Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ugly Sides of Cabinets & How to Paint??
julie77777
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What if I am going to paint my cabinets and the sides are not wood? Doors and fronts of boxes are oak and in good shape, but the sides are not "real wood" and are covered with something I can explain only as a "picture" of stained wood (I'm sure there is a term for it!). I am considering painting and wanted to see what some of you have done. Surely a few have run into this problem at some point? P.S. I did not pick out these cabinets ;) Thanks for any suggestions and comments.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie77777
P.S. Will install satin nickel hardware and new (inside) hinges.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 2:57PM
studio10001
The difference will be in the prep. Your sides need a specialized primer, of which there are a few. Ask at your local paint department.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:09PM
llittlef21
We are in the process of painting our low end builder-grade kitchen right now. The ends of our cabinets look like that too. I found a site online and ordered doors that match the ones we have now, and will put them on the ends of the cabinet to dress them up a bit. They face out into the kitchen/family room so they are very visible. I am pretty sure they are wood, but very plain. They haven't arrived yet so hopefully they will be a good match! I've seen this done on much fancier kitchens. The 2 doors I ordered were $80 (one for the bottom and one for the top). I figure it is much less money than a whole remodeled kitchen.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:18PM
llittlef21
ps- we are switching to the hidden hinges and putting on hardware too :)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:20PM
sierra90
We recently painted our cabinets with rustoleum kit. Our sides were the same- they had faded terribly and looked like contact paper... Prepped them like the cabinets and painted them. They look great!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 3:33PM
llittlef21
ok, i have to comment again. :) The biggest reason we are paining our cabinets is because the previous owner had done the light paint with glaze (which I believe is what the Rustoleum thing is) and it looked horrible. Oak has a ton of grain and there is glaze in every tiny cranny. I don't know what the official stance is on glazing oak but I would never do it!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:53PM
Susan Flowers
I cut and added 1/4" plywood to the sides of mine then painted...very easy and the edge trim of the front panel covers the front edge...
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:55PM
julie77777
Appreciate all these comments! Good to hear what some possible options are.... thanks!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:47PM
Jodi Rhone
I redid a bathroom vanity with the same issue. I used the Sherwin Williams Adhesion Primer before painting, and it worked great! Word of warning ... during the first coat (of primer) I panicked because my mini foam roller just seemed to slide around on the laminate part, which wasn't an issue on the real wood. But it all looked just fine after two top coats of paint.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:15PM
julie77777
SW Adhesion Primer - thanks for that suggestion, homedreamer. I also have this same problem with my two bathroom vanities,but don't have the time or $$ to worry about those for at least a couple of years :) How long ago did you paint your vanity and are you pleased with results / performance?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:38PM
Jodi Rhone
I painted it 2-3 years ago and it still looks great. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I was just staring at another builder-grade vanity in my house this morning thinking that it's time to start doing some improvements upstairs ... :)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:51PM
Cindy Quinton
I can attest that the SW adhesion primer is awesome, and you can have it tinted the same color you are painting, I used a spray gun, and it was great, but I did paint some areas with a brush, and it only takes the lightest coat of this product to work. I painted all of my 1980 something oak cabinets a light color (neutral ground), and then glazed with a mixture of SW glaze and a dark clay brown. Painting and glazing takes some studying and a ton of attention to detail or you end up with a mess like above. But I feel that mine turned out great.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 8:01PM
Cindy Quinton
One last thing. I added some appliques on the ends of my cabinets because I have an enormous area with a table and seating area that face the kitchen. This is a great option, and inexpensive, if you are glazing or not.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 8:06PM
Cindy Quinton
Mine looked like this before.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:20PM
studio10001
Nice, Cindy. That is the kind of result that makes prep and practice worthwhile. I second the spraygun idea - and don't forget a tackcloth!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:28AM
julie77777
nice! thanks much for info and tips - Cindy, homedreamer and studio! Cindy, your kitchen looks great!!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:15PM