Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room dilemma
kathysavage
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What to do with this wall? Ugly concrete block, fake tree and storage shelving don't work. Ideas for either side of TV would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
I like this eclectic look! I would get a duplicate shelving unit for the left side of the tv and lose the fake plant. The wall color is great and I like your mix of styles. Nice!
February 24, 2013 at 11:13am     
kathysavage
Thanks! I originally wanted to get the two units but was getting talked out of it.
February 24, 2013 at 11:20am   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
May be something like this , without the shelves above TV
February 24, 2013 at 11:23am     
kathysavage
I do like my console. I'm just wondering if the whites would fight each other.
February 24, 2013 at 11:48am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
Can you hang some fabric panels behind your existing shelf to at least create vertical walls of colour or pattern - it will distract the eye. But you need to balance both sides - so either it is more shelving or a huge wall canvas...
February 24, 2013 at 11:52am     
kathysavage
If i do go with the second unit I like that idea of fabric. It would hide the block wall. Any ideas on solid, pattern?
February 24, 2013 at 11:57am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I feel a geometric pattern that doesn't argue too much with your chair could work. I would love to see it incorporate the russets/reds(?) on your chair but also bring in some green - in a jacquard or paisley pattern perhaps...
February 24, 2013 at 12:00pm     
smont3
I agree with the white bookshelf cabinets on both side keep the console it's great style!....fake plant stick on a porch or get rid of it, it's overwhelming.....the metal doesn't go with the cabinet look....use the metal for storage somewhere
February 24, 2013 at 12:01pm   
smont3
LOVE the color walls...my bedroom color
February 24, 2013 at 12:02pm   
smont3
Something like this but on both sides
February 24, 2013 at 12:07pm     
kathysavage
Can you tell me where those white cabinets are from?
February 24, 2013 at 12:10pm   
smont3
Then if the bookshelves seem too high above the tv put an old time decorative scroll shelf above top of tv...lol...sorry started popping up with ideas..on the shelves definitely incorporate your other colors in the rug and chair try to tie the room together with accents and hide any sloppy containers with a lighter tone basket weave
February 24, 2013 at 12:11pm     
kathysavage
What's the height of the book shelves? And I don't know what a decorative scroll is???
February 24, 2013 at 12:15pm   
smont3
Just googled and got this site
Antique white bookcase - TheFind
www.thefind.com/furniture/info-antique-white-bookcase
Antique white bookcase -
February 24, 2013 at 12:16pm   
Darzy
I really don't like the idea of the white bookcase on both sides of the tv. The juxtaposition of the metal with your "vintage" tv console works with your eclectic style. If you want to cover some of the wall, you could attach a foamboard on the back of the shelving unit with some pretty wallpaper on the foamboard for color/pattern and cover some of the block. But, I say embrace the block wall!
February 24, 2013 at 6:55pm     
groveraxle
I love everything about this room except the fake tree and the metal shelves and whatever it is that's propped behind the left side of the TV console. The console is inspired, BTW. It also looks like the tree may be hiding some kind of conduit on the wall?

I would remove everything from that wall except the console and TV, and then hang art on both sides. My inclination would be a photo gallery of mostly black-and-white photos in black frames, different sizes and shapes, with one color photo thrown in the mix.

