Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Foyer decor help!
Lindsey
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have this huge foyer which is almost like another small room. The ceilings are about 15 feet tall with a ledge on one side. How do I fill this space!? I was thinking of doing a picture collage over the table and vases on the ledge. I'd leave the other wall blank? Should I fill both walls? Maybe put a chair and a small table? Please help?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lindsey
I love these two collages but again, not sure if its enough to fill the space or if the frames are too small.
February 24, 2013 at 11:07AM   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
I would start with the full size mirror and work around that :)))))
February 24, 2013 at 11:17AM     
PRO
Galleria Place
Your walls need something to offset the height. Here are some good decor ideas for sale. http://www.bargainbacker.com/Wall-Decor_c_13.html
February 24, 2013 at 11:20AM   
carole
for myself i have a rule in hanging collages,no higher then a meter above my head,but it is what you like!! big or small frames that really does not matter,i think for your hallway a mirror above the console and frames on the opposite site,start about 70 centimeters from the door,so you dont knock them of with a big wintercoat or when you are all coming in or out at the same time!! just measure out a space on the wall and fill it in!!!
February 24, 2013 at 11:22AM   
spitfire60
I don't have a foyer, but I would put some type of seat/shoe area ... Start looking at pictures, determine what you are going for and go for it..
February 24, 2013 at 11:33AM     
suzvanlel
this room seriously needs one big mirror on the wall behind the hall table for starters, and geometrically placed floating shelves either side for the ornaments, photos and lamp/s. Dado rail along the ledge to follow round to the window, stop at frame and then start other side of the frame. paint a mural on the big wall - something like a receding country lane/Italian side street or whatever. The hall table should not be half on and off the carpet? from the pics it looks too delicate for the space - again a chunky floating 'table' surface to match the shelves.Plant a synthetic hanging garden on the ledge? or create up lighting and take out the centre light. put in a dropped ceiling - lattice type to bring the room more into proportion. or turn the portion above the ledge into a library with a fun straight up ladder that slides along the 'dado' rail (which would have 'engineered'). Would be great if you could replace the window above the door with one that runs the entire width on the room.The panels on the doors would look good painted in the same colour of the walls.
February 24, 2013 at 11:35AM   
Lindsey
Giant mirror is a great idea to start with. That one slipped my mind. Not liking the idea of painting a mural but that's a good suggestion. Maybe if I could create a mud room bench on the giant wall for shoes and it would take up space. Don't have kids yet but I know that would come in handy when we do!

Thanks for the suggestions!
February 24, 2013 at 11:53AM   
PRO
HomeCheckDallas
Two, maybe three, quick suggestions -- 1) have the chandelier lowered so that the bottom hangs about 6 inches above the top of the door; move the console toward the door so that it sits completely on the tile -- it does not have to be centered on that wall; remove the lamp; hang a LARGE, tall, framed mirror above it -- it should be 12-14 inches above the surface of the console and could be as tall as you could find one, as long as the height to width proportion is pleasing. Again, it does not have to be centered above the table. Place one large bowl, sculpture or floral arrangement on the table. Perhaps try to place a tall, skinny tree or a great vase/umbrella stand with tall reeds to the right of the console (on the carpet. Leave the ledge bare. Because the ceiling height is so disproportionate to the space, you really don't want to emphasize the height. I would probably hang one large, almost square, colorful canvas on the opposite wall. Just make sure it is reflected by the mirror from both the front door and the room the hallway leads into.

One other possibility would be to paint the three walls with horizontal stripes -- they could be very subtle and simply be alternating sheen of the same color paint to deflect the eye from the height of the room.

