Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for kitchen
gnfbyars
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What would you add to side of refrigerator - pathway from kitchen to living room
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnfbyars
Would you change color above cabinets to neutral wall color?
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 4:12PM
anitajoyce
Yes, change the color above cabinets to a neutral! A tan color would be nice on the wall. You could add a narrow wall as tall as the refrigerator to the side of it to close it in some.
7 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 4:40PM
yvesun
Could your refrigerator be placed some where else in the kitchen? It's just seems too big in its current location. I think a soft green such as Tea Light CC610 or beige like Manchester Tan HC 81 both Benjamin Moore would suit the space; to answer your question, what ever colour you are using on your cupboards, you can get a Man-made frame from most cabinet makers to cover the side of the fridge.
17 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 4:51PM
4isablessing
Make it a into a chalkboard. Houzz has an article on how to create chalkboard paint. It will make it more interesting.
22 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 5:16PM
Keitha
Wow that's a big refrigerator! Is there enough room to install a wall up the side to make it look more "built in" and still have an adequate opening into the living room?
16 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 5:45PM
PRO
Builtforone
HI, here is what i would do , go to barkerdoors.com, order a 3 panel mdf "door",lets say that up to the top of existing cabinet you have 84"h and 24" deep , ok thats the side of your panel attache it to side of cabinet with a few nails, paint it white, and your good to go, that panel in mdf should be around 200 bucks. good luck.
Carlos.
13 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:53PM
PRO
Builtforone
oh here is another one, lil more expensive , you should bring that small cabinet more to the front of the fridge and order a wider panel (see previous comment). and this should be the right thing to do.
14 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:58PM
lovmyhome
Terijune what kind of appliances do you have in your kitchen? They are very nice are you happy with them?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:36PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
If the space allows, then put one 30" x 84"(wall mount ht) panel on either side of the refrigerator and pull out the cabinet above the refrigerator on face with the refrigerator . This may not be too expensive as you have white cabinets, and a white laminate board, cut to this size may not be expensive.
6 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:07PM
PRO
Go
Dont paint the walls! Its giving alot of romance and joy to the room. Kitchens are def one of the best rooms to use bright or otherwise too exciting for the rest of the house colors.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:32PM
picturebug
I have a similar arrangement in my kitchen. For now our refrigerator is exposed just like yours. However you might check into a great deal on a counter depth refrigerator, It made a huge difference in space and visual appeal.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:33PM
vmkeefe
Sell it. It's too big. The refrigerator is eating the kitchen. I know you got a deal.
14 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:35PM
Denice Shuty
Are you running a training camp for a football team? That refrigerator is huge. NO MAGNETS, NO STICKERS!
7 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:10PM
Ashley Buford
Besides the point that the refrigerator is much too big for the space...you could do a panel on the side. Home Depot sells sheets of things like beadboard ($8), plain, and pressed tin($20).
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:07PM
lefty47
HI -- The fridge is clearly too big,- but that being said you could add a gable panel on each side of the fridge but then you will need a full depth upper cabinet for over the fridge to hold things together and that will loom even larger in the whole space unfortunately. When you paint the cabinets also paint the bulkhead the same color , then that will extend the visual height of the kitchen. For the gable ends use 3/4 inch MDF board or get them and the top cabinet from a kitchen supply store.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:10PM
Trish
Sell
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:08PM
4wksnwks
There is a company called Appliance Art that sells panels to cover the entire face of the fridge. Some of their stuff has art on it, as the name would imply, but some are just white, designed to help make appliances match. The sheets are sold in magnetic or adhesive and go directly on the appliance. (It is a giant sheet of magnet, or acrylic with adhesive, not small magnets or stickers.) I haven't noticed whether they sell panels for the side of a refrigerator, but if they don't, contact them to see if they will. I saw them on the show Shark Tank, so they are obviously interested in growing their business. By the way, I love the white cabinets with the red walls!
3 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:52AM
PRO
DesignAnts LLC
This kitchen was never designed to have such a big refrigerator. So what I would do to save money would be to paint the soffit to match the cabinets and add a small crown moulding right at the ceiling. This would add height to the cabinet elevation and make the frig look a little more proportional. If you had a little extra money maybe get a cabinet just for the top of the frig to match the others painted the same color and bring it out deeper over the refrigerator. That would allow a panel for the side and it would look more built-in. Return the crown around the panel so it looks like it was always there.
6 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:38AM
bmarinaccio
The reason the fridge looks so big is because of the way the photo is. My suggestion as an interior designer is.....replace the cabinet above the fridge with a 24" deep over the refrigerator cabinet finished on the left side, install flush to an a 30" deep panel to the right of the fridge to enclose the black hole the side is giving towards the living door opening. This will soften it with cream and tie in with the kitchen. I can't see how wide the openning to see if you have that room but you need at least 3" to the right of you fridge for installation...and crown depth. Is this a 36" wide fridge? Very common now and need for a growing family. Good luck.
14 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:39AM
reggiem
I can see that your cabinets are older? Please consider cutting back your cabs to Left of RF/FR and replacing the counter top. (Losing storage) But cabs are way more expensive than replacing an appliance. (If you don't wish to install with a more narrow and flush appliance) Then replace the cabinet above RF/FR.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:00AM
suzvanlel
mdf panel is good idea, floor to top of exist cupboards or rather to ceiling - framed all round with a lip as per top of cupboards. swing the cupboards at the back of the wall round to be accessed from sides of fridge, again matching 'lip' of existing cupboards. looks as if the room is small so stick on an almost full length mirror with a border of equally sized square photo frames all the way around mirror. plonk in fav pics and other interesting objects d'art!! never try to hide a bad moment - make a feature out of it :)
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 11:07AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I agree with above, no panel would really adjust the refrigerator. I have done projects with size of refrigerator, we usually design a niche which recesses the refrigerator to be flat, and cabinets aligned, ones to right are aligned with it. (agreeing with lefty47, and reggiem). of course the paint and the chalkboard with do for now!..eventually you will have to design a 'niche'.. (you will then have deeper, more storage in the cabinets)..
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 12:32PM
dlapollo
get rid of clay color on walls..go with a very dark grey
Benjamin Moore - Stone is beautiful
paint ceiling same color ...
I did it...and its been 2 years...still love
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
Scott Campbell, Century 21 The Realty Group
An mdf panel could be custom fitted, painted to wall/cabinet color and glued to the side of the fridge.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 2:19PM
Sharon de Vries
i agree if you cant move the fridge downsize it and cover it with faux doors so it blends in with the cabinetry so its less conspicuous,,,the way it is now its in the way and its the f coal point instead of the cabinets........
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:40PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
A counter depth refrigerator would look so much better....
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:44PM
solraven
Well, it looks like a 36" refrigerator in space made for a 33" fridge. I would return it to Sears, find a 33", then have a side panel made to match the existing cabinets.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:24PM
auntyb
I would not get rid of the fridge. Sometimes functional needs in an important appliance are way more important than things looking just right. I know the space I need in refrigeration and I wouldn't sacrifice it for anything. Counter depth refrigerators are also more expensive than regular ones and for many of us we can't justify that extra expense for an often smaller appliance.