February 24, 2013 at 7:12pm     
mainstreetschool
Lose the tree! I love the greens in the room. Used same colors for my office, and I love it. Paint the recessed panels on TV stand green the tone of the throw pillows on sofa. This will tone down the stark white. You need more accessories on the shelves. Maybe change out the brown bins for rust or blue to match the chair. How about a panel or bamboo screen on other side of TV to balance the shelves. Nothing too bulky though. Love the room.
February 24, 2013 at 7:14pm     
kathysavage
The bins are actually grey. Hard to tell in the pic. Sounds like I'm going with the matching shelving. I was going for that juxtaposition of the metal and white. I do need to put more on the shelves tho. ( Have no idea how to do that either!) I just couldn't decide whether to keep it or move it. Really want that sense of balance in the room. It would be hard to hang artwork
on concrete block walls?
February 25, 2013 at 2:41pm   
joanbllt
Try Command adhesive picture hooks - found them very useful for odd surfaces - might have to double up if artwork very heavy/
February 25, 2013 at 2:59pm     
Darzy
I like your idea of balance with the metal shelving and will give the room a "traditional eclectic" style. Like your furniture.
February 25, 2013 at 8:27pm     
montycal
1. Move all furniture out
2. Paint brick black
3. Reclaimed wood shelving on either side with faux streetlight lamps centered on the top shelf on either side
4. If in budget, circle cut dark wood Floors, if not, and if your a guy (i don't know any background info) cover flooring with hard black gym type flooring.
5. Replace the tree with either small dark colored cactus (keep subtle and soft spoken, almost hidden) or ironic bonsai trees.

The room should look Detroit-ish with the brick and reclaimed wood, if you can afford it fake brick from lowes ($26 a panel) would be better, painted black as well)

6. Replace couch with round coffee tables and 4 dark leather chairs
February 25, 2013 at 8:52pm   
Darzy
montycal..your ideas sound fantastic if she was starting from scratch! We're just "tweaking" here. But, your ideas are awesome!
February 25, 2013 at 9:40pm     
meatpie
I say remove the tree and add another metal bookcase. Add books, start a collection of something you love, like white Abingdon pottery (photo) might be cool in this room with your style. Stick with one or two colors for those accessories. This blogger has some good basic ideas for bookshelves. http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-accessorize-bookcases.html but I think the white will help bring our your console and pop against your wall color. You can add some dark greenery to the shelves with small topiaries and things to keep that green that the plant gave the space.
Edited to add that the blogger does a good basic job but I like to mix stacked books and horizontal books for a more varied bookshelf.
February 25, 2013 at 9:48pm     
meatpie
I think these bookshelves are pretty well organized and decorated. Love the pops of "natural" plants.
February 25, 2013 at 9:54pm     
kathysavage
I love the pictures placed in between the shelves and the books really add some substance. Thank you for the pics!
February 26, 2013 at 2:35pm   
PRO
A Crew of Two
my two cents....add some texture to the room, rattan baskets on the shelves, wood boxes or figurines etc. just to give some warmth to the room...it's an awesome space
February 26, 2013 at 3:40pm     
kathysavage
I thought about rattan and felt it was a little dated? But I agree with needing texture. Walls and metal are so cold feeling!
February 26, 2013 at 5:37pm   
PRO
A Crew of Two
well I was thinking more like these
February 26, 2013 at 6:11pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the best thing you could do is change the wall. Get out the Spackle and fill in the grooves. Sand it smooth. Repaint. The problem is gone. If you rent , either way don't try to cover it up. Then I would get some clean line modern matching book cases in black with backs in them for both sides of the TV. Or match the one you have. Book cases are designed to hold books and look best with books on them, about 1/3 books mim. to fill them. There are hooks designed for concrete , I would hang a picture or art above the TV. I think the black is a great choice with the green & white.
February 26, 2013 at 6:17pm     
Amy Thompson
Frame in the wall, insulate and sheet rock.
February 26, 2013 at 6:20pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
PS as the pic above shows all white books, hit resale & tag sales and wrap the books all one color for a modern look. It would be easy on the budget too. Often the libraries have free books. You can purchase end rolls of white printing paper for a few bucks from a local printing company. You could also add thin plywood to the backs of the book case you have and paint it out black if you can still get a duplicate one. I love budgets , they make us more creative. Also spray paint cheap vases , pots & plates all white to have a instant collection. Use some a huge leaf in a vase for impact too.
February 27, 2013 at 1:48am     
kathysavage
Art above the tv! I never thought of that. I have a large McKnight 34x32 framed. Tv is 48 x 31. Any thoughts? Not the best quality photo from the iPad.
February 27, 2013 at 2:38am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would try the art for sure. It seems to work with your colors. The frame color and mat blend with the console too. But 1st another idea, You could also try pushing the TV angled a bit in front of the plant and push the plant a bit more into the corner. Then center the bookcase within the rest of the wall space and see how that feels once you have accessorized the book case. Just a thought.
February 27, 2013 at 2:55am     
aimran
the shelving unit isn't that 'pretty' to invest in another, i personally feel, (i don't like it's two very obvious diagonal bracings, lending it a cluttered feeling).

