Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Updating Help!
Sonit Bhatt
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello Everyone! I want to update my kitchen on a budget and I was wondering what ideas you guys had! I recently replaced the countertop and the sink so I would like to keep them the way they are and I am going to replace the appliances and get stainless steel appliances so my main problem is the cabinets. Is there anything I can do to update the cabinets without replacing them? Below is the picture of the kitchen! Thank you so much!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pearlpro
I would change the backsplash right after the cabinets, With any mosaic in the beige family with a little of red glass
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:36PM
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
Hi Sonit, I agree with pearlpro that you need to change the backsplash to complement your new granite countertops. Your granite has a lot of movement, but the colors are very muted and lovely. I think a simple glass subway tile would be nice.

Now the cabinets--paint them a shade of white. Change your cabinet hardware and remove the wood valance above the window. Also, exchange your fabric window valance for a roman shade or none at all.

My last bit of advice--when you redo your backsplash don't forget to match your outlet covers to your tile. Right now they are white and my eyes are drawn to them--not good. Good luck Sonit, I think you're off to a great start.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:13PM
PRO
Steven Alvarez General Contractor
Lose the brick backsplash. Do not feel the urge to take backsplash all the way up to the upper cabinets. This was a trend of the eighties that has long been gone. maybe a modest splash even just 4" high.This will provide some seperation between the cabinets, and will show the wall instead of having just on glob of materials from floor to ceiling. Like in paintings " the eye needs some place to rest'-some open space. Paint cabinets ligter color maybe a version of white. change cabinet handles. Lose valance and curtain at window. Alot of wood on wood on wood. Maybe use a different material table and some brighter more colerful chairs. The main thing. Flowers and fruit always decorate a room the best.

Good luck
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 12:16AM
charleee
I agree with changing the backsplash, glass subway tiles would be great. Are your cabinets wood or laminate? If they're laminate they may not accept paint well. Why not just change the hardware for a more modern look? [houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:22AM