Honestly, I would glue anything to side of the fridge especially if it's still under warranty (not sure how this would affect). Painting the soffit the same as the cabinets and adding a molding at the ceiling were good suggestions. Unless you plan to do a complete renovation, just concentrate on making the kitchen look as nice as you can and allow the fridge to just be what it is.
7 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:00AM
lefty47
HI --- After putting gable panels and upper cabinet around the fridge - if the whole thing still extends past the end of the wall - just remove some of the base board and add a piece to the end of the wall and finish with the wall color or white.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:08AM
PRO
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
I agree with dmaria, by getting a 24" deep wall cabinet for abover the fridge and a 30" panel for the side to give it a built in look. If you can't do that, then maybe just get the panel to be 12" deep so it is even with the soffit and wall cabinet... that will take away some of the vast side of the fridge.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:19PM
Tarey Cullen
It would be of interest to see a FLOOR PLAN with some dimensions showing the entire room and adjacent spaces just to see if there are other options and considerations. Often the homeowner lives with the bump out of the large REF and you discover the wall to the left is backing up to a closet in the 3rd bedrm... which could very easily be opened to set the REF into the wall ?
sometimes designers see things beyond the box.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:28PM
PRO
Destin4 Interiors LLC
As an interior designer myself, I agree to flank the ref with panels and get a deeper cabinet to down play how much it sticks out. I would still put a chalk board, message center or a large scale painting to dress up the elephant in the room. Love the paint color and on the other walls it probably works fine but for the soffit I'd match the cabinet color to give the illusion of taller cabinets. If you want to keep the walls neutral and still have a cozy space paint that rich color on the ceiling. I recently faux tin texture papered my kitchen ceiling, added cove molding and painted it bronze. It took a few days for my husband to adjust to such a change from the stark white but he has and it looks amazing in contrast to all the off white cabinets
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 1:09AM
PRO
Destin4 Interiors LLC
My new bronzed ceiling. Good Luck finishing off your kitchen:)
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 1:18AM
vmkeefe
How the hell do I get off this thread?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 11:32AM
chickinvic
The fridge is too large and looks really out of place like an eyesore in the kitchen. I would either get a different one, or build a little wall to the side of it so it doesn't look so odd (obviously getting a different fridge would be the cheaper of the two).
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 11:41AM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
vmkeefe , just click below to stop notifications.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:03PM
PRO
MG Real Estate
Theres more to changing just the paint and refrig.
Hide the clutter of the dishes with doors and get a 24" depth refrig to compliment your cabinets so that it doesn't stand out.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:38AM
fuzinav
It would be a shame to break up the line of attractive cabinets that run above the refrigerator wall. Any possibility of stealing a little space from the dining room and pushing the wall back a bit , just behind the 'fridge?
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:45AM
christolini
Perhaps a screen or just a floor to ceiling open work panel with a nice design that could be attached to the rear wall. It would hide the side of the frig somewhat but provide ventilation.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 5:05AM
Amy Thompson
I like the chalk board idea!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:13AM
PRO
Vc Concepts Inc
You could build a columns in the pass way and build out with fridge panels on two sides of the fridge, push cabinet over fridge forward to the face of the fridge.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 5:24AM
Mru Patel
The fridge looks out of place.... The floor is neutral so I would make the cabinets darker and the wall lighter/neutral
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:29AM
itisi10014
Your refrigerator is too big for your space. You need "cabinet depth" size, which will make it fit comfortably.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 5:31AM
Amy Stanley
I am guessing by the look of the kitchen you are in the middle of a renovation? Could you give a whole room picture. A side panel is the logical idea but requires a deeper cabinet above your refrigerator and it looks like you have refinished your existing cabinets?
