Where on earth do I start? Family room craziness ....
I would like my large (21'x30') family room to have more of an impact. DH likes rustic, I like a little more modern. It is a true family room - my daughters do crafts, we watch tv here, play games. The wood stove - used daily - puts out a LOT of heat so we can't get too close. So the seating area is facing a built-in stone shelf for the television, and there is a high table behind the sofa so my girls can do a project and watch a movie (or not!), plus I have this large light maple cabinet that stores all the craft supplies. All the different wood tones in here are too much. I don't know where my starting point should be for this room.
1. DH is not a fan of the green (we've had it 6 years). I'm ready to paint - is a warm charcoal too much? I'm really looking for a wow factor. The adjoining spaces - very open - are all a vanilla color.
2. The maple cabinet needs to match/blend more - have thought about staining it to match the coffee table.
3. Should I do a rug in the seating area? Maybe in browns and greys?
4. Window treatment challenge - electric baseboards under the windows so I cannot do panels. How do I handle the windows? I probably wouldn't cover our views but think I should bring in some color here.
5. We originally thought about doing the ceiling in wood, but maybe that's too much wood. Because of that, it's the only room in the house that we didn't scrape the popcorn off of - and why we haven't changed out the brass ceiling fan yet.
6. I've removed the burgundy chair and moved the brown chair and ottoman in its place.