Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help Choosing Pillows
kimmie014
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Over the past few months, I've been obsessed with updating my home making it more (modern) transitional. I have some rooms that are modern (see office) and some that are transitional. I'm trying to pick the right throw pillows to tie all the rooms together. My kitchen is light green and my front office is light blue and I have pattern chairs. Please help...I'm stuck!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
I am typing as I am looking at your photos, so no offense. Office: paint, horse good. Leather chair overpowering and rug too small. Could you run the rug and desk horizontally with the horse picture?

Living room: bring those cute chairs into the office. Dining room rug, possibly in front of the sofa?

Dining room furniture is overpowering; if you could replace that with something else that would really help. The sponged wall treatment should be repainted with a pale gray and the chandy lowered.

February 22, 2013 at 3:19PM     
kimmie014
Unfortunately, I cannot change the dinning room furniture right now but I will take your advice on moving the rug. Where would you put the chairs in the office? If I move the chairs, what type of chair would you use in the living room?
February 22, 2013 at 3:44PM     
Jayme H.
I know these do not have all the right colors, but look maybe some similar to these with all your colors? Could mix in some black and white also.
February 22, 2013 at 4:18PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I dont see why you want to tie all the rooms together? I think it's nice when they have a character that is individual. That is a tall order for a humble pillow.
February 22, 2013 at 4:30PM     
nlmackay
I love your horse art! Where is it from?

I have a brown leather sofa and I am also trying to update my space with throw pillows. I just bought some blues and oranges in some fun trellis, greek key and chevron prints. Not sure if I'll keep them all, but the color combo is different (for me!) and definitely is modernizing my drab room. Etsy has some great throw pillows. If you find a "shop" with pillows you like, send the shop owner pics of your room. They are sometimes helpful in giving suggestions of what would go well.
February 22, 2013 at 5:23PM     
pcmom1
Totally channeling Judyg! Definitely take the small chairs from the living room into your office.

Anyone else out there have a problem with a pillow on leather slipping? I have a wing chair I would love to put a pillow on. I try and it slides right down!
February 22, 2013 at 5:46PM     
Darzy
Try pillows with a texture for leather sofa. I have a teal "velvet" and other pillows with an embroidery type design and no slippage!
February 22, 2013 at 5:54PM     
PRO
Serra Design Inc
I would add ethnic pillows, Like these Kuba Cloth Pillows, they are available on e-bay.
February 22, 2013 at 5:57PM     
aksnt11
I see that you have yellow in the drapes of the dining room, a nice brighter color that will go so very well with all of your other rooms! Throw pillows in a mix of the yellows, blues and green would look fabulous, and draw all the rooms together.
February 22, 2013 at 6:10PM   
kimmie014
Thank you so much for these great suggestions, I will make sure to post a picture of the room when I am done. The horse picture came from z gallerie.
February 22, 2013 at 6:18PM     
Lkristine
February 22, 2013 at 6:36PM     
Keitha
Take the leaf out of the dining table and it will be more proportionate with the rug. Also take Judy's advice and paint dining room gray.
February 22, 2013 at 7:20PM     
judianna20
leather and beautiful fabrics….a problem. Hubby, right now, on his leather sofa, my beautiful pillows between his shoulders and you-know-where. Velcro him, the pillows or the sofa? A new design dilemma? :>)
February 22, 2013 at 7:47PM     
judianna20
As for another chair, maybe a black frame and a lighter fabric?
Living Room Barrel Chair
Wingback Chair, Orleans
February 22, 2013 at 7:54PM     
lastplace
I love having shots of colour and texture on my leather but the pillows don't cut it in the real world. Instead a purchased two throws with a ton of colours and many textures. I hung them on the backs of the seats spreading them out more than just throwing them in the corner. You get all the great colours, lighten up the heavy leather and it is husband freindly
February 22, 2013 at 7:57PM     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I am loving the orange and blue combo pillows on this below sofa....
February 22, 2013 at 8:01PM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
February 22, 2013 at 8:01PM     
PRO
Room Resolutions
You are on a great start with your modern transitional updates throughout these rooms! For pillows I would look for some with a little texture to them and with the writing across them. You then have the option with the varieties available with that style to purchase the more "plain" style as pictured and add some colored pillows with or there are some out there with color integrated as well! Good luck with the final touches!
February 22, 2013 at 8:14PM     
Darzy
BTW..you have a beautiful home and have you've done a great job! Sometimes we forget to mention that as we nit pick! :)
February 22, 2013 at 9:49PM     
Darzy
Throw one of these pillows in the mix!