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 5:36AM
handywifeinheels
Your fridge is simply too large for that space. I agree wit others who have suggested a less deep fridge. You don't have alot of room there to make it work.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 6:01AM
Sonja Moskalik
Less deep refrigerator would be great; bringing cabinet above forward and adding panel would help; but i would add a bookcase that is about 9" deep and spans the whole refrigerator and the 5" drywall behind it (so about 39 to 42" wide). Only do this if your opening to the kitchen is still wide enough to walk through comfortably. It will look like a piece of furniture, a plus, and will hide that too deep frig. Appliance salespeople don't do a very good job of explaining how disproportionate these are and that you can buy 24" deep refrigerators that line up with the base cabinets. More money, but if its on the end like this one, you should do it. I have used 6" - 9" and 12" deep pantries parallel to the sides of refrigerators also to hide that depth and add storage.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 6:23AM
Taylor Carl
Because your soffit only looks to be about 13-14" deep, a 30" deep panel would look silly. If you can build the soffit out, your best option is to add 3/4" thick panels on either side of the fridge and pull that cabinet above it out to match. The easiest option would be to get a 12" deep 3/4" panel to apply to the side. It obviously won't cover the entire fridge, but it'll at least hide the back of it.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:23AM
PRO
Kelly Reynolds Design
Cover that clutter with cabinet doors if this isn't a remodel in progress. Build the fridge into something....wall it in or enclose it in a cabinet. Clutter cover first!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:24AM
lwaylett
Definitely get a counter-depth refridgerator. We faced the same issue when we remodeled. As much as I hated going to a smaller 'fridge, it made all the difference in the world. Our cabinets are built to house a counter depth refridgerator and the paneling just made it disappear! You really won't even miss the room in the larger "eye sore" of an ice box! Actually, you'll even keep your refridgerator cleaner on the inside because you just won't keep the "clutter" in it. We love ours!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:43AM
lwaylett
Also, I'm not sure how large your opening is to your living area, but here are a couple of pictures of how we not only hid our "eye sore" refridgerator, but incorporated a peninsula that also serves as an "island" and serving/eating area. The first "green" pic shows the refridgerator almost blocking the opening into the kitchen area. The "after" pictures show how we completely took out the "doors" into the kitchen area and flipped the peninsula counter. The last after pic shows the panel that matches the cabinetry and hides the refridgerator. It has all worked very well! Good luck!
3 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:59AM
fatjack
I would push back the wall behind the refrigerator to at least 1/2 the depth of fridge. The area indented to the right (in Dining Room) could be turned into a cabinet for dishes, serving pieces, etc). Of course, it depends on if there is sufficient room in Dining Room. Also, you might consider adding some molding above top cabinets. To my eye, they look too short, too boxy for the space.
5 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:05AM
mordecaibrown
I'm reading alot of redo advice. Great if you can consider it. Rather than throw out the baby with the bathwater, your original question "What would you add to side of refrigerator - pathway from kitchen to living room?" suggests to me that you are looking to transition the space rather than rework it. Check for some upholstery fabric - [maybe even something dramatic - zebra stripes] - staple it to a wood frame and now you have a lovely fabric wall. Inexpensive and adds interest.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 7:54AM
Leigh
Get rid of the fridge. What you saved on price of the fridge you will be spending on modifying your kitchen... in the end you will have spent more. A lesson learned ... sometimes what appears as the "deal of the century" isn't.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:58AM
wildsalmonkitchen
Cover your refrigerator with photo vinyl from an auto sign shop....you have seen those buses covered with photos advertising a play or the zoo? Same material....it is high quality, water and chemical proof. Perfect for kitchen applications. You need a high resolution photograph that you love. I used the texture
on an old cannery wall for the top of a fan and the door of my refrigerator.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:00AM
1655graff
We had a similar issue when we bpought our house.

