Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Area Rug for Family Room. Co-ordinate with Fireplace
dkiran
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
All,

This is something I just am not sure about. I am about to close on a home and I am planning for my furniture. I was not really thinking about an area rug, however, while searching for furniture, we saw this rug that is extremely similar to our fireplace. I have not really seen any place that has something like this and I just need opinions. I don't know if this will overwhelm the room.

I have attached picture of the fireplace and the rugs. Please note the furniture is not mine. I am planning to have a cream/ivory color sofa recliner along with this rug. I have been told that I have horrible taste, so please stop me from making a mistake if I am making one.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
dkiran
Here's the rug image
February 23, 2013 at 6:31PM   
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
That is a tough one .... It will all depend on your furniture style . If you have more pictures of the space that would help . (:
February 23, 2013 at 6:40PM     
dkiran
Hi Wendy. Here are the rest of the pictures I have of the family room.
February 23, 2013 at 6:44PM   
2dogssashatess
I dont think i would be looking to mimic the fireplace with my rug. Just my 2c
February 24, 2013 at 1:04AM     
groveraxle
It's hard to choose a rug without seeing your own furniture in the space, but it's easy to say NO to that rug. Let the fireplace be the fireplace. You don't need more of it on your floor.
February 24, 2013 at 1:34AM     
Patricia Pelgrims
I wouldn't go for that particular rug. It would look contrived. You could however pick up the colours from the fireplace for your rug.
But whatever you do, DON'T put the rug like it is in the pictures. That is just wrong !
February 24, 2013 at 1:34AM     
laurae1967
That rug would not look good!
February 24, 2013 at 1:38AM   
laurae1967
I would rearrange your current rug so that it is not at a weird angle. You hide most of it under the couch and it sticks out behind the couch. I would also get some large pieces of art work for the wall where your tv is for some visual interest.
February 24, 2013 at 1:42AM     
carole
congratulations !!!!i understand these are just the previous owners pictures!!!!
the colors on thr rug you picked are right,but dont match the print,that really would be tooo much!!
do you have a link or pictures of the new furniture you want??that would helps us find color and style tips for you...
February 24, 2013 at 4:25AM     
carole
have tried to find some different style furniture for you,my personal choice would be to leave the FP as is and go for really contempory for the rest of the room,so no curtains but blinds and minimal fuss in furniture,but i like the other styles too,so hope you will let us know what you think of these??
February 24, 2013 at 4:36AM     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
Thank you dkiran for posting more pictures that helps a lot . You have a beautiful space :) I could have lots of fun helping you :).....But first pick out some Furniture you like (not to large in scale) remember you do not have to many full free walls ! maybe a sofa and 2 chairs.Will you be watching TV in this room? Again as for the rug I would not mimic it .......Lets find the Furniture first .....then build around it.
keep in touch let me know what you pick out ! Cheers
February 24, 2013 at 6:08AM     
carole
just had to try and fill the void!!!!hope there is anything you like or really dislike in these,we are all willing to help,but you need to help us by giving a little more info!!!
February 24, 2013 at 7:03AM   
dkiran
Thanks Everyone. I think after a good nights' sleep that fireplace matching rug doesn't look like a good idea.

About the space, that is our family room and that is where I think we'll be spending most of our time. We'll be watching TV over there as well. Keeping that in mind, we had decided that we would want a recliner in the family room.

We wanted to go with a lighter color in contrast with the dark wood floors and also to keep the room bright. As you can see there is just the one window which has a covered patio right outside which is facing north-northeast, so not much of light entering the room. My wife of course, wants it like the magazines all light and bright, while I personally think it will look good on a photo, living with it that bright would be a challenge.

Here's the sofa and recliner we have selected online. Unfortunately after scouring websites and probably every furniture store in Dallas Ft.Worth Area , this is the only one we seemed to like. And we haven't even seen it in real life :-)

@laurae1967 : The furniture is not ours, and I agree with the placement being weird. We are planning a more traditional way like the planyourroom.com image attached here.

@carole: Thanks for the pics. I think I like the pic with the white and black stripes the most. I am not sure if we have that much space.

The living room size is 18x24. The fireplace is about 7 ft. wide. I would prefer not to block the fireplace and the windows. So I measured the distance of the wall (where the TV currently is) to the edge of the fireplace. Now converting that to a rectangular size, the room becomes about 14x18 and that is what I have used in the image below. The fireplace in that plan would start from the top left corner.

