Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small living room
tbenish
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This room isn't working with this layout. It's dimensions are 13x15 and is a walk through room. Any ideas for a new arrangement.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misecretary
How about working WITH the angle of the three lower steps and put the entire grouping on same angle?
Place the rug on same angle then couch and chairs. Chairs may have to be tweaked--maybe one on either side of the fire place? Perhaps move your tree behind the angled couch to somewhat block the view of the closet doors.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:02AM
PRO
Rooms That Work
Beautiful room! Great light and gorgeous fireplace. Question: how will you be using this room? Is it a quiet place to read? A place to sit with another person and have a conversation? It isn't a TV room and I'm pretty sure there's a larger Living Room. You have an opportunity to make something very special here, I think.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:11AM
PRO
Rooms That Work
One more question, what's outside the window behind the sofa? Is there something pretty to see? Or is it just letting in light, but otherwise not adding anything to the room?
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:15AM
collettec
Perhaps something to visually close in the entrance area. You might try pulling one chair around facing the fireplace and the other more centered facing the window. Not sure if there is room but if there is perhaps the option of moving the sofa to the area where the chairs currently are and moving the chairs facing the fireplace or one facing the fireplace and one facing the dining room. Another issue in having the room look more like a living room and less like a pass through is adding more to make it a room with a function. With that great fireplace, would move the tree and use shelves or tables to either side of the fireplace and add decor items there and on the coffee table to really finish the room as a room.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:16AM
tbenish
This room is for entertaining,reading and a quiet conversation. I would like to replace the furniture and was thinking of replacing the couch and chairs with upholstered chairs! a bit unconventional but it would make for a great conversation gathering area. The windows look out onto trees.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:11AM
PRO
Rooms That Work
You and I are on exactly the same page! This room is made for one of my favorite furniture layouts: four chairs around a large round coffee table/ottoman. That configuration will balance the room and leave enough space between chairs to feel open and not block flow. Then you get to add some interesting things to the niches and you're done!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:32AM
shortped
Small sectional might work better. What look do u want to achieve?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:32AM
PRO
Rooms That Work
Forgot to say that because the four chairs will be in an arc, movement through the space is facilitated and encouraged, rather than blocked off with a sofa.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:35AM
shortped
I too like the idea of 4 club chairs and a round table/ottoman, but is there enough room?
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 9:37AM
tbenish
I was set on that configuration but was afraid It would be to much like a hotel lobby. Then I got a suggestion to separate the chairs into groups of two using matching chairs per grouping separated by tables.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:50AM
tbenish
I have a sectional in the adjoining room with an ottoman.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:54AM
shortped
What about those slim chaises that have no front or back so u can sit on either side? I have seen those in front of fireplaces because they do not block the view.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 9:58AM
Genevieve
Just place the chairs where the sofa is keep it the way it is it looks lovely and fresh http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/2011/12/13/DP_Jennifer-Jones-living-room-draperies-bay-window_s4x3_lg.jpg
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:02AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A sectional would be great.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:05AM
tbenish
The room is too small for chaises.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:13AM
shortped
Not a chaise...idk what they are called.....they look like long ottoman with sides
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:29AM
PRO
Rooms That Work
They're called upholstered benches. With the large sectional in the other room, something lighter is definitely is order. Benches look lovely, but no one really likes sitting on them. People love their own chairs, and when you have four the same, everyone feels equal. Great for conversation. Mock it up if you can. You'll see what feels right in the room. Best of luck. It will be beautiful.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 11:12AM
tbenish
Thanks for your suggestions the confidence boost.
I could use some suggestions on color choice. my color pallets is neutral -cream, taupe, brown, black and white. would the fireplace be to dark to use off white on the holstered LR chairs?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:25PM
PRO
Rooms That Work
Are you kidding? Off white would be stunning! The kids get the sectional. This room is for grown-ups!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 1:37PM
Denice Shuty
The rug is too small for the scale of the room, it should be bigger than the measurements of the fireplace surround. This room could be fabulous, but give it some well deserved thought.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 1:46PM
Denice Shuty
In traditional design they called this room a Salon. Check out Ideabooks in Houzz for Hollywood glam style. I love your front door.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:49PM
tbenish
Thanks.
You are right the rug is too small. It's helping to protect the new floors till we decide on what's appropriate.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:56PM
tbenish
Hi Susan. I'm having such a hard time navigating, not too used to this site but I love it!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:59PM
tbenish
The kids & husbands wouldnt be to happy without a TV. Somehow only the women gather in the "salon".
Should I toss the drapes or try to work with them? I was hopping to paint the walls the background color of the drapes-soft gold but not sure it will look right or if it will coordinate well with the dining room.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:06PM
Denice Shuty
Do you have tall ceilings, then do the drapes all the way to the ceiling if you can. Change that colonial looking chandelier. I love the table and chairs and taupe rug. Go to the Horchow profile here on Houzz, they have thousands of great ideas that will work for you
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I like neutrals for paint, they are timeless and lighten up a room: light browns, beige, creamy naturals even greens!...

An easy way to bring more light in the room is to reverse the couch and the chairs, location. Chairs in front of the window bring more light in the space rather than couch!...you won't have to buy anything and still can use everything in your existing space....
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:11PM
tbenish
I have cathedral ceilings but the air vents are in the way of using floor to ceiling drapes!
Thanks for the chandelier advice. What chandelier would you suggest for an African contemporary theme?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:31PM
Jennifer Walters
If there's enough room, I'd float the couch in front of the fireplace, flank the fireplace with one of the chairs on either side and purchase a narrow console table to hold a plant, photos and buffet lamps. Love the rug!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 2:41PM
Denice Shuty
I know what you mean by the air vent thing. I have that too. Your style is African contemporary? I wouldn't have guessed that. Check out some ideas from West Elm or Horchow. Maybe something made of seashells or capiz shells. check out these images on Houzz:

Family Room design by Los Angeles Interior Designer Elizabeth Dinkel

Modern Dining Room design by New York Interior Designer Amy Lau Design
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:45PM
Denice Shuty
Those links don't seem to have worked, but search for those photos on Houzz using the designer's name. For the furniture,near the fireplace I like the idea of a sumptuous suede chesterfield.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:49PM