Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Transform my basement..
ilisten
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My basement is like a spec house. I need input on color and decor, please.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Artistico
Paint the walls and ceiling a darker color. It will add depth and character for not much money.
February 21, 2013 at 6:59PM   
beren
dark red and beige go great together
a nice flower arrangement on the coffee table, some dark red pillows to match.
rearrange all the frames on the wall , looks a little messy.
the coffee table or the side table , one has to go. they don't match.
if you don't like red i would suggest an olive or forest green as an accent color.
love the space and windows , looks new. so much you can do, it all depends on the budget.
February 21, 2013 at 7:09PM   
ilisten
Thanks for the input- both of you. Beren- my upstairs is much more formal (large, open area with stoned fireplace that matches the hood of the stove) and I have dark red as my accent up there. It is a new home- but we have lived here for 4+ years and the basement needs attention. Maybe I'll look into the olive- I have tried olive before in a house and it looked like mushed grasshoppers on the wall. Obviously color choice isn't my strong point!
February 21, 2013 at 8:21PM   
smilynn711
Hi...nice amount of space to work with.
What about a large area rug with multi colors. Pull colors from the rug for a throw and accent pillows. Also, what are your interests? You could add a couple of coffee table books reflecting your interests.
Also, do you collect sea shells or anything... They could be displayed in a decorative bowl on either table.
Last thought, since it is the basement you need to bring the outside in...green plants.
Wait, one more thought, you could paint the wall the pics are on and make that your accent wall and then paint all the frames the same color with white or black mats so your photos will pop!
Good Luck!!
February 21, 2013 at 8:42PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Great bright basement. I would consolidate all the small pictures on the back wall and make it a more feature piece.

February 22, 2013 at 6:24AM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
I agree with Dytecture!
I think two small grouping of photos on either side of your entertainment cabinet would look wonderful!!!
I've put together some items for your space that will bring in some texture & pattern.
These items are neutral so you can still add your preferred colour(s) to the room.
I hope this helps!
Caroline :)
February 22, 2013 at 7:13AM     
gustave007
After you patch the back wall and paint, get on Pinterset and type in, "how to hang a wall grouping". There are so many ideas on how to design a grouping and tips on easy ways to hang it all even.
February 22, 2013 at 7:40AM   
charleee
I think red ochre walls would look fabulous in that room, especially with all the white trim you have: [houzz=
]
February 22, 2013 at 7:58AM   
decoenthusiaste
I like SW 7679 Golden Gate and SW 2839 Roycroft Copper Red for your space. Might use the red on the wall where all the pictures are for an accent and the Golden Gate everywhere else. I couldn't find a good picture of it, but the niche in #3 is the gold.
Traditional Dining Room
Roycroft Copper Red 2829 Paint
The Isabella
February 22, 2013 at 8:06AM   
More Discussions
Where to put microwave?
Originally it will be where in the first pic. Now...
1922 Kitchen Needs Color Change!
I need to figure out what I should about this kitchen...
Repair Help Needed Fast!!
I just started painting the bathroom cabinets in my...
Need measurement guidance for bed side wall scones
How high should wall scones be next to a bed with or...
Mid Century Ranch - Need exterior color ideas
Looking for exterior color ideas. I am leaning towards...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.