Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Redoing dining room
jill1971
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for suggestions on hardwood flooring color/style, curtains for sliding door and dining room table. All of the moldings and doors will be white.
The home is a 1920's dutch colonial. I love dark walnut flooring with matte finish but am not sure how it would look in my home.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Visible dust every couple days is what you will see with a walnut floor. If that doesn't bother you, then you are good to go.
Before you paint the wood work white, check out the 120+ off whites in Benjamin Moore. I especially like navajo white which is a creamy white vs. a hospital white.
February 22, 2013 at 6:47pm   
Manon Floreat
I'll echo Engrav's sentiments regarding the dark wood floors. I think the flooring you have now is quite nice. I would consider a larger area rug, though. What you currently have doesn't allow enough for chair scoot. In terms of dining table, you might like one of the farm styles paired with simple upholstered chairs for a traditional look

Dining Room

Or something more modern if your preferences lean towards eclectic - such as below.

Farm Table

Once you have your area rug in place, you can use that to inform your color choice for the window coverings. A new chandelier would be nice as well. There are many choices that will meet your preferences.

What styles do you tend to gravitate towards?
February 22, 2013 at 7:02pm     
jill1971
Thank you both. I don't want to be cleaning so often. I will have to find a new color for the hardwood. I like pottery barn/restoration hardware type things, but better quality. A farm table would be good with upholstered chairs. So area rug should be my first purchase after the floors are done?
February 22, 2013 at 8:14pm   
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Your floors work fine as they are but if you are wanting to change them why not get a bigger area rug for dining room and other areas as well.
February 22, 2013 at 8:22pm   
jill1971
thanks - my floors are damaged and need to be replaced - already sanded once they are too far gone now. I like the idea of a bigger area rug.
February 22, 2013 at 8:29pm   
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Oh okay well as suggested darker color will show up dust more than a light colored wood floor.
February 22, 2013 at 8:41pm   
Cindy Quinton
If your floors are real wood floors, have them distressed as heavily as possible, then done with a very dark tone allowed to "grab" on the damaged areas and then wiped off, and finished with a matte or satin sheen. Then you get the darker tones that are so popular, without the overall dark. It will hide dirt and debris well....I see it in new builds all the time.
February 22, 2013 at 9:12pm   
Manon Floreat
Hi Jill1971. Yes, decide on your floor finish, then get your area rug. It will really help direct you with the color choices for your room as well as the feel you want.

My suggestion would be to choose a floor treatment and finish appropriate to the vintage of your home - staying in the medium tones.
February 22, 2013 at 9:47pm   
jill1971
thank you all!
I will look into medium tones and enjoy less cleaning

Engrav had mentioned off whites for the molding - I had planned hospital white:) Can you tell me why you suggested off white? The molding style will be changed to the original moldings which were very plain and wide (3 1/2"). also I am getting a new sliding door and I was going to have the interior painted white from factory - I was considering black but got intimidated by that - colors are not my strong suit. any suggestions?
February 23, 2013 at 4:59am