Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room !!!
darya1
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved to a house and bought this furniture. I need advice how to decor the space please.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It seems like you need to choose one of the sofas and then bring in chairs. The two sofas are not playing off each other very well.
6 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:41PM
lastplace
try reversing the couches, which would put the lounge part of the plain couch close to the fireplace. The two might not be working together now but if you choose the right accessories you could pull it together. I think its a great room to work with
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:48PM
Manon Floreat
That sounds like a really good option, lastplace. I would look for pillows for the solid sofa that reference the patterned one. Chocolate, ivory and perhaps a little pewter. Art and mirrors (or a combination) flanking the fireplace in a balanced manner will help unify the differing sofa styles.

I really like your window treatment choice.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:55PM
calikym
Nice lighting.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:59PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
The sofas are OK, the wood in the coffee table bother me..I would rather see a metal base of some sort. It looks clunky..rustic to me. It almost serves no one. You need an end table & lamp on this end of the print sofa, and maybe small square glass tables with metal bases that can be moved to where you need them at the time (every seat needs a place to set a glass). In the niches, I agree, it should definitely be balanced. I would suggest a pair of chests with a pair of large mirrors over them..maybe even round, include a pair of dramatic lamps. On the wall, large colorful art. I am going to assume that over the fireplace will be a large TV set, (I would rather see large art)..and in that regard your seating in this arrangement doesn't work very well. It is good, however, for conversation.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:07PM
stpaulkelly
Color! Different brightly colored rug. Pillows. Throws. Paintings.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:16PM
darya1
Thank you for the great comments, I do have a pillow that matches pattened sofa, have a look at the new image, see what you think
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:17PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Some pillows that match the pattern of the colorful couch and place them on the solid sofa. Add some art work to the walls. As suggested the colorful sofa may work better in front of the window.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 8:18PM
bevballew
Very nice. I would flip the couches, put the pillows on the longer couch. On each side of the fp, either very colorful art work that complement each other or mirrors and some type of table or buffet below. I have on each side of my fp mirrors, a table with a lamp. Just stunning! I have large mirrors floor to ceiling and then a beautiful mirror over that. You do not need floor to ceiling mirror.problem what goes above fp if art on each side. Maybe a mirror. Simplicity on the mantle. Please share the results. Love the drapery. Gree the wood place on coffee table too heavy. End table would be nice.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:23PM
lionnessone
Choose one of the sofa's; I would like to see two chairs in the room, not necessary the same style, one arm chair in a solid colour and a armless chair in maybe a wide strip, in cream and pink or red and blue or green and white wide strip. Move the sofa facing the fireplace and place a chair on either side of the fireplace but close to the coffee table; by the way, I love your coffee table. You seem to like clean lines. Add pillows in the same colours in your chairs. Contemporary art would look great on either side of the fireplace. Check out Felice Sharp, I believe you will find her pieces at Pryor Fine Art in Atlantic GA.

Another option: Continue the mantel all the way to the window and on the other side to the wall. You will utilize the mantel as a shelf. Then install thick heavy looking shelving on both sides of the fireplace above the mantel, below the mantel install a cabinet on both sides, one side will have cupboards and the other side will have drawers. Use a light stain on the wood shelves and cabinets. Yes only one sofa and two chairs.Add you personal touch to your shelving.

[houzz=
]
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 9:04PM
hockey456
Thanks for the second photo. The print pillows help with balance. I too would prefer chairs in lieu of the print sofa, but you just bought it so I imagine you love it. Pull the sofas closer together so the table joins in. It's too floaty. Then get a console table for behind the sofa (you pick and experiment which sofa). Art, mirrors, accessories and lamps.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:04PM
Darzy
I like the sofas where they are. If they were reversed, the chaise part would encroach on the FP. But, I would schooch them a bit closer together. I agree with Barbara Griffith Designs about a metal end table on this side of the print sofa. I vote no pillows for the sleek look. I think two fabulous original canvas art flanking the FP walls would be big stars and take care of color. Something round above the FP to speak to the curves of the table and break up the rectangles a bit. How about a modern, semi flush chandelier in the space? Lovely room!
