Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
PLEASE help!
fowler261
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a very open floor plan. 4 rooms. Have tried to nuetralize all but very boring. Kitchen has white tile floor, maple cabinets. Other parts are light laminate flooring. Any ideas on rugs or paint color, etc would be very much appreciated!! The flooring has to stay for now and we are planning a new countertop eventually - and perhaps painting cabinets. Any ideas???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
Steel blue or jeans fabric on the seats.

I like the look, but the tobacco brown seems off.
So new upholstering maybe?

And a soft greyish blue on the kitchen walls, for balance?
February 24, 2013 at 6:59AM     
misecretary
Picture #1 looks very neutral so I was pleasantly surprised when I got a look at living room in pics 2,3,4. There is a lot of life in there! I think the kitchen dining area is what is throwing you off. The white table on the white floor is white! Are you Interested in darkening up the table and chair set? The wood pieces in your living room are warm tones, as are the cabinets. Not really sure about this, but how about expresso color? The column straight on (with light switches) is a perfect spot for some art work.
February 24, 2013 at 8:50AM   
cohoek
Hi, I think your livingroom looks fine it just needs some contrasting pillows and maybe an area rug in the colors you already have going on. This will tie everything together. I like the idea of denim chair covers for the kitchen. First figure out what kind of style you want, your kitchen table and chairs look country style, Maybe a blue and white table cloth if you're in your twenties? Looks great with wooden cabinets. Try laying some jeans around and take a step back to look.
February 24, 2013 at 9:31AM     
Krista Hickey
Is your furniture against the wall? It seems that you may have enough room to pull it away from the wall and create a focal around your fireplace.
February 24, 2013 at 1:39PM     
fowler261
Yes it is and these rooms are beautiful (What I am trying to achieve) Thanks for the ideas - I am going to try to copy these rooms!
February 24, 2013 at 2:42PM   
fowler261
misecretary - thats funny because I agree the white on white is too much but the kitchen is small and could not figure out how to work with it all. The kitchen cabinets are light maple and in great shape although I think the color is dated (Would love to paint but not up for the challenge just yet) I agree about the table and love expresso - do you think that would be too much with the cherry furniture in the other rooms and maple cabinets??
February 24, 2013 at 2:46PM   
collettec
I think you could use area rugs for both the living room and dining area. In the living room, the wall color and window treatments are light higher up, the flooring and furniture is dark lower in the room. I think you need an area rug with some of the lighter color of the walls in it. In the dining room, I think that the area rug and possibly the seating should include some of the darker colors of the furniture in the living room to tie the rooms together.
February 24, 2013 at 2:48PM   
misecretary
To be honest, I'm not sure if its considered proper or not; however I see no reason why different woods can't live together. Think of the various types of trees in the woods lol. Seriously, the cherry tone would work well on the dining set too. Another idea--put a table cloth on the table (not white), stand back and snap a picture from the same spot you took this one. Sometimes what we cannot see in person, is so very obvious in a snapshot. Maybe some color is all you need there and not a complete re-staining of the set.

I don't want to steer you wrong, so hopefully some-one will point out any mistakes I've made with my suggestions.

Side note:
Actually it's kind of funny--my kitchen is 4 years NEW and I ADDED Maple cabinets (not a fan of too much wood grain) and paired them with a cherry floor!
February 24, 2013 at 3:52PM