Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help needed! help decorating newly painted room
cmcole1121
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just painted living room BM Edgecomb Gray and purchased new gray houndstooth fabric sofa, black leather chairs, and glass metal tables. Need help with accent colors and how to decorate rest of space. Room is narrow but long and doesn't get a lot of light (no overheads) so lamps are critical. Any suggestions for rugs, large round mirrors for over FP, lamps, windows, pillows? I'm partial to blue accents but am open to others! Help - I need some direction :-). All other furniture/ items in room are temporary and will go (bookcase, lamps). Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cmcole1121
Thank you Susan - I appreciate your thoughts & advice. This site is so great as I never would have thought of many of the things I'm considering without it!
March 8, 2013 at 4:58AM     
cmcole1121
that artwork is really not my style - thanks though.
March 8, 2013 at 12:01PM     
cmcole1121
hi all - Regarding art for over sofa - what do you think about the 2 paintings attached. Bluenan thanks for suggestion of the 2nd one. If anyone has other suggestions of similiar types of paintings. Also, how big should the painting (with frame) be for over sofa - sofa is 86 inches long.

Also ? about round mirror over FP - how big should it be (what's too small). My mantle is 78 in long.

After much deliberation i think i am going to stick with my initial gut feeling and go with the first rug i posted (lighter blue). i appreciate everyone's comments either pro or con - hope it's the right decision :-).
March 8, 2013 at 7:04PM     
cmcole1121
LOVE this painting - unfortunately it is way too tall and way too expensive for me. any ideas of where i could find similar? what are thoughts on pics posted in previous post.
March 8, 2013 at 8:05PM     
anthip
Love that. Where's it from?
March 8, 2013 at 8:41PM   
cmcole1121
The last one is sold on Horchow - beautiful! What are thoughts on the 2 posted before?
March 8, 2013 at 8:43PM   
shortped
March 8, 2013 at 9:03PM     
cmcole1121
Pretty but I am not looking for wallpaper - just painted room. I'm looking for thoughts on artwork and advice in size of pieces (per earlier message)
March 9, 2013 at 5:33AM   
azelizabeth
Your room is lovely. I also would like a source for art similar to the one from horchow?
March 9, 2013 at 5:40AM   
bluenan
I like the first painting you posted, the textural quality is really interesting. Sometimes, as in the painting from Wisteria, it's not necessary to frame a painting if you like that look. What are the dimensions of the first painting? Btw, I do like your first rug choice the best...
March 9, 2013 at 6:28AM   
shortped
Thought this looked interesting because there is actual sand and pebbles added to surface.
March 9, 2013 at 6:37AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks bluenan - the 1st print is 40 x 40 so I think it would definitely need a frame if I was to use it over sofa that is 86 inches long. Do u agree, think it is big enough?
I do like it - it's from Ballard.
March 9, 2013 at 6:40AM   
Shobha Bhushan
Floral arrangement on thefire place mantel adds a little zing to a room ,any art work whichis light and you feel is valuable will work with the decor.
March 9, 2013 at 6:46AM   
bluenan
I would recommend you buy some inexpensive craft paper and make two templates, one for each painting, and tape them up over the sofa with gentle painter's tape, stand back and see. A few thoughts... the Wisteria painting is an actual oil painting, where the Ballard piece is printed on paper, fused to canvas and treated to look like brush strokes of a painting. It would also need a wider (expensive) frame. For the same price you can get an actual oil painting from Wisteria, but that piece is 48" tall so you'd have to make sure it fits well vertically. If you wanted to frame it, because of the size, a narrow frame like the Horchow painting would work best. Decisions, decisions!
March 9, 2013 at 7:18AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks bluenan - I will definitely follow your suggestion about outlining on wall to see. Good points about the two prints - I will see and let u know where I net out. What are your thoughts on size of mirror over FP. Round Mirror I'm leaning towards is 34 in diameter. Is that too small for 78 inch mantle or ok?
March 9, 2013 at 11:25AM   
Kelly
https://www.jossandmain.com/Feizy-Saphir-Rug~FZ1610~E3716.html
I found this rug today and thought of your room.
March 9, 2013 at 11:33AM   
cmcole1121
Thanks Kelly - although I can't tell which rug you were referring to? Wild u mind telling me the name or attaching the photo?
March 9, 2013 at 4:45PM   
bluenan
I think the proportions of the mirror to the mantle are good. If it was much bigger it might crowd the ceiling and it will give you room on the mantle to add tall things on each side. I have a round mirror over my fireplace with 19.5" on either side and I like it. Here are a few pics of fireplaces with round mirrors in a variety of proportions. Some of these ceilings are higher and that factors in to the size of the mirror. I don't think I explained it very well, but to test painting sizes I'd make a paper square and a paper rectangle of the two different sized paintings and then use a little painter's tape on each corner to hold the paper to the wall, the less tape the better.
Shirry Dolgin
Brookwood Hills 2
Fair Winds
Eclectic Living Room
March 9, 2013 at 5:57PM     
bluenan
If anyone has a different opinion on the mirror size, please express it!
March 9, 2013 at 6:03PM   
cmcole1121
Very helpful! Thanks so much! I love that u found a photo with the mirror I want over a FP! Sealed the deal for me :-).
March 9, 2013 at 8:35PM   
anthip
Thanks. Pretty pricey on Horchow... Lovely piece though.
March 9, 2013 at 10:03PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Checked back in to see how your room is coming along.