Good luck!
February 24, 2013 at 11:57AM     
mictros
Replace the overhead light fixture. It is dated. Consider installing a product on those windows from here: http://www.artscape-inc.com/products/ They have privacy, anti-glare, and energy saving film very reasonable. Anything you place on that ledge? Needs to be proper scale for dramatic visual. Tiny won't do. Mirrors are an excellent idea to open up small spaces. You hardly suffer from that problem, and the light from the windows, if left as they are, will blind you with reflection. Large art that appeals to you, or giclee triptych such as this:
February 24, 2013 at 12:34PM     
mictros
Or this. Both are available at OneKingsLane.com
February 24, 2013 at 12:35PM     
mictros
Without knowing your style? That's the two best Ideas I have. The White is available in 3 colors.
February 24, 2013 at 12:39PM   
mictros
Minka-Lavery Marsoni Distressed Bronze Five-Light Downlight Chandelier with Old World Patina Glass 299.90 Sale at Bellacor. MSRP is 450.00
February 24, 2013 at 1:01PM   
vjs12
I like HomecheckDallas' idea with the large canvas print, light and mirror suggestions. The Starving Artists shows where you can purchase oil paintings from them for that large wall would be nice too. Maybe if you are in the market to replace the table, buy a chest with some bulk to it. Check out my ideabooks for suggestions. Good luck!
February 24, 2013 at 3:40PM     
aileenalannah
Think wallpaper. A large mirror is practical in an entry. Super-sized vases on each side of the table would be impressive.
Or pedestals with vases.
February 24, 2013 at 3:44PM     
Mark Harpe
I don't know if you are thinking along other lines or ideas but I would consider a new door with side lights and a glass and wood door as well. Look at all the light coming through the transom above the door! Fill the space with light. I would also consider getting rid of the shelf and extending the wall up. Add a heavy crown molding that is also a light cove and up light the ceiling. This space would look great with a large chandelier or exaggerated pendant. Consider changing the floor out for something more formal like polished granite or a nicer finish tile. Also white walls or off white walls with wall sconces would look nice I think. A simple piece of antique furniture like a secretary or side table would fit the space well (like what you already have.) a place for fresh flowers is an idea as well.
February 24, 2013 at 4:18PM     
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
An armoire (to put all your outdoor apparel) on one wall and a bench on the other. This would fill up the space and would be practical! And a bigger chandelier for sure.
February 24, 2013 at 5:08PM   
myrns
Replace the 1980s chandelier with a larger one hung lower. Replace the area rug with a larger more colorful Persian-style one and site it closer to the front door so you step on it when you enter. Ignore the ledge. Replace the front door at some point with a craftsman style (if it suits the exterior of your home) with eye level window panes so you can see who is outside the door. Entrance as it is now feels a bit like a tunnel.....................or it could be the camera angle.
February 24, 2013 at 5:58PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Keep the ledge as it is a nice architectural feature. Highlight some very large items. Maybe a grouping of 3 -5 items. Leave some negative space. If you close the ledge in, the space will seem narrower and taller. You could drape a throw or beautiful cloth from your travels spilling over the left side of the ledge.

Wainscotting and crown molding at 6" below door height might help.

February 24, 2013 at 11:22PM     
PRO
Design Find
A big mirror and some small chairs on either side of the table would look great (and give people a spot to take shoes on/off, or give yourself a last look before you head out the door!). Something like these photos, but in he color of your choice:
February 24, 2013 at 11:49PM     
mictros
Just noticed that Wayfair.com has a myriad of lighting on sales. Not sure what your budget is. I was trying to match the existing color choice on your wall. Here's an example of what they have and I hope it helps? If price isn't a prevailing factor, check out the Hollywood Glam sale at One Kings Lane. Vintage lighting at reasonable to budget killing prices but what a way to go!!
February 25, 2013 at 9:37AM     
mictros
Vintage and less than $1000 Sales at One Kings Lane are brutal and merchandise moves quickly! 8 out of 10 of what I go for I get but it isn't easy.
February 25, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Lindsey
Mark & Myrns-I wish I could do some remodeling to this space but right now I'm just looking for decor ideas. Surprisingly, the chandelier was placed in the house when it was built in 2004. I am definitely replacing this.