you need fabric scrolls / rugs hung vertically on either side of tv, using curtain rods (black to match tv or white to match console) . fabric colour inspired from your brownish armchair. the cushions & sofas are great.

add long & short pots (all one colour, with only a few in olive/ turquoise) at the bottom of the these scrolls to cover wall & fill corners..

the console is a very different idea. liking it (v. original). I wish you could duplicate it's colour or solidness (not both) in the coffee table & shelving.. as three pieces (shelving unit, tv console, coffee table) do not tie in with each other.

the grey baskets don't belong in this room, virtue of their not matching existing colour palette.

b/w for your various remotes on coffee table as well as on console, get a small table (old metal maybe or white one) dedicated solely for keeping remotes on top..
February 27, 2013 at 3:05am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
FYI Scrolls can refer to the curves of the skirt of a furniture piece or a wood design. Or a tapestry or fabric hung on rods at the top & bottom , Like curtain rods.
February 27, 2013 at 3:12am     
aimran
thank you Kevin. like this, right? http://antiques.about.com/od/furniture/a/ScrollFoot021109.htm

i meant a tapestry..
February 27, 2013 at 3:15am   
aamirkashf
for me...this is too crowded...
February 27, 2013 at 4:14am   
groveraxle
Do NOT place that McKnight over the TV. It will consume all the space and be terribly unbalanced.
February 27, 2013 at 6:11am     
mainstreetschool
What is behind the couch and sofa table? A wall, or open space?
February 27, 2013 at 6:53am   
mainstreetschool
Try putting TV into corner rather than centered on wall. Can you spread the speakers a little more, so they are hidden? Look like electrical boxes on the wall. I would try to put chair in corner where the shelf unit is, with the ottoman. The white TV cabinet is too bright for your softer white leather tone. Can you glaze it to tone it down a bit? Use flat basket on coffee table for remotes, and put baskets, as suggested, on the shelves if you must keep it in the room. Or try the open trunk on a shelf t help fill in space there. Framed picture won't look right above the TV.
Perhaps a green sisal instead of the dark brown.

