powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
High Ceilings in Living Room. Suggestions?
Kami Bible
February 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the realtor picture of our new living room. The ceilings are so tall! With the two windows up high and the fireplace in between, I'm wondering what I should do. I am not a fan of the wood color of the mantle. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
The window panels flanking the fireplace need to go, they are way too low with their placement!! Go with a much larger in scale picture for above the mantle too! Wait until your in the space to decide on paint for the room...congratulations...and good luck....
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:31PM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
There is a lot of potential with this space!! Have fun....and choose wisely!!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:32PM
kathleen MK
I miss the light from those clerestory window like that in our first home. You need large art. We had a Asian folding screen. Stain glass or bevel glass in the high windows.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:36PM
PRO
Christine White Design
I agree, what great potential! High ceilings are always a plus and that combined with so much natural light means you could do a lot here with color. Depending on your furniture palette and style, paint the fireplace a lighter color while using a bolder shade on the wall behind it. A large, frameless mirror above the fireplace would add a contemporary touch. If the floor plan is big enough, try to move the furniture away from the walls and more into the room and not on the perimeter as seen in the realtor shot. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:02PM
PRO
Christine White Design
Regarding the windows, for sun control you could incorporate motorized shades/roller blinds for the upper and lower windows. These disappear almost out of sight when not in use and can be combined with decorative drapes/window panels for the lower windows, hung directly above the window.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:59PM
gud2bqueen
Go with a dark color, (ie. red) for the ceiling and warm up the walls with more cream or sand color.
If changing the fireplace is an option raise the mantel and put large art over. I have those windows, I love my views of the night sky!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:19PM
Kami Bible
Thanks for the suggestions. We are planning a "coastal colors" scheme. So what about a darker gray for the walls/ceiling? I definitely want to paint the mantle. I was thinking white or black?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 11:02AM