Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tile vs Hardwood Laminate
A D
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! I have posted questions about this room earlier but I am thoroughly confused whether i should keep the existing tile in my formal living room or change it to a dark hardwood laminate. Please help!

I will also be changing the wall and ceiling colors.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
If budget allows, a more uniformed dark wood flooring would provide a cleaner look.

1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:29AM
A D
Thank you for the suggestion! I really like the wood stain in the picture above but as of now wood flooring is beyond our budget.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:38AM
Judy M
I feel like the painted ceiling is fighting the floor tile. I'd be inclined to paint the ceiling one color and lighten up the wall color a bit. I would add a very large carpet that all your furniture can fit on.

The room is very nice, but empty. I think once it is furnished, you won;t mind the tile. OR wait until you can afford a better quality of floor than laminate. This home is too nice for laminate flooring.
5 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:46AM
A D
Thanks Judy! Do you have any suggestions for wall and ceiling colors?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:49AM
Judy M
You should choose furniture first and then choose paint colors. My computer monitor might not be showing me the true color of the room and the actual color might make more sense depending on your furniture.
I love your front door.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:54AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
If the budget won't allow the hardwood....lots of large area rugs will help in the meantime...good luck!!
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:42AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Btw, I'd kill for that coffered ceiling....beautiful.....
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 6:45AM
judianna20
One of the many annoying things about a laminate floor is the sound it makes when you walk on it. It "clicks' and is a dead giveaway you do not have hardwood. You have a big room and I think laminate will exacerbate the large-space echo.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 6:57AM
Jayme H.
Not trying to influence..but my current laminate floors don't click...my old house had some also and didn't either...maybe that's an installation issue?
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:15AM
PRO
California Fence Company
I think you should change it to hardwood laminate. Your ceiling also is not plain and you floor too is checkered. It kind of gets a bit loud. To have a more sophisticated look you can change the flooring to hard wood laminate. It will give a new look to your space and I am sure you will like it.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:19AM
A D
Hi again! Because of budget constraints we have decided to keep the original checkered flooring. We will however be painting the walls to a BM Shaker Beige. Can anyone suggest a rug for the main area and also if we should put a rug in the entryway.

Thanks so much!
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 8:40PM
Darzy
I think antique white walls and white ceiling with your tile floors would be beautiful. Very large area rugs will warm up the space. I actually like the tile. :) Area rugs to break it up would good tho.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 8:50PM
A D
Thanks Darzy! But I'm struggling to figure out the kind of area rug that would complement these tiles. Can you give me suggestions for color and pattern?
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 8:55PM
Darzy
Here's a check floor with white walls. I would go for an antique white to complement the tile, but white trim.

1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 8:55PM
Darzy
The rug(s) would depend on your furniture/style. Do you have furniture yet or an idea of what furniture you want?
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 8:58PM
A D
Yes...It's the Saybridge sofas from Macys in either Buckwheat or Toast with a dark leather ottoman. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/martha-stewart-living-room-furniture-sets-pieces-saybridge?ID=625490
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 9:01PM
Darzy
Before I saw your furniture selection, this is what I had in mind for your space. It's close. :) Two large chesterfields in a neutral and similar color area rug. I wouldn't get matching chairs tho...break it up for more interest.

2 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 9:04PM
PRO
Straight A Builders, Inc.
I know there is an angled wall nearby, but the coffered ceiling would have looked better left square without the angled sections at the corners (imho). Maybe there was a structural or mechanical reason, but I doubt it. Or even a radius there to tie in with the curves over the fireplace would be better.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 10:41PM
PRO
Intern, V-Design Space
Check out the engineered wood options. They have a lot of really cool green options available. If that is not affordable get a fun rug that you like. Repaint the wood work a saturated (lighter) color on the same paint swatch as the wall color or have the walls matched up and pick a lighter color on that swatch. The white is blinding. Also I would add some details to the fireplace, some tiles or stone on the column part of it.
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 10:52PM
Judy M
Using cork underlayment with a laminate floor helps eliminate the click and hollow sound of laminate but I still would not use it in this room.
Nice choice on the sofas and my living room is also Shaker Beige.

If this were my room, it would have a huge oriental carpet, but then I tend to like very traditional things.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 3:41AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
I agree that laminate would not be your best choice though it has come a long way since it first appeared on the market. I suggest you make your paint changes and install an area rug and furniture and wait until you can afford hardwood or an engineered product. Are you in a hot climate? Asking because of all the tile. If so then keep an eye out for engineered which will do better with humidity changes.

I love the ceiling and don't mind the angles, it draw your eyes into the fireplace, but do paint it all one colour.

Paint the faux transoms on either side of the fireplace the same as the trim.
1 Like   March 4, 2013 at 4:07AM
A D
Finally made the decision to install dark hardwood floors :) Do you think it's better to have floating engineered hardwood or should we remove the tile and then install it? Also do you have any recommendations for wall color. Thanks!
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 1:21PM
lexsali
It's too late now I guess, but I would have kept the tile and changed the paint...the tile adds character I think...anyway, good luck with the new floor!
1 Like   March 12, 2013 at 1:31PM
PRO
REDinterior
Just a quick aside, hardwood is a natural product, laminate is a man-made product. There is no such thing as a hardwood laminate. There is however engineered wood which is a layer of wood, anywhere from 1/4" to a 1/32" thick, adhered to cross glued plywood base which makes it very stable. Engineered wood is less expensive than solid wood and more expensive than laminate. While I am on my educational stint, please know laminate should not be used in wet areas as it can swell if water is left standing on it because the subsurface is made of particle board. Good luck on your project.
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 1:47PM
PRO
Straight A Builders, Inc.
Think about your transitions to the patio doors and adjacent floors. Also, you will need to keep a section of noncombustible flooring or hearth in front of the fireplace. Transitions will likely be easier and cleaner after removing the tile. Your flooring contractor should verify the moisture content in the concrete slab and seal it if needed also. A glued installation would give you opportunity for nicer transitions as well. I would use engineered either way in this room. (assuming the tile is not an option)
0 Likes   March 12, 2013 at 1:49PM
A D
Hi again! I have attached a picture of the dining room that is adjacent to the formal living. Is it ok if I leave the tiles on in the dining room and only have the dark espresso hardwood in the living room area? Also I have carpet in all the bedrooms. I hope the mix of hardwood, tile and carpet won't be too much. I haven't yet started on this project so please let me know if you have any alternate suggestions.
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 12:46PM
A D
Should I leave the tile as is? I am really confused so would really appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 1:55PM
latifeh
If money is no object go ahead other wise it's not bad at all
0 Likes   March 16, 2013 at 2:29PM