Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to update raised panel knotty pine kitchen cabs
elwu2065
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are stripping old "orangey" finish off cabs and plan to clear coat with poly. Very few knots in wood and nice interiors. We will remove the 2 top cab doors on right and replace with glass insert doors. Pendant light will be lowered. Any thoughts,advice or warnings on how to proceed with updating this space. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
For more responses I think you will need to post a pic that will enlarge. This pic is kind of dark and a bit small, sorry.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:45AM
Melanie MacAdam
The picture won't enlarge
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:35AM
elwu2065
here's hopefully a better picture. Thanks.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:31PM
carole
would it be possible to make some more pictures from different angles too??
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:46PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Lovely cabinets! Though the image is small, they look well built. Use a waterborne urethane finish for less yellowing this time around. Varathane Diamond Finish is OK. Have it professionally sprayed for the best results. Polyurethane will yellow, lacquer will stay pretty clear, but for a re-coat, the Varathane will be a better choice.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:52PM
libradesigneye
What are the colors in your home? The pine "orange" may not "strip" away for you. It isn't a finish, but their raw color after they age.

I see a traditional white wainscot. Butter yellow walls - so I need to know more about your home's color scheme. Yellow blue and white is a classic favorite in traditional or modern tones and styles - always right. If the pine restores well, you've got the look started as it is a yellow-y wood. If they dont' you can paint them.

Switch out the microwave and dishwasher to stainless when it is time. Take out the 4" splash and tile your backsplash - maybe some batchelder inspired blue and white accent tiles on a white ceramic ground. If you paint, then you could do butcher block tops - they are inexpensive and gorgeous from ikea or other suppliers. Then you could put marble on the island in carerra or one of the quartzes that mimics that.

If you dislike the restored wood tone, consider painting the wall cabinets a color - wedgewood blue or robins egg blue against that butter yellow wall would be traditional yet updated. Be bold to carry out your houses color story. If you do color on the wall cabinets, leave the island wood finish, but stain it anew it to match your table adjacent. Restaining is more work than painting unless you use a gelstain.

Of course, painting cabinets white is a safer, more classic choice, would flow from the trim well, and you could paint the inside and back of your glass front cabinets the accent color - maybe put beadboard on the back wall of the new glass front cabinet and paint the inside of those out too.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:58PM
elwu2065
Thanks for great ideas. Attached is pic of original kitchen from a different angle.Brass lighting has been removed and replaced with SS nautical pendant over island and drum shade over new table and chairs. I would like to give room a younger, more contemp flare. Any thoughts...suggestions. Thanks..
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 2:13PM
libradesigneye
Colors you use now in your decor, like, etc? Since this is open to other spaces, I want to consider your public spaces / whole house color story when I give advice.

I saw the new drum shade - probably need to lengthen and swag your pendant centered over island. Just paint out your cabinets if you want an updated look, one of the new grays combined with white would be neutral and work great with so many things. You can use an earthy warm gray like raccoon hollow. That on all the wall cabinets with clear coat and no distressing. The island would probably be best treated with chalk paint in graphite, then rubbed back at the panel details to show the wood tone underneath, and waxed to finish.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:03PM
elwu2065
Thank you! The walls in house are BM Bone color and trim is Dove white. LR kind of flows to kitchen and has contemp area rug with dk gray, cream, dk brown and dk blue. Sofa is sectional with oatmeal colored fabric and charcoal pillows. Floors through out are light oak. Before opting to paint cabs I may try out the clear pine approach...if I do that, what would you recommend to make that work?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:13PM
libradesigneye
I think what you have IS clear pine, but that is not my area of expertise.

Look at houzz for taupe kitchen cabinets in the kitchen idea books. There are some warm grays that would be wonderful with your color palette - ben moore raccoon hollow, but the walls might want greige then too.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:35PM