LB interiors-I love the idea of wainscotting, thanks for the suggestion.

Homecheckdallas-your suggestions are exactly my style :)

Right now I'm on the lookout for big, chunky armoires & giant mirrors. Would like to add a rug to the tile area, not overlapping the carpet. Will replace chandelier, too. Thanks for the suggestions!
February 25, 2013 at 10:01AM     
Lindsey
mictros-love the first chandelier! never heard of that website but it looks amazing!
February 25, 2013 at 10:02AM     
PRO
Design Find
Ballard designs has some budget friendly, large mirrors...
February 25, 2013 at 10:09AM   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Many excellent suggestions have been given as far as finishes and furnishings. One problem is the ledge. I think it might be best to eliminate the ledge.
February 25, 2013 at 10:20AM   
mictros
Incredible carving, like no other Armoire around
Late 1800's Oak Armoire from England, brought over to America after WWll.
Top is 95" wide, bottom is 79" wide. Height is 87", depth is 38" at top and 26" at bottom
Very heavily carved by an apprentice to become a journeyman carpenter/carver
Breaks down into 5 pieces for easy moving
Appraised at over $6000.00
Located in Petaluma, CA
PayPal only payment
That's the description. On eBay no less. Auction ending in 4 hours no bids placed start is 3000 buy it now is 3500. Reputable seller it seems. Dream Book? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Armoire-Carving-/181081680789#vi-content
February 25, 2013 at 10:39AM   
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
A large striking painting would look awesome in your entry. I have several just completed and I am right down the road from you in Dallas. Check out my website. www.jul313.com.
February 25, 2013 at 11:22AM     
Ella at Wishack.com
Love the idea of a small seating area set up around your existing console table. Something like this mirror would fit in perfectly with your decor: http://www.wishack.com/Plateau_SL_MIR_Console_Table_p/pla-slmir_%2844_x_20%29_%28b%29.htm

As for the accent chairs, you don't want anything overwhelming. But consider how wide your foyer is. Also, I'd move the table to the other wall because your door opens right-to-left. It'll just help people flow into your home a lot easier without having the table in the way. Some funky floor vases are cute too and with large reeds or faux flowers would add some nice color to this space.
February 25, 2013 at 11:41AM     
mjlb
I'd start with adding trim around the window so that it aligns with, and feels more connected to the door. I'd paint the door a high gloss black. Then I'd add a really large, dynamic light fixture -- whatever suits your style. Beyond that, I would keep it simple -- essentially what others have recommended: large mirror, console or bench, and a few decorative items.
February 25, 2013 at 11:51AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
@mjlb, Love the idea of adding trim around the door (I mean window)! Excellent!
February 25, 2013 at 12:26PM     
PRO
HomeCheckDallas
Hi, Lindsey; here are a couple of links for what I think might be great mirrors for you --
and http://www.allmodern.com/Marquee-Mirror-in-Parma-Silver-2531XX-IY1010.html --
Also, thanks for the kind words! I'll pop back to the discussion if I run across anything else.
February 25, 2013 at 2:26PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
narrow table and upholstered stool is nice . Large artwork will work as well to slow you down on your way in. other wall coould have nice coat hooks for guests. Collage is good but the rule of thumb is either the top or bottom need to be a straight edge if using all different sizes.
February 25, 2013 at 2:36PM   
Keitha
I love Bona Properties suggestion and would replace chandelier too. In addition, consider installing decorative trim to tie the window and door together to make one cohesive beautiful unit. I have attached a picture showing the way the door and window are trimmed out as one unit.
February 25, 2013 at 2:56PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I used the wrong word earlier, I meant the window re:
@mjlb, Love the idea of adding trim around the window! Excellent!
February 25, 2013 at 4:15PM   
Lindsey
This is great, y'all. You've given some fantastic ideas and I have a bigger picture of what I want to do now. I'm considering adding a hall tree to the left side right on the carpet. picture below. framing the window is a good idea although I wouldn't be able to create any new windows so I would need to get creative. Thanks again for the awesome suggestions! keep 'em coming! :)
February 25, 2013 at 4:28PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Here's a drawing of how the window will be framed out to match the width of the door.