@wendy: Thank you so much. The walls as you said are going to be a challenge. We have two walls that are two stories tall. One above the TV that slopes down to the furnace. Another one above the kitchen. They are blank white space that we have no idea what to do with currently.
February 24, 2013 at 7:19AM   
dkiran
@carole : I was just typing up a reply :-) . I like the first and last pics. I prefer it if we have something that breaks up the entire blank whitespace on the wall.

Since the whitespace is so big, I am thinking of having horizontal pieces that can break up the flow. I have some good photos that I could use here... If I can have them framed like the images here
http://www.cadworksuk.co.uk/images/frames4.jpg

What do you think ?
February 24, 2013 at 7:23AM     
dkiran
@carole and @wendy : For the walls, do you think having a full decor would make the room look crowded ? Or do we use line art on the wall which would be less overwhelming..
February 24, 2013 at 7:31AM   
dkiran
@carole : My wife wants to have cellular shades in ivory color for the windows and remove the curtains completely.
February 24, 2013 at 7:32AM   
carole
i agree with her!!!never really found curtains i really love,but have them as my husband loves "öldfashioned'so we compromise!! seems like you have the same thing going on about the sofa!!i love the color and love the pictures framed that way ... and am still thinking about your walls,never decorated a double height,but do think that the white there is currently is too stark,a softer white with a hint of ivory.vanilla,that way your furniture will be the focalpoint and the fireplace ofcourse!! ... taken colorinspriration from that i think your walls could go a lot deeper but it does all have to gel,so lets take it one step at the time!!!
February 24, 2013 at 8:31AM   
PRO
Deborah Doane Interiors
Totally agree with others...not that rug! Go for those tones, but not a busy pattern - too much!
February 24, 2013 at 8:40AM   
Robin
hi. I agree with others regarding the matchy-matchy rug. Here's a useful link to a great cheat sheat for all kinds of room configurations. This image about area rugs is just one of many. http://honeyandfitz.com/wordpress/2012/06/12/home-decor-tips-infographics-cheat-sheets/

Have fun!
February 24, 2013 at 8:46AM   
carole
you think you dont have enough space for the rug (stripes makes the space look bigger) or for the amount of furniture?? up to you how many seats you want,if its just the 2 of you most of the time,your diningchairs,if comfy,can double as occasional seats,so can a ottoman......
February 24, 2013 at 8:47AM   
carole
now you are going to say i am a looney,but have to show you this
February 24, 2013 at 8:58AM   
carole
and lets now move on...wallcolor how about this...
February 24, 2013 at 8:59AM   
groveraxle
@dkiran, you don't have to do anything to the walls above 8 feet.

Concerning furniture arrangement, I would put the TV where it currently is to the left of the fireplace, put the 3-seater facing the fireplace, and place the loveseat at 90 degrees to the right of the fireplace forming an L with the sofa. This will keep the fireplace the focal point while allowing good viewing angles for the TV. (The current configuration ignores the fireplace completely, even blocks it a bit.)

The rug should be parallel to the sofa with front legs of sofa and loveseat both on the edges of the rug.

I agree to skip the drapes; I would go bare on the windows unless you really need to control the light.

The idea of black-and-white photos on the TV wall is great, but do them as a gallery only on the sides of the TV, not above. See pic below. And to coordinate with that, a black-and-white rug would look smashing in the space.
DUMICAN MOSEY Architects - Fillmore Street
Aria Black/White Rug
Soho Black/White Rug
our home
February 24, 2013 at 9:28AM     
dkiran
@Robin : That is great link !! Thank you..

@Carole : I like that sofa, so I don't think you're loony at all. It's practical and stylish at the same time.
My wife prefers having two pieces of furniture though.And it mostly might be the two of us, but we'll have friends , my parents and hers staying with us at different times, so I guess having additional seating will be a plus.

The photo of the wall color is kinda deceptive. It's not white at all, but a shade of yellow and a darker shade at that.

I am looking for slightly cooler shades. I like the blue in the furniture picture. I would look for a blue lighter than that. I am worried about all the other warm colors (sofa, fireplace, floors) in the room and wonder how a cool light blue would match up with that.

Here's the plan with the rug. I think it will fit in well with the room. The overall room is much bigger than this though. One of our constraints is that we have this curved staircase that encroaches a bit into the living room.
February 24, 2013 at 9:30AM     
dkiran
@groveraxle : Thanks.. I am not sure I understand about the frames to the side of the TV. The TV we have would probably take up 3 ft across. But the height of the ceiling is about 18ft on one end, maybe slightly less and slopes down to about 11 ft. Should the entire area above the TV be bare ?

My previous post has an image of our layout plan. It's a rectangle in the plan. But the top left corner is where the fireplace would start. Is this what you were suggesting ?