A lot of suggestions on here.
I would pick out your top 5or 6 ideas on the thread, and see what you put together from them.
February 27, 2013 at 6:59am     
kathysavage
Here is the room with my back to the tv. Pardon the iPad photo!
February 27, 2013 at 1:51pm     
kathysavage
That's my front door. Just to restate...palm tree is going, console is staying. Everything else is on the table! I was hoping to mount speaker sin the shelving and lose the stands as well, but the receiver has to stay by the tv, perhaps on a bottom shelf if I do buy the second unit.
February 27, 2013 at 1:55pm   
Erin
I like the idea of fabric on that back wall. Tapestries make me think of college dorms but actually if you find the right one it could work with your ecletic tropical style. Dark colors too. I like your colors but I'm not feeling the wall color. To me its a little to 'clean' while your furnishings and fabrics have more of an earthy tone. That may be part of the issue. The green walls are just so glaring to me in the photos. I think a green that is more like the pillow centered on you sofa would be more soothing. And I think two shelving units on either side that are dark colored would work.
February 27, 2013 at 2:35pm   
Casey Alexandra
I definitely think covering the concrete up is a good idea! I think you should go with a grassy textured paper like attached ( from Home Depot) If you are in able to cover it up, get a larger, sleeker entertainment console. And I'm begging you- ditch the fake plant!
February 28, 2013 at 1:36pm     
kathysavage
It's going!!!! LOL
February 28, 2013 at 2:09pm   
kathysavage
So I did buy the matching shelving. Palm tree is gone. And switched out the ottoman for a chair I had. Any tips on shelf decorations etc would be appreciated!
April 6, 2013 at 9:14am     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
If you don't mind adding more art to your room, you can display small pieces of canvas art on your shelves. Check out our Houzz page to get some ideas. Our images can be printed in any small sizes, starting from 6" x 6", 6" x 8", etc. Best of luck finishing your project!... Raisa
April 6, 2013 at 9:25am   
aniluap2
Looks amazing, but I think you need to take the 2 seahorses down from the top shelf and find another place for them. I would wrap some books in some bright colored paper, to pick out a color from your accessories like yellow or even just white and put a couple piles horizontally like the inspiration photo. I like to add objects from nature made into focal points, like a birds nest in a cloche, or a beautiful shell or piece of coral or maybe a ammonite on a stand for interest. A nice potted plant that is easy to maintain would look great in the mix.
April 6, 2013 at 9:52am     
kathysavage
If the seahorses go, what should go up there? If anything?
April 6, 2013 at 9:59am   
kathysavage
Here's a pic with them gone.
April 6, 2013 at 10:03am     
brody1313
looking much better, nothing on top shelf or over tv....I like the idea of more white objects, white wrapped books, a few white framed art.....to pull in the white sofa and furniture......I would try the white ottoman in place of the coffee table., does it match your sofa?..........you could do another gray basket and keep the four matching baskets on bottom shelves for odds and ends...............good luck......the white framed art could work somewhere else in your room
April 6, 2013 at 10:20am     
meatpie
add a few frames with photos in them and stacks of books. you need to add some specific color to bth shelves...white or black ceramic, something with weight.
April 6, 2013 at 10:37am   
meatpie
it is better without the seahorses and I think tough for us to suggest without being able to see ceiling and how height there is there. Maybe a woven basket suitcase.
April 6, 2013 at 10:38am     
aniluap2
I don't think you need anything on the top shelf just add some more interest to the shelves below.
April 6, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree that the seahorses would look nice some where else. Try adding some art on shelf's to fill in the wall space some.
April 6, 2013 at 5:50pm   
decoenthusiaste
1/3 books, 1/3 decor and 1/3 open space usually looks pretty good.
April 6, 2013 at 6:59pm     
mainstreetschool
Much better with matching shelves. Try the white ottoman in place of coffee table. Maybe one of the seahorses could go on the sofa table behind the sofa?
April 6, 2013 at 7:20pm     
nancy22032
Amazing how much better without the tree and adding the 2nd bookcase. If you own the house, plan to insulate and sheetrock the wall - your home will be warmer and the look will be much nicer.
April 6, 2013 at 7:27pm   
aimran
The seahorses can be plAced at the foot of the shelves, infront if there is little traffic there. Looks better.. Try the ottomon as table as suggested above..,
April 6, 2013 at 8:22pm   
Brianna Johnson
What about shelving on each side of the TV similar to these...