We moved the refigerator and built it into the bank of (ceiling to floor) cabinets in the new location. We also changed the cabinet layout of the whole kitchen. Now we have a very handy counter top in that location. It acts as a staging area for formal dinners and its storage underneath is where all the not-so-small appliances are stored (mixer, rice cooker, panini press, etc.).

We looked at, but did not do:
1) cheapest: a) Add a sidepanel that matches the cabinets. b) Add a side panel and also re-do the cabinet above the refrigerator so it was the same depth as the fridge.
2) middlin': Replace the refrigerator with a counter depth one.
3) most expensive: Remodel, reconfigure, and change the shape of the kitchen and adjoining room. Issues with this idea: (i) no room in the adjoining room; (ii) would lose the pocket door between the rooms.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:05AM
PRO
Design Alternatives, Inc.
If you do not want to change to a counter depth refrigerator then wrap it in 3/4" panels that match your cabinets. It takes up the least amount of space. The side can be used for notes, calender, lists
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 8:19AM
Amy Stanley
Is there a way to have a magnetic chalk board made to stick to the side of your refrigerator rather then painting it? This would be the easiest solution and useful as well. Perhaps have a magnetic cork board made for the other side. I agree that painting the soffit the color of the cabinet would make the cabinets look taller and visually make the refrigerator a little less gigantic.

