Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help - looking for contemporary closet bi-fold doors
caleycat
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have 4 closets I need to replace the current metal, bi-fold doors. My bedroom , my office, linen and pantry. I originally wanted sliding doors but due to the closet organizers I have installed, this won't work. I am now back to bi-folds but I don't like metal, wood or any of the Pinecraftwood doors.

Does anyone have ideas for a more contemporary look with bi-folds? My contractor may have install "pocket" doors. - expensive but I really don't like the typical wooden doors that bi-folds come with.

Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
What is it about these doors you don't like?
The louvre door?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 11:55AM
libunium
There are so many choices on the web you will have a hard time picking. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Do an image search to get ideas. You could also do an outside hang for sliding doors if you have the room.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 11:59AM
rinqreation
A friend of mine had a closet with pocketfold doors; plain, straight, white.
She got bored of the and glued posters to them, cut them through at the seams and enjoyed her customized pocket folds.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:03PM
PRO
Dytecture
3 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:05PM
PRO
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:09PM
caleycat
Lots of great ideas and photos to look through. Thank you! Denver just got almost 2 feet of snow. I cant go anywhere! HA! My current closet bi-folds are metal. I don't like them and one is broken. I am doing a remodel of my townhome. These closet doors have given me sleepless nights.

I would LOVE to have the barn doors but I wound up putting drawers in the middle of the closet when the organizers were installed. That is why I can't use the sliders. I wouldn't be able to get to the drawers.

I wish someone who has experience would just come to my house, measure and tell me what my options are instead of me plowing through options, picking one only to find out I can't have it. I am doing this remodel on my own. I have a contractor that is doing the painting, floors, tile and bath facelift. I might ask him.

I love those large bi-fold doors. I don't think I have the room in my office but I would in my bedroom.

thanks for these great ideas on this Colorado snowy morning!
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 12:17PM
Lizabeth
I think you might be able to do a triple track with three doors instead of two. That way you can still open your drawers in the center. You can install three solid slab doors in any style that brings you joy and in fact three often look better than two.

Or can you knock out that center post on the wal with the double closets and do the three door solution there?

I lust for barn doors.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:26PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I believe Dytecture meant solid panel bifold doors as shown, but in whatever size that fits your space. I think this is also the best idea for your space.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:32PM
caleycat
I do think that I will wind up with what Dytecture is showing here. You are right- it's simple and clean and most likely , will fit my budget. I am pricing vanities for my bathroom and yikes! So, if I can save some money on the closet doors, that would be great.

I don't want to do Home Depot or Lowes doors. I will continue to search around on this site. It's great! Such great ideas!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Check out Ikea for vanities..http://www.houzz.com/Bathroom-vanity-from-Ikea.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 12:49PM
cherc
Caleycat! I'm just north of you loving the snow too. Thanks for posting this, I've got the same metal bifolds in my house and really want to replace them. Great ideas =)
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 1:00PM
cani
I was just recently looking for bifold doors online and saw some that had opaque glass in the center. I loved the modern look to them.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:12PM
caleycat
Cherc- maybe it's a Colorado thing! Metal bi-fold doors! HA! Yes, what a lovely way to spend time while snowed in. Stay Warm!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 1:14PM
caleycat
Cani- Where did you find those bifold doors that had opaque glass in the center? I've looked at Feather River and Pinecraft
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:23PM
cani
I'll have to do a search again. I'll post when I find them.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:04PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Sorry, but you misunderstand the barn door idea. The barn door and track sit on the outside of the wall and clear the closet entirely. The track continues the width of the door(s) onto the adjacent wall. A double track door allows the two doors to rest stacked when all open. Doors are oversized so that they give total coverage when all closed.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:14PM
cani
I could not find whatever it was I saw before. I looked at the ones at Lowes and Home Depot and they have some sort of little panes etched in the glass.

You can get glass put in these as an option
http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/productLine.do?groupId=0&productTypeId=1&lineId=14

This one is interesting. No idea of the cost. Scroll further down the page for the bifold doors http://executivemirror.com/Designer_Series/Sliding_Doors_Bypass_Bifold_Door_By_Executive.htm

I also saw some sliding ones but instead of it being just two pieces, it was three pieces and maybe you could check on that if the middle would be clear.

There are plenty of mirrored bi fold out there if you can't find anything else.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:21PM
caleycat
Cani- thank you so much. All I can say is "Wow" yes, there are options! Thank you all for such a great thread filled with suggestions and ideas! I have lots to go through :-)
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:43PM
ddrc
french doors is nice with the glass frosted. i like the picture of the sliders from houzz that looks frosted.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:05PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
simple frame with glass or mirror can add some sparkle in a room
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:23PM
caleycat
Yes, it's so easy for me to fall in love with the $1,000.00 doors that are sooo beautiful, filled with etched glass and color. But, I am tending to agree with some of the comments here- Simple frame - glass or not. Keep it simple. I can always add color in a variety of ways. I am afraid that if I go for doors that BEG - SEE ME FIRST when you walk in the room, I think I am going to have to figure out what my options are and then, what my budget can afford.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:28PM
Lili Rocha
For a contemporary look I would suggest any glossy material with a color to match. Have a look at Ikea to get some modern ideas. They have only as slidding doors but can be a good ideas.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 10:32PM
PRO
HomeStory Easy Door Installation
Here are some ideas
0 Likes   February 21, 2014 at 2:39PM