Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can This Furniture Be Updated?
Shelly Castille
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an old waterbed set of furniture that is solid oak. Of course, the waterbed was thrown away years ago, and a mattress sits in the frame. Any thoughts or suggestions on whether this furniture could be refinished, painted . . . something to update it??? The entire headboard/light bridge comes apart. So, I could be open to getting rid of all of that (Gosh hate to think what the heck I'd do with it though). I can also park a box spring in front of the headboard/light bridge and do away with the box frame and pedestal.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
Shelly, the bureau and the chest are fine. I would paint them in a high gloss white and add new pulls. I think I would bid farewell to the window covering and the headboard and replace it with a new upholstered one. You wall paint looks like a pear green on my monitor. I like it. Try a new duvet…check out Dwell Studio.

February 22, 2013 at 12:57pm     
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
First : i would upholster the headboard( get rid off the lights and the mirrors and cover it all with fabric),
second I would paint the rest of the furniture( you have to deside on colors) and replace all the handles,third: change the mirror- let this one go and buy nice big new one and hung that up on the wall:)))
February 22, 2013 at 1:02pm   
PRO
The box for the mattress i would cover with box pleated skirt :))) New bedding would help :))
February 22, 2013 at 1:04pm   
judianna20
Nadia, when you use a bedskirt, do you have it lined?
February 22, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Shelly Castille
You guys are awesome quick - love the idea of upholstering the headboard - cover the lights and mirror with fabric? Humm . . not sure how we'd do that - maybe box the piece in? And what about the 2 cabinets that sit on the end of the light/mirrors - the are bolted to the light/mirror piece and sit on top of the night stands. I wonder if I could leave them there up against the upholstered piece - all in white - in fact white was the color my husband wanted to paint it all.
February 22, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Shelly Castille
BTW - the room the furniture is sitting in is in the house we just sold. We are building right now - so the door is wide open on what color we want . . . but we really like the idea of white furniture
February 22, 2013 at 1:08pm   
garybraker
I think the furniture in the room is a bit to large for the size of the room I would use some of it elsewhere in your home as it seems good quality set. The headboard is a bit out dated i agree so I would remove the mirror section and upholster a MDF Board in a pale green fabric of your choice. But try to make this as Subtle as possible so try not to use a large or bold colour or pattern. I would research into painting your other furniture and frame. You may have to sand it down as there will be a varnish on it. I suggest painting it white. If your budget allows get a flat screen tv on the wall may not be to your taste but this will save a lot of space and open up the room also this allows you to move the cabinet it's on to a better location. This is just my personal opinion and Hope this gives you a few ideas at least.
February 22, 2013 at 1:12pm   
PRO
Carnik Residential Design
Hi Shelly, Love the wall color and the window shade. I would recommend painting your furniture (white?) or staining it in dark rich color. However, it may just be time to sell it and use the money towards some new updated furniture and save yourself the hassel of painting/ staining :) Especially since you are moving into a new house you deserve new furniture too!
February 22, 2013 at 1:13pm   
Shelly Castille
I love everyone suggestions, but was most inspired about putting fabric on the mirror piece - looking at it, I suddenly thought - why not take three separate pieces of board, batting, cover them in a subtle print fabric and put them within the "frames" of the three mirrors? - they would be "framed" individually and as a whole by the entire piece - all painted a glossy white. And yes, I'd love new furniture, but building a house is stripping the budget for now. And besides, if I update this stuff, I can always move it into the guest room. :) Thank you all - and thank you for the compliment on the wall color - the picture definitely does not do it justice. We loved it.
February 22, 2013 at 1:28pm   
PRO
@judyg
Always! it doesn't make look a bedskirt cheap and gives a better shape:)))
February 22, 2013 at 1:31pm     
judianna20
Thanks, Nadia.
February 22, 2013 at 1:40pm   
PRO
Judy! my pleasure!! :)))
February 22, 2013 at 2:30pm   
That Creative Feeling by Dina
I love the furniture but then again I love loud unique statements in the bedroom. I would decorate and embellish the furniture, being wood maybe push it into a zen-asian theme. Paint a few sections a rich browny black, add calligraphy of Chinese prints to the panels. Paint the bedroom in a earthy red-orange orange tone and add bamboo. Turn the whole room into a wood-black-red theme.
February 22, 2013 at 2:38pm   
PRO
Shelly! you can take off the lights but i'm not sure you will be aible to keep the mirrors( unless you really want them- the it's more work) but it's feasable to upholster the head board :)))
February 22, 2013 at 2:50pm   
PRO
Doors4Home
Another alternative is to list the furniture on craigslist. There are lots of people out there looking for solid oak furniture that may be looking for exactly what you have. Or work with a consignment shop. Sometimes you can invest more just trying to update something versus purchasing the items you desire. Again, just another way of looking at things, great luck!
February 22, 2013 at 2:58pm   
PRO
Linda
Since you already have the holes for the lights, look at replacing them with flat LED lights that wouldn't show above the wood surface. Reading lights are a great convenience so don't completely get rid of them.
February 22, 2013 at 3:02pm