February 22, 2013 at 9:53PM     
cani
kwhite, I love your house, it's very tastefully done.
February 22, 2013 at 10:31PM     
Darzy
Love those chair ideas judyg!
February 22, 2013 at 10:37PM     
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
check sequins101.com for pillows.
February 22, 2013 at 10:46PM   
kimmie014
Thank you so much for the compliment cani and Darzy, I've lived in this home for 10 years and after coming thru a major illness, I felt the need for renewal and change. Although it is driving my husband crazy, I've had a ball ;-)
February 23, 2013 at 4:47AM     
kimmie014
This is what my rooms use to look like.
February 23, 2013 at 4:52AM     
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I always find it very funny how someone asks about pillows and everybody ends up redecorating the whole house! Not sure what you're using the office for but unless you plan on interviewing people, I would leave the leather chair there. It ties in with the ruggedness of the horse but adds texture and warmth to the metal table. You got some great suggestions for pillows. Stick to the blue-grey from the office and some greige.
February 23, 2013 at 7:37AM     
bevballew
I agree Lydia. And the changes cost thousands of dollars, something people have sitting around...good for the economy I guess. I love judyg's suggestions but I disagree with the dining room change. It is cool. It is an old world look and I think it is cool. I can see where you are suggesting a total update with the new looks which are cool but she asked about pillows. To me it is boring having the same look in every room and different feelings in different rooms are fine. I agree to move the chairs in the family room. I see some window treatments and pillows to pull the room together. Textured beige would look nice based on some of the pics above especially the houzz one that all for show pulled up.
February 23, 2013 at 7:54AM     
kimmie014
I agree...I think the chair goes nicely with my bookshelf
February 23, 2013 at 7:59AM   
bevballew
I think it was suggested to move the two family chairs into your library. I can see that and moving the desk on a diagonal.
February 23, 2013 at 8:01AM   
danduna2
If you are looking for some modern and bright throw pillows this websight has some really nice and unique ones that will work for your living room . http://www.zazzle.com/modern+pillows
February 23, 2013 at 8:32AM   
danduna2
I think a nice patterned throw blanket will work nice for the office or any room really.
February 23, 2013 at 8:34AM   
danduna2
I am also thinking a little color will work for these rooms. Even the littlest of accessories for the room will make it more modern and unique.
February 23, 2013 at 8:36AM   
kimmie014
Wow....look what my beautiful wife started....now she has taken her argument to social media!!!! .yes she is obsessed with redoing our home....and it HAS been driving me crazy......lol. I never knew there was such a design community "out there"....but I guess as a man who knows nothing about design and goes into deep depression when football season is over...I wouldn't know and understand. I don't tell her enough how much I do love and appreciate what she has done to our home.....it is comfortable and a reason I enjoy being and coming home....she may be obsessed with redecorating...but I am equally obsessed with her......yes I have been grumpy through all this baby...and I am sorry for that.....and as Luther Vandross famously crooned..." A house is not a home"....but all the love you put into making our house comfortable and inviting.....that has made it a HOME worth coming home to.....i love you...signed...."Grumpy Husband".

PS. If any of these great ideas cost us a lot more money....then I will be posting the bills next to your usernames on this website !!!! Lol.
February 23, 2013 at 9:56AM     
groveraxle
Well, Mr. kwhite014, congratulate your beautiful wife on her great taste (and you may now go take a nap on the sofa where you belong).
February 23, 2013 at 10:49AM     
kimmie014
Wow...sweetie I wasn't planning for you to see this ;-). Love you, too.
February 23, 2013 at 11:07AM     
kimmie014
I'm thinking about moving the chairs into the office; can some if you give me some ideas on how to reconfigure the office to include them.
February 24, 2013 at 8:07AM   
carolins
Awww, how romantic is this? Lovely :-)
February 27, 2013 at 3:20AM   
mainstreetschool
Kwhite014, your husband made me cry. You are a lucky lady. Pillows; try lumbar size, they won't be tall enough to slide. And they fit nicely under his neck while viewing TV.

Office: try desk on angle as suggested above, with it set overtop of the center plug. You could keep the horse pic over your left shoulder, and shelf behind your right, or on another wall. Perhaps a cowhide rug under the desk? Love the leather chair In here.
If you switch chairs, could the leather chair go I the room behind the sectional? (I see another arm chair in there) maybe it could go in place of the 2armless chairs. Lovely home! Loving couple!
February 27, 2013 at 7:25AM     
kimmie014
Thank you so much...I think I'll keep him around ;-) I love your ideas, I will definitely try moving the desk. I guess you figured out my problem, if I move the leather chair I have no where else to put it, every room is full.
February 27, 2013 at 7:39AM   
mainstreetschool
Kwhite014, I like it in the office, and the 2chairs where you have them. Keeps view outside un-obstructed. You have done a great job! Just get a few lumbar pillows and relax with your hubby!
February 27, 2013 at 7:46AM   
judianna20
K, with a husband like yours, you need nothing else. He is a dolly.

I have to ask his favorite team?
February 27, 2013 at 12:59PM