powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom Makeover: What color cabinets and hardware would look best with this tile/countertop?
shutterbug1964
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
See additional photos in thread below. I am one of those people who cannot commit to anything when it comes to design. I have a terrible time pulling it all together! My home is Tudor and mostly traditional, but not ornate. I prefer the updated style, but not super sleek or modern. Currently this master bath has all original 1978 fixtures, including carpet ... lucky me!

This tile is Regis Bianco (porcelain tile) and actually is more in the gray/white tones than the photo may reveal. The countertop is Cambria Windermere (quartz). So far this is the only combo I've liked together but I am by all means not married to them. Will be pretty much gutting bathroom, making tub/shower combo into nice large shower, double sinks, with new custom cabinets and hardware. If I were to stick to this tile and countertop, what color cabinets and hardware would look best?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
nFORMAL design
If you can't commit and pull it all together, then my suggestion would be to hire a local interior designer. The small investment in the grand scheme of things would be well worth the money.
February 23, 2013 at 8:19am   
shutterbug1964
I was hoping for a few opinions on here instead :-)
February 23, 2013 at 8:30am     
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I would go in harmony with the rest of the house.

1. What is the Kitchen color? color of Kitchen? it doesn't not have to be any exact match, just harmony in color.

2. Also what color are door frames?

3. With these clues you can answer this question.

All should be in harmony, but do not have to be an exact match to it, rest of house in color.

After you post more pictures, some more 'Houzzers' and experts on here can answer this question, give ideas. And good comment by nFormal above..... take more pictures!! and post them, ok!....
February 23, 2013 at 8:34am   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
if you would like to have more neutral look - you'll do the light cabinets, you can do as well darker cabinets- they will look god with those tiles:))))
February 23, 2013 at 8:35am   
Judy M
90% of the photos in your ideabook have white cabinets, but I agree with above post, what does the rest of the house look like?
February 23, 2013 at 8:39am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Shutterbug...if you can't commit to what you have already selected, looking for opinion here is going to stress the issue further. You will get many opinions from professionals and amateurs alike. None is any better than another...in matters of taste, there is no dispute (except for some folks). A $200 consultation with a local pro is a cheap investment in the long run. Free advice is cheap...but ultimately, with your commitment issues, you need direction. Browse through local designers profiles here on Houzz and make some phone calls. It costs nothing to ask the price.
February 23, 2013 at 8:40am     
PRO
Bentley Design
We did a bathroom that used a color pallets that might work for you. I would go a little lighter than what we did. If you click on my picture it will take you to our profile where you can see picture.
February 23, 2013 at 8:42am   
PRO
nFORMAL design
It is really hard to give opinions with an open slate and no pics of the room (size, plumbing layout, etc). Material choices are usually integrated into the pieces that are purposely selected to fit in that space. Some materials which look great in small doses wouldn't work in large expanses.

Plus, without really knowing your style, it would be hard to give you ideas. Also, the opinions on here are going to be all over the map. No offense to Creations Nadia, I like the white bathroom (okay) but would never design something like the brown/tan one...not a style or color palette we'd tend to choose.

My push for the local designer is to get into the space, see your style, how you "live" and make educated decisions based on a ton of factors. You seem to be a photographer...so think of it as trying to tell someone where to stand to take that amazing photo when you are across the globe from them, not in the total environment and are not familiar with the locale, everything. Yes, you can tell them how to adjust the camera for outdoor and daylight...but the rest of it would be difficult.

It is much easier to direct someone how to post-process a photo after seeing it. Hope that makes sense.
February 23, 2013 at 8:44am     
shutterbug1964
All of the cabinetry in the rest of the house is white, including the kitchen, with the exception of an entertainment unit in the den and built-ins in study. Those are more mahogany. I was concerned that the white cabinets in bathroom might be boring with the tiles I've chosen.
February 23, 2013 at 8:45am   
shutterbug1964
As you can see this is a total gut job. Will keep the basic layout. Very large bathroom.
February 23, 2013 at 9:09am   
danduna2
Glass cabinets can work well with this color tile.
February 23, 2013 at 9:15am   
jensie
I was originally thinking dark cabinets with oil rubbed bronze hardward but then I spotted the gorgeous creamy bathroom on pinterest. However, I have the dark cabinets and travertine tile and love it. I think it is all in your personal taste and style..... If you have time, maybe post some pictures from elsewhere in your home so we can see what appeals to you. Good luck and post after pictures!
February 23, 2013 at 9:40am     
studio10001
Put more nicely, Shutterbug, with that specific tile and countertop, you are free to do just about anything. Moreover, the only area it might take into consideration is the one it opens onto. Look to your bedroom for furniture grade choices and accompanying hardware. Or not. A master bath is a very personal thing, your oasis. Close your eyes and imagine what you'd like " sanctuary "to mean. Is it light and gleaming, or deep and enfolding? Choose from there and know that there is no wrong way.
February 23, 2013 at 9:53am     
shutterbug1964
Thank you, studio10001, that certainly was put nicely! My bedroom is the aqua blue and chocolate colors. I originally thought I might like the darker cabinets, but wondering how white cabinets with a rich brown wall might work.
February 23, 2013 at 9:58am   
ptmatthews
You need to decide how much contrast you want in the room. Which look do you prefer: light on light color, or light, dark, light layering? Neither is right or wrong. Look at the bathroom pictures you are most drawn to on Houzz, and see if they are high or low contrast. If high contrast, go with darker cabinets, if low contrast, go with light cabinets. If you really can't decide, I would go with all light colors and add in dark contrasts with towels, paint, and accessories. Good luck!
February 23, 2013 at 10:08am     
studio10001
Beautifully. Now you have light, medium and dark tonalities, and are still quite open in your options for accessories and hardware. As a photographer, you will be quite sensitive to keeping your tonalities balanced; let that guide you through your next layering step.
February 23, 2013 at 10:16am   
shutterbug1964
I'm an event, concert, and sports photographer. Rarely is anything I shoot posed, and I'm often working with whatever lighting is available. I think I have a fair idea of which direction I'm headed now!
February 23, 2013 at 10:22am   
studio10001
Now THAT sounds difficult!! Glad to help and best of luck.
February 23, 2013 at 10:35am     
PRO
nFORMAL design
Wow...it sounds like someone is saying that I wasn't being nice. Haha. Being direct and giving constructive advice shouldn't be taken as being mean.

I was just trying to relate to your field about how many different directions one could go. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm sure that helps the designers give better options.
February 23, 2013 at 10:49am