Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cant combine the styles and colours
duygusc
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello,
Im using houzz to get ideas and examples of furniture mix but somehow i end up with such -crowded- look, need help which item to display and not to as well as how to decorate..thank you...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sondramartina
I would remove that blanket from sofas .Also i feel you should center all pictures above the sofa.
February 22, 2013 at 10:01AM     
AMN
You have a decent start. The problem, I think, is you have too many little things. There need to be a few pieces and parts that are large and provide a lot of impact. When you add a ton of small things, the big ones can't do their job.

Plants: Better to have two large ones than 8 little ones.
Pillows: Pick ones with stronger colors pulled from the rug.
Pictures/paintings: I think the collage is a challenging look to achieve--especially if you're trying to work with different frames. Way better (and easier) to go with one large piece of art.
Throws: If they don't have to be there, I would remove the blankets/throws from the couches. They make things look sloppy and contribute to the cluttered feel.
Placement: Can you pull the couches away from the window a little?
February 22, 2013 at 10:01AM     
0825sam
Cluster all the photos over the couch. Search houzz living rooms for "photo collage"
February 22, 2013 at 10:05AM     
PRO
Amplio
Agree with AMN. Pull couches out; center them so the pictures on the wall are more in line with them.
The flowerpots look misplaced also maybe a lower rectangle sizeable by the window and get some new greens in them.
I will back with a sketch.
February 22, 2013 at 10:09AM   
duygusc
Thank you all, very much appreciated
first removing he plants and throws,
second if i pull the couches one will be blocking the living room as shown,
the pillows: i tried to go with beige and sage but the reds came out...as much as I try i always end up with red...so is there a way to go with sage pillows again?
Carpet; vertical or horizontal?
Frames: remove all? And get one 40" or 60"?
February 22, 2013 at 10:19AM   
PRO
Amplio
Quick sketch for wall deco
February 22, 2013 at 10:26AM     
duygusc
I think couches done?
February 22, 2013 at 10:28AM     
PRO
Amplio
Is there any options to place the "chesterfield" like couch in front off the window?
February 22, 2013 at 10:35AM   
duygusc
In that case the nyc view will be blocked?
February 22, 2013 at 10:37AM   
PRO
Amplio
oh no...donĀ“t then...enjoy that lovely view
February 22, 2013 at 10:46AM   
duygusc
How is this Amplio?:)
February 22, 2013 at 10:47AM     
DIAspoton
getting better. the 2 round tables are could go since the coffee table is there for drinks,etc.
the red rug is dominant so work with it. look for patterned pillows with all 3 colors to mix with the solids you already have. remove the scarf from the table by the tv.
February 22, 2013 at 10:47AM     
duygusc
Thank you :))
February 22, 2013 at 10:56AM   
sondramartina
I like original sofa arrangement better ,but maybe this one feels more open.
February 22, 2013 at 10:59AM   
camillealbert
This new furniture arrangement is so much better. Pictures still are not right. Can't tell what they are. Either get similar frames or similar subjects. They need to be spread out just a little more. If that is a snack table on the right with a plant on it, it needs to go. Also the basket. A large floor plant will give that area some height. Good luck. Have fun !!!!
February 22, 2013 at 11:39AM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Better. But put the two small framed pics on top, the med under and the center one centered on the length of the other two. Also turn the rug the opposite direction-Lengthwise with the sofa.
February 22, 2013 at 11:41AM     
PRO
Amplio
Good work, and i agree with camillealbert and CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
February 22, 2013 at 11:51AM   
duygusc
Thank you very much, i cant believe how this happened :) all guidance was wonderful and very easy to follow.This is the final look right now...
February 22, 2013 at 1:19PM     
Judit
It looks beautiful now but the pictures still aren't at the right place, size or order.... let me think.
They should suggest harmony, your eyes should be resting on them not getting confused.
February 22, 2013 at 1:49PM     
duygusc
I see, should i at least change the frames to golden, they all have meaning to me & to my husband..if not i can place them by the stairs..
February 22, 2013 at 2:15PM   
rod handler
1. Get rid of the ugly w2w carpet. Nothing makes a room look cluttered and stuffy like w2w rugs.
2. Color, please. Consider dumping a sofa and getting a couple colorful easy chairs. If you want to keep both sofas, pick a color or 2 out of the nice oriental rug and get some solid pillows in those colors (or covers for the ones you have. All of them!) That chinese red in the rug and the side table is a good option.
3. Paint the end wall (with the pictures) a vivid color. This time don't match the rug. Just pick out a color that makes you feel good that's at least a medium saturation. Not browns or beiges.
4. Pull the sofas out from the window wall, enough so you can walk thru. If there's room, put a low bookcase or bench under the window.
5. line up the bottoms of the paintings. re-frame the ones that look awkward (like the big one with the arch). put an equal distance between them (no more than 1") and make sure the lowest part isn't in the center.
6. Does the TV need to be in the LR? They look like a big black hole in the room. If you can't hide it, put it in the bedroom.
February 22, 2013 at 2:30PM     
Judit
I can only see that they are disconnected. Try this first: the big painting in the middle next to it the two small ones one below the other, then the two medium sized one on the right, one on the left. The bottom of the pictures should be the same height. If you are still not satisfied you can get them framed the same size and colour and hang three on the top row and three exactly below them, this will give them a nice rythm.
February 22, 2013 at 2:31PM     
Judit
Everything else is exactly on it's place! You have a cozy, comfy and inviting room.
February 22, 2013 at 2:34PM   
That Creative Feeling by Dina
I think you are well under-way to a cosy room with your own flair. Is painting the wall an option? It would bring the whole room together, like grout does in a mosaic. Maybe a peaceful green.

You can also read tips on pulling different pictures together on my recent Houzz ideabook 'Affordable art'
February 22, 2013 at 2:50PM     
funnynacho
You do have quite an ecclectic room going!. I would suggest getting some inexpensive frames in a dark or punchy color. Perhaps two in one shade and three in another, mixing them up a bit. You could paint the frames yourself too.
I think the pillows (on the couch) are too muted, based on the red in the rug and the side table. Perhaps something to play into the red a bit - a subtle pattern, nothing to dramatic to compete with rug pattern. Or you could place a solid red pillow behind your others to help draw the eye up.
February 22, 2013 at 3:00PM     
duygusc
Cavortionist; 1-cant remove the carpet,floor is not in such grt condition..but i loved the idea/ 2- will get red covers for two pillows\ 3-the wall behind tv is already painted in a light green as Dinas suggestion, should i also continue with the other wall? 4-the sofa layout has changed now they are in L shape/ 5-i will reframe\ 6-my husband is a journalist, cant move the tv ..should i get a curtain on that wall to hide it ?

Judit: Thank you \ i will reframe as your suggestion
Dina Gobel; The exact colour is just by the next wall...i will read the article :))
Funnynacho: Yes, the frames are on their way...the red pillow , i will get one per couch

Thank you every one, your touches brought this home a collective happiness...
February 22, 2013 at 4:11PM   
That Creative Feeling by Dina
duygusc - regarding the green wall, it may be too muted a tone consider something a little richer. Green is a hard colour to select because it is so much up to personal taste - limish, bluish, mustardish, emerald and so on. See if you can find a shop which lets you take larger A4 swatches home rather than buying different paint pots, pin them up one wall at a time and decide at different times of the day.

I would definitely swing the colour around to the left behind the pictures and sofas .. you may then find you keep swinging left and include the window wall. You have a lot of natural light, large windows and pale sofa and carpet so richer color should be fine.
February 22, 2013 at 4:27PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.