I noticed you said you had issues with the size of your print.
March 9, 2013 at 10:43PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Those are a few options that I think would make a great statement above your couch. I noticed you are leaning to minimalist work.

The print up to 84 inches.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/5-water-angelina-vick.html

Great choice on the mirror! =D
March 9, 2013 at 10:44PM   
cmcole1121
yay - i ordered a mirror and rug! lamps should arrive tomorrow! just need to finalize artwork, sofa pillows and bookcase and i will take a break for a bit :-). i'll post pics when i have some changes to the room!
March 10, 2013 at 9:07PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Awesome...=)

I think the mirror is going to be really fitting for you space. Which rug did you end up picking?

I was looking at the idea of adding a frame to the piece of art you have, maybe a dark wood thick frame would fill out the space well. The art shouldn't be the length of the couch. But...I still think a rectangular piece would suit the wall better than a square.
March 10, 2013 at 9:16PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I know a lot of great artists. Do you know what kind of art you imagine in the space? I could offer some ideas for you.

It seems like you are leaning to minimalist...and maybe the sea?
March 10, 2013 at 9:20PM   
Shobha Bhushan
The art work you have already will work,just tie it all up and relax,we shall see the pics and then go on
March 11, 2013 at 4:13AM     
cmcole1121
I agree - I think I'm good with artwork just need to see which works best in my space.
March 11, 2013 at 4:47AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Sorry...the thread is long...which pieces do you already have?

I thought you had said it was too small.
March 11, 2013 at 8:48AM   
cmcole1121
Angelina - I am currently considering 2 different pieces. I appreciate you trying to help and your work is beautiful, just not what I'm looking for.
March 11, 2013 at 8:54AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I understand. No problem...I thought you were still trying to pick a piece but I didn't know you had narrowed it down.

I take it that you don't want help with that decision then? Choose the one you love! =D
March 11, 2013 at 10:27AM   
cjohnston
Have you looked at overstock.com for artwork? You can get some nice pieces between $100 and $200. You might try searching artists Kim Coulter and Caroline Gold, who seem to have the style you're drawn to. I like bluenan's idea of cutting out paper in the size of the art to see if it's right for over your sofa.
March 11, 2013 at 4:43PM     
ecci
Would you like to implement your creativity by using handcrafted natural wall panels for your home?
Look here for the endless possibilities, and please leave your feedback: http://eccidesign.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=messages5
March 11, 2013 at 4:55PM   
cmcole1121
My new lamps arrived today. I took a picture and am wondering what people think? The lighting isn't great in pic but u should be able to get an idea (this is at night with limited lighting).
I def want to replace the shades because there is a pattern & when lights are on I don't like how it looks (pic attached). What are thoughts on lamps, shade shape, etc?

As for artwork I am definitely going to put paper up on wall to see what sizes work best before finalizing.
March 11, 2013 at 5:11PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
I like the shape of the lamps...it's a nice compliment to the rounded end tables. The shades will be a great opportunity to add another texture to the space.
March 11, 2013 at 5:33PM     
cmcole1121
Any suggestions for large replacement lamp drum shades to complement my space? They really need to be light enough though to light the room (need lamps for functionality as well as decor). See previous post for pics of lamps and space (rug is light gray/blue). I really don't like these.
March 11, 2013 at 6:14PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I'm looking around...some look pretty, but if it has any pattern at all, then who knows what the light will look like coming through it?

