powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help, stuck with cupboards but what choice for counter, backsplash and wall paint!
Gary
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Kitchen remodel on hold until I can get some helpmonnhow to finish it off
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Please add a cabinet to the left of the range. It is dangerous and against code in the US not to have a cabinet on the side. Pot and pan handles can hang off in mid air and flip hot contents onto a passersby or even more disastrously small children.
February 22, 2013 at 4:22am     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
There is a lot going on with the different wood...the floors, the two toned cabinets. I would go with a black counter top (to ground the space visually), and a very simple backsplash with a border tile running throughout the back with a break at the window, then continuing to the other wall. The paint, maybe, a BM color, one with a shade of green....good luck! I'll check on Houzz for some example pics...good luck...
February 22, 2013 at 4:33am     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
February 22, 2013 at 4:39am     
PRO
All About Interiors LLC
Hi
I would also recommend a solid color surface such as black granite. I would recommend a coffee color wall paint from Benjamin Moore and a solid color tile backsplash 4"x4" with perhaps a raised decorative tile placed sporadically in a few places. Keep it simple, minimize lines and decorative features. Add a cabinet/counter space next to stove. Add a pretty valance over window to soften up the space and hard materials you have going on. I hope this helps.
February 22, 2013 at 4:40am     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
February 22, 2013 at 4:40am     
handymam
You are only stuck if you won't paint the cabinets. The wood on the floor and the cabinets are too much. I am not a fan of the two tone wood on the cabinets, and if you aren't either, paint them.

As far as colors, what color do you like? What style are you going for? You have to have some preferences in them otherwise you will end up with what houzzers like and not what you like...

All 4 Show, love the tilework!
February 22, 2013 at 4:44am     
PRO
All About Interiors LLC

a neutral backsplash such as this would work.
February 22, 2013 at 4:45am     
Jayme H.
I agree with keeping it neutral
February 22, 2013 at 4:48am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with Jayme and am impressed that she found a picture of such similar cabinets.
February 22, 2013 at 5:58am     
Christine
Can you paint those cabinets? Agree with Main Line above. Install even a small 18 inch cabinet to left of stove. Get rid of those window shades and opt for a simple valance or if you need privacy then maybe a decorative window film (they sell them by the rolls at Home D.) I can see a black granite as long as the backsplash is kept white or light colored. Stacked stone maybe in a light cream or simple white subway tiles. I also think that stove would look better without the steel back. remove it and just run the backsplash tiles all the way across. That is a Viking so you need to make sure you are to code on the back and sides of the stove (to prevent unintentional fire when that sucker gets too hot. Your contractor will know what to fire rated wall material to put back there and you have to have a 2-3 inch gap between the stove and the cabs (at least where I live) so check for code in your area and adjust accordingly.
February 22, 2013 at 6:19am     
tomda
I think your kitchen is cute. I agree about keeping everything else simple. I like that it is different than what everyone is doing these days.
February 22, 2013 at 6:38am     
Gary
Wow, I had no idea how helpful everyone would be - thanks so much! So, from a safety perspective, absolutely, I'll add something to the left of the range, will be tight on space, but I'm guessing even a flush ledge would satisfy? Thanks for the tip on clearances, I'll measure for those—might not be code here (Southern, ON Canada), but sounds right regardless. Killed myself laughing at 'paint the cupboards' because of course that does take care of the issue ;) it may be the final solution, but for now, I'm going to look for neutral, colour texture/range as recommended. Was surprised by the number of 'dark counter' recommendations, but I'm going to explore it! Thanks again, I'll post progress :D Gary
February 22, 2013 at 7:56am   
Gary
PS:
Range is a Garland, they're a commercial company that dabbled in home ranges for a short while. Like hood (Ventmaster), a commercial outfit that had a brief go with residential hoods. Thanks again folks!
February 22, 2013 at 8:01am     
tomda
I just had a thought for your countertops...soapstone?
February 22, 2013 at 8:02am     
Gary
You mean like they use on the Arctic? Or the more beige substance (former would be too soft but a really interesting look!) Latter option might work as well...
February 22, 2013 at 8:25am   
tomda
Are you talking about the soapstone? It's a grey color, it's commonly used for countertops. It has a really natural look, it's not polished and shiny. There is a little maintenance involved because it has to be oiled once a month or so. I just think it would look good because it's kinda rustic.
February 22, 2013 at 8:38am     
onthefence
Soapstone comes in a variety of colors. It seems that different geographic areas have different stones they carry. It can range from greenish gray to solid black. If left untreated it tends to be a lighter shade. If oiled (a quick swipe with mineral oil) its darker and glossy. I love the look and feel of soapstone.

Chestnut Hill kitchen
Gary Earl Parsons, Architect
The Woodshop of Avon
Spring Valley Kitchen remodel
February 22, 2013 at 8:46am     
Gary
That is gorgeous, truly, I will definitely look into this!
February 22, 2013 at 8:49am     
onthefence
I agree with tomda - I think it would be a beautiful counter for your kitchen!
February 22, 2013 at 8:51am     
onthefence
BTW - I think you can have a beautiful and very unique kitchen without painting those cabinets. Yes, they're a challenge - but I really do think your kitchen can be finished into something great with a careful choice of final materials.

I LIKE kitchens that are different. I like being in a room and thinking 'wow, I've never seen anything quite like this but it really works'. ;-)
February 22, 2013 at 8:56am     
apple_pie_order
The contrasty cabinets are going to dominate unless you do something to change them. You can wallpaper over the dark inset raised panel in the cabinets. There are paintable wallpapers and decorative papers that might work. A fussy job, but do-able. I actually like the cabinets, by the way, they are different from the ordinary and look well made. Love the stove and hood.