I did a little googling, you check out K&J magnets they will make the magnets strong enough to a)hold a fake wood panel to side of refrigerator or b) a framed chalkboard..
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 8:26AM
gmorton
You should clean out your cabinets first..
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:35AM
monica777
2 possiblilites only in my opinion. I've remodeled and flipped 5 homes..I would do one of the following. Remove a section of kitchen cabinets and put fridge on the flat back wall in the photo... THe cabinets can be moved/reworked to fit rest of space and fill in where fridge is standing now. Putting lipstick on a pig is a waste of money, and you will never be happy ultimately to some quicker fix of this. Do it right the first time!! .Frig's need to look 'built' in to work in a space. Having counter top space on the end in that current fridge area now would look best. ****OTHER idea.. is to make a narrower room passway ie.. use the sq ft right of the open side of fridge, to build a return counter space (maybe 5 or 6 ft worth..I cant tell entire size of kitchen from just this photo)(new additional cabinets in THIS space going left to right as we see this photo. That would extend wall 24 inches behind fridge INTO walk way opening) This will enclose the frig where you have it now and you will only take 24 inches of walk space to do and eleveate this entire problem and give you more needed cabinet space for minimal cost. YOu also get to keep the fridge you have. PS.. If you can borrow from wall in back of fridge by resetting it some if its a closet or you can bump out other side a few inches and re-drywall a tiny area... your fridge will then LOOK/be counter depth for best aesthetics.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 8:53AM
ksl3h
Cut into the wall behind the fridge, move it half way into the other room, and then box it with narrow shelving and a message board on the back side, and a bookcase on the kitchen entry side.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:26AM
PRO
Restoring our 1890 Victorian
It’s hard to tell if you would want to recess the fridge into the other room, but that’s what we did… we were able to take room from our basement stairwell, so it didn’t cut into our living space…

Depending on your layout, possibly you could do some built-in bookcases on the remainder of the reconfigured wall? Having the fridge flush made a big difference for us.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:34AM
Debbie Crane
A counter depth fridge is the way to go!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:42AM
cmgardner85
There are murals you could put on the side to hide the fridge.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 9:48AM
loiacono
Frigo Design in Brewerton, NY sells Stainless Steel Side Panels so that the side of your refrigerator will match the front.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 10:15AM
PRO
Go
I like the photo idea, except for the offgasing aspect. At least there's no leeching, its not like you'd be preping the food on a vynil counter. But consideribg the other strong elements in the air-- garlic onions, lime, smoke in general-- offgassing vynil becomes a more elevated threat.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:25AM
herteljanelle
Paint the side with chalkboard paint to have a fun menu board, grocery list, etc.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Wow - that's a big fridge - Gable it in with same colour as your cabinetry - try and make it look like it belongs but really - it's too big for this kitchen.

Can you recess it back into the wall - restructure the drywalled wall to get that fridge from projecting into the kitchen so much?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:32AM
mcarpenter1173
There’s not enough information here to provide a solid suggestion, so I have questions:
Are you removing the existing cabinets, or just re-facing/resurfacing them?
What is the layout of the kitchen?
Can you relocate the ‘fridge, and build around it?

If it were me, I would remove the dated soffit (empty space above your cabinets), and install cabinets up to the ceiling. Not only would this provide you with more storage space, but the taller cabinets would not appear so dwarfed by the ‘fridge. Additionally, should you go that route, a matching panel on both sides of that behemoth of a refrigerator and a 24-inch deep cabinet over it.

I’ve attached a concept I worked on, to give you an idea.
9 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:01PM
rosebud3
Definitely try to camouflage that elephant in the room. Yikes!
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 12:09PM
anneinthegarden
I would start by trying to get whoever sold you the beast (fridge) to take it back and get something smaller. It is way out of scale and makes the small kitchen look tiny and cramped. No matter what else you do this will always look wrong.

Next, It really depends on what you want or need. You could laminate the side of the fridge or use a self adhesive cork board and a frame or , you could also build a narrow frame and have small shelves or a pegboard to hang your pots.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:34PM
melanieinpr
Wow- no need to be rude or mean! This person is looking for advice and is obviously in the middle of a remodel- hence no cabinet doors and empty cabinets below. That said- I think recessing the refrigerator into the room behind the kitchen is an excellent option if possible. I looked at this fridge and was considering doing just that.
4 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:12PM
Adele Kieser
a full length dry/faux wall with 3inch deep shelves for photo, nick nacks etc. will steal space from passage way but at least the bulk of the fridge will only be noticable from the one side.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:18PM
alishaz10
way too big of a refrigerator for that space! It either needs to look like a built in, or you need to get a fridge that is shallower so it doesnt stick out so far....
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:52PM
skytonia
The frig up-stages the older style kitchen! A better choice might have been a vintage looking frig. The stainless steel is a beautiful focal point but unless you update the kitchen or build an attractive wall to enclose it....it will look like its riding solo & running the show! Thats Tough! Good Luck:-)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:56PM
PRO
Imperial Kitchens and Baths, Inc.
Counter depth fridge is about the only option we would recommend, if you do not have another space in the room for the one you are showing us. (Recessing *this* fridge may not be viable, it depends on the amount of air-flow the appliance needs. Built-in fridges are manufactured to draw air differently than free-standing fridges.) If these options do not work for you, replacing the cabinet above the fridge with a 24" deep cabinet will help visually balance the area - though the soffit would need to be changed as well so that it works with the flow. Good luck.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:56PM
dgdgdg
I'm with the "relocate it elsewhere" camp. It's size is trumping its sleek beauty.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 3:29PM
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
I'm going to make a couple of assumptions: 1. You are refacing, refinishing or replacing the doors and drawer fronts. 2. The refrigerator is the size you need and is going to remain in the same spot.

