powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help in deciding window dressing and something unique above the fireplace ... Want warmth and character..
cater8
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Walls are Amherst gray-benjamin moore, furniture is grey/white, stone, darker wood, was thinking reds, as an accent? Not bright red, ??? Stumped!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Judit
My daughter says that she would love to see a bold pink, violet or red art above the fireplace and would pick the same colours for the curtains (she is 14)
February 24, 2013 at 2:04pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Here is a contemporary yet classy example.

February 24, 2013 at 2:30pm     
PRO
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
Maybe some drapes with a geometric pattern on a white background? You could take whatever color is in the curtains and add it as an accent. I think the room is starting to feel really heavy with the dark colors and the stone fireplace. You could put almost anything above the mantel. A round mirror might be nice.
February 24, 2013 at 2:39pm     
semihugger1
I would consider either bamboo shades or a cream linen drape. Not sure why your not considering red as it seems the natural pop of color here.
February 24, 2013 at 2:46pm   
Jennifer Walters
Adding a tall, leaning, wood-framed mirror in a hue similar to your mantel would look great and reflect the light as well. To add interest, you could apply a few pieces of ironwork (I think some use small suction cups) to the front of the mirror. Or, remove the mirror and hang a tall piece of ironwork. On one side of the mirror, you could place a tall and short candlestick or vase with coordinating grass or florals. Or, you could paint the section above the fireplace a lighter shade of the room (or a light blue) and hang four coordinating prints in a rectangular shape. Prints could be framed in a metallic frame--copper, gold, pewter, silver--whatever you have in the room already. Maybe a short vase below? Good luck!
February 24, 2013 at 3:06pm     
Jennifer Walters
I like Gail's drapery suggestion! We're doing the same in our home!
February 24, 2013 at 3:08pm     
PRO
Interiors Unleashed
Notice in Dytecture posted, the large art piece. The glass on the piece bounces some light into the space and the white mat of the piece really lightens up the entire room. A mirror will bounce some light and put some shine above the fireplace, but an art piece can make a statement, reflect your personal style and tastes as well as bounce light and lighten up the space.

If you like patterns, the suggestions above are good ones. If you want to keep a soft serene look, try soft serene curtains that don't make a statement, like the ones in the photo from Dytecture. A color from your wood around the fireplace or counter only softer and with a bit of shimmer, only a bit.
last Friday at 3:26pm