Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with my aptartment Bedroom Design
lightelf
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to re-design my apartment bedroom to make it look more modern and polished with limited budged. Maybe something chic like this ( http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/roomset/20132_bero04a/) or modern zen or a warm modern look.
The most difficult part is that, because it's a rented place, I cannot paint the wall, put wall paper, nor attach anything to the wall (small nail might be ok). So the chic look I put in the link will probably not working for me.
So I'm looking into other options to make the room look modern and clean. Since I'm under a budget, it's best if I could use what I have now plus buy a few things from IKEA or stores with the same price rage.

* bought 2 table lights to put on both night stands,
here is how the light looks like(white): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90155016/#/50155018

* I will also need a long type dresser of some sort to put on the left of the bed to store clothes / cosmetics.
dresser choices: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80053933/#/50214555

* will keep the bed as it is now. maybe change the color of the 2 night stands by stapling white fabric (or other colors/patterns) on the surface. If it's too hard to apply, will consider get another 2 night stands from Ikea.
Suggestions on the night stands?
night stand choices: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30219484/

*what to do with the wall behind the bed? drop some kind of fabric from the ceiling? or wall art??? decal?

*bed frame is black. But I personally prefer white color. should I buy black dresser and nightstand, or can I buy white dresser and night stand? or other colors?

*other design ideas to make it better?

Thank you very much!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
metadatician
Consider stencils from Blik - they're removable and won't damage the wall surface. They have fun designs from floral to patterned to modern. I think this would look nice with the bed linens. http://www.whatisblik.com/shop/explore/wisteria
February 21, 2013 at 11:15pm     
cani
I like all your choices and think it will turn out really cute. Do you have another wall to put the dresser on? If not you could get the dresser you were going to get in the single size (3 drawer) and get one for each side of your bed instead of the nightstands. They might be too tall for your bed though, you would have to measure. On the one picture they show the black bed with the turquoise so I would think you could do it with white and just make the whole room black and white with some colored pillows or something.
February 22, 2013 at 12:14am     
carolins
Your choices are really nice. And I do like the stencil idea from metadatician. Will the lights not be too big for the nightstands? I do like them, was just wondering...

From the Ikea bedroom you've enclosed the link to I got the impression you were going for dark chic. An atmosphere you won't get when you buy white additional furniture. Although you could go for white, why not?
But I'd say: buy a black dresser (even though you will see all the dust that settles on there, you'll be amazed how much dust accumulates in one day - or is that just me who keeps wondering where it all comes from?) It will look very sleek and chic. You can combine that with white nightstands. Or even mirrored ones (as long as you're cleaning the black chest of drawers...). Have you checked Target? They've got some cool mirrored side tables for instance. http://www.target.com/p/mirrored-glass-accent-table-25/-/A-14176539

You could also paint the ones you have perhaps? That will save you some money.

Could you put the dresser on the wall with the door?
February 22, 2013 at 1:05am     
carolins
Also found this side table/nightstand: http://www.target.com/p/threshold-153-black-lattice-accent-table-with-mirrored-door/-/A-14237347?ref=tgt_adv_XSP10001&AFID=pricegrabber_df&LNM=|14237347&CPNG=Furniture&ci_src=5784816&ci_sku=14237347

I'm Dutch, live in the Netherlands, so I don't know the quality of Target furniture, but it doesn't cost a lot of money :-)
February 22, 2013 at 1:09am     
lightelf
@metadatician
Thanks very much for the site! I found lots of cool designs. will consider using some of the artistic designs for the bedroom or my baby's nursing room.

@cani
Thank you! It's my first time doing this, I'm really happy to know I'm on the right track (hopefully!)
I considered about having two 3-drawer vs. one 6-drawer too. Due to the size of the room, I can only do 6-drawer on one side.
white dresser: yes! I love white colors! I was worrying if I could pull it off with right choice of pillows and wall deco. Unfortunately 50/50 black&white mix is not my thing, I might make it more white than black by adding white night stands.
Thanks again for the suggestions! Helps a lot!
February 22, 2013 at 1:10am   
lightelf
@carolins
Thank you very much for all the great ideas!
And yes I do need to wipe my black bed frame often since it quickly gets white dusts lol
My table light might take ~50% of the space on my night stand.
I'm not very into mirror, but I like the black night stand you suggested. (if I didn't have so many clothes I would like the mirror one too)
Also thanks for the suggestion about painting my current night stand! This way I can try the idea of both white and black night stand xD in case one idea didn't work. I need to search some youtube videos about painting..hopefully it's not too time consuming.
Thank you! :)
February 22, 2013 at 1:23am   
carolins
You're welcome :-) Also, I've been thinking... for a more luxurious feel you could add more pillows to your bed. Ikea is a great source for them too. Also, throw a throw over the feet end of your bed.
Instant elegance. See for example the bedroom in the first link you gave us.
And... sorry... but for the best result... the chicken has to go ;-)
February 22, 2013 at 3:55am