Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need input on my painting project
hevs
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi - at the advice of an earlier post I have started painting this fireplace (which was originally red!) the mantle is varnished wood. I don't think I like the look of the bright white (which is just primer at this point) thinking of a light gray and painting the mantle bright white - what do you all think? If you have any specific paint color u can recommend that would be a bonus thanks :) I included a pic of the curtains too
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
How else are you using gray in the room? Where are you going with the entire space?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:22AM
PRO
nFORMAL design
Not a fan of painting a nice, stained and varnished wood. As mentioned earlier, what are you doing with the rest of the space? I'm not seeing much grey in there.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 10:25AM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
Stay with the neutrals, natural tones. Also called 'earth' tones. They are timeless and ageless. You won't have to paint so often. Thanks for the pictures of the curtain. The earth tones, and naturals are:
green, sage green, beige, soft brown, light biege brown. Also a soft gold, light yellow is good. Fire place should be a second color. Keep it white or a shade brighter. Ceiling should also be white or a soft brighter color, than walls.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
You should be more careful while painting following Arlene's advise. Tape is not expensive. You can get one in Dollar Tree. Everything there cost $ 1. Sharp crisp edge would enhance mantel. Arlene is an award winning architect do not ruin her a efforts, please.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:09PM
Keitha
I agree, leave mantel alone ! I suggest a big round mirror over the fireplace. Sending mirror ideas.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:28PM
groveraxle
I would paint the fireplace the same color as the walls. Leave the mantel alone.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:40PM
modernisforlovers
I would say a dark drown/tan. Slate looking. Nothing light color trust me. It will get dirty fast!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:58PM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
My comments were regarding QUALITY of painting. Look at the close up. Not painting entire mantel. Use some edger or tape to achieve crisp clean edges. Because of high contrast it shows.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:01PM
yvesun
I would paint the fireplace cream something along the lines as Cream Silk OC115, and paint the walls a warm neutral such as Mellowed Ivory 2149-50 both are Benjamin Moore colours. Leave the beautiful stain on the mantel as is.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:06PM
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Here is a picture of a dark grey painted fireplace with a white mantle.

Is this what you envisioned?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:15PM
hevs
Thanks all! Here is the finished product - we haven't started thinking wall colors yet but I really like the way this came out. I did paint the mantle which was a hard decision because I feel horrible about painting nice wood but it really didn't look nice leaving it the way it was and we have a lot of unpainted wood in other areas of the house that I wouldn't dream of painting ;) here is a pic
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:47AM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
Solid wood you can always strip and refinish, if you didn't strip for painting is sealed by varnish and paint will not penetrate grain. Follow Arlene's advise for color palette. She is award winning architect. Her work was published in a major home decor magazines.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:54AM
cohoek
Very nice result, was a good choice to paint the mantle, who would have thought.. Not sure about the mirror though, is way too small. Love your flower pot but wouldn't put it there, maybe somewhere else with more blue stuff together? OR get some blue pillows...instead of the red. This is so much fun! I have blue pillow covers for in the summer and red ones for the winter! I also take out all my pewter stuff in the summer and all the koper in the winter...
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:14AM
hevs
I agree on the mirror - we don't love it there either - it's a work in progress and yes it is so fun to play with space and color and objects :)
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:23AM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
Interior decorating may be fun but it is not a play. There are design elements and principles. Rules can be broken if compensated by another elements and /or principles. Arlene in her advise was following color theory. Design is visual language.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:21AM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Beautiful job!!!
I digitally added a big/beautiful/bold mirror to your space.
An item like this will help your new fire place command the attention it deserves!
I recommend you go large scale, and high polish!
Have fun!
Caroline :)
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:56AM
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Here's the image:
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:57AM
stoneponies12
wow, your room looks beautiful and very fresh. Great job! I love the mirror mockup by What's Inside Design LTD.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:24AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I like the top few rows of brick and the mantle painted white. I do not like the colour you've chosen for the lower brick but don't know where you're headed with the wall colour. I'd like to see the lower brick a stronger darker colour like a dark brown/grey even medium dark. But, there is always a but, it's your space and if you love it who are we to argue with that. :) I'd like to see more of your house, lots of interesting architectural elements going on in the back ground. Turn of the century home?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 8:40AM
hevs
Thanks for all your comments and input - I love the big mirror idea! I was originally going to do a dark color for the lower brick but it just felt too heavy. This is just the first try - it was so easy to paint it I figure I can change it easily as needed :) the house was built in 1890 and I have lots of things I need help with - I am going to post my daughters room next - huge room. To much wall space - stay tuned.....
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:17PM
hevs
I meant.....NOT too much wall space
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:19PM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
Interior decorating is very local. Where do you live ???
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:11PM