Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Living room window treatments and finishing touches
kensrenee
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I know I need to move the curtain rods up to the ceiling. I have this open space with the living room and Dinning room. I wonder if I should do all the windows the same or similar or completely different? Also wondering if two chairs would look good in front of living room window. I am open for suggestions for the whole space including paint color. Starting to get overwhelmed with browns. Thanks for your time
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Crew of Two
Yes, treat all the windows the same. I love these from Bed, Bath & Beyond. You said you are overwhelmed with browns. Take a cue for paint color from your sofa. It is hard to tell what color it really is in the pics- it is coming of with a green tint. For such a large space i hesitate to recommend anything too bold. I think a lighter color like Benjamin Moore Cork would soften the brown tones. I love these throw pillows- Pottery Barn. i think you have a great space. Yes, to a seating area. This is another place to add color and textures
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
Love this chair with a game table in between for a fun area.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:02AM
kensrenee
Not able to find the curtains on BBB website. Do you have a name for them?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:10AM
Sandra Whittier
Have you ever tried sheers? Not only does it finish the window , but you don't get as much dust in the blinds. Ivory to celery or moss.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:19AM
studio10001
Well, I feel like a wrench thrower but I 'd rearrange; you have quite a crunch right at the entrance point. How would you feel about moving that chest under the window and then shifting the sofa sectonal into the room so that the longest section is parallel to the TV and a bit closer to it. It looks like you'd have space; what do you think?As a plus, Your walk way would then go around the seating area rather than through it. If you have space for that, then your extra seating(if still wanted) would go diagonally on either side of the set.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:38AM
janishill
The drapes/curtains don't have to be exactly alike, but at least be in the same fabric/pattern.

For your windows I would use Roman shades and drapery panels. Hang the drapes high and wide as seen in attached illustration. It looks like you may have a sliding door int eh dining area. If so just use drapery panels.

For the wall color pick up paint chips, find one that matches your carpet then go one to two shades lighter for the wall color. The space will be soothing and understated.

Add a large area to the living room and one under the dining room to define the spaces. Home Decorators has a selection inexpensive, great looking rugs: http://www.homedecorators.com/Rugs/color/174/Green_Rugs/#p=1&f=8x10%2BTo%2B8x12,Transitional%2BRugs

Add various throw pillows (love the green print posted by kklinton) and a throw in color similar to the wall color.

Hope to see updates!
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 11:43AM
carole
would paint the walls!!bleu or green and the trim white.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:46AM
kensrenee
Moving the sectional didn't work. It was almost as wide as the room so it blocked off one end of the living room. I would like to keep the shades that are in the windows. So if I did that should I still move curtain rod up? Sectional does look like it has a green tint in the pictures. Its really shades of smokie browns?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:58PM
studio10001
Ah, well. Yes to moving the window treatment up. A topper to span the distance between the drapery and the shade will make the window look longer - you could even use the valance you have with sheers (to the floor), if you like.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:06PM
PRO
A Crew of Two
Murano Back Tab Window Curtain Panels
84" Drapery Panel $49.99
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:25PM
Sandra Whittier
I agree with studio 10001 but don't forget to cover the space of wall between the ceiling and the top of the window . Looks bare without the sheers to cover that empty space between top and bottom of the window.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 4:29PM
kensrenee
O I never thought of just adding sheers to what I have. Do I set the rod according to the sheer length? Or is there a rule of so far down from the ceiling?
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 5:28PM
studio10001
Your eyes make the rules, luckily!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 5:59PM
kensrenee
I can do that! Thanks
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:30PM
Sandra Whittier
I normally just take the sheers from the rod to the floor. I'm redoing my brother's home and where you have your TV is where I think I will put a faux fireplaceunder the TV otherwise your room is exactly how I envision my brother's. The faux chiminy will go up to the ceiling. You must have been reading my mind.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:32PM
kensrenee
I have thought about that too! To many projects to little time
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:37PM
janishill
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but your current window treatments look outdated. I would go with plain and simple panels at each end. And yes, you can keep your blinds just the way they are or you can replace them with Roman shades.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 6:51PM
kensrenee
I need to hear those things! Thank you
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:01PM
kensrenee
Are shades outdated?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 7:02PM
Robin
I agree with studio...move that sectional over to the wall where the clock is so there is a distinction between the 2 rooms. Move it a bit closer to the TV. I love your wall & trim colors. You do need heavier bolder drapes with the rods higher, as you say. same window treatments throughout ties the rooms together. The sofa looks green. Maybe darker shae of green for the window treatments.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:22PM
Sandra Whittier
Did you ever notice on the HGTV one designer says it's out dated and the next show duplicates it. What do you like? I like swags and jabots and unless they are over done, I applaude you doing it. Some never put anything up for fear of doing it wrong.. I designed mine and I like them.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:04PM
jaya15
I would choose a light yellow or a natural linen color. so there is no high contrast wit the ceiling and the wood furniture would look fresh. I would get drapes in Linen Fabric ivory with green stripes , Stripes would give the huge room some height.
Move the TV to the corner near the window.
Replace the white lamp next to the sofa with the lamp with a black wrought iron base .
Move the star art piece to the dining room to the other side of the window where the china cabinet is.
Add a seat cushion and a couple of cushions to the wooden storage chest across from the sofa.
Move the three vases to the top of the cabinet we see the side of in the dining room. Or store them away.
I would give the clock a fresher look by painting it white and stripping the paint to make it a little antique looking. right now the contrast is too high. At the entrance to the living room I would place a medium height plant in the corner where the small stool is. It would support the frames on the wall and make it complete. They seem to be floating right now.
Thanks.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:19PM
PRO
A Crew of Two
roman shades are the best- they come in wonderful textures and fabrics are unlimited.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:05AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
For what it's worth--I make custom window treatments for a living. I have not had an order for swags and jabots, or scarf treatments like your current treatments in more than 10 years.---just so that is out there!
You have cell shades under the scarf treatments? You could keep those if you want, those are fine, but woven wood shades or roman shades as suggested would be fine too.
I also think stationary curtain panels would look great too--and your are correct about hanging the rod high. In the dining area where the ceiling is vaulted, install the rod at the same height as the other rooms. Also, another tip for you--since your windows are so wide, you need double width panels, not single widths. I am not sure what size ready made curtains come--but a single panel is probably about 45 inches? You need double that--like 90, Your goal with side panels is to give the appearance that the curtains could close. This makes them look proportional. Good luck!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:20AM