Professionals
Users
My NEW "Front" of my house
mtrezza
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is how it looks now
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Do you have before pics? If so, post your project at Before and After too.
February 22, 2013 at 10:54AM     
cypress
Heads up, I saw the before photos on another post.
February 22, 2013 at 11:14AM   
mtrezza
@ decoenthusiaste..I did, did you see them ??
@ cypress ..what do you mean?? I never posted them can you send me the link??
February 22, 2013 at 11:41AM   
PRO
The Color People
Yes! Much nicer. Good job. Have you considered adding some color to the front door? It would give the house a focal point.
February 22, 2013 at 2:36PM     
underedenx
i like it... i would have re-planted some of those hostas... it looks a little bare
February 22, 2013 at 2:43PM   
Suzanne Regimbal
I like your house it needs a colorful door that says welcome!
February 22, 2013 at 2:53PM     
mtrezza
@Suzanne Regimbal I agree, we do need a new door.. any ideas ???
February 22, 2013 at 4:46PM   
mtrezza
@ underedenx..I did replant some of the hostas & planted new / different plants but when the AFTER picture was taken the plants were newly planted & not very big
February 22, 2013 at 4:50PM     
mtrezza
@ The Color People...any ideas on a color...The white door is so boring
February 22, 2013 at 4:51PM   
cypress
I think black would look nice.
February 22, 2013 at 5:06PM     
sallymmarshall
I like that you opened it up, but I'd like to see some height there. Maybe a couple of bright pots with hibiscus, one in the inner corner. And I'd go a muted red maybe on the door. Just me- I love color- especially red.
February 22, 2013 at 6:24PM     
Keitha
Looks really nice. What about adding shutters to the windows at the right to give a little interest?
February 22, 2013 at 6:32PM   
Donata S. Griffith
The left flower bed i would concrete. Like with an aggragate. I would put a chippendale bench against
that side of house. I would put a collum to the left of the one built into the house. I think that would frame your front door. I would paint your front door also. I would get rid of storm door. I dont know where you live you may really need it. You could paint your door a black green. I would also paint bench same color. I would plant a ground cover in the flower bed to right. You could get some really big pillows for your chairs on porch. Thats what I would do. Good luck!!!
February 22, 2013 at 6:47PM   
Donata S. Griffith
One more thing! I would plant a tree on the corner of the house by garage.
February 22, 2013 at 6:49PM   
mtrezza
@ Donata S. Griffith...Funny you said that about the collum, I was going to put one up last year, but went back & forth about a railing so we never did it. (What do you think about a railing & collum??) I NEED to storm door we have a dog . I did plant ground cover & other plants/flowers they were newly planted when I took the picture, hopefully they come back this year. I don't think I would plant a tree near the house, the bushes that were there ( I removed) had big roots that were growing under the concrete. Maybe a tree in a big pot ????
@ Keitha-There were shutters, took then down, bought new ones (3 colors) held them & nobody liked them, looked better without, so I returned them & bought more plants :-)
February 23, 2013 at 3:08AM   
mtrezza
@ Donata S. Griffith-Sorry forgot to reply ..I have a little bistro table & chairs on the left by the windows. which I do like instead of the bench
February 23, 2013 at 3:12AM   
inkwitch
Definitely a colored front door, but red is so frequently done. Everybody has a red door. And it's hard to match brick and not get too dark. THe garage siding limits what color you can paint the front door - Forest green? (not too dark) Black is formal, but it might work. Houzz has lots of door photos. Go thru those.

