Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Integrating television into home office
smugsy1122
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We finally broke down and bought "grown-up" furniture for our home office. After getting it into the appropriate configuration, we are trying to figure out how to work a television into the room. Ideally we would like it on the white in front of the desk, since this is where the cable outlet is. But my boyfriend wants it off-centered and not in the corner. Would that look totally unbalanced? How can I balance it out?

Please note: The room is not yet completely painted, hence why there are paint splatters on the wall. I also have to find an area rug for under the desk, but that is going to be a long search since I have a particular budget and design in mind.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I think it will look fine. If you've had charge of the rest of the room, let him have charge of the TV - its a man thing anyway, right?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:55AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
So there is only one chair in this room. Is the TV only for the person at the desk? And, how big is the TV?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:00AM
sooneralumom
A flat panel would look better on the dark wall than the white one. It might look dramatic between the draperies. Maybe a grey or mocha shade for the white walls?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:02AM
cypress
Is the TV going directly on the wall? If so, are you going to anchor it with a console beneath it? If you are placing it off center, I would place a tall plant (real) on the floor for balance.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:09AM
smugsy1122
A 32" TV will be wall mounted. Yes, it is a one-person office, with no "visitors" (For tax purposes). So there is no chair. The TV will only be for my boyfriend, to watch golf and Sportscenter when he is working.

I actually didn't have charge of the room. He picked out the furniture. It is too big and bulky for my tastes, but since it is his office, I let him choose. The only choices I have really had in this room are the color of the other walls (Valspar's Morning Fog) and where the cat beds get hidden.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:03PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Mount it to one side..probably to the right side because of light switches, with a long console table under it with a grand lamp on the other end for when you want less overhead light. Do you have blinds under your window treatments? If not, you may want them for any daytime TV watching. And I love the drapery..except it is too short. I would sew a 2 " wide strip down each side of the panels and a wide piece on the bottom to end 1/2" off floor. Even better, hang the rod higher and put a really high piece on the bottom.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:14PM
smugsy1122
Blinds are on order - a simple white cellular. I love the idea of a table lamp. I didn't even think about that. Since the blinds are sheer, what kind of material for the adder - another sheer? And what color?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Choose one deep toned color for the room and put the TV where it makes the most sense to the viewer. A darker wall color will produce a man's office atmosphere for him. Pick an area rug that will stand up to the desk chair. You want a tightly woven flat rug. Think cisal or commercial carpet cut to size and banded on the perimeter. I think a good cisal will work with your furniture.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 12:30PM
Christopher Brack
Wouldn't bother with tv. It's fine as is. It's for work. If you put a tv in here you might not come out.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:41PM