Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Laundry room from hell!
mflohelp
February 22, 2013 in Polls
Our laundry room is totally inefficient!! It's not quite a room but slightly bigger than a closet. It's "T" shaped design, with the vertical shaft of the T being the kitchen, requires the washer to be on one side and the dryer on the other. There is no room for moving around let alone laundry baskets. The oddly place window makes an ironing bored, drying wrack, or storing brooms, mops, just basic stuff impossible!! The shelves above each unit are way too high for my 5'2 size to reach and I can't even push the dryer completely against the wall and stuff is always dropping behind it. Being able to pull it out to clean behind it, don't even think about it!! I have to climb on top with a broom and vacuum hose! Please help!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
closed until further notice
You could do a Stackable washer dryer combo or move walls either way its a wash Lol.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:41PM
Jayme H.
Not an ideal set up...a stackable will help, but the room will remain small...IF u do a stackable..a counter and shelving on the other side would be helpful.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 6:44PM
mflohelp
Thanks ladies!!!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 6:45PM
ikwewe
I like the idea of a stackable unit on one side, probably the washer side because of the water connections. That's what I have in my master bath, and we are really cramped for space for laundry too, but it sure beats being stuck out on the patio. I think I have a picture of the washer next to the doorway to the bedroom. Perpendicular to it is the walk in shower. Tucked in next to the shower on the side closest to the washer is a tiny open closet with cedar shelves and a hanging rack. I found a tiny hamper that fits in the space, and that is my laundry. You can do a little better than that for storage once you clear out the dryer side. I actually even have space to put an ironing board, but I would have to set it up in the bedroom.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:51PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:54PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
You can usually purchase the drawers for below, to help (at the very least) elevate the units to allow you to reach below instead of over them. They also sell ironing boards that can be mounted above either one that when being used simply lie across the washer or dryer. I'll look for pics on houzz for u as examples.... :)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:57PM
ikwewe
Here is the only picture I have right now, you can just see the washer on the right side of the doorway with the dryer above it. I stand in the walkway to work. The hamper fits on the left of the washer and next to that is the access to the tiny open closet. It is tight but it does work for me. I can empty the dryer onto the bed and fold there. You might be able to fit a fold down table into your shelf set on the other side.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:03PM
camillealbert
I had the same problem. Moved the washer and dryer down the basement. Was unfinished but now in the process of finishing it and finally getting my laundry room. The room of the kitchen where the washer and dryer was is now a cute little mud room.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:06PM
lastplace
you can also hang a clothes rod in the open section above a cabinet or shelves. its great to hang up your shirts etc right from the dryer. when not in use, you don't even notice it since it is above eye level
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:08PM
camillealbert
Sounds like there is no room for hanging clothes.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
lastplace
This would only work if she went to stackables on one side
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:14PM
PRO
All About Closets
Stackable’s on one side means rerouting either gas, electric and vent or water, electric and drain. This might not be as easy as it sounds mechanically speaking. There is also a cost associated with moving these services. After all is said and done will you get the bang for your buck with this small space by buying new appliances and rerouting the services?
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 10:03PM
mflohelp
@closets- I honestly don't think I would get the bang for my buck. This is not our forever home by any means. I'm thinking since my husband is getting deployed that changing the shelf arrangement to cabinets that aren't as high will help. And I like the idea of hanging a ladder from the ceiling and using that as a drying wrack. I just have no idea how to do it
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:06AM