Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window treatment dilemma.
a_rainbow
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This room isn't finished but its far. Its lacking all casework, shelves, and closet doors. I took it as far as I needed for carpet install. It's a multi use space... Guest room (leaning toward lofted bed supported from ceiling) treadmill/bike, office (file cabinets and simple desk on wheels and printers and shelves). The dilemma, is its a guest room. I live in Alaska and summer guests would not be able to sleep !! My thoughts are floor to ceiling pleated curtains,(about 14 ft on high side) but I'm stumped around corner where ceiling starts to vault and there is an angled window and the opening down below with living room windows. If not for angle,I'd have a rod fabricated (or beg apathy are made already) in a big L shape and curtains would slide to corner when open. Not the case. Ok, so I put an angled blind by hunter Douglas in window and a blind mounted to ceiling of that opening and leave open 85% of time. (all bedrooms upstairs are by the shade store so I'm crushed to have to change Manu. Bc of angle) do I put blinds that coordinate in all four openings and then just floor to ceiling curtains on the one wall? Ugh. I want it to tie together!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a_rainbow
Two design options...

1. Get bed off floor and create a ceiling for office nook. Allows me to put file cabinet and desk and full plotter printer we inherited on wall instead of Murphy bed pic 1

2. Wall bed by akclosets with built in shelves all around. Not sure where to put plotter unless I put next to closet with tall filing cabinet and put high counter above it with small printers but I hate to add everything around a plotter that will eventually die. Now what goes in void under high counter. thinking modular here.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:06PM
Denice Shuty
I love the space and the active lines. You have so many options. It doesn't necessarily need casements, so don't get to mired down with that. Look around Houzz first at some of the modern-style ideabooks. Post more views of the room, I don't get the floor plan or other wall sizes.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:36PM
bonnieth
I love the open windows.....Is it possible to just put a curtain around the guest beds so they can sleep? lol!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 1:58PM
a_rainbow
Omg Bonnieth!!! I hadn't thought of that!!! If I choose option two and loft it I could probably figure out a way to close off two sides . I mean I could hang shades from ceiling around that bed... Like an L shaped shower curtain. With no guests they rest open against wall or green closet. Hmmm... Totally an idea. It's a matter of picking the right hardware and curtain and pulling it off to not look cluttered. Would be cheaper then floor to ceiling curtains for 4 openings!!! I too like the windows bright as they are. Silly to purchase so much window treatment for guests when they only come in summer. (My twin and her fam) no one wants to visit in winter haha!

I'm open to thoughts on two diff layouts as well. :-) thanks
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:09PM
a_rainbow
Ignore castle. Someday it won't be in there :-) same for easel and swing. I'm trying to get this room a little further so I can get my filing cabinets figured out.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:12PM
a_rainbow
This didn't upload. That's all walls as they are today.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:13PM
Denice Shuty
I saw a cool idea of a suspended net-hammock for sleeping/lounging - maybe on Pinterest
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:33PM
a_rainbow
Entry door looks tiny in pics but idea is to shelf up around it and frame it in :-)
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:40PM