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:21PM
PRO
Serra Design Inc
It's like Ricky and Lucy meet the MTV Cribs, whats going on here, was this the Brady bunch marriage where he brings in the 80's sofa to meet your great piece of mid century modern. The room has great potential, I love the lines in the space but you have to decide which one goes bye bye, I would choose the mid century modern to stay and call the local college to have some poor dorm kids trip out on that funky swirly sofa. And invest in some mid century chairs, they are only appreciating in value and would transform the room.
3 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:46PM
nononanna
Yep - way too much sofa goin on there - maybe not the college if you just bought the other one, but definitely either another room or your sister-in-law's house. Consoles or bookcases on either side of the FP, or one each.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:15AM
Jayme H.
I like that chair..Serra posted!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:24AM
nancy22032
After looking at the pics, I think plain sofa is too long to swap sides of the room. I really like it where it is. I also like the coffee table - it has such great contrast between the angles of the wood and the round glass. Please don't believe everything has to be metal these days, wood adds such warmth. A few Shelves in a wood of the same color would add interest on the FP walls and draw the eye to that wall. You have a great start but think adding some warmth as you don't want too formal a look as perhaps this room adjoins the kitchen? I admire your courage in choosing the print sofa, maybe a nice soft colored throw would tone it down a little.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:20AM
sondramartina
They just purchased new furniture and someone is advising them to get rid of it.?.!!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:37AM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Now everything has to work backwards from that contemporary design on the sofa-the swirly sofa determines everything now from pillows, color, down to the rug. It has to work together. Proceed cautiously and you will have to get scales correct as well. I'd also put in floating modern shelves on either side of the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:53AM
soberg
Move couches closer together to create a true conversational area. Each seated person should be able to reach the coffee table without rising from seat.

You can make the couches work. The angled one is just a little bit more of a challenge. They're both very pretty.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:06AM
bevballew
I agree re people saying to replace what you just bought. I think your theme is cool. I think you have done a great job. It is not my style as I am traditional but I love contemporary and your look is very nice. I would try moving in the sofas. You can add bright pillows like the pic above or use what you have. Then you decide what to do each side of the fp. Shelves are a gorgeous idea too and then you add beautiful pieces of art, sculpted pieces, etc. perhaps mirror behind shelves.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:19AM
bevballew
It would be boring if everybody had the same taste! In my community we had a designer who was considered the elite and designer to have. He did absolutely gorgeous work but people started saying ithat every house you walk into the look was his. No imagination to work with something different. Same chairs with different fabric. People got tired of it. My point. Why tell them to get rid of what they just bought. They like it. It can be embellished to be stunning.
4 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:05AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Do not use the pillows that match either sofa..all different and colorful.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:49AM
tatjanaoh
fIRST OF ALL FIND WHATS YOUR FAVORITE COLOR,THAN IS OK:)HERE ARE SOME IDEAS FOR YOU
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:57AM
tatjanaoh
PUT A WOODEN FLOOR,SMALL CARPITS,AND PAINT YOUR WALLS WITH WARM COLORS OR ART
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:03AM
bevballew
I like the owners look better. The above are too ornate and different from what I think they are trying to achieve. They just bought their furniture so I assume they like it.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:08AM
PRO
Serra Design Inc
I had a coffee table idea for your new space. Do not get weighed down by the bookshelf look to flank the fireplace. it will kill the edgy vibe you have started in this space
Each side of the fireplace I would hang huge artwork a large poster art on one side of Joan Miro and on the other a Matisse
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:13AM
danduna2
Yellow works very well with gray and will give this room some color. Try something like in the picture I attached. I think it will work well with this living room.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:20AM
PRO
Serra Design Inc
And a large mid century inspired wire sculpture over the FP mantle
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:20AM
danduna2
I think you should add some yellow throw pillows and a throw blanket so the room gets some color into it.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:22AM
danduna2
Some new and modern light fixtures can work well for this room. I think something like what I attached will work.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:23AM
danduna2
I think this room lacks art and color so some new curtains and some artwork can really work for the room.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:26AM
danduna2
A built-in bookcase is a great focal element to add to any space. I think it could work well on one of the 2 open walls next to your fireplace. I think you should add maybe a golden bookcase and you can add decor and use it to put decorations inside like family pictures and some decorative books.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 9:31AM
PRO
TVCoverUps
A lot of comments have been made about the room lacking artwork. I think a solution to this while still using the fireplace for the TV placement would to use TVCoverUps. Framed art or panel adds to the room's decor until it swings upward to reveal the hidden TV. It comes in automatic and manual lifts and allows for TV tilting hardware. Each unit is custom to the viewer and space, so it is always best to give us a call.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:50AM
anne dee
Here's another one from Houzz Ideabook
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:57AM
lessismoore
I think I would like it better if the rug went either all the way under both sofas, or under neither. Right now, just the edge of the one sofa is hanging off. Is the white at the base of fire place wall molding, or is it a baseboard heater? Depending on what happens on the wall, I'd be tempted to paint it to match the wall color so it is less noticeable.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:15AM
PRO
House of Ann
Hi,for this project I suggest two wing back chairs by the fire place ,keep that floral couch let it face the fire place .let the chairs take that brown color on the couch don't forget to add some pillows keep that nice rug good luck.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:20AM
PRO
Bentley Design
I like what you have so far, especially the table . I would place a rectangular table of the same style by the end of the leather sofa. I would put two tallish darker wood and glass tables on either side of the fireplace. A large modern print on either side of the fireplace. Just my thoughts.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:29AM
PRO
Designing Richmond
I agree with Serra Design.. .Huge Hip paintings right and left of fire place! I would start there... the rest will fall into place...