February 25, 2013 at 5:27PM     
mjlb
Thanks for the visual (and the compliment), LB!
February 25, 2013 at 5:28PM     
mjlb
Lindsey - If you do the hall tree, I would hang artwork only on the opposite wall. Do you have a need for the hall tree (no entry closet)? Currently the entry looks fairly formal -- would you prefer to make it more casual?
February 25, 2013 at 5:35PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
Another idea to go with adding frame for window ... also add window-like molding at sidelight areas. Widens the entry. You can paint inside a lighter shade of the wall color and add some small vertical rows of art. Or large candle sconces in iron. Is more impressive. Here's another sketch ...
After - Transom Window and Wall Molding
Candle Decoratives Metal Candle Sconce 24"H, 7"W- Feel The Uniqueness Of Candle Decor Mirrored Candle Sconce
February 25, 2013 at 5:36PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
mjib - you're welcome!
February 25, 2013 at 5:38PM   
Keitha
Oops, didn't realize mjlb had already mentioned the moulding...great idea! Lol :-)
February 25, 2013 at 6:07PM   
PRO
LB Interiors
Some ideas, hall tree, mirror and bench in one unit ...

February 25, 2013 at 7:12PM     
PRO
Studio Homes
hmmm....many great comments.....but i dont think i seen anyone suggest a big leafy green plant. I really think it would be awesome at the front corner by the door. Something tall like 6 ft.... and full. It would pull your eye down from the height but without being a huge block or shape that crowds the space. And by being semi see through it would seem less cluttered....as the floor space is actually small.

Combine that with a mirror on opposite wall and it would help a lot.
February 25, 2013 at 7:29PM     
Brenda Fisher
I agree with the comment to take the wall all the way up But I would leave niches for statues or vases and light the niches. Then use the walls for an art gallery, formal lining the wall or informal as a collage. Definitely add more light with new door and sidelights and a taller triangle or arched transom window when you can. Smaller counsel table closer to the door and seating next to the table. I don't think you have the width for a bench next to the door however if you require seating there you can use seating shelves which could fold into a recess in the wall. If backed with a print they will look like art when folded up.
February 25, 2013 at 8:05PM   
Lkristine
I love, the armoire ideas posted above..... Here are some mirror ideas, and yes, scoot the table either all the way on to the carpet, or tile. These ideas are all neutral, and you could add color to your rug you are wanting, and accessories on your table according to taste. These are both large mirrors and would look amazing on your tall walls. This one is transitional.... http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Antiqued_Copper_Mirror/130/ This one is a little more modern, but would still be great with anything. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Greek-Key-Mirror-Mirrors/prod148950053_cat40520732_cat40520731_/??ecid=NMALRJ84DHJLQkR4&CS_003=5630585 I wouldn't place a huge tree anywhere, but a large floor vase with a plant would look great. I would do a white floor vase, fairly tall, and then incorporate the white/off-white in accessories, along with one color you love........placing items on the table, and/or on top of the wall, so to speak, would be beautiful. Floor vase example..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vase-Floor-Wood-Decoration-Furniture-Home-Garden-Office-Floral-Vase-Indoors-/251224421799?pt=Vases&hash=item3a7e2475a7
February 25, 2013 at 8:10PM   
Keitha
Love that 1st mirror Lkristine! It would be stunning against Lindsey's wall color. Very classic!
February 25, 2013 at 8:21PM   
montycal
Shelving on the right upper side, put plants in certain shelves, paintings/ books in others
February 25, 2013 at 8:55PM   
Kelly
would get rid of the ledge - have it dry walled straight up- then you have a perfect rectangle to work with...add some pretty crown molding and nice trim......a killer chandelier...nice foyer rug...you have a good space to play with.
February 27, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Lindsey
Here's an update on the progress so far!! Moved the table to the left side centered in carpet area. Added round mirror, sconces with fleur de lis on both sides. Added round rug and vase/reeds. Phase two add giant picture in right wall and decor on ledge. Phase three is a new chandelier!! What do y'all think? I'm happy with the updates so far!
March 30, 2013 at 9:52AM   
Lindsey
Here's an update on the progress so far!! Moved the table to the left side centered in carpet area. Added round mirror, sconces with fleur de lis on both sides. Added round rug and vase/reeds. Phase two add giant picture in right wall and decor on ledge. Phase three is a new chandelier!! What do y'all think? I'm happy with the updates so far!
March 30, 2013 at 9:55AM     
Susan Jacobs
Much better. If you ever replace the table, or move it elsewhere, get something chunkier, maybe more of a dresser type that has drawers (heft), not long legs. I would move the pretty little crystal piece somewhere else - it's very small and delicate for your space.
March 30, 2013 at 10:04AM     
Lindsey
You're right about the table. one day I'll get something chunky. I keep playing around with decor I already have to fill in the table right now. But it's not hitting the spot for me yet. It needs more color
March 30, 2013 at 10:22AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I like what you've done. I agree the table could be chunkier or have more weight to the arrangement and it could be longer also. However, to make it work inexpensively, you could search for 2 small ottomans and place under the table in a colorful solid color or an interesting print. Use those as color inspiration for art choices on the opposite wall when shopping.