I am going to post a few links for you to check out, but if it were me...I think I would go check them out in person, especially if I was particular about how well they light the room.
http://www.lampsusa.com/drum-LampShades.aspx
http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/lighting/shades-accessories/lamp-shades/
http://www.target.com/c/lamp-shades-bases-lamps-lighting-home-decor/-/N-5xttk
March 11, 2013 at 10:23PM   
Shobha Bhushan
You can combine two kinds of pillows,one is grey rectangle with dots square ,on the other end the ikat type and rectangular navy floral one will surely work,try to visualize and you will see my point
March 12, 2013 at 12:00AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Christine I have been following this for awhile and love all the choices you made and love seeing your pictures! I also understand how frustrating it is waiting on things to arrive to finish your space!
March 12, 2013 at 12:14AM     
Shobha Bhushan
Patience is a virtue my friend just trust yourself and the direction of decor ,I have been giving advice on alot to my friends and they are happy with the results.Just remember to take one day at a time
March 12, 2013 at 12:17AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
lamps plus and restoration hardware usually have a nice selection of shades. I would go with a solid color since you are planning pattern on the pillows and you dont want it to be competing with the painting that you chose.
In regards to the mirror size do the same thing you are doing with the paintings and make a template and see how it looks. If too small try using it off center and then maybe prop a smaller painting to one side and then a cool tall vase, or sculpture to the side on teh mantle for a layered but fun collage application. This will give the room some depth and still keep the clean vibe of the room.
March 12, 2013 at 2:58AM     
tatjanaoh
some ideas
March 12, 2013 at 3:03AM     
tatjanaoh
more fotos
March 12, 2013 at 3:06AM     
tatjanaoh
March 12, 2013 at 3:09AM   
tatjanaoh
some ideas white-blue-black
March 12, 2013 at 3:14AM     
tatjanaoh
March 12, 2013 at 3:18AM   
Shobha Bhushan
I think you can choose navy blue plain tray and a area rug just a size bigger than your central tableI would choose a set of turquioe blue plates ,mug and cup as accesories to give it a complete look.
The curtains inetsy.com listing is pretty but the price is steep.I suggest you try in Macy,bed bath or other stores ,cost plus improrts have some good fabrics
March 12, 2013 at 5:17AM   
bluenan
Hi There,
It's probably best to buy lampshades locally so you can really see exactly what you're getting. Take a lamp along with you so you can try a new shade on in the store. Look for paper or a tight weave linen-look shade in either a straight or tapered drum. Good luck...
March 12, 2013 at 6:25AM     
cmcole1121
Lpmenache and bluenan - do you like the lamp itself if i replace the shade (probably a solid white drum shade)? i do like the shape and the color - are they the right size, proportion? i am having a hard time telling if i like since the rest of my items still need to be delivered/finalized.

i am thankful for the advice about the lamp shades and every thing else :-).

Shobha & Tatjanaoh - i have already decided on a rug but appreciate the advice and like a lot of your suggestions. Angelina - thanks for lamp shade thoughts.
March 12, 2013 at 7:44AM   
bluenan
I like the lamps, definitely large enough, but I agree a different shade would work better. Try putting the paper cutouts of the art work up over the sofa, it will allow you to visualize the final product. I think the blank wall is throwing you off. Also remember when you get the pillows on the sofa that will add weight and help to balance the size of the lamps. Sometimes I think a large straight sided drum shade can look top heavy, try a tapered shade and see how you like that.
March 12, 2013 at 8:16AM     
kellychristine7
I would go with teal accents. Just enough without over doing it. I would keep the wall color and a add a teal rug such as one from PBteen also add small little teal things that you can find at pier 1 or home goods. For pillows pier 1 has a great selection. It looks good so far just keep on adding the details.
March 12, 2013 at 8:28AM   
cjohnston
The lamps are fantastic and the perfect size for your space, but I can see why you want to replace the shades. I think a tapered shade would work, as suggested by bluenan. Are you still deciding on a bookcase? Although I like the Ballard bookcase posted earlier, I think another solid black piece takes the room towards matchy. Consider something that incorporates the lighter tones in the rug and your flooring.
Durham Tall Bookcase Blake Grey Wash 2-Door Cabinet | Crate&Barrel Clarendon Bookcase
March 12, 2013 at 12:56PM     
cmcole1121
I haven't purchased a bookcase yet (trying to pace myself. :->). I appreciate the comments about becoming too matchy and I agree I don't want that (although I do love that piece). i like the 1st & 3rd pics cjohnston posted. I think 1st is Ballard but where is the 3rd piece from?
Although I'm remembering back that someone had prev told me I should add a black piece in order to tie in the chairs (right now chairs are the only black). Thoughts? What if I did black bookcase and then a console or cabinet in the lighter color?

