powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Deciding between purple area rug or grey....caught between wanting a splash of colour and elegant grey. Pleas
michblue
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What would you do?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
smelling
I would do the gray rug as it will be more in style for a longer period of time.
February 21, 2013 at 8:10PM     
Whitney
I think a grey purple would be a great combo. Almost steal like with a hint of purple
February 21, 2013 at 8:19PM     
February 21, 2013 at 8:23PM     
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
A rug with grey background and pastel design. You can bring in splashes of colors with bright pillows, artwork. Also the mirror above the cabinet /buffet looks smaller in proportion .
February 21, 2013 at 8:26PM     
PRO
Artistico
Always go for neutral on big ticket items. Add color with accessory's and paint.
February 21, 2013 at 8:43PM     
aniluap2
Although I love Darzy's rugs, I think artistico is right. When you decide you don't want purple anymore a grey rug will go with most ant color. Purple pillows are easier to toss than a rug. By the way, love your choices so far
February 21, 2013 at 8:51PM     
Darzy
I agree big ticket items should be neutral. I do love a statement rug when everything else is soooo neutral. Here is a beauty 5'8' rug for only $279!

February 21, 2013 at 9:00PM     
PRO
Schlosser Design Group
Feizy has a new collection that would look great in your space.
February 21, 2013 at 9:10PM     
Dawn Taillon
We got this perfect rug that is real light grays with a little lavender in it from Home decorators,http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Addison_Area_Rug/300/. WE Love it. I love the Ecconox Oberon a lot too.
February 21, 2013 at 9:29PM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
This style was very much in trend in the UK last year - old rose, faded lilac with cream, silver and grey. It went beautifully. If you have a great colour combination that works, it can remain so after the trend has come and gone. There are others trends that should go of course!! But this is a calm, serene, elegant look that gives light and breaks the mould from the more conventional colour schemes.
I should add that purples/lilacs tend to become warm browns at night depending on your lighting. So whatever you do, make sure you see your carpet at night and in the daytime to see how it changes.
February 22, 2013 at 2:18AM     
PRO
bathhousewirral
I would like to see combination of yellow and red on the wall. I have used it many places. It shows some elegant look.
February 22, 2013 at 2:31AM     
DIAspoton
either will work and if the color and pattern are soft they'll be easier to live with longer. the feizy line as schlosser suggested, has several good choices online : escalante , vivendi , amalfi and ouray
home decorators has a lilac : tilli

the dresser scarf needs to go and the 2 mirrors are too small.the mirrored dresser is very attractive. black and white photography would look great above it
change the flowers to something long,low. a simple tree branch would be a nice free form organic touch.
February 22, 2013 at 3:05AM     
michblue
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and candid comments. Here are 2 different angles of the room with a view of the other furniture. Would this change your thoughts on purple vs grey or patterned vs solid? Thanks!!!!!!!!
February 22, 2013 at 8:22AM   
michblue
....I am not so worried about the lasting power of the colour....I don't mind changing it out in 5 yrs if I get bored.
February 22, 2013 at 8:24AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I am definitely for the purple. It will add contrast to your floors ....(and a nice contrast I might add!)
February 22, 2013 at 8:34AM     
decoenthusiaste
Here are three that I like from homedecorators.com. Found them under Purple Rugs as I was shopping by color.
February 22, 2013 at 8:38AM     
aniluap2
If you're not worried about switching it up in a few years Definitely purple. Loved Darzy's rugs.
February 22, 2013 at 8:53AM     
aniluap2
Also decoenthusiaste rugs would add subtle color.
February 22, 2013 at 8:55AM     
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
purple / lilac patterned rug and introduce sofa pillows the same color. For added warmth I would paint the wall the "rug color" and paint the mirror frame 2 shades darker (than the wall).
February 22, 2013 at 9:02AM     
PRO
Decormoz
Purple/Lilac! Keep the room the same.
February 22, 2013 at 9:05AM     
kris10c
Where did you get the chairs, please?
February 22, 2013 at 9:06AM     
patriciarhall
i like the yellow/green color in the pattern in your chairs and the pillow on your sofa. consider using this color in your accessories and rug
kris10c
And I think Gray, and add some more pops of purple with accessories!
Darzy
I'm glad purple/lilac is getting some votes! It will be beautiful and "unexpected". I really like Deco's rug suggestions!
February 22, 2013 at 9:47AM     
michblue
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Lots of great ideas. The chairs and fabric are from Fairfield.
February 22, 2013 at 10:11AM   
michblue
...hopefully I can find a site like homedecorators.com that ships in/to Canada!
February 22, 2013 at 10:27AM   
Dawn Taillon
They don't? I also loved and considered the above lavender rugs but hubby vetoed them as froo froo, Martha Sterwart rugs. UHG! So oddly he loves the Addison one, that lavender accent was a huge confession for the man who wanted a manly cabin.
February 22, 2013 at 10:12PM     
bevballew
Very pretty room. I say add the purple. You need some color and those purple rugs are stunning. Your room will be so elegant with the purple, something different.
February 22, 2013 at 10:17PM     
patriciarhall
michblue, do you have other things in your house with lime green, yellow/green to try in the room? Here's a rug I think would go well with your chairs. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Argonne_Rug/630/
February 23, 2013 at 7:45AM   
Dawn Taillon
I like the prices at HD, I like the rug but I am not feeling the green direction so much. I think it would be a good accent color for sure though. The space is so nice, how can you go wrong?
February 23, 2013 at 10:57AM   
michblue
Hello! I just wanted to show you all the finished product following he question I posted to you all about the rug. I went in an opposite direction and chose a black and white rug. While I may still consider grey or purple in the future, I like the graphic punch of the black and white. Thanks for all of your suggestions and feedback!
May 25, 2013 at 5:40PM     
michblue
Here is the artwork I chose by a very talented Canadian artist, John MacLeod.
May 25, 2013 at 5:43PM     
aniluap2
Looks great!
May 25, 2013 at 7:41PM     
DIAspoton
beautiful. love the painting.
May 26, 2013 at 2:42AM     
michblue
Thanks, if anyone is interested in more info about the artist, feel free to message me.
May 26, 2013 at 9:31AM