We would like to leave the windows bare, but my wife is concerned about privacy at night, but I think with the covered patio that might not be a problem. I'll check again when I go there..
February 24, 2013 at 9:42AM     
carole
thanks dkiran,i dont think you would have to keep the area above the tv empty,or that there is a rule that says it has to be filled!!i would however wait untill you have made all the other changes before buying or making anything for there,on one side is the fireplace on the other the stairs,so it might not need anything but just the color you choose for your wall,but if you do want to fill the space how about another one of your fotoos,blown up big??
February 24, 2013 at 10:05AM   
dkiran
@carole : I agree. I still have two weeks before I move in, so I can make the additional purchases later.

BTW, I love this rug
. I just wish the brown and the cream were interchanged. This might just be perfect in our room :-) . I notice your location says France (Wow!!!), did you purchase this in france or is it available here in the US ?
February 24, 2013 at 10:13AM   
carole
will have a look for you!!!its on ioffer.com that is like Ebay,new and second hand and trades in europe and canada too,could not find american link,but as it is something that can be send by post,it might be worth having a look
February 24, 2013 at 10:26AM   
barnrazn6
I like the idea of having the rug pattern match the fireplace pattern.
February 24, 2013 at 5:08PM   
carole
barnrazn6 NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!
February 24, 2013 at 5:20PM   
groveraxle
@dkiran, depending on the size of your TV, you might not need to hang anything on the walls. But if you do, I generally don't like to see anything hanging higher than eye level. It just looks off.

Here is what I meant by furniture arrangement:
February 24, 2013 at 7:32PM     
dkiran
@groveraxle: Wow!!! I must admit I hadn't thought of that. That might actually just be really really good. This is something I cannot get a mental image of; I'll have to actually arrange the furniture that way !! I cannot wait to have my furniture delivered :-)

@barnrazn: I know. Right away it seems like a unique and cool idea , but after a good nights sleep, I felt that this might not be ideal.
February 24, 2013 at 9:55PM   
dkiran
Also just wanted to add .. We saw this wall decor in a showroom just today. One of the ideas we have filed away for later in case the walls look too plain. Just FYI.
February 24, 2013 at 9:58PM     
Lili Rocha
Fireplace matching with rug is way too much information. I would pick one color of the fireplace bricks and choose for the rug OR shades with same color scheme but not same pattern.
February 24, 2013 at 10:40PM   
groveraxle
Ideas for the TV wall. A common solution would be a whole media center that incorporates the television. Or a couple of shelves to one side with some lovely objet d'art. Or mounting the TV on a slab of some kind so it becomes the art itself. All depends on size of wall and size of TV, of course.

TV
Luxury Real Estate Living Room
February 25, 2013 at 7:28AM   
groveraxle
I note that you have chosen light neutral recliner sofas. Do you have any other colors chosen or any color preferences? The room is a blank canvas now and you can go any direction you choose, so my suggestion is to find a rug you LOVE and use that to inform the rest of your choices. Just to get you started, I'll show you a rug I might pick to start, some coordinating products, and a couple of rooms. Your only limit is your imagination here.
Mystic Collection Turquoise Rug
Iman Turquoise and Orange Ikat Decorative Pillow Cover By PopOColor
Curvy Chrysanthemum Vase
Modern Curtains
Greenwood Village Home
East Living Room in Spanish Oaks
February 25, 2013 at 7:43AM   
groveraxle
@dkiran, you say you're having trouble visualizing the furniture arrangement I pictured so try this. Take the image below and mentally turn the sectional 45 degrees clockwise so the large part faces the fireplace head on.
February 25, 2013 at 7:49AM     
dkiran
@groveraxle : Great ideas. I like the turquoise color options.

I tried imagining the furniture that way. I just am not sure if this will block the entrance to the breakfast nook on the top right corner in the pic above.
February 25, 2013 at 1:52PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
Rug placement is wrong change it to rectangle to match the sofa and put under the sofa legs slightly to avoid tripping. Move couches to angle for fireplace and TV
February 25, 2013 at 1:56PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
Do panels instead of full drapes with the cellular shades. it will look more finished
February 25, 2013 at 2:02PM   
More Discussions
Kitchen floor tile problem
I have a large peninsula kitchen. I am redoing everything...
Buyers Remorse
Oh Houzz gurus. We bought a house. It was a bidding...
Open living/dining area
My living room/ dining room measures approx 25ft by...
Cost for Mantel vs. stucco on fireplace in new build home?
We are building a new home with DR Horton. Current...
I've painted my office Benjamin Moore's Breath of Fresh Air-I hate it
There's no color at all. I thought from looking at...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.