As for lamps thanks for the feedback & advice - I will definitely see how tapered looks and head to store to look at shades. Im headed out of town for a few days but will work on that and the artwork mock up when I get back this weekend.
Thanks again - this site is so great and has helped me so much!
March 12, 2013 at 1:36PM   
cjohnston
The 3rd piece is Horchow...there should be a link under the photo that brings up the info - let me know if it isn't there. Personally, I like the 1st piece (or similar) for the bookshelf and then a lighter console or cabinet. The 1st piece takes the guess work out of mixing finishes since it combines a dark frame with lighter wood shelves. I think the black chairs already tie in with the rest of the room, since the legs on sofa, frames on end/coffee tables, fireplace and hearth are all black. You could also go with black frames on art, black curtain rods, etc.
March 12, 2013 at 2:02PM     
Shobha Bhushan
Unless your budget is high I suggest you dont paint ,be willing to try and merge as suggested.For the lamp shade one with light blue dash prints as seen ina earlier photo will work well.Guess you are confused.Just pay heed to my other comments and do send a pic.You will see the results quick
March 12, 2013 at 7:56PM   
cmcole1121
Cjohnston - good points about the black in room. Very helpful! I like those from Ballard but I don't think it had good reviews. I'll take a look again. Thanks again!
March 12, 2013 at 7:59PM   
cmcole1121
Shobha - I'm really not sure what you mean. I am not confused, just asking for advice on decorating a room from scratch. I already painted the room & am not considering repainting. Since posting this I have made some decisions (as outlined in this lengthy post). I appreciate all input but something's have already been decided (based on very helpful feedback from site). Hope this better explains - if you are interested you can read through the posts to see where I am currently.
March 12, 2013 at 8:06PM     
cmcole1121
Cjohnston - looked @ shelves again and I was wrong about reviews. Funny thing - I had initially been looking at this set for coffee table but decided to go with the glass. I'll show my husband - I have a Ballard coupon do would love to be able to use :-).
March 12, 2013 at 9:28PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
I look forward to seeing how it comes together. =)
March 13, 2013 at 12:12AM     
PRO
I do like your lamps very much. Love the lucite base. The drum shade is more "au curant" while the tapered will be more classical. The tapered will give you a lighter feeling because it is less voluminous than the drum. If the shade store is local I would buy one of each and try them. Dont do this till painting is up and pillows in if you can stand to live with shades for a little while. It will make a difference. What is next on the agenda?
March 13, 2013 at 1:53AM     
Shobha Bhushan
I meant that the colrs you have painted the walls are fine,may be some communication gap,I understand your dilemma about a few things ,my friend you are going along well,my suggestion was in reference to the lamp shade.
Actually at times I think we feel a bit overwhelmed when a lot of suggestions come pouring ,So I thought you should not get confuse yourself,that is all.I am following the post and can see your progress.
AS a few are done if you post pics it will help us
March 13, 2013 at 3:07AM   
pattiegoode
You have a gorgeous room & very classy furniture! I just read your discussion today and you have already made many of your decisions. However, here's my two cents worth:
I'd like to see a bit of black in your rug (to unite your other pieces). I agree with a previous post that you have a lot of legs showing and new pieces should go all the way to the floor. This includes whatever book shelf you purchase. I'm not sure what you plan to do in this room. Read? Entertain? Snuggle by the fire? This should inform other decisions. Maybe you'd like a game table or a bar area. It looks like there is room for a table to the left of the FP in front of the window. This could be either natural wood, antiqued paint, or skirted. This will give you another place to add in some of the ikat fabric you like. Even if you don't hang your inspiration print over the FP, I hope it can find a home on the mantel. Otherwise, it could hang on the wall near the table area I mentioned. I personally like a white on white sheer w/ a design and solid colored panels on either side of windows. I'll try to find a pic. A bar area is another opportunity to add shiny reflective surfaces like glass & metal. Have you considered painting your own piece using the blue-washed artwork you like? Or stretching a piece of ikat fabric? ;)
March 13, 2013 at 3:36AM     
cjohnston
That's awesome that you had already looked at that Ballard set. I'm glad the reviews were good. Hope your husband likes it too. Plus, gotta love those coupons! Let us know what you decide (which you're really good at...and makes this process a lot of fun!).
March 13, 2013 at 3:07PM     
cmcole1121
Will do! Thanks! I'm traveling but my husband just told me my rug arrived today :-). When I get home ill share updated pics.