I'd go with a light laminate counter in a tone that nearly matches the light wood of the cabinets. There's enough pattern going on already. Laminate because you don't want to spend thousands on new countertops if you are going to rip them out in a few years when you replace the cabinets. Change the old gray window blinds, too, you need something fresh and new there. You've got a French vanilla and swirled chocolate color scheme going on.
February 22, 2013 at 8:58am     
PRO
Ashley Malowaniuk
Gary, do your self a favour and do not paint the cabinets. You have a gorgeous wood combination, and in a few years painted cabinets will be dated. I suggest finding a manufactured stone countertop (I recommend Caesarstone http://www.caesarstone.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx ) which will give you a fresh and subdued look to let the cabinets shine. As far as paint colours go, I cannot provide you with the best option without seeing the style of the rest of the house... You should not go from room to room feeling as if you are in a different house each time - this will help you maintain a calm and stress free home.
February 22, 2013 at 9:29am     
nasmijati
I agree to keep the countertop and backsplash a neutral color. They can be made of the same material. See DeWitt Architects in the Professionals section.
February 22, 2013 at 10:16am     
onthefence
Gary - any chance you could post photos of the area to the left of the stove and of the opposite side of the kitchen?
February 22, 2013 at 10:29am     
groveraxle
Jayme, how come your pictures never enlarge?

February 22, 2013 at 11:02am   
groveraxle
Two-tone cabinets with gray counter and backsplash:
Railroad Historic District Renovation

With black counter and salt-n-pepper backsplash:
Georgetown - Pst

Wood counters and a lot of stone:
Timber Retreat - Kitchen
February 22, 2013 at 11:08am     
Jane Walker
Your cabinets are beautiful; I wish I had them in my cabin here in the Blue Ridge mountains as I already have the dark granite countertops that so many have recommended. I agree about the paint but be sure that it's a warm coffee.
February 22, 2013 at 11:30am     
the_misfit
Assuming that you cannot paint the cabinets, I would take off the "countryfied rustic wood that I can just see surrounded by gingham and geese in bonnets" glasses and try to squint through "rustic/industrial/modern." (I note that that is not MY style, but you could make it look like you meant to do that, and in 2013.) For that, I would go monochrome and spare. Thus, I would suggest white horizontal-plank backsplash (like the image here Harbor Cottage, Maine). I would do that for all the walls in the kitchen, all the way up to the ceiling - thus, adding no other color. And maybe concrete countertops, like so Concrete Countertops And, finally, add more accessories in brushed stainless steel - pendant lighting, whatever else you need.
February 22, 2013 at 11:31am     
onthefence
groveraxle - great finds! Those pics are exactly how good this kitchen can look IMO.
February 22, 2013 at 11:33am     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Hi Gary, If you're going to give soapstone serious consideration there is a company in Stouffville called N & G Soapstone Counter Tops. Their soapstone is Brazilian and unlike our Arctic soapstone used for sculptures it's hard and oh so beautiful but certainly at the high end of pricing for counter tops. I know several decorators and designers in your area if you need a point of contact.

Edited to add - opps just re-read and saw that you plan on remodelling. I'd save the soapstone for the remodel and get laminate counter tops and just paint the walls/backsplash especially if you see this remodel happening in the next 5 years. You could go ahead and put in a tiled back splash but again think about the timing of the future remodel and expense and do what's best for you.
Cheers
Mary
February 22, 2013 at 11:47am     
studio10001
Now that you have your counter issue neutralized (sorry,heh,heh), may I suggest the addition of an open shelf to the right of the stove in either wood or stainless, a widened window casing trim, and either a bamboo or roman shade at the window? And "after" pics, of course.
February 22, 2013 at 11:52am     
Gary
Being new to this site I've got to tell you I'm instantly addicted ;) wonderful ideas! Will post additional pics. Love the additional treatment advice. Will definitely keep the discussion posted on progress. Something I'm starting to be able to visualize finally! Had no idea at the amount of choice and great ideas!
February 22, 2013 at 4:11pm     
jeannemara
Interesting comments. Personally, I would do a lovely green tile on the walls. Not large, but smaller. A lighter green that glimmers/shimmers (in a soft way). Would add light and would look absolutely lovely with the cabinets. As for counters, either soapstone or a very natural (and by that I don't mean light on colour) granite or granite-look (they make some that are so good, you can't tell they are not granite) counters.
Wall colour? Take a hint from the green backsplash. If it glimmers/shimmers, then you'll see different tints/shades of green at different times. Chose one you think is marvelous and paint the walls that colour.
February 23, 2013 at 9:35am     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Gary -- Here's another photo that may give you ideas, although I like many of the above probably a little better -- just stumbled on this on my front page and thought you'd want to see it:
[houzz=
]
February 25, 2013 at 9:44pm   
rawketgrl
I like your kitchen. You have nice fixtures/appliances and the cabinets are awesome different. I might consider different hardware on them, something sleeker like the stove. Ditto on the build a valence to soften, over window. This will be a lovely space. Nice job. :D
February 25, 2013 at 9:58pm   
Lani Carroll-Newton
What about removing the current splash back? Is that possible? And have a glass one installed. They are big over here in Australia right now and look very stylish, very easy to clean.
February 25, 2013 at 10:58pm