As others have stated, the best solution to hide the sides of the refrigerator would be to add side panels and replace the shallow cabinet over the fridge with a deep one that is pulled to the front of the side panels. I would recommend that the side panels be no shallower than 30" deep to get maximum coverage and allow your refrigerator to be pulled far enough forward to allow for the chord. Ventilation is likely coming out the front in the bottom.

I've attached a couple of drawings that are an alternative to removing the existing cabinet over the refrigerator. You could use it as a support piece and create an open shelf which I think might be a less expensive alternative.
8 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:49PM
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
I see that I failed to add in the soffits over the cabinets in my sketches. You can still do the shelf idea with or without soffits. You could also extend the soffit over the refrigerator cabinet/panels.
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:04PM
revss
Would a flat TV fit above the frig in the latest drawing, or is that a bad place esthetically or ventilation-wise?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:19PM
cherimitchell
Leave the wall color as it is, change the cabinet color to grey. Martha Stewart cabinets at Lowes or Home Depot has beautiful grey cabinets that you could look at to see how they would look.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:03PM
ellasmom11
Hi, I would get a really thin board the size of your refrigerator and apply chalk board paint as another person suggested. I would then add a frame all around and paint it a great color. Do 2 colors and distress it. Maybe add some nifty hooks across top or cork board for messages and pictures.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:00PM
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
Personally, I think the space above the fridge is a bit too high for a TV though I don't think you would have an issue with ventilation if it were a flat screen TV. I like the chalkboard idea for the right outside panel too! I have one similarly placed next to mine and I love it! For the person that commented about no magnets, sometimes they don't stick. They don't stick to my stainless fridge. You can get magnetic paint for that chalkboard panel and have it work as a magnet board and chalk board.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 11:43PM
Christian Tomyn
You could get a sheet of stainless steel to match the front of the fridge
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 2:34AM
83ocean
Paint it with chalkboard paint or display pictures attached with magnets.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:48AM
anneinthegarden
The more I look at this fridge the more I think it vents from the rear, and will need air circulation from the sides or top. Before closing it in, I would look over the install and warranty pack to see what limits they put on air ventalation, so you don't burn out the motor or invalidate the warranty.
Second, if you close it in, is there enough room to pull it out to service it? (clean coils, replace water line, stop a leak)???
An easier fix might be able to hinge two frames or one larger one to the wall. That could give you a chalk board on the inside and a display board on the outside. Might even do the upper in pegboard if you had some Gorgeous pots and pans to display.
If it were me, I would get a smaller white fridge,(that should save you a few hundred dollars) have it delivered to an auto shop for a custom paint job.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:58AM
mountainbuzz
Go with PamDesigns 3D. I'm a retired Architect and after all the comments, I think her's is the best solution. Do the changes in stages. A little at a time. Nice frig. it's just like mine in the same location in my kitchen. I keep the side absolutely clean.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:21PM
PRO
PamDesigns 3D
Thanks mountainbuzz. I've been a kitchen designer for about 10 years and enclosing refrigerators as I drew it is certainly not a new idea. It is very commonly done that way. I have a very similar refrigerator like gnfbyars' and was surprised to find that newer refers nearly always vent to the front rather than the old style that vent to the back. Even if it does vent to the back, it's all the more reason to use 30" deep side panels. Unless there is an island or other unmovable object within 3' in front of the refrigerator (which there should never be), there should be no issue in getting it out for servicing (which should also be a rare occurrence with a newer fridge). The reason the refrigerator is painted gray on the sides instead of stainless steel is that it is presupposed that the sides would be covered.
3 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 12:52PM
suzieqdesigns
sell the fridge and buy a counter depth fridge.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 4:13PM
firecarouge
I would had a sticker : "Oversize" !
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 4:24AM
peonys
Yep, sell the fridge; too big! Or, keep the fridge & buy a new house!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
Amy Stanley
Has the homeowner returned to this thread since posting??
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 5:40PM
henwood
Remove the upper cabinet and change the fridge to a European style counter depth fridge (Liebherr or Miele) that is taller. You end up with almost as much fridge space but it does not block the room off like that one does. You can't really use the upper cabinet any ways.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 5:49PM
pcmom1
Sorry, too many comments to read so I will just jump in: I would create a large framed blackboard, around 2 by 4 feet, out of the same sort of wood as the cabinets. Then just attach that to the frig with industrial strength velcro and have fun writing great saying or important info. Suggestion: "Choices for dinner: Take it or leave it"!
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 6:04PM
Carolina Girl
It's a refrigerator and it's in the kitchen why would you want to hide it? Use it and enjoy it! If you must hide it try placing a door or louvered panels along side or hinge them from the wall so you can swing them away for cleaning etc.
1 Like   March 2, 2013 at 3:51PM
PRO
Savena Doychinov, CKD/Design Studio International
My recommendation: Remove/sell the existing fridge (WAY TOO BIG for the space!) and replace it with fully integrated refrigerator with side and front panels. Perhaps you would like to consider a smaller -30" fully integrated fridge - if this one remains in the house. No other change or addition to the fridge will have as big of an impact to your existing kitchen. Yes, they do cost more, but if you search, perhaps a local appliance showroom will have one on sale as they plan to replace it with the next model. And if/when you decide to remodel the kitchen, you'll be able to use it in the new design.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 10:33AM
pcmom1
Seems like the poster placed a question and then never returned for an answer.

