Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fireplace focal point. Now what?
s00zer
February 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my new living room. I LOVE the fireplace but have no idea what to do with the rest of the room. I gravitate towards warm colors, but this room borders the dining room so it needs to work together. I have two neutral love seats and a couch that will go in this room. Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You're going to need some area rugs, so I'd start by using the warm tones in the FP to establish a color palette. Paint the two rooms the same. Will you watch TV in this room? That is usually the main consideration. If so, will it wall mount above the FP or elsewhere? Are there connections for it that you want to use? Can you install connections where you want them? Do you have dining furniture or any casegoods to use with your sofas? Can you add another couple of pictures - one from the sliders in the other direction and one of the dining area itself> Just attach images under the comment box and note that you've added them.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:09AM
s00zer
I don't have a picture from the sliders yet. I've also attached a pic of my sofa (it's dark, current place has bad lighting) and one of the end tables I have (Two small/1 larger) . I uploaded the art piece I'd like to hang over the fireplace. TV will be on a stand (may eventually hang it, but not yet) and 2 three-shelf book shelves on either side, a wood tone similar to the end table. I do have an area rug that's a maize color. The TV goes on the wall opposite the fireplace. Thanks for your input!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:07PM
decoenthusiaste
How do you feel about floating your seating in the center of the room? Tricky part is lamps and lighting, but if the TV is just on a stand for now, you can put it in the corner opposite the FP and float the sofa in the center facing the sliders TV, FP and the view can be seen from the sofa. Place the sofa on an area rug large enough to anchor that end of the room. Align the back of the sofa to be perpendicular to the corner wall of the kitchen and dining room. Add a sofa table behind it, a coffee table in front of it. I would create a second, more intimate seating area for conversation with the two loveseats in the area behind the sofa. This grouping would be directly across from the dining room. The sofa table would be part of it and the two sofas would face each other with another coffee table between them, one of your round tables at the end of each sofa opposite the end where the sofa table will be. Again, anchor with a rug, perhaps your maize one? A dining set must be 4' away from the walls on all sides for chair scoot and sit space. A rug under the table must be the same 4' larger than the table to allow for that. If your maize rug is too small for anchoring the room visually, it might work in the dining room. Some of the wood floor needs to be exposed all the way around. I would try a floating buffet and art on the back wall.A new chandelier hung 36" or less above the table would be nice, but maybe not a priority. You definitely need to paint the dining and living room the same color. Three pretty colors that tie to your painting above the FP are Sherwin Williams 0008 Cajun Red, 6653 Delicious Melon, and 6354 Armagnac.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:23AM