Love the landscaping. Resist shoving things into corners. COnsider painting the chairs/table a bright color (turquoise? yellow? lime?) to contrast/match the front door color (unless you choose black!). .
February 23, 2013 at 3:53AM   
Suzanne Regimbal
Here is a picture of a black door with panels that would look sharp and make your door stand out.
February 23, 2013 at 10:21AM   
mtrezza
Last year I posted Before & After pictures of the front of my house ..well, this year I won a contest on Facebook that Mayne Inc. had and here is what it looks like now (the flowers are fresh, so once they fill out I'm sure it will look a little different)
May 18, 2013 at 1:40PM   
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Sorry to burst your bubble, y'all but mtrezza your landscape , while an improvement over the overgrown evergreens, is lacking scale and background. Imagine what your landscape will look like when it dies back in the Fall/Winter. Without "bones" there is no design. Widen your flower bed on the right., plant a small ornamental tree and a mix of low growing broadleaf evergreen shrubs ( rhododendron, azalea, etc. ) with deciduous ones for interest. Transplant all your current perennials and annuals in front of these . Always group plants in numbers of 3, 5 or 7 for effect. Some small ornamental grasses such as blue fescue would look good in front of the border. Move the white container next to the entrance and balance your window box with one of the same for the left side. Here's a sketch of what I'm talking about. Oh and P.S. I'd like to shoot the person that created red mulch.
May 18, 2013 at 3:23PM     
Sheila Rowan
I really like Sweet Caroline's design, and it wouldn't be expensive to do. How about royal blue for your front door?
May 18, 2013 at 5:23PM     
PRO
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
I second that about red mulch, it really detracts from the plants! I also agree with Caroline that some woody deciduous shrubs and/or evergreens would help scale the landscape to your cute house and give the landscape some structure. Layer the perennials and annuals in front of the shrubs.
May 18, 2013 at 6:17PM     
PRO
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Great job! Congrats on your before and after, thanks for sharing. I agree with new front door or a color accent. Looks like you have a storm door on the outside? That can be a problem! In my opinion, No shutters on the right side window, they would be too big in size and would cover that way cool brick! Enjoy your "new and improved" home!
May 19, 2013 at 10:45AM     
mtrezza
Thank you for all of your comment & input....I really like Sweet Caroline Ideas, unfortunately what Sheila Rowan said, I have to disagree, it WOULD be expensive to do, FOR ME anyway...I can't afford a lot , (single mom 2 jobs) most of the plants seen here in the picture were given to me by friends thinning out their gardens, I try to buy 2 perennials a year & annuals for my pots. Also, my neighbor planted a tree (see attached photo) right on both of our property lines & the damn tree hangs over onto my side (pain in the A#@! when I cut the grass. So unless I win the lotto or someone would like to donate money & labor to update what I have done, it will have to stay that way until next year or long....I do want to paint the door, but I can't decide if I want red or black?? For now I am happier with the way it looks now instead of how it did look..I did it myself & Proud ....P.S. Want to see the weed garden ...mess ...I will welcome any ideas for that mess :-) Thanks
May 19, 2013 at 4:26PM   
lynin
The storm door can also be painted, therefore making it look quite seamless. I agree red is a bit overdone; black doors can seem like a big black hole. What about apple green or bright yellow - I don't know if that would work with the brick.
May 19, 2013 at 4:39PM   
bluenan
Sorry, but there are too many lawn tchotchkes. Your hostas and other plantings will give you a nice green contrast against the brick, the rest of the little things just look random and busy.
May 19, 2013 at 5:37PM   
Sheila Rowan
I think you could still do Sweet Caroline's design on a slim budget: yellow cannas for the tall yellow plants on the right (buy bulbs, not plants, and wait until they have gone down to 1/2 price at the big box stores); red geraniums for the medium height red flowers (you can buy just one and then root lots of cuttings on your windowsill); blue and white alyssum for front of the border, grown from seed ($1 a pack); you can then replace with more permanent plants as your budget allows (yellow blooming shrubs for the cannas, red roses for the geraniums, etc.) For your "weed garden" try tall hollyhocks (again grown from $1 seed).
May 20, 2013 at 8:44AM     
mtrezza
great suggestions Sheila :-)
May 20, 2013 at 11:45AM   
inkwitch
The idea of your garden areas is great, but your balance is too "measured." Assymetrical has more interest. Spreading rocks around makes them look like fake rocks. Pile them all together. Try different locations within the bed. teh back corner, by the steps, etc. Remove the cutesy decorating items. You're not 60 yet, and that's who mostly uses such stuff. Avoid frogs, gnomes (yeck), etc. Gazing ball is neat. The urn will look better on the porch at the point where you step up or at the far back corner of the bed. (I like that location for the rocks more.)

I like the assymetrical look of the right-hand bed. It has an appealing flow. Pansies work well through winter but won't survive heat. Ivy trailing over the edge of the planter will work. It needs to be trimmed regularly to keep from overtaking the area.

If you pop in at Wal-Mart and HD (whatever local stores carry plants), they have "clearance" plants which are the ones which have passed the best of their flowering stage. With some tender care, they'll flourish. Think long-term. Replace the red mulch with natural colored as budget allows. Red is too cutesy.

Front door: gray. A rich charcoal. Black really isn't appropriate for this house, and red is overdone. Paint the storm door the same color.
May 21, 2013 at 3:46AM     
bluenan
No need to insult those of us at the 60 mark, I was the first to mention the yard tchotckes, and my age, experience and observation has only helped to shape and refine my sense of aesthetics. Aficionados of yard clutter can be of any age...and the gazing ball has to go as well.
May 21, 2013 at 6:20AM   
mefor
You go girl!!!
May 21, 2013 at 6:28AM     
inkwitch
No insult intended. It's a challenge to keep friends from giving me stuff that they think is so cute! I have to admit a liking for gazing balls -- they fall into the same category as pink plastic flamingos!
May 21, 2013 at 7:54PM   
More Discussions
I need help with a fireplace.
Can I please get some ideas to "update" this tired...
Family Room Clean Slate
I am working with a clean slate in this family room....
Blueprint update
I'm thinking if replacing the utility sink for a spot...
Need help with living room
Looking for help with a new living room colour and...
fireplace fix?
Don't want to replace my 1910-ish multicolored, crackled...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.