Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Questions about blinds....
aebj
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My decorator is suggesting we install 2" wood blinds in our 1970s house we are renovating instead of miniblinds. Are there advantages of one over the other? My husband works the night shift and sleeps days. Would the wood blinds make the rooms darker? I'm not sure about wood in the windows like that. It seems it would make the windows jump out and be too prominent. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
I hear huge debates over the use of blinds in rooms. But they are very practical.

What is nice is that the wood can match elements in your room; it is an organic product so it adds visual and textural cues of home.

What is not nice is they very linear and have a strong modern line to them that can be too harsh in some homes. (Many times they are flanked by real or fake curtains).

They do a pretty good job of keeping out the light - but all depends how close they are to the edges and how low they go. There will always be gaps of light coming through at various points. If I needed total blackout I would not use these, I would use blackout roller blinds or curtains
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 1:10AM
Susan Leonardson
My husband also works nights and sleeps days and we are considering getting the honeycomb black out shades. They will look better than our current set up which is mini blinds with ugly white black out curtains in front of them with designer curtains in front of those.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:37AM
bluvelvet222
Honeycomb blackout shades are the way to go. I am a nurse who works the night shift and no matter how sunny, I sleep like a baby.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 2:32AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
You can also get woven wood shades with a blackout liner. Also, mini blinds are dated, IMHO.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:22AM