Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen design please
matada99
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am ready to remodel my kitchen and I have a number of questions.
1. What color and style for the cabinets? Ultra modern and ultra traditional will not work for us, but other than that I'm open to ideas
2. what colour countertops? We are not changing out the floors. It is a cream colored tile. 12 x 12 with cream grout
3. Should I go with a 36" range? (I am changing out the appliances)
4. I hate the diagonal corner cabinet between the windows and want to go with a proper corner cabinet (and move the sink to the island). Will that work
5. What should I do with the wall behind the dining area? Make it an accent wall (floor to ceiling tile?) or put a narrow pantry?
6. Finally, do I have room for a wall oven?
I know this is a lot and I appreciate all the help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
matada99
The kitchen is open to our family room. Here are some pics of that space.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:00AM
matada99
I am trying to decide between dark cabinets (with a cream countertop?) or creamy-white cabinets with a dark countertop
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:44PM
semihugger1
I'm confused:) Is the actual layout in your kitchen not working? Since kitchen remodels are expensive do you just need a tweek and an update? As to stove size etc, how much do you cook and entertain?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
Designer's Edge Kitchen & Bath
The first thing I am going to recommend is that you hire a National Kitchen & Bath Association certified designer. Choosing the right design professional is an important decision for your project’s success. You will be working with a professional who:
1. Who has comprehensive knowledge in kitchen and bath design, as well as construction, mechanical, plumbing and electrical systems.
2. Adheres to a strict code of professional conduct.
3. Is an expert who recognizes the importance of consumer health, safety, and welfare in kitchen and bath design.
4. Is skilled at assessing and understanding individual needs and wants then creating designs that meet and exceed these requirements.
5. Remains current on local building codes, safety and environmental regulations and the wealth of new products and equipment on the market.

In the long run a professional can save you time and money by avoiding costly errors. For example, I understand the frustration of digging in a deep, inefficient diagonal sink base cabinet--I had one once and hated it! However, where will your current dishwasher go? When the door is down, will it be a tripping hazard behind you, will it be convenient to turn around and attempt to load dirty dishes? Will you have adequate & efficient sink area counter-top space for food prepping and especially cleanup with stacks of dirty glasses, plates and cooking utensils? Your island is large and should have adequate room, but dishwasher placement is an issue. Code requirements for island sinks and their plumbing is very specific. A designer is trained to look at every work section of your kitchen and give you a kitchen that not only looks good, but is a joy to work in because it functions well.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:04PM
sandids
Cream cabinets would look beautiful with a granite counter that has some darker colors in a cream base. You could add wall ovens if you have room to extend your counter to the right of the sink and reframe that wall that now has the tall cabinet against it. Don't know if your dining space allows for you to take up that square footage or if you'd be running into the island area, hard to tell from photo how much room there is. If not, I would do a beautiful piece on that dining wall that looks like a furniture type piece and make it into a pantry. Yes, the sink can go in the island. An undermount sink would be nice. As far as a 36" range, they are great and if you do a lot of cooking, it is nice to have the extra burners.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:10PM
matada99
Thank you all for the comments. The actual layout of the kitchen (other than the diagonal cupboard) works fine. If I move the sink to the island, I am also going to move the dishwasher there. The eating area does not have enough room for a wall oven. The only place that I can think of is beside the fridge, but I don't think that will look right. I love both dark kitchens and white ones, but I'm worried that dark might be overwhelming and white/cream might not fit with the overall look of the dining and living areas
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:02PM
PRO
One of the things that adds interest is having your perimeter cabinets in one color and your island in a contrasting color. Your countertop should be selected after the cabinet colors are chosen and that will also give you the opportunity for contrast. You could also consider base cabinets in one color and the upper cabinets in a different color. I've attached some images for you.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:07AM
Tarey Cullen
Couple of questions: It appears you have "created a island eating area by using a table and also repeated that same height for your dining table ? Do you see yourself merging these two areas into one super big surface ?
You plan on relocating your sink and dishwasher to the island- what do you want to use the corner where the sink currently sets?
You question if you have room for double ovens, yet at present you have a drop in range/oven? with the change to the right corner sink area , do you envision "enlarging the cooktop and oven area towards the right ? --with a larger "hood " , and have you thought of having two-below counter ovens ?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:25AM
Tarey Cullen
couple more questions, please: the sliding doors on the right are to the "deck or patio " ? Does your family use this area and do you entertain, cookout there using these doors for access ? Ho many do you normally seat for dinner ? Based on your furniture choice- you seem to be more informal-than formal. ? Can the siblings easily handle the taller counter stools? Would a built -in microwave on the island be useful for other "younger" family members ?

and... How is the lighting in the area ? Do you envision adding more lighting -below the cabinets and perhaps above as soffit lighting?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:37AM
Tarey Cullen
In regards to counter-top color;
Also, please take note of the glass door fronts in the photo. Your current cabinet door appears to be adaptable to inserting glass. A significant cost savings compared to tearing out and replacing the cabinets ?

Caesarstone Wild Rice 4360 features blended natural mid-brown tones within the base structure. The polished surface is nonporous, scratch-resistant and highly resistant to stains.http://www.forresidentialpros.com/product/10761740/caesarstone-wild-rice-countertop

www.caesarstone.ca/en/The-Catalog/Pages/4360%20Wild%20Rice.aspx
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:05PM
matada99
Designer's Edge: thank you for the inspiration pics. I am considering darker base cabinets & island and light (white?) uppers.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 3:57PM
matada99
Tarey Cullen: yes, we have a table acting as an island eating area. It will go away with the renovation. I was just trying to see if we had enough floor space to extend the island a bit for an eating area. As for getting rid of the table and chairs and extending the island all the way over: we did consider this, but dismissed it for two reasons: 1. Budget and 2. I thought that such a large island would overwhelm the space
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:02PM
matada99
The patio doors open to a deck that we use frequently in the summer months. We are a family of 5 and we all eat at the kitchen table almost every day. The kids can manage the chair height with no problems. I would love to tuck the microwave into a cabinet to hide it. The lighting is ok, but definitely could be improved.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:06PM
matada99
I am rethinking moving my sink and dishwasher to the island as a friend pointed out that it will take up a lot of prep area and serving area - so now I'm back to my original problem of what to do about the corner cabinet. I am thinking about getting rid of the diagonal altogether and just extending the bank of lower cabinets in a straight line down to the corner. I'm just worried if I do this, the sink will be too close to the corner wall
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:12PM
PRO
With your light floors, a darker base cabinet is best. I'm sure you are starting you Ideabook here on Houzz. From what I have seen from your photos without accurate measurements, your sink/DW can be a big issue in placement, clearances and so many other issues that Kitchen & Bath professionals are trained to deal with. I strongly encourage you to contact a design professional. For instance, I do design only and do not sell products. I often will do just a 2-3 hour consultation to help with design dilemmas. If you go to www.NKBA.org there is so much consumer information and you can input your zip code to find a Kitchen & Bath designer in your area. Call several and find out what they would charge for various services and if they do consultations. No one charges to talk with you over the phone about their services!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 8:31PM
matada99
Thank you
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:03PM