Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Kitchen...
celliott77
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our kitchen is drab...Gutting the kitchen is not an option at this point, but something has to be done. Paint, decor, something cheap...inexpensive, and DIY. Upgrading to SS appliances is in the future. I do like the hardware on cabinets and I would like decor to have olive green-ish in it if feasible.
Please excuse the mess. :-O
THANKS IN ADVANCE EVERYONE!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
How about a tile backsplash? Or stick on tile backsplash if you don't want something permanent before upgrading appliances? Or wallpaper?

In the meantime, you could get a patterned stainless backsplash for the back of your range, or even a mirror if you think you'd keep it very clean after cooking.

You can take down the magnetic knife holder and the other unused things.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:19PM
carole
splashback with the colors you like,either tiles or paint??
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:20PM
Keitha
I really like apple pie's idea of stainless backsplash and if your budget allows a stainless vent hood a replacement hood like your existing one would not be expensive! You could use any stainless kitchen appliances that u have as little accessories. That would tie your cabinet pulls and other stainless elements together. I like the wall color that is below the chair rail but the color above it looks yellow in pics. I think the taupe color would be better suited in the kitchen as a contrast to white cabinets. Your kitchen has good bones! ( this pic. Is similar to your wall color and shows the nice contrast).
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 12:39PM
ptmatthews
Look uo the Houzz ideabook called "Brush up on paintable wallpaper" It's an affordable idea with striking results. Also, since your counter is light, you might consider painting the lower cabinets a darker color.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 1:07PM
celliott77
Thank you all for your comments and ideas. Gives me a lot to work with. Ptmatthews, I will look up your suggestion. Again, thanks.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:13PM
aniluap2
Your kitchen is charming just needs a few tweaks . I would smooth the texture on the ceiling if possible. And change the fixture to a brushed nickel track with small halogen lights you can aim in different directions. Lowe 's & HD carry them. There are some beautiful glazed terracota subway or morroccan shaped tiles you could order on line in an olive green to give you that punch of color you are looking for.
Or as suggested above stainless steel backsplash with olive green fruit bowl, kettle and other accessories
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:37PM
Darzy
I think a green glass subway tile would work nicely. It's classic and will add a little color to the space. I also agree with aniluap2 to change your light fixture.

1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:42PM
aniluap2
Like Darzy's suggestion on tile, although not olive it is a pretty shade of sea glass green. Sold at HD relatively inexpensive.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:45PM
Lynn Oxenford
What a cutie ! Some little things just to add color and life to the area. I'm adding some photos so you can see. A comforting color of sage green on the walls will start , and the back side of the island can be painted a accent color , maybe add wainscoting and distress, it. Over the island drop in two pendant lights , clear or color of your choice. If you just couldn't afford some can lighting and must have a fluorescent light , Home Depot about 80.00. It's cleaner lines and a decorative touch in brushed nickel to match the hardware . The stove wall is calling out for some tile. Below are a couple of choices to breakup all the white. There is also a pic with some of the things I've talked. Have good luck with your project, and have fun with it too.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 1:48PM
Lynn Oxenford
Other tile
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
La Maison Chic
Color and backsplash tiles. The grey and yellow dont work together, may be the picture. Try a green with the yellow or more shades of the grey for contrast
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:53PM