Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small living room.
lkdnevada
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am really struggling with this living room and want to make it a room we want to use ... perhaps as a place to read. There is no focal point (fireplace). How do I make it work?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Can we see the other walls and furniture? We do better with lots of photos so we get a sense of the room and what you have to work with. Would first start by removing the mirror - it doesn't help the space look bigger and if it doesn't reflect something beautiful or interesting you'd be better off with a piece of art. You can make a focal of the wall the sofa is on. Move the cabinet there under a piece of art and paint the wall an accent color, adding drapes too. Or you could get one of the electric fireplaces for that wall, then float the sofa in the center on a great area rug, facing the new focal. More pics = more input from Houzzers. Please add them to this post by commenting and attaching images below the comment box.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:20AM
lkdnevada
Yes! I am attaching additional photos. I wonder if the furniture is too large for the space as well? I would really like it to be a library or a place to gather after dinner but not sure how in the world to get there! Thanks.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:02PM
lkdnevada
Additional photos...
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:34PM
lkdnevada
I moved the sofa to in front of the window but it still looks too big for the room. Thinking about a book case for the wall between the two windows?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:36PM
barnrazn6
I think you could add some more color and decorations.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:30PM
decoenthusiaste
Here a few suggestions. Move the clock to the foyer where you have the three items hanging on the wall. Can the bench go somewhere else?I see other rooms from the foyer shots where you might flip or borrow furniture? You're right about the furniture being wider than the windows, but the simple solution to that is to frame the window with drapery panels that mostly cover the walls and just hide the window frames. Here's where you can work in some pattern and some soft color that still enhances your neutral theme. I actually don't see framing around the windows, so adding that will also beef them up and widen them some. Hang the panels floor to ceiling on a decorative rod. I would choose either the hassock or the coffee table, but not use both together. The hassock might be the better choice because the three tables are matched and that is no longer in fashion. Your foyer focal, the niche, is not being emphasized for what it is. That would be a spot to enhance with a paint treatment or your soft color from the drapery. Enlarge the scale of whatever you put in it - art, sculpture, floral. Try a larger rug in the foyer that extends from the door to between the niche and the bottom stair. Another spot to re-emphasize a light accent color.
Knap://www.houzz.com/photos/531200/Silver---Gold-Niche-modern-entry-minneapolis
Modern Classic Family room
Suzani Powder Blue Contemporary Drapery Fabric
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:00AM
lkdnevada
Thank you so much! I will get started on it this weekend. :-)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:55PM
decoenthusiaste
Please post your results, and we'll go from there.
0 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 7:46AM
lkdnevada
I moved the clock to the foyer and moved the sofa so that it faces the focus wall where a bookcase or electric fireplace might be. What do you think? I need to find a pattern I love for draperies...haven't found it yet.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 4:23PM
charlee
Love, love love that mirror! I like the location of the table and mirror now. Have you thought of a round rug in the foyer? If you can, you will be happier with a fireplace and maybe a mantle to beef up that wall and give more interest than a bookcase it would seem. You can then really make some changes with the drapes you are looking for. Another thing, how would a mural be in the niche which might extend leaves or some small thing in it to the sides slightly? I have seen a large niche in the dining room of my neighbor which was painted by another friend to looked like a road could take you inside to an Italian villa. It was beautiful and took a few days to paint it.
0 Likes   March 3, 2013 at 4:50PM