Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen remodel
thepaintedloft
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We have installed butcher block counters and a white subway tile backsplash. I am considering painting the top cabinets white and the base cabinets a dark teal of some sort. What do you think? Would you go with 2 different colors for the base and the top? Please note that we are replacing all of the cabinet doors in the style of the unfinished ones you see. We had old white laminate doors before. The new ones will be painted. We just hung them to get an idea of what they will look like. Thank you for any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onthefence
My very first suggestion....get some under cabinet lighting put in. Your beautiful white subways look pinky grayish beige right now ;-)

I think 2 color cabinets is a great look - but I'm not sure I'd go as deep a color as teal. I see the color swatch you have out...but because your colors aren't coming across well on my monitor I'm not really sure what to think.
February 21, 2013 at 7:15PM   
simplify52
I love your countertops. I'm getting tired of granite. Love your new doors. I need new doors as well. Where did you purchase them? I'm having a problem finding them anywhere except online and I'm a little afraid to purchase them in case they don't work out.
February 21, 2013 at 7:20PM   
Jayme H.
I don't think I would go as dark as teal, maybe a lighter color?
February 21, 2013 at 7:27PM   
thepaintedloft
I agree. Under cabinet lighting is a must. Thank you, Kathy. My husband built the doors, so I lucked out there. Jayme, I have thought of going lighter too. Here is a better picture of the color swatch (I hope). Thanks for the advice.
February 21, 2013 at 7:32PM     
onthefence
Oh...that's a lot different than I pictured! I do think it's a great color but a bit too saturated. Could you do the same shade only with less saturation?

BTW - you DID luck out with the doors. Your husband did a beautiful job!
February 21, 2013 at 7:48PM     
lefty47
HI -- Talented Husband ! That is a great color but I do think it may be a bit too dark for a small kitchen . BUT I think you should try it and if you find it's too dark after a while then repaint .Just for the bottom cabinets and have the white on the top . I think you will need a color on the ceiling so the top cabinets show to their best. Try a color that is the lightest of the wall color. PS: Maybe try to put some of the teal paint in the back inside of the top cabinets . I think that will set the kitchen off nicely.
February 21, 2013 at 8:10PM     
kphone
After seeing second photo of color swatch yes I think that will be beautiful!
February 21, 2013 at 9:17PM   
Kerissa Brown
As I look at the colors you want to incorporate & the set up you have, I think it would look nice if you kept the white or cream, etc, color going for the doors but, trim them with the swatch of lighter hue of teal you posted. It would keep the butcher counter true & give your kitchen color & light without washing out.
February 21, 2013 at 10:04PM   
thepaintedloft
Thanks all for the advice and compliments on the cabinet doors. Excited to share with my husband!
February 22, 2013 at 7:29AM   
AMN
Great colors, and I can speak, first-hand, how wonderful it is to have a husband who can build fabulous cabinetry and doors. Question: Will you consider replacing the fluorescent light on the ceiling? I'd hate to see all your hard work go to waste under such cold, unattractive lighting.
February 22, 2013 at 7:33AM     
sharpkl
I like the idea of the light or white toned upper cabinets on top and the lower a grayed down teal color. Maybe not pure white but a slight tone of white. Here are some ideas.
February 22, 2013 at 7:39AM     
flwrhead
Love it! I'm planning to do something along those lines with our island. Can I ask what stain/type of wood you used for your countertops? It's exactly the color I'm looking for!
February 22, 2013 at 7:45AM   
simplify52
You husband did a beautiful job with the doors!!! Can we borrow him for a few days??? LOL Looking forward to seeing how you progress with your new kitchen. Keep the pictures coming! I do love the idea of white upper cabinets and darker lower cabinets. JMHO!
February 22, 2013 at 7:57AM   
thepaintedloft
Amn, yes. We are definitely getting rid of the fluorescent lighting. I just have to decide what to replace it with. I also would like to use pendants of some sort over the bar area. Sharpkl, thanks for the pics. I really like the 2nd one. Flwrhead, we bought the countertops from ikea in oak. They are solid wood and fabulous. We have not stained them, only mineral oil at this point. Lol, Kathy. Will do.
February 22, 2013 at 10:10AM     
Amy Stanley
Could you paint the cabinets all white and use the color on your walls? I am just thinking longevity you may get tired of teal at some point and it will be a pain to change- introducing the color in places that can be swapped out such as accents, wall color etc. makes your renovation go the extra mile.. I love love your counter tops and the new doors are fab!
February 22, 2013 at 10:21AM   
onthefence
Would it be possible to change the upper cabinet on the far left of the microwave to a glass door? Then do the interior of at least some of the glass door cabinets in the teal. Then use the teal on the lower cabinets?

In the 4th pic that sharpkl posted (the one with the darkest cabinets) I see that the darker color of the lower cabinets is tied into the white upper with the interior color. I think that might be what ties them all together. Otherwise you have everything white from the backsplash up and darker saturated colors from the counter down.
February 22, 2013 at 10:47AM   
Lizabeth
can your woodworker husband router the edge on the countertops? I think that would be nice touch.
February 22, 2013 at 10:56AM   
the_misfit
I like the teal color, but I might go even darker and more saturated. Maybe slightly less dark than this teal: http://www.theenglishroom.biz/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/miles-redd-interior-design-ed1110-07.jpg. That would look AWESOME.
February 22, 2013 at 11:10AM   
the_misfit
Or this!

Ignore the faux finishing. Blech on faux finishes.
February 22, 2013 at 11:16AM   
More Discussions
need help with bathroom sinks
We are putting granite counter tops in our new bathrooms...
Help with improve the layout
Hi, So I'm moving to my very own place soon and...
Help with improving layout of kitchen & master bath/walk-in
My husband and I have purchased a new-build home in...
Help needed choosing pillows!
I just received my new couch and armchairs but I have...
What do I do with my living room?
Just bought new couches and the rug is fairly new....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.