Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Design Plan Needed, Please!!
angiesur
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Open, blank canvas needs personality... on a dime!

Where do I start? Windows, Floors or Walls??

Ignore - or work with the current furniture.

Thanks for your time and ideas!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
With a floor that neutral and in good condition, I would start with new furnishings and/or paint.
February 22, 2013 at 6:45pm   
angiesur
Thanks, Jayme!

This is the first view from the entry!!
This is looking "thru" the living room (narrow - 14') with the "study" or dining immediately to the left (open w/ column);
The kitchen is next on the left (on the other side of the study) with a hearthroom and sunroom directly ahead.

In the Living Room there is NO focal point... no fireplace. Ugh!

I've moved the mirror and added a small table in the entry - which is just to the right of where this picture was taken.
February 22, 2013 at 7:01pm     
Jayme H.
What colors do u like/are u getting new furniture? You already have a good idea on placement with the way u have floated your sofa..
February 22, 2013 at 7:03pm   
angiesur
This photo is looking back into the entry... from the Living... study or dining to the right.
Love/hate the columns slash ledges - not sure what to do with them.
Decor... greenery... paint... trim?????
Help!!
February 22, 2013 at 7:08pm   
Jayme H.
Darker furniture with the light floor would add contrast...
February 22, 2013 at 7:09pm   
Jayme H.
If u hate them, do not add anything to make them stand out more. With an open floor plan/high ceilings, etc. I think lighter colors are less jolting where the rooms meet. Therefore, a lighter to medium neutral is what I like..They don't look bad at all right now, and they blend into the walls..I am going to attach some color scheme ideas in pics.
February 22, 2013 at 7:13pm   
angiesur
Colors: Greens/Turquoise/Golden Yellow range.
Have Blacks and Browns in heartroom & kitchen flooring, tables and accent pieces.
Although many pieces could be painted - white??
Really thinking that window treatments would add the punch I'm looking for...
I have tons of accessories not shown. Finials, sconces, candle holders, etc.
February 22, 2013 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
The space is too open in length , width and height. You might have to outline floor space to differentiate family room sitting area, etc. Also the wall cutouts , either they need to we closed off with sliding glass doors, drapes etc, or need to have different purpose ,for example like a reading area with bookshelves. office area, meditation room etc, having bright rugs, outlining the areas.The floor rugs could be bright or dark colors like orange, brown etc. You can have an accent wall . If you could upload a floor plan with measurements would help .
February 22, 2013 at 7:22pm     
angiesur
Thank you! Will scan in the floor plan tomorrow!! Would love to know your thoughts!
February 22, 2013 at 7:28pm     
lastplace
I think you should paint the wall where the pillars are a little darker or a little lighter than your main room, otherwise its just a wide open space of boring beige. You may not like them but you should try to work with them. It is a simple fix and will give the room more definition,visual interest and look more fresh and up to date
February 22, 2013 at 7:30pm     
Jayme H.
Room differentiation does not seem an issue to me at this point. I cannot see a big problem with that..you do have some openings that define your areas...but what I was trying to say was that if you use very bold colors in room that are somewhat open to the others, it can get choppy looking if they are quite different colors. Just my humble opinion. If what u want is a distinctive, change in style and/or color from room to room, then a differentiating point may be called for..but often it can be worked to blend together.
February 22, 2013 at 7:50pm     
bevballew
If you are not planning on new furniture, first move the round mirror. Looks out of place there. Take the two chairs on each side of the tv and either put them near to the couch creating an u shape or L shape. In other words, perpendicular to the couch. You need large artwork above the tv. Find another place for the plant. Try greenery above to see how it looks.
February 22, 2013 at 8:13pm     
More Discussions
2 door Entryway to living room
Please help me decide how to model this. We have a...
NEW HOME.....BLANK SLATE!
We recently moved in and am ready to decorate! I have...
bedroom color
Need help with color for bedroom
Need Help with Curb Appeal
We can't figure out what to do to the front of our...
Stays or Goes?
I just purchased this ornamental grass and I am debating...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.