And then you could put 2 or 3 pieces of framed artwork above the T.V.- perhaps some photography like these for some contrast in color and pattern:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyLittlePlunder?ref=seller_info
April 6, 2013 at 10:32pm     
jccbaker
I'm glad you got another shelf; I think they look great. The seahorses were too tall on that top shelf. Maybe a couple of 8x10 framed family pictures would work. Since you're just trying to fill up space on the shelves and you've got eclectic taste, go to yard sales or estate sales or antique/junk shops and just buy some different things that appeal to you. Don't worry particularly about color or shape, just some things that make you happy when you look at them. Put the seahorses back-to-back in the middle of your dining table. I like the color of the walls. Our first apartment was cinderblock, painted pink on the outside and yellow on the inside. It was nice and cool in the summer (no air conditioner) but sure was cold in the winter. If you want to hang pictures, hang them from long wires/ribbons from the crown molding (think 1800s high-ceilinged rooms). I like the look you've got going now.
April 6, 2013 at 11:05pm     
Darzy
Are the seahorses too tall for the coffee table?
April 7, 2013 at 12:39am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
That's a good idea Darzy, I love the seahorses in the room used someplace close together. I think some wicker/rattan baskets & faux plants on the top shelf would be best. A globe would be nice & books too.
April 7, 2013 at 2:12am     
kathysavage
Here's a pic of my ceiling. 10' I think. I just put the sea horses on the table. I do like them there and at the foot of the shelving too. We live in FL so temps are not an issue when it comes to heat! I just don't know how much is too much on the shelves. Don't want it to look chochky (sp?).
April 7, 2013 at 5:51am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the Seahorses look good on the dining room table.
April 7, 2013 at 7:57am     
patriciarhall
loosen up the items on the shelves by angling a few rather than have them all squared up. you definitely have a tropical feel going on and a big glass container with seashells would be a pretty addition to your shelves. and i love those small mirrors with seashell frames. just don't use anything too small. great job on the second shelf unit!
April 7, 2013 at 8:11am     
aimran
Look fabulous on the dining table!
April 7, 2013 at 8:17am     
aimran
You need Large shells one two may add to your theme.. Medium sized items.. Not those that would clutter.. Orbe too big for your shelf height.. Your blue items are nice.. Infact rather than clayey items, you need blue white pottery styled items.. You could also use coloured glass pieces.. Those with Some interest as in texture, multi coloured etc.. Not just plain.. One two only..
Also i think your yellow items are not going with everything else in your room. Removing those might help.. As you have nice stuff..

Even better than glass pieces, would be solid green n blue porcelain shapely vases.. medium size.. That would be the best worthwhile addition, alongwith large seashell.. One two wood items would be nice.. Maybe the photo frames be wooden?
April 7, 2013 at 8:28am     
patriciarhall
agree on removing the yellow items. It looks like the shelf areas have enough natgural light to support living plants that have a low light requirement. Don't add too much, but a bit of natural plant would be good. Are you in an area where airplants are popular?
April 7, 2013 at 8:36am   
aimran
Good idea. how about blue hydrangea?
April 7, 2013 at 8:51am   
aimran
Add varied heights, thicknesses of white candles plain sort.. In a clump on one shelf.. Add one dark blue stowaway of a candle to these..