April 4, 2013 at 1:08PM     
Kelly West
I would paint accent color and a saying of some sort in the shelf area "A house is made of walls and beams A home is made of dreams" type of thing and add some greenery topiary's and large cancels...
April 4, 2013 at 3:04PM   
Mariah Perez
Love the carpet... Where did you get it?
April 7, 2013 at 12:16AM   
Lindsey
The finished product! Rug from Garden Ridge.
January 12, 2014 at 10:09AM     
vjs12
Looks very nice Lindsey.
January 12, 2014 at 10:35AM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I like the new table for the arrangement. The balance is so much nicer. That looks great! I would prefer it to be on the opposite wall : ( due to the door swing direction. The eye moves to that wall upon entering. I'm just wondering if the two iron arch placques might balance the entry wall best if they were on each side of the window above the door : )
January 12, 2014 at 2:11PM     
abbyjean
I have to agree with LB on maybe moving those iron arches up to that window. BUT I DO LOVE THE NEW TABLE!
January 12, 2014 at 2:16PM     
Lindsey
Thanks! And thanks for the suggestions. We compared putting the arches around the top window versus the bottom and it just looked more balanced on the bottom. Or at least we thought so. Also thought about switching the table. The wall on the opposite side curves around. Do you t think it would work there? It's also a smaller space. However I am concerned that wall is bare since it is the fist thing you see
January 12, 2014 at 6:44PM     
Lindsey
One more thing-I think placement on the left balances out the whole view from the front door. What do you think?
January 12, 2014 at 6:46PM     
PRO
LB Interiors
I think the arches on bottom wall looks unbalanced with the vase and nothing to gound the right side. They are too skimpy and look like there was nowhere else to put them : ( They seem too small in height for those spaces. Very long narrow pieces would be great. I would not use anything on the sides of the door. The light switch is in the way.

Taking a second look at the table and mirror arrangement .... because the door is in the middle of the entry wall, table set works fine on either wall. I feel you definitely have to find some art or a mural for the blank wall on the other side. That area requires something large, or a group of three artworks, that do not need furniture below them. There is not enough walkway space to add anything else on the floor. The heights of the art should be at least 48" + and hung with the bottoms at about 24-26" from the floor. There is nothing to draw you in. I think you need something very interesting and colorful.
January 12, 2014 at 7:01PM