I guess next will be finalizing which art to hang over the sofa (once I put mock ups up), sofa pillows then start discussing curtains and what to do with other space in the room. I've gotten a lot of really great ideas so far about shelves, cabinets, consoles and once I'm able to focus on that I will hopefully be able to make some decisions :-).

Should I start a new topic to ask about curtains and other furniture ideas or just keep this long one going?? Thoughts?
March 13, 2013 at 6:32PM   
PRO
Keep the same thread otherwise you will get lots of suggestions on things that have been decided moreso than if you kept the same thread. cant wait to see the pictures with the rug.
March 13, 2013 at 7:11PM     
zindor
Christinemcole, are you still trying to decide on artwork? I saw the post about the price concern and had an interesting idea. If you have a local college in your area, there may be a campus gallery featuring the work of art students. Usually, the prices are lower than you would expect for comparable art in a gallery. It might be worth a look, if you have the time. Last year, I purchased an amazing painted canvas at my local university, which is why I thought of this option. Also, you would own something that is one of a kind, as opposed to a mass-market piece, at it might even cost much less. If you've already made your selections, just ignore this!
March 13, 2013 at 7:29PM     
cmcole1121
Once again great advice! Yes I am still deciding on art. Have a few I like but I just need to see how the size works with sofa/space. However it is a great idea to check out student work! I will definitely keep in mind. Ill post once I have the sized paper up on wall to ask advice :-).
March 13, 2013 at 7:50PM   
pattiegoode
I would never choose artwork based on just the size I want or that I feel meets someone's idea of a rule. Only buy things you love, love, love! And if you love something & want it in the room, there must be a way to make that work! I'm saying don't obsess over the size of the wall hanging, please. Just be patient and gather other items til you see the piece that speaks to you and you will "just know" that it will work over your sofa. You can check out this website for more info on what to hang on your wall: http://decodingdecor.com/?p=841

I'm posting because I was searching for something else today & saw this table that made me think of your room! Hope you like it: http://www.iometro.com/furniture/dining-room/dining-tables/alden-dining-table-48-round
http://www.iometro.com/prodimg/768/enlarged/7681209001.jpg
March 14, 2013 at 2:05AM     
pattiegoode
Sorry the image doesn't show up!
March 14, 2013 at 2:05AM   
Shobha Bhushan
I had a peek at the site decoding decor.com,good tips,try some thing if you own art work
March 14, 2013 at 5:27AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I wouldn't base it on only the size either...but size does play a consideration when it's going to be a design decision. Especially when trying to achieve a specific look.

My style in my dining area/book nook area is a lot more polished. Specific colors and metal decor. Unlike my living room which has multiple pieces and styles, it's eclectic and that works too.

I don't buy art unless I love it.

