Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Adding character to faux adobe
dreaenriquez
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The exterior of my house is boring. I want to add something but i don't know what to bring it to life. I was thinking about adding stone to the middle or bottom but I don't know if that would go with the faux adobe look. The entry way also has this very long plain wall to the right and is definitely giving me a "designers block", please help any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rinqreation
Paint the stucco (brighter, white f.e.) and add a foot of stone on the bottom.
February 24, 2013 at 12:18pm   
dreaenriquez
Thank you for your suggestion, the foot of stone I think I'm definitely gonna do, any other suggestions that are a little easier ( I.E adding trees or iron rod or something) and what about the long wall ?
February 24, 2013 at 1:01pm   
semihugger1
What great potential! without breaking your bank I would consider a raised bed in a curving pattern at the front of your home. Add some window shutters as well. If long term you are not a gardener and do not want grass I would put in a large spanish style ground fountain with an underlayment of pavers or tile to break up the monotany of that bark or rock seen in your picture. Even with a fountain you could give up the raised bed and just make the curved bed with some low growing foundation plants. You also could consider putting a stain on your concrete walkway:)
February 24, 2013 at 1:17pm   
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Yes, I agree that the stone would be a great idea, in terms of a ledgestone or a stack stone. I don't mind the color, just find a complimentary texture and color of stone and spend your money there. Re: stone accent, I would go as high as the top of the bump out at the corner on the right hand of the photo, perhaps 24" high, with a band and sloped cap. This photo represents a treatment to a high end home, but the concept is similar to what you could do. Your entry column (one, not two as shown in the photo) could have this same detail to the height of the window head (top of window). 'Faux' stone is likely best, given that it is not as thick (deep) as natural stone.I.e., your entry might be too tight to place stone on both sides within the entry door recess. www.mutualmaterials.com offers many choices for your endeavor, per this link http://www.mutualmaterials.com/professional/products/masonry-products/cultured-stone?section=shapes-colors (copy/paste into your browser). The landscaping idea above seems reasonable. Assuming this is the SW, succulents/cactii seem appropriate. I hope that it helps. Best of luck.
February 24, 2013 at 2:40pm   
rinqreation
I would not be too worried over the long wall, you'll find something.
If you'd widen the path a little (width of pillar?) you could place some high pots there. Or hang some artwork. A fake window with a mirror and a planter. A bench. Deco later, build/paint now ;)

Cedric wall mirrors
Traditional Bedroom Benches
February 25, 2013 at 2:47am   
More Discussions
liven up my entryway
Any suggestions to make the entryway more inviting...
Pillows please
Pillow suggestions for this rug.
Need help with artwork for my kitchen wall
Just can't seem to find the right art to hang on this...
How to find an upholstered bed with no off-gassing?
We're looking for a new bed, I'm leaning towards fabric/upholstery...
Stair runner for curved stair
My classically traditional client is interested in...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.