Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me with this foyer!
jessi1213
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I like contemporary...and that's as far as I can get. I feel a lot of pressure with the first place people see when they walk in. What would I do with the shelf above the door? And what color works for the walls that keeps a happy light feeling...without being boring.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Katie Anderson Design Consultants - CCIDC #6679
If your style is "contemporary" as you stated then there are quite a few fixes, albeit somewhat of an investment. But if this is your home for longer than 5-6 years then it is worth putting some money into it. First of all replace the stair railing with glass. I did this a few years back and it makes all the difference with a first impression. Take a look at the image attached and you can view it in a "before&after" mode on my website: http://www.katieworld.com/gallery/before-after

As for the shelf over the front door; I don't see any light sources in this space. This could be a very good place to install lighting. Other than the labor this is a relatively inexpensive change that will have quite an impact on the space and note that light is what expressed color. I recommend a "puck" light usually used for under kitchen cabinets. They come in both incandescent and LED. When installed "upside down" they will throw the light upwards to the ceiling which will give a "wash" of light to the foyer. Also it can be seen from outside and will make your home look more attractive from the street.

Replace all the "home depot" style stock features such as the grid windows and vinyl panel doors with wood doors sporting no "beveled" or "inset" panels and clean glass windows. The window above the door could be widened to create more of a "picture" to the outside from the upstairs and allow more natural light to enter the space.

Color is personal and this space looks to be open to a lot of other areas. Ocher yellows and Celdon greens are both warm and soothing hues and would go nicely with the existing floor color.

I hope this has been helpful
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:55AM
jessi1213
Thank you so much! I will definitely start with the lighting project, it sounds fantastic! As much as I love the look of glass instead of railing, that may have to wait until little sticky fingers get older.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:38PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
@Katie, that's a wonderful transformation you made with the glass staircase "railing". I like your other ideas also. Since she's worried about fingerprints, Jessi might be able to do an iron railing instead which would update the look her house has.

0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:54PM
PRO
Dytecture
Not sure how changing the handrail fits with the rest of your house.

0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:37PM
jessi1213
I am definitely open to changing the rails down the road, but for expense purposes the paint color is my first concern. I can't seem to pick one!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:48PM
decoenthusiaste
Looks to be a pretty traditional house based on what we see in the picture. Do you have contemporary furniture that you plan to use? Not sure we understand your concept of the term, since what we see is pretty traditional furniture. Can we see other rooms to get a handle on your style?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:09PM
Amy Stanley
The house does feel very traditional. You could paint the stair rails white and change the wall color to a cooler color this will help give you a more "modern' feel which I think you are meaning when you say "contemporary".
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:50PM
Judy M
Paint can fix the staircase. Paint handrail glossy black and spindles white. Get a large area carpet to help fill the foyer space. Dress that small chest I see in photo with a lamp or big ginger jar in a color you like. Make a plan and then choose a paint color.

0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:07PM
jessi1213
We actually just bought this house :) We move in a month from now. Since I'm pregnant and can't be around the paint fumes, we are having it painted before moving in. We haven't bought furniture yet, which leaves us really open to any paint color that matches the floor!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:43PM
Lkristine
Tree Moss, Benjamin Moore would go well with the current flooring. As well, if you decide to change the floors to darker stain down the road and paint the railings like Judy M posted above, would give a much more transitional appeal that could incorporate the contemporary you like, with the elements within your beautiful home! Congratulations on your new home, and your soon to be, new little bundle of joy!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:27PM
jessi1213
LKristine I can not thank you enough for posting those pics. I do like that color! What program did you use and how can I get it for the rest of my house?!?!
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:33PM
Lkristine
Here is the link for painting rooms! It's fun too!!!! Glad it gives you an idea of what you can do with your beautiful new home! http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/personal-color-viewer
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 6:24PM
amjadjor
درابزين
0 Likes   March 19, 2013 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
Help Me Decorate for 50th Anniversary Dinner
Hi artists! I know this isn't the typical Houzz post,...
Need help with kitchen sink.
What kind of sink to use with granite counters, oil...
photos to canvas
For landscape photos to canvas, would it look best...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Master bedroom paint color
My bedroom furniture is antique. I have purchased...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.