours and design style? Let us know the answers and we can help room plan and suggest the correct fabrics, furniture etc. Hope this helps!
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:59PM
Stacey Rushing
Sectionas to me slide apart on wood floors. You might just go with two coaches and a chair with an ottoman. i have kids and we have two leather reclining soas. Easy to clean and just wipe off sticky fingers and stains :)
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 5:05PM
PRO
JWinteriors
I just did a room like this. Get a neutral sectional that isn't over stuffed. A round cocktail table to protect kids and shin bones. Wrap it on long wall and in front of window. End table on both ends for lamps. Diagonal a chair/ottoman on this end. TV is placed on wall to the left. For visual interest for my young couple, we ran 5 18" horizontal stripes on far wall that connects the dining room in that back area. We added window panels, 8x10 area rug, lamps, art and accessories. Turned out as beautiful as it was functional.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:14PM
nwhouse
Thank you all ! Your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. We recently moved into this home and I have two rooms ( living and family/tv room to furnish :))

Susan, we are a family of four ; children aged 10yrs and 8yrs. This room will primarily be used when we have friends (and their children:)) and family over. No storage is required.
We have another reasonably sized family room wherein reside the tv, books, board games et all.

The walls are painted in Cafe Latte and the ceiling is white. There is a piano in this room (shows slightly in the picture) . I tend to lean towards clean scandanavian lines (an uncluttered look) with dashes of Asian touches ; we have several pieces of Buddha that will adorn the home.
In terms of color, the neutral / earth tones with dashes of aqua blue and green are what is desired... The large windows look onto a green lawn and the dinning area opens onto the backyard..
Thank-you so very much for your help !!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:15PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Great info Newhouse, very helpful. As a mom who encouraged and welcomed other kids to hang out at our house, I can understand the needs of this room to be chic but kid friendly.

I would recommend a sectional in a perenial fabric, this one looks and feels just like linen but is non staining, bleach able and tough as nails. I like this style of sectional and agree with JWinteriors to have the sectional run along the long wall and wrap around to the other wall. This sectional from RH is 104 inches by 119 inches. I would do a round table in a dark almost black wood such as this one and then mid century end tables. These would work well with your Asian/Scandanavian leanings. I also would pair with a mid century chair in a bold turquoise and a wool rug in tones of cream, caramel and bits of grey. It's also from RH and is called the Marled Plaited Wool rug. It feels like a sweater for your feet( I know I took off my shoes and stood in my bare feet)

You will have lots of options for lamps, art and cushions. I like the idea of throwing some of these stone floor pillows for the kids in the corner, cute, fun and interesting.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 10:08PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Here's some cushion ideas.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:10PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
The rug.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:11PM
PRO
nwhouse
Susan, a heartfelt thank-you for the decorating suggestions ! I LOVE the floor cushions. RH is on my 'to visit' checklist :)

Thank you all for the feedback and recommendations.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Should i re-upholster these solid wood couches
I have a mid century modern home that I am re-modeling....
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
Thinking of using vinyl plank tile
What is your opinion of using the new style vinyl plank...
Kitchen Backsplash Input
Hi, I have been wanting to add a nice tile backsplash...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.