Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help!! Do these colors work together??
maryannes
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Will this tile go with the wood shown? The wood is on my dining room and I want tile for my adjacent kitchen. My cabinets will be refinished to a chestnut color. And possibly the backsplash shown
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
grandmalucy12
I love it together .. Your eye carries to the Carmel in tile ! Go for it .
February 24, 2013 at 4:52PM   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Looks good together. If you want to add a little interest, here is a picture of transitioning from wood to tile.
February 24, 2013 at 6:35PM   
PRO
Sara Bederman Interior Design
A very nice combination. Post the completed project!
February 24, 2013 at 6:55PM   
Darzy
I like it. But, what material are you using for the counter top?
February 24, 2013 at 6:58PM   
maryannes
I think we are going with a laminate instead of stone. This is the color:
February 25, 2013 at 4:27AM   
wanderedthere
Why did you chose laminate over stone? Just curious as we are in the process of picking out new countertops. Loved your color choices.
February 25, 2013 at 4:33AM   
maryannes
I feel stone is a big commitment because of price. I'd feel I was stuck with it if I didn't like it in a few years and we don't have a huge selection where I live. Besides, I finally convinced the hubby to put all new flooring through the house and update the kitchen on a smaller budget than my original plan. I'll take the compromise lol
February 25, 2013 at 4:42AM     
cohoek
i'm afraid your tiles will look pink next to the wood, I think I would look further, maybe something with some gray in it.
February 25, 2013 at 4:46AM   
olldroo
On the right hand side of the small samples just showing there are some tiles in browns and blues that look like they would go well with the timber. Have you considered them? I think there is too much conflicting pattern in the tile you are looking at and the laminex. I would be inclined to keep the laminex plain.

I have heard too that laminex is making a big comeback, there was really nothing wrong with it in the first place, just too many other products came on the market. I wouldn't consider it a compromise at all, with a bit of commonsense care, it always looks good.
February 25, 2013 at 4:58AM     
wanderedthere
We are planning to rent the house out once completed and afraid that if use laminate it will be ruined quickly with renters who will put hot items on it thinking it's a stone surface.
February 25, 2013 at 5:04AM     
olldroo
Do renters pay bonds over there to cover the cost of damages? At least laminate is easy to replace if anyone was silly enough to do that. Wanderedthere - is this the same house you posted questions on a week or so ago??
February 25, 2013 at 5:09AM   
wanderedthere
Yes, still gathering as much info as I can at the moment. Never can be too sure with renters !
February 25, 2013 at 5:16AM     
maryannes
And this will hopefully be the color of my cabinets when I get them refinished
February 25, 2013 at 6:20PM   
Darzy
Maryannes...I think laminate is a smart, economical choice. The counter has a lot of movement in it (which I like) but I think the beautiful backsplash tile you are considering a bit too contrasting and busy for the counter. I think a creamy glass subway tile backsplash would complement all the colors and look more classic with the counter. Plus, the good news is, it is less expensive. :) Just make sure to match the tile with the counter/floor tile to be sure the naturals complement each other.

February 25, 2013 at 6:37PM   
maryannes
Would something like this work? I won't pick the backsplash until the countertop is on, just looking to be pointed in the right direction
February 25, 2013 at 6:44PM   
Amy Stanley
I love the suggestion of the creamy glass subway tile with your counter and flooring choice!
February 25, 2013 at 6:47PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like it very much, good choice.
February 25, 2013 at 6:50PM     
Darzy
Here's a creamy white subway tile backsplash with a darker color cabinets so you can get a "feel" for it.