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:48AM
lisaa
I like what you have done so far too. I would ensure dimmer light switches are on the walls and you have interesting large, modern style paintings, with some bold colors, I like the above suggestions for Matise. If you ceilings can handle it you could have large art above tables, but if they are shorter I would just go for large, bold art. I like the throw pillows picking up colours on the opposite couch to bring them together, but I would also pick up on a colour from the chosen art work too. Don't get too matchy with pillows, and odd one here or there is good. Above the fireplace, I see tile, and it looks like plugs for a TV, I would do a tv, or warm up the tile with another painting on canvas or a large artistic piece that balances and complements whatever art you choose for the other walls. In this case I don't think the wall above the fireplace is as much a focal point but bridges the two other pieces and should relate but not compete with them.
You have done a great job so far. I like the chair suggestions too, but you really can fit more family into couches (kids that sit beside parents, etc). I would add some living plants, something with life and fresh green colour or succulents. I would add a bowl or small item like a candle votive in alarger size on top of the coffee table.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:52AM
lionnessone
What do you think?
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:51PM
jjandhk
darya1....how are you doing? I love your space! Have some of these ideas here helped you?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:59PM
bevballew
Assume the idea of shelving as picture above is not with the thick wood shelves. The look above does not go with the room.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:00PM
Darzy
Please don't "kill" the vibe you have going on by putting in bookcases on either side of the FP. Less is more here, IMHO.
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:29PM
darya1
Thank you all for the comments, yes we chose the furniture, and the reason why we didn't go with a sofa and two chairs was that we needed more seating space as our get togethers are usually busy.
We wanted to give the space a contemporary look, so we decided to go with precedent furniture.
I like the idea of having bookshelves, however We would like to keep it less busy, so idea of having hip paintings are great.
I am going to look for some large hip paintings, or canvas art painting, and leave the area above fp for TV
will pull sofas closer together, and keep you posted with pictures.
Thank you again for comments.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:32PM
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
Love, LOVE your wall space. How great it is you get to work with that. I just completed several paintings which would look great and really bring out the room. I also work on commission. My website is www.jul313.com. Contact me at julie@jul313.com with any questions. Have fun!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 2:26PM
malbec
I'm just a *normal* person, not a designer (ha), but if this was my place (and I had the means) I would get a carpenter to install built-in bookcases on either side of the fireplace. I would use walnut, stained dark chocolate (but not as dark as your floors). I would be going for a timeless look of high quality craftmanship. Another option would be to use ready made bookcases, but wallpaper the backs of them with a pattern that somehow complemented the fabric on the couch on the left. I would find some soft, chocolate brown pillows for the neutral sofa, too. I like your room - good luck!
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Alternatives to bifold door for new bathroom?
We just moved into our new co-op apartment. Our bathroom...
Help in tying rooms together
I love Houzz but this is my very first post! My main...
Long and narrow room
Hi everyone, I have a sort of long awkward space that...
Need help with tv room/man cave
The loft in our new home is big! It's longer than it...
I was given a painting that could be cool OR maybe it is totally lame?
It is an original Paris street scene by Antonio De...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.