Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How a bedroom became a bathroom.
rinqreation
February 22, 2013 in Before & After
When we bought our house, the existing bathroom was no more than 2x1meter, completely worn out, humid and moldy. Dreadful. Not much in there we could use again, so we decided to give up the third bedroom and create a space to unwind and get clean. The old bathroom would do much better as a small walk-in closet.

So we closed up old bathroom door with a full height cabinet and drilled a new entry towards the bedroom. Wainscotted the walls with plywood and built in as many shelves as possible. I found this sweet black wallpaper to match the plywood and chiseled off all the tile glue off the original terrazzo floor. I have no full after picures, because the place is packed (we're still busy renovating our house).

The bed-now-bathroom is 3x2meter, a nice space to put in a bath, sink and shower. We added the former hall-closet and took out the unused chimney, so we could also fit in a toilet. The original pine floor was not strong enough for the weight of the bathroom, so we built a reinforced conrete floor from scratch with heating in it. Put in all the plumbing, rewired the entire room (we can now choose from three types of light, for every occasion). Built a wall with glassblocks in them to have some daylight in the shower. Drywalled the ceiling (there was softboard throughout the house) and tiled the floors and walls. Chopped up an old oak tabletop, sanded it down and turned it into a washstand. Added a few other features and fixtures and a huge mosaic on one wall.

I must admit I am a little proud of us and very thankful for our skills, because we do it all with our own hands.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
new bathroom layout:
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:14AM
underedenx
Wow unbelievable transformation!!! I LUV the mosaic on the sink wall!!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 3:18PM
rinqreation
Thanks! That mosaic sure was a wonderful winter diy-project!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 12:26PM
laurae1967
Very nice! What a transformation.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 1:14PM
underedenx
Winter tile work! lol oh yeah... that must have been wonderfully pleasant!-) my husband did all the cuts for our kitchen backsplash in Dec. needless to say he sounded like the dad in 'A christmas story' whilst out there!
It really is amazing! i cant believe you made the sink base out of an old table!! im in awwww u got some skills girl!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 3:12PM
rinqreation
It's also the table my hub (now 38) had his first dinners on as a kid, so it has a neat story too! :)
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:19AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Nice to see your work rinqreation! Well done!! And what a lovely story about the table.

I took my husband's desk he had as a student and cut the legs down and stained it into a coffee table. It has now made its way to our kids media room - but I love it because it has history!!!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 3:37AM
PRO
KBR Design & Build
Love the shower tile! Really nice
0 Likes   Thanked by rinqreation    March 5, 2014 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Staining a Front Door
Hi, Our mahogany front door has arrived and needs to...
Has anyone installed LG Viatera Rococo?
I am thinking about using LG Viatera Rococo in my kitchen,...
New roof color
Hi, we're going to put on a new roof. We're replacing...
Small DR ideas needed
Painted but need some ideas See pics
How do I dress these windows?
My living room has a large cathedral style window (made...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.