Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Cabinets & Hardwood Floor color
murphleea
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is an example of what my kitchen cabinets will look like in my new home. I'm having trouble deciding what color to stain the hardwood (oak) floors. My builder said he prefers to use Minwax stain. Should I go with a stain lighter than the cabinets or darker? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Depends on where else the floors are. If the dark floors work well with your living room furnishings...do that. If a lighter tone works with the rest of the house...there you have it. Please do something better than the sample with the backsplash, OK?
February 22, 2013 at 8:36pm   
murphleea
Entire main floor will be hardwood. Furnishings are all pretty much neutral colors. Wide open concept floor plan and there will be a large stone fireplace. I just wanted something that went with the cottage/woodsy theme. I guess its just a personal preference, I've seen everything on Houzz from very light almost white washed to really dark walnut on the floors for the "cottage" look. Thanks.
February 23, 2013 at 6:21am   
bevballew
Beautiful cabinets. Wait and see what designers say. I say stay with a color similar to the cabinets. From many pics on houzz I have seen where cabinets and floor match looks great. Otherwise other choice would be a very dark color, not cherry.
February 23, 2013 at 6:41am   
feeny
Lighter will be a bit easier to care for. They will show dirt and dust and footprints much less than a darker shade.
February 23, 2013 at 6:58am   
PRO
Tisdale Home Solutions, LLC
I usually wait on the color choice on the hardwoods until the cabinets are in. Have your builder put samples of stain on the floor next to the cabinets so you can see how the light in the room affects the floor and cabinet color. When deciding, remember that the hardwoods will be in more areas than just the kitchen. I would try to find a color that compliments but don't try to match the color. Another idea is to have your builder install a couple rows of a hardwood in the openings between areas that will be stained a different color to be used as a transition and then select a new color for the adjoining room. for example ... Natural stain on white oak in the kitchen, couple rows of Brazillian Cherry between the kitchen and the next room stained natural then a different stain in the next room (Provencial, Early American, etc). Just be sure to have a definite color difference between the rooms.
February 23, 2013 at 7:09am   
More Discussions
Horrible carpet dilema
Advices? I guess an area rug would help but it still...
Need Help with "How To" paint door and trim?
In this room we're remodeling, we are trying out color...
Please help me with my dinning room
Hello, I don't want to have a combined dinning and...
Wall Artwork suggestions?
Thoughts on which works best or other recommendations...
Window Treatment Suggestions
I wanted to install plantation shutters, but the tub...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.