Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my family room!
Nancy
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have no idea or direction in designing my family room. Hopefully this time around my photo uploads. The wall with the sofa is 13'. The wall with the TV is 6' and the wall toward the back is 9'. The ceiling height is 10'. This is basically a blank canvas. The sofa can be arranged any way since they are seperate pieces. We want to mount the TV on the wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Not sure if it is sofa/love seat but I would use in an L shape. You need end table, lamp, coffee table and rug. And of course art.
February 22, 2013 at 6:04am   
Jayme H.
Your sofa seems too large to put anywhere else. What does the other end of the room look like? I am wondering if u put the tv on an end wall, u could have more seating where your t.v. is now..but u could also have that on the unseen end wall maybe. Need art, area rug, possibly end table (s) and table lamps.
February 22, 2013 at 6:11am   
Christine
What is in the area where you are taking the picture from? Just off the top of my head Find a long low console and place it where you are standing and took the picture. Place the TV and the components on that. Then swing the sofa around from that entry wall and around to under the window. Get an appropriate sized area rug and then buy a small open console for where the TV currently is in the photo and put up a lamp, photos, etc. Invest in some wall art. One large oversized piece oer the wall to the left of the entry would be cool or put up multiple small mirrors in different sizes.
February 22, 2013 at 6:24am   
carolins
Hi,
I checked your ideabooks and saw the floorplan of this room. If you browse through the living rooms on houzz and put an ideabook together of the living rooms you like, it will probably give you an idea where you want to go with this room.

Could you put the sofa in an L shape? One part under the window and one part with the back to where the photographer is standing? A square coffee table with a lamp between the two parts.
And I'd say you need a big rug to start with.
February 22, 2013 at 6:33am   
Nancy
Thanks everyone for your comments and your time! My kitchen opens up to the family room. I'm going to try and upload a photo here. I was able to upload it to my ideabook..... Crossing my fingers
February 22, 2013 at 12:48pm   
carolins
Beautiful kitchen! Love the lights above the island.
February 22, 2013 at 1:10pm     
dsaulino
I think moving the long portion of the sofa to the center of the room with the back to your kitchen at a right angle to the other part of the sofa that would remain under the windows is the best idea. Of course you would then move the TV directly accross from the Kitchen. It would create a cozier more intimate area for watching TV and conversation. You could also find a nice sofa table to put along the back which would help to finish the look along with an area rug and misc end tables.
February 22, 2013 at 1:10pm     
Rosemarie
With out knowing you , just looking at the style and colors you have chosen. Keeping this elegant but comfortable, move part of the sofa to the wall in a L shape. Throw thick faux mink throw and some classic pillows on the sofa. Use the ottoman double duty by putting a beautiful tray on it for a coffee table use. Think about built in bookcase or shelving with the TV wall. Think Classic books, cut crystal bowls , vases and candlesticks, lighting some sections. Keep the whole look open- no more furniture.
Its tempting to put a large mirror on the wall facing the kitchen to reflect that beautiful room. If not mirror a single large piece of artwork. If you go to your local art galleries often you can arrange a payment plan on a really nice piece of artwork. Think about a uplit large plant in corner space between the sofas.
February 22, 2013 at 2:02pm     
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
You definately need a large piece of art to make the room pop. I have recently completed some that would look great. All are original acrylic paintings on heavy gallery wrapped canvas. Please contact me at julie@jul313.com for further info or check out my website at www.jul313.com.
February 22, 2013 at 3:04pm     
Nancy
@ Rosemarie.... Elegant and comfortable is exactly what I want to go for!

@Carolins... Thank you so much for the moldboard! I love the color teal! Those are the accent colors in my dining room and formal living room. I was thinking of using red in the family room since I've used red in my kitchen. I love love love the Taza area rug. In fact I've had my eye on one similar to it from Pottery barn in a terra cotta red. Do you think the red will suit this space? I am going to move the couch into an L shape and I def. need to add some art on the wall! I loooove that honeycomb lamp! I may just get that for my living room!!! The mercury glass lamp is perfect for this space! Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it!

@ Jul313... I love the painting on the bottom right... I will check out your website

Thank you all again!
February 23, 2013 at 10:15am     
Nancy
Moodboard**
February 23, 2013 at 10:18am   
carolins
LOL
I already thought you meant moodboard, but I'm glad you clarified ;-) And I'm glad that you like it.

Actually, although I'd prefer a more neutral rug myself, I do think the terracotta red rug will look nice and warm. If it isn't big enough (I'm Dutch and live in the Netherlands, where we use centimetres in stead of inches and feet and I'm not good in maths, so it's hard to judge measurements) you could always put a really large jute/sisal rug underneath it.
As long as the colour returns somewhere else in the room, I'm pretty sure it will be nice. It's always hard to judge colours and light from a computer screen. Making my moodboard was also a matter of guessing and keeping fingers crossed and there's no guarantee that anything on there will work in your room :-D

Will you keep us updated?
February 23, 2013 at 10:39am   
Nancy
Yes I will keep you updated and post a pic when the room is complete! Thanks again!!!!
February 24, 2013 at 4:16am     
PRO
Design Within Reach
Hi Nancy,

You have a lovely home! One thing that will make your space a little cozier is an area rug. It will help distinguish the living area, and will provide warmth for your cold toes!

Also, I would recommend a piece of art or a mirror for the stark wall adjacent to the sofa. This will create a focal point and add some flair to the space.

I have created a 3D drawing of your space to show you the suggestions pieced together. Find it here – http://dwr.mydeco.com/3d-design/design-dilemma/4220422/

Best of luck with your room, I am excited to see how it turns out!

Best,
Jill@DWR
February 25, 2013 at 5:55am     
PRO
Juniper Wind Designs
You might want to think about some of my vintage pick-up pictures… they are fun have personality and you could pick a color out of the picture to paint 1 of the walls.
I have a visualizer program that if you send me a picture of 1 of the walls that you are thinking of I can send it back with a picture of what the picture will look like with your furnishings!
www.juniperwinddesigns.com
February 25, 2013 at 8:29am     
Nancy
WOW!!! Thank you Design Within Reach!!!
February 25, 2013 at 6:10pm   
PRO
Tracy Burton - Burton PhotoArt
Love your work Juniper Wind and I too love to photograph old stuff! I am wondering if you would share the name of the visualizer program or any ideas on how to show art on various walls...
September 8, 2013 at 3:53pm