You just need solid blues, greens, whites..
April 7, 2013 at 9:02am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Try adding the potted floral from the dining room on one shelf.
April 7, 2013 at 9:06am   
patriciarhall
The potted florals may not work with the tropical vibe you have going on. stick to one theme and take care with the mix of colors.
April 7, 2013 at 9:14am     
aimran
Plus things should be arranged in twos n threes.. Even fours.. I mostly see twos in yours.. Position them on sides or with centered item too.. Grouping is another thing to do in one specific position on one shelf..
April 7, 2013 at 9:18am   
aniluap2
I would pick either blue or yellow as my decorative accent. Three colors is enough, green, white/silver + another color. With the walls being bright you need to edit so it doesn't look "chotchkyish " . Those hydrangeas will not preform well on the shelves, they are better suited to a bright windowsill and they are seasonal blooms. A better pick would be a beautiful fern or some other tropical .
April 7, 2013 at 9:24am     
patriciarhall
Love the dark blue on your sofa pillow that looks like it is repeated on your shelves. Also love the tourquoise frame (if my monitor is correct) and the bits of white and silver on your shelves. The wicker or rattan also looks good with those pieces. A couple of plants would be nice, but not floral. Try succulents, bromeliads, maidenhair fern or even grass. Rich green plants will look good against the wall.
April 7, 2013 at 10:16am   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Dried hydrangeas would be nice to use. Or a Faux Boston fern. The shelf's do need some natural things. I feel candles should be able to be lighted , so not on a shelf except maybe a small votive which only looks nice when lighted generally.
April 7, 2013 at 10:44am     
patriciarhall
look again at meatpie's photo post. excellent!
April 7, 2013 at 11:16am     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree meatpie's would look great. Love the paper wrapped books & the large leafs in a vase, Also the grasses. The leafs & grasses can be found at Pier One Imports.
April 7, 2013 at 11:21am     
aimran
how about one framed butterfly specimen?
April 8, 2013 at 3:54am   
aniluap2
Since you are in Florida draw from nature for your decorative inspiration. Yo can use sculptural pieces of coral, large nautilus shells paired with some large leaved tropical plants and a few paper wrapped books with a few of your blue or yellow porcelain pieces, and maybe a line drawing propped on a shelve and you're done.
April 8, 2013 at 7:02am     
kathysavage
Thank you everyone! Great support for the confused pseudo designer. Ha! !Had these shells. Hubby is going to clean up the wires with cord mate and I'll look for some greenery. Some kind of matching bins/baskets for the bottom shelves too? Or is different ok.
April 8, 2013 at 3:36pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Looks nice, mix your baskets in color & shapes& sizes for more interest
April 8, 2013 at 7:38pm     
latifeh
It's suppose to be different way to go
April 8, 2013 at 8:11pm     
aimran
You need to have baskets in diff forms as kevin suggested than the ones you had in dilemma pic.. Just reminding. :) we don't want to go back to the old again.
Idea is they should add warmth n interest..
Looks nice already by the way, do swap frame position with blue piece next to it.. As there shouldnt be a blue above blue.. Eyes should travel in a diagonal rather than in a stacked, linear way in arrangements of threes..
April 9, 2013 at 7:42am     
aniluap2
I don't think there is a problem with putting similar rough looking seagrass type baskets for storage on the bottom shelf similar to the original but more textured. I think it looks good but I do think the blues clash, I would remove the turquoise frame, but other thn that I think a little greenery will finish it off. It already looks soooo much more pulled together. Good job finding the shells ... We forget what we have stashed away.
April 9, 2013 at 1:06pm     
kathysavage
@anumaura so interesting about color over color and the diagonal eye travel. Never knew. Changed up some more with stuff around here. Looking for baskets but not an easy task.
April 9, 2013 at 3:09pm     
aimran
Kathysavage, it isn't a rule.. just a feel.. but your racks look great! is that dark chocolaty brown a throw on that brown basket/case? you can try removing that dark brown material. it should look totally complete after that..

do try your lovely ottomon as center table..
April 9, 2013 at 9:25pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
The most important rule in decor is nearly all of them can be broken. Your shelf's look great
April 10, 2013 at 1:16am     
aniluap2
Kathy good job! It's looks cohesive. By the way, I agree with Kevin
April 10, 2013 at 7:40am   
kathysavage
Any thoughts on these boxes?
April 14, 2013 at 1:12pm   
patriciarhall
the boxes are a great addition. try the fish duo from th top left shelf to the lower right shelf (inside) to balance out the technical box on the right. and bring back the small rounded top "case" you had on the right bottom at one time and put it in place of the fish duo from the top right shelf. of course, looking at a picture instead of you seeing it in person is different! the look overall is great and you have been generous to let us see it develop.
April 14, 2013 at 1:41pm   
meatpie
I just like that you are watching the Masters!! I would add more books. Stacked vertically and horizontally. Looks wonderful!!
April 14, 2013 at 2:22pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the boxes add a some visual weight to the book cases. I would turn them in different directions just to keep it less matchy. But that's just my feeling. lol
April 14, 2013 at 2:25pm     
kathysavage
I tried the fish but it's just a hair too tight to fit in that bottom shelf! I think it would have looked great. I have to go on the hunt for some books, but it'll have to be after the Masters! Lol!
April 14, 2013 at 2:29pm   
kathysavage
Kevin I turned the top box on the left so it's perpendicular. Looks much better. Is this what you mean?
April 14, 2013 at 2:31pm     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Yes perfect !
April 14, 2013 at 2:41pm