Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with fireplace
sunceray
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need some ideas on what I can do to update this fireplace. It's the focal point of my living room and I would like to update this 90's look. First things first is I will be taking down that awful mirror. Then I would like to mount my tv above the fireplace. I was thinking maybe slate in the area above the mantle, up to the ceiling? Plus is there anyway to add a new mantle to the one I have, like a cap? (If that make sense)

Please help! : )
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with stone cladding but for the entire fireplace wall. A mantel isn't necessary since you will have a TV above the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 4:46PM
coratan
Take the mirror down. Then let't paint this fireplace wall darker then the rest of the other walls. Then a abstract piece of art
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:34PM
kitasei
If you put the television over the fp you will make the focal point of the room the television. Is that what you want? Rather than the fp and the beautiful view that frames it? I would suggest replacing the mirror with the stone cladding you choose for the entire fireplace, and then leaving it BARE. Hang the tv on the side wall. Put your energy into perfect illumination for the fireplace and views.
2 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 6:39PM
sunceray
Ya the entire fireplace with the stone looks awesome! Is that a costly reno?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:20PM
jaya15
With the clean line architecture and the beautiful windows, in see a tie clad f ire place wall. I would choose 'Shine dark 'or 'Ruggine' by Porcelanosa in 17x26 (they will go beautifully with your wall color) and place them in an brick pattern with minimum grout lines. the tiles have beautiful patterns and colors in them. You don't need a mantle with that smooth look.
Before spending money for the electrical on that wall for tv. Please experience watching tv at that height sitting on a sofa. I personally don't prefer it. Its too high. And any lower you won't be able to use your fireplace.
Thanks
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:37PM
sunceray
Okay thank you for the suggestions ill take a look at those colors
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 10:50PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Is it possible to have a built in effect and make a niche for the T.V, so it sits flush with the fireplace. Although along with having the TV at a height , during the day, you will have to draw the curtains/window coverings while watching T V,
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 10:58PM
sunceray
Ya I'm not sure if having the tv mounted into the fireplace or over would work best. I haven't had anyone professional come out to look. I think once we take the mirror down we will get a better look.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 11:10PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Agree with Dezign Studio about the location of your TV - it is not a practical location. So now you really have to make a feature of the FP!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Island Stone
Vtile Cladding from Island Stone, possibly the large Vtile given the size of the space. Run in a stacked format to accent the relief. Rustic also is a great look for a modern yet still natural stone appeal.
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:13PM
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
Would love to see a 36x72 painting on that wall. What an awesome statement!! I have a few I have completed. I also do commission work. My website is www.jul313.com. Contact me at julie@jul313.com
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:24PM
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about some nice curtains? Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page or our website. Please feel free to contact me if any questions.

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: sales@cheerycurtains.com
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 3:04AM
carolins
Loving the idea of stone cladding the fireplace. If possible, remove the mantle and just leave it bare. I really like the Island Stone look of the fireplace. Gorgeous.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
Any tips to make my fireplace a cozy stunner?
We are updating our blasé mid-60s home bit by bit;...
I need help deciding about window covering (shutter or blinds+drapes)
We've moved to a (4 bed/3bath) home with lots of windows;...
Need help for my kitchen
I am in the process of renovating my kitchen. I want...
Color dilemma !!!
Need help choosing color for the walls for our family/...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.