Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Demolish original bathroom?? Help!!
justmejoanne
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I live in a 1930 Spanish Colonial Revival home--many beautiful period touches throughout---and a beautiful, original, Art Deco bath which I absolutely love. The bath has lilac subway tiles on the walls, a lilac tub set behind an arch and a very small separate shower. To accommodate my family, I plan to do an addition to the back of the house to add a small master suite.

The designer I hired told me that I need to demolish the original bath and relocate it. He insists that I can buy new lilac tiles and re-create the bath, but I know that the new tiles won't have the same old look of the original bath. Also, friends have suggested that if I rebuild the bath, I may want to consider something more neutral than lilac--like white subway tiles---for resale reasons.

If I don't relocate the bath, I will have to close off the window and the bathroom will be windowless (because the add-on master will be behind the window). If so, I plan to add a large skylight in the original bath. The designer's point is that the whole addition will be governed by keeping the original bath---whereas if he has the freedom to move the bath, he can design a better master add-on.

Advice??? Is this bathroom worth saving? I love the lilac and am so attached to it---but is that just me?? If I move the bath, should I try to reproduce the original lilac tile look or do a period-looking white bath? Will the add on be funky by bumping out the back and making the original bath windowless with a skylight? (Obviously, I will make it so there was no sign of the original window.) Help!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sayboone
I think that bathroom is amazing and if it's in as good a condition as it appears, I think you should try to save it. I'm a sucker for funky bathrooms, though!! Maybe you need to talk to a second designer who wants to find a way to work with it instead of looking at it as an obstacle.
February 22, 2013 at 6:57pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
sayboone
P.S. Sounds like you really love it....you should keep it. It's is original, unique and makes your home special and "yours."
February 22, 2013 at 6:59pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
kadodi
Anything that you "absolutely love" is worth saving... Whether anyone else thinks so or not. It is your home and your love. is there anywhere else to build the addition?
February 22, 2013 at 7:06pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
justmejoanne
Sayboone and Kadodi: Thanks so much for your input! Would you still like the bath just as much if there were no window--just a skylight instead?
February 22, 2013 at 7:09pm   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I love the floor tiles!! Even the threshold and trim around the shower...yet questioning the wall tile!! Maybe a better picture might help truly show the color!!?? The faux paint finish should obviously go though...if you can keep anything vintage...I'd keep it!! Good luck.....
February 22, 2013 at 7:13pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
groveraxle
OK, I think the bath could survive losing the window (and gaining a skylight), but how will you deal with the tile and trim where the window is removed? Maybe you could leave the window frame and turn it into a mirror... Just thinking out loud, but something to consider.
February 22, 2013 at 7:14pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
lastplace
.I think its beautiful, UNIQUE and it makes you smile. It is also paid for. Spend your money somewhere else.
February 22, 2013 at 7:17pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
Jayme H.
The character of the home includes the bath...it is beautiful..Additional lighting may help the light issue..perhaps even be the answer to the lighting issue once the window is removed...I think u have the right instincts.. I love your bathroom.
February 22, 2013 at 7:18pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the bath and think that the point that Groveraxel makes is a good one. It is also a great answer to trying to match the original tiles.
February 22, 2013 at 7:19pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Save a piece of the tile and take to Ann Sacks. They can do a custom. You CAN"T have a windowless master bath. That is just not an option. Must have natural light. Besides, once you see all the spanish tile at Ann Sacks you will fall in love with something else.
February 22, 2013 at 7:22pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
sayboone
I think you could also turn the original window into a recessed display cabinet. Add some glass shelves with a few decorative accents and it will look great. The previously stated idea of turning it into a mirror was a great thought as well.
February 22, 2013 at 7:25pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
lastplace
I have a windowless master. I added a skylight that opens for fresh air moisture control and plently of natural light
February 22, 2013 at 7:34pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
dollhouse49
You have a beautiful bathroom, so many people that I know of look long and hard to find original kitchens, and bathrooms in historic homes. Now that so many people are choosing to remodel
bathrooms with beige or white, bathrooms like yours have become more rare, and that just might
get you more money in the long run.
February 22, 2013 at 7:42pm        Thanked by justmejoanne
justmejoanne
Thanks for all of the comments! I should clarify that this will not be the master bath once I do the addition---the master will have lots of windows and light, and doors leading to the garden. This will become the second bath. I do like the idea of converting the window into a mirror or shelves---as long as it doesn't look like I closed off a window. (I saw a house in my neighborhood where this was done and it was very obvious that they just built on behind the bath---looked very hokey.) When I bought this home years ago, I was wowed by the bath---but instantly thought that one would either love or hate it. I do love it---but wonder if it's worth letting the entire remodel revolve around preserving the original bath. I so appreciate hearing comings---both pro and con!
February 22, 2013 at 7:54pm     
Jayme H.
Do what works for you..I love the bathroom and don't imagine it would "ruin" anything..but I am not the best judge of that as I cannot see it in person.
February 22, 2013 at 8:59pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
mveasey
A skylight will give daylight off in a different direction, so the tile colour might look a little different than what you are used to... Just a thought.
Ann Sacks and custom, could be pricey...another thought.
You are paying your designer to make something work, that you will be pleased with in the end, maybe he or she should be reminded if that! Otherwise good comments here.
March 2, 2013 at 7:35pm      Thanked by justmejoanne
GEE Contracting and Development
YOUR BATH IS BEAUTIFUL, I AM TRYING TO REPRODUCE ONE USING LEMURIAN BLUE LILAC GRANITE. YOU ALREADY HAVE A HEAD START! JUST FIX WHAT IS WRONG AND LOVE IT. CRYSTAL CHANDELIERS TWINS WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL AND HELP WITH LIGHT.
March 2, 2013 at 7:46pm      Thanked by justmejoanne