powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I minimize the pink of the floor and wall tiles in this bathroom? Can't afford a total re-do.
lkb1003
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're buying a 14-year-old home with some very 80's design elements. I know the gold fixtures and Hollywood lights need to go, and I'm thinking of painting the vanity and tub surround. But how do I play down the pink tiles on the floor and around the tub? I do not want to "embrace" the pink and our decorating style is generally eclectic-contemporary. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marla Turpin
You could go with a grey/pink/white look. Paint the cabinets & tub panels white, a new countertop with whites/greys, & paint the walls a soft grey. For the cabinets, add crystal knobs, and make the mirror a framed white one. Your rugs could be white with a grey design... Maybe a runner rug that covers more of the floor. :)
February 23, 2013 at 5:04AM     
nancy22032
To start, a large white shaggy rug for the floor. I wonder if you don't see the pink floor any more if the pink tiles will be so obvious? That big blank wall above the tub is just begging for an exciting design. Do you have a friend who is an artist? Or find one of those patterned rugs in a color and design you like and hang it there. If you find the right one, the tile will disappear.
February 23, 2013 at 5:04AM   
0825sam
If this were my bathroom I would paint all the wood and walls white, get very modern chrome fixtures (plumbing and lights) with clean lines, put fluffy white mats or a runner covering a lot of the floor. Then I would acknowledge the pink with some missoni or Pucci inspired towels which usually have some touch of pink in them. I can't tell what your mirror vanity area is like, but the mirror is somewhere you can add in a more eclectic piece - I personally like an interesting mirror in an otherwise minimalist bathroom.
February 23, 2013 at 5:05AM     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would agree with Mara. I would also recommend that you have the tile grout professionally cleaned and revealed to give it a lighter, brighter look.
February 23, 2013 at 5:07AM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
Wallpaper can be your best tool.....choose something bold. Paint your cabinets white, use lots of chrome and white towels, and accessories. I would choose a counter top this is also a statement. Lose the tongue in grove around the tub- I think a panel effect would really make a statement. The tongue in groove is too country. I white area rug would be good as well. A white with a dramatic design to draw the eye away from the tile. Also, it would not be a huge expense to remove the tub tile- it is an easy project. The tile is really not necessary on the wall. This would dramatically tone down the pink.
February 23, 2013 at 5:37AM   
lkb1003
Wow. You guys are fast! Thanks for the comments. We have quite a bit of other work to do in the house, so I don't know if a counter replacement is in the budget right away. But I love all the ideas.
February 23, 2013 at 5:56AM   
PRO
Cottage Craft Tile
One consideration might be regrouping with a colored grout that makes the grout lines less obvious. The busyness of the contrasting white grout makes the pink more pronounced. Then I would remove the trim cap, add a glass mosaic border at the top. Of the wall tile
February 23, 2013 at 5:57AM   
njmomma
I would paint out the wood white, find a couple of area rugs or a runner for the floor. I know you said you do not want to embrace the pink, but something with very little pink would tie the room together. Such as the rugs below. Pick a neutral color from the rug for the walls. Add accent color on your vanity with your soap dispenser, etc. Change out the knobs on your vanity. Add art to the walls.

On another note, consider wall paper. If you have a good bathroom fan! It brings the eye up and ties everything together, I would still paint the vanity and other woods in the room, but then you can pick solid color rugs for the floor and that would cover most of the pink.
February 23, 2013 at 6:33AM   
Aprilis
I lived in a house [recent past] that had pink tiles, tub and toilet. I went with a seaside theme and utilized a large conch shell with a pink interior to show connection. The rugs were a sea-glass green and I had turquoise walls {more sea glassy} and shells, candles and towels that fit. The tub had a glass door but you could use a Cape Cod inspired shower curtain. The tub wall could have a sea inspired mural on it. It was a fun and joyful room even if it was a bathroom.
February 23, 2013 at 6:46AM     
bevballew
Love the rug above. That would be nice and accessorize with towels and pink items. It is not a bad pink or look. I could see painting the cabinet white. But if nothing else find a wallpaper that has a little pink but does not make it a dominant color. There are so many papers out there. A theme of pink and white would be pretty also.
February 23, 2013 at 6:46AM   
PRO
Positive Space Design
I may be repeating other comments here, and if so I do apologize. I have worked with pink tile before and was pleased with the results so I figured I would share. I would suggest using a grey on the walls, I'm going to attach some suggestions. I ended up using the Valspar one. I used Minwax ebony to stain my vanity and was very pleased with the results. I will attach a picture (not mine just a for example) of a vanity with ebony stain so you get the idea. Stick with brushed nickel for hardware and switch out your brass faucet for a chrome one. Consider putting in glass shelves above mid wall in the shower area for towel storage. Good luck!
February 23, 2013 at 6:54AM   
lbw123
I would paint the tiles around the tub or replace them, which is not a huge job and then follow the above ideas to embrace the floor tiles. I think if you got rid of the pink surround, the floor would not be such a big statement. If you can't stand the floor, maybe you can tile over the existing tile. I am looking at doing that in my powder room. The issue to be aware of is the height depth around the toilet and at the door. Also swap out the knobs on the vanity for a look more in line with your style. Also if you don't think you will like the painted panel on the tub, think about covering it with something else. You will have to take the panel off to change out the faucet and that would be a good opportunity to swap it out or recover it.
last Wednesday at 8:05AM