February 25, 2013 at 6:50PM     
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
A black or dark chocolate brown would look great with the cabinets and the flooring. I do not see pink in this tile on my computer, I see a nice golden vein running through the tile which compliments the flooring, cream and beige though not pink/beige and gray. Mary do you see pink in the samples? Get a sample of the stain for your cabinetry and put it all together like you've done here before making a final decision.
February 25, 2013 at 6:54PM     
lastplace
I agree with cohoek about the strong undertones of pink in the tiles, which don't blend well with the wood. At first glance it all looks pretty but when you complete a large surface it will not be right. It will also be too pink for the cupboard stain color you would like. Those cupboards are rich and warm. The beige/pink tile is more suited to taupe shades. I really like the top row of glass tile that has a soft green/gray color that looks amazing with your cupboards in the furture and the wood now. The tile also has hints of darker brown and a clean white that will look great. I like the countertop that you chose and the proportions are spot on.

My experience with tenants is that if you give them a beautiful place to live they will appreciate it and take care of it. Good luck
February 25, 2013 at 7:05PM   
lastplace
Oops the top row in the second picture
February 25, 2013 at 7:06PM   
Darzy
I think your second choice could work, but it also could look too busy with the counter (extra grout lines and another "pattern"). I also like the glass subway because the counter has no sheen and the glass will reflect beautifully with undercabinet lighting. The "star" will be the glass backsplash instead of noticing the counter is not a natural stone and is "flat". If you love this backsplash, you could switch it up and do the counters with little to no pattern.
February 25, 2013 at 7:23PM     
PRO
patti mcnab
love it
February 25, 2013 at 7:27PM     
PRO
Modern Age Designs, LLC
I also agree with the creamy glass subway tiles. will complement the chestnut cabinets.
The floor Tile won't look right as the other commenter suggested it would look pink/beige with pink really conflicting with the wood tones. It doesn't look it now but it will once its installed. I understand you are trying to compromise but having the wood floors continued in the kitchen wood have been a lot easier. Costly, yes, but it would pay itself. Wood floors in my opinion are timeless.
February 25, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Brenda Fisher
Regarding the pink, if your cabinets have any hint of red to them then the tile will take on a pink hue. A lot depends on how much light you have. A lot of southern light will mitigate the pink hue. Western and northern light will emphasize it. Grey, some yellows and green will not turn peachy. Anything red definitely will. The yellow would be tricky too, it would have to have a green or grey undertone. If you like the red undertones better. Consider a terra cotta tile.
February 25, 2013 at 8:34PM     
olldroo
OK forget my suggestion, your cupboards are too dark. I'm with Darzy, don't try to put too many patterns together.
February 25, 2013 at 9:46PM     
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
One thing I have learned over the years is to select the backsplash after all the other renovations are finished.
One out of two of my clients choose something different when they wait. We go through the exercise of choosing something and then I ask them to wait to order or buy it. In EVERY case they choose something different and were glad they waited.
February 26, 2013 at 5:26AM     
Darzy
Good point Engrav! Great advice. The counter you like is nice with the cabinets, so if you go that direction, you will be more confident in the backsplash selection with everything else in place.
February 26, 2013 at 5:46PM     
maryannes
Thoughts on these tile colors with the wood? Same tiles just different pics
March 12, 2013 at 4:15PM   
lastplace
I'm not sure if its true colors I'm looking at but it's not working at all. The dark wood looks like it has yellow undertones and the tiles look like pink and white? Is that right?
March 12, 2013 at 6:17PM   
olldroo
lastplace - I'm getting pink too.
March 12, 2013 at 6:24PM   
lastplace
yes, not only to they not work together, they are working against each other
March 12, 2013 at 6:27PM     
olldroo
Maryannes - I know how easy it is to become attached to something you really like to the point you are willing it to work. The tiles you have chosen are lovely, but sadly just not right for your room. Your timber is set and that is what you have to work with. Now decide whether you want a patterned bench top or patterned backsplash - you can't have both, well not for a good look. Wipe the slate clean, look through photos on Houzz for ideas and start again looking for colours that blend well with your timber and then with each other.
March 12, 2013 at 6:41PM   
maryannes
The whole problem is that wood floor my husband bought. I wanted darker wood floors and he threw off the whole thing lol. If someone could look at these sites and suggest a tile pattern/color to point me in the right direction.

www.sanmarcotile.com

www.casaroma.ca
March 13, 2013 at 5:03AM