Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What pairs well with this ikat fabric?
Jennifer Froning
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have recently purchased chairs with this great ikat fabric, and am trying to put some lighter blues with it... I can't seem to find the right fabric for the ottoman! I will be using a cream colored leather sofa with the ikat chairs! Any ideas for fabrics that compliment? Walls are gray one kitchen (which the family room is semi open to)... is blues and greys..
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolins
Lovely choice of furniture by the sound of it. Can you post more photos? Of the room and the furniture? Just because I'm curious :-)
No, seriously... it will help forming an idea of what will look good.
February 23, 2013 at 10:18AM     
February 23, 2013 at 10:38AM     
carole
groveraxle !!!brilliant,dont match MIX it up with another warmer color......
February 23, 2013 at 10:52AM     
carolins
Something like this could work, but it isn't blue. As you may have noticed ;-)

February 23, 2013 at 11:16AM     
carolins
Or this... but I'm not making promises. Could also be... urgh! :-) But it could be unexpectedly 'funky' too.

February 23, 2013 at 11:25AM     
carolins
I'm thinking that the trick will be, if you really insist on a blue colour, to find something with a creamy background and not a white one.

February 23, 2013 at 11:27AM   
paxsonsu
You don't say if your are custom covering an ottoman but Calico Corners has a new fabric collection called Koi Pond that might give you some color ideas.
February 23, 2013 at 11:28AM     
michigammemom
Hi Jennifer, I love the cream and blue ikat print. You can select a high energy complementary color or you can go in a more subdued, sophisticated direction. I love the drama of the ikat print paired with solid neutrals in this lovely room.
February 23, 2013 at 12:22PM     
carolins
Okay, but really... turquoise and orange and indigo or navy blues can work together (I'm not saying that the examples I've chosen in this thread will do, although they might).
Horchow
Living Room

Personal opinion, the grey cushion kills the blue in the chair above (that has now miraculously disappeared). But it is just a personal opinion. I don't have to live with it and if you like it... just go for it! :-)
February 23, 2013 at 12:23PM     
shortped
That solid gray pillow is awful on that chair....many colors will work depending on what u like....find another fabric with the minor color in it being the blue to tie them together
February 23, 2013 at 12:31PM   
darcycoles
OMG
February 23, 2013 at 12:34PM   
darcycoles
I like it
February 23, 2013 at 12:35PM   
A.K. Gibbs
@shortped Your comment was absolutely immature. Decoration and design is SUBJECTIVE. It is not necessary to be rude. Let's focus on being helpful.

I'm including some IDEAS that I think are beautiful.

Good luck Jennifer! I love these Ikat chairs as well!
February 23, 2013 at 3:07PM     
ukantok2
I love the fabric and the sofa sounds great. Have you considered using dark blue vs lighter shades? It might contrast well with the solid sofa. You could accent with blue textured fabric. I agree with yellow or orange, but, I personally would try red. Pretty fabric.
February 23, 2013 at 3:33PM     
shortped
I wasn't trying to be rude, just honest. Sorry if I offended someone, but I want people to be honest with my questions too.
February 23, 2013 at 4:01PM     
Jennifer Froning
Thanks everyone for all your help! Let me show you some pics of my house to give you a better idea of what I am trying to do! The family room is sunken from my kitchen and has 1/2 wall with an opening. The dining room is not visable from the family room... just trying to get good flow in the house. I just purchased the creme leather sectional. The leather ottoman is going to be replaced with a custom square or round ottoman. I am also trying to decide on curtains. I don't know if I should bring an entire new color into the room (like orange)... ?
February 24, 2013 at 5:59AM   
carolins
Hi, love the wall colours you've used. Nice dining room!

I could see a subtle use of orange or yellow in your living room. Or you could of course just keep it very simple and choose the same colour as your sofa for your Ottoman. Problem solved? And very chic too.

Have you tried one of your blue chairs in your dining room? To see if that colour would work with your chairs?
My Home
Bergen Street Residence
February 24, 2013 at 6:30AM   
carolins
Would it not be possible to bring a couple of fabric samples home to see how they would work? If you're having a custom made Ottoman...
February 24, 2013 at 6:37AM   
Jennifer Froning
Thanks Caolins... Good ideas!
February 24, 2013 at 6:40AM   
bevballew
The gray walls look nice. Something very different. Since you have a teal color in the dining room it seems you might bring in teal or change the wall colors. Nice house.
February 24, 2013 at 6:46AM   
jaya15
Blues pair up nicely with browns too for a sophiticated look. In one of the above comments there is a link to Ikat prints. There are many pattrens with light blue and browns. You can make drapes with one pattern (blue and brown) and mix up pillows with brown and blue ikat and blue and cream ikat fabric. The teal in the dining pairs up well with certain shades of brown too. It will bring an eclectic feel to your place. (if you are looking for that look)You may also punctuate your pillows with a little red accents. it will energize the blue brown color scheme.
February 24, 2013 at 7:07AM   
carole
ORANGE would be my vote!!love the teal and orange colorcombo!!!
February 24, 2013 at 8:13AM     
A.K. Gibbs
First off, select colors that you are willing to live with. It is your home and you should choose what you are comfortable with.

If you don't want to go with a color scheme as loud as orange and blue, you could go with a metallic like gold or silver. Metallic colors are timeless, whereas orange could get old quickly. Also I think that orange might bring too much contrast to the room so that it's jarring to look at or a Halloween look with the gray walls.

I suggest you try out options in the space or carry samples of your wall paint color and fabric with you into stores. Those are the easiest ways to see what works without a lot of hassle.

I love the architecture in your house. I also love your style. It seems fun, but mature as well. Great job trying a new look! I know it can be difficult sometimes.
February 24, 2013 at 1:01PM     
Denice Shuty
Click on that Horchow link - gorgeous options!
February 24, 2013 at 1:16PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.