Lots of comments here! Couple of things maybe not suggested: paint sofit to match cabinets so that cabinets will appear taller and help to balance frig.

And if problem stems from seeing frig from other rooms: maybe add a swinging door between kitchen and other spaces. A throw back to another time, but not all kitchens have to be open.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 11:05AM
Elizabeth Murray
Wow!! That is a big fridge!! Must have a hungry husband. Tom??
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 3:26PM
baha
There is no getting around it---fridges are a huge, important item in a kitchen and are sometimes a difficult thing to deal with, especially if you have limited space. How large is your doorway going to the living room? If it is large, perhaps narrow shelving in the form of a bookcase or enclosed narrow cabinetry for extra storage that would go longside the fridge. The cabinets above the fridge would then be better to come to the front of the fridge. Cabinets at the back of a fridge hardly get used because they are just too awkward--unless you are a gymnyst! Good luck with your renovation!
1 Like   April 15, 2013 at 8:17AM
pcmom1
I use the cabinet above my frig for storing Christmas decorations. Then I only access once a year!
2 Likes   April 15, 2013 at 8:32AM
shopmavenva
I agree, PamDesigns 3D purposes the best solution. Another clever idea I saw posted here using old doors to frame a fridge would work, too.
That said, it is obvious the kitchen has been prepped for a make-over and that this brand new fridge is a prized possession. (Although, it seems like very important feedback that some "professionals" here fail to recognize a renovation in-process and are willing to tell a proud homeowner who just bought something very expensive, "return it." Not somebody I'd hire...)
2 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 3:19AM
PRO
Sustainable Dwellings
Add on a walk-in cooler...lol
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:00AM
chookchook2
The fridge is too big. We shop often on the way home from places, on our bikes. We see people we know and have a little chat. We eat fresh food, not much frozen. We have a small fridge/freezer that costs less to run. That looks like a space ship.
0 Likes   November 2, 2013 at 4:01AM
elainemckenna
Toughened coloured glass panel which you could continue over to the wall over the presses.
1 Like   November 2, 2013 at 4:08AM