Users
Need help with kitchen
rainbug
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hopefully the images attach this time.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
wow... that overhead cabinet is not to code in my area. need 30" at least to underside of unshielded woodwork.

as mentioned before, the fan ducts could go in the overhead floor joist then out overtop of window. this is a job for a pro.
February 23, 2013 at 6:38pm   
Cindy Quinton
You could go with a Jennaire type of stove with a recirculation kit in that cabinet. I did that and love it. It is also a cheap option as the kit is only about an additional $125.
February 23, 2013 at 6:44pm   
rainbug
The home was built in 1966 we bought this to bring my elderly parents here to move in.
Code probably different in 1966. Still would like to have more cabinet space since we moved the other huge cabinet on the other side of island since it didn't make sense to have just a small walkway on in between cabinet and island or cabinet and wall. You could walk on either side ot the huge cabinet just only had about a foot or so though.
February 23, 2013 at 6:47pm   
Trish
I would remove those cabinets over the island.
February 23, 2013 at 8:11pm   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
I found the surface mounted fan is "cirrus" by best hoods. it is mounted up flush with ceiling. would suggest having a local designer look at this space. there is plenty of room, but refining the design is best left to experienced as you have so many walkways & other openings. It will be worth it in the long run. Especially since they will know the necessary walkway space & will be able to determine where to put extra storage.
February 25, 2013 at 12:30am   
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Urbana, good find on the surface mount hoods. The blowers must be huge to be effective from that distance from the cooktop surface. I know when installing standard island hoods there is a maximum distance the hood can be from the cooktop and ends up being just above eye level.
February 25, 2013 at 4:17am   
PRO
A Crew of Two
You have lots of options....obviously there is an elephant in the room. Remove that and you will get a better feel for the space. Self venting ranges are awesome- they are a bit pricier though. You do not have to keep the range in the island so don't let that dictate your space. This is a good basic kitchen with the sink in the island- I like a sink in the island because it allows interaction during food prep etc. You can see the island is turned 45 degrees from how your current one is...it has a better feel. I would choose a darker cabinet- easier to keep clean if you are going to have extra people in the house. Low maintenance. I would consider having a lower ledge added to the island to allow for lower seating, much easier for someone that is older rather than a high stool. I know my grandma likes to be in the heart of the kitchen to help, but she can't stand for long periods of time any more. These pics are not exact but an idea.
February 25, 2013 at 5:26am