There is so much art...and when it's something you will look at everyday...there is no reason to buy something less than what I adore.
March 14, 2013 at 5:20PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I think your decor is coming up well.MY suggestion is to have a ceramic painted plate to be kept on the central table ,not on the top but below in second shelf so to say ,it will appear like you are seeing thru a glass ,which in reality is but the look and effect are stunning.I have this idea which is a oval central focal point and I love the look.Will try to send some pic
March 15, 2013 at 2:08AM   
cigany
I read above that you like abstract seascapes. This might be too literal for you, but I just bought a painting from this artist and it's beautiful. http://www.etsy.com/shop/traceynicholas?ref=seller_info Love your couch btw!
March 15, 2013 at 12:20PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks @kcalman - I like those. Which painting did you get? Do u really love it? Did you get a large or small painting? I haven't looked at all of her stuff (just a few) but they are pretty - I will definitely look at her entire etsy store. I appreciate the suggestion.
March 15, 2013 at 1:12PM   
cigany
http://www.etsy.com/listing/125779006/summertime-blues-original-oil-painting?ref=usr_faveitems
This is the one I bought. It arrived today and I love it even more than I thought I would. Colors are really beautiful without being too bright. I think the blues would like nice with the grey in your room. Mine is considered large on the seller's website. It's 24x36 inches. It looks a little small to me over my very deep fireplace mantle, but I might just add a simple white frame. Good luck!
March 15, 2013 at 1:42PM     
cmcole1121
My mirror arrived! I think it is the perfect size and I really like it. It has more of a gold tone than I thought but I think it works - thoughts?? I need to hang it still.
Only problem is it is cracked :-(. Will have to see how to handle - anyone with experience with Hayneedle?
March 17, 2013 at 7:25PM     
bluenan
Hi There,
The size looks perfect! I like the color, it's more of a warm silver that looks good with the floor and will look nice with the rug. Bummer about the crack, they should have a good return policy, just notify them right away and ask for return shipping.
March 17, 2013 at 7:41PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
That mirror is beautiful. I think it makes a great statement. Sorry, I have no experience with Hayneedle. Most places do returns of damaged items for free though. Good luck!
March 17, 2013 at 7:59PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks! So another question about bookcases. I have been considering the black one from Ballard but it was revved toy suggested that this other lighter wood and metal bookcase may be better as I already have a it of black in room. Thoughts? Another suggestions?

I am leaning towards putting on wall next to doorway to TV room and leaving other wall for console table and / or cabinet.

I have a coupon to Ballard that expires tmrw and am thinking about purchasing,
March 17, 2013 at 9:01PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Love the mirror above the mantle! It looks just like mine. I call it "antiqued" because it's not really just flat gold. I'm sorry its cracked. Call their customer service asap. As for the bookcase I vote Ballard because it has that awesome design to it that adds some interest. Plus you have a coupon :)
March 17, 2013 at 9:15PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Your welcome. Hmm....that hard. I really like the look of the dark wood one. The design is really interesting...more interesting to look at. However, I am sure that have lighter colors in the room would create nice contrasts and tie into the lighter colors in the room.

I don't think you could actually go wrong with either one.

They would each just bring a different element. Which do you think makes the statement that most compliments your room? Creative design or nice contrasts?
March 17, 2013 at 11:08PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Did you notice the Bourdonnais Bookcase comes in Mahogany and Belgium Oak?

I think the Mahogany would bring some warmth in and also tie in well with the room.
March 17, 2013 at 11:14PM   
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
Christine, we happen to have a panoramic piece of art in blue. Since it is digital art, the shade of blue can be adjusted to meet your decorating needs, we do it all the time when we work with designers. Also, the image can be printed in virtually any custom size, up to 72" long, on art paper or canvas.
http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/featured/island-ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.html

And here is one more image from our portfolio here, on Houzz, that might work: water themed abstraction, in cool colors, it is in one of our ideabooks. Again, the colors can be fine-tuned and it can be printed in custom sizes, on fine art paper or canvas.

Angelina is right about the size of art on your walls, it is important to have your artwork in the right size, for overall visual balance in the room. Ordering fine art prints, as opposed to original paintings, has an advantage of getting exactly the size you need, provided you like the artwork, of course... Raisa
March 18, 2013 at 12:03AM     
cmcole1121
For bookcases - I'm hoping to get some more thoughts on this. I like the black one more but am cautious of being too matchy. I do like the other as well (balance of lighter wood with metal). My initial thoughts were that adding a mahogany type wood wouldn't work - agree?

Thanks! Andrea- is your mirror "distressed" looking? I ask because in addition to the crack there are other areas where it looks off but I think that may be part of the look. I def love it and thank u for your advice earlier (on your thread).
March 18, 2013 at 3:53AM   
bluenan
I wonder with your metal coffee table and end tables if another metal wouldn't be too much of the same material. The black bookcase will add weight, visual interest with the cross-bars, and wood, which you really don't have that much of. The coffee and end tables don't look like a dark black, aren't they bronze? Go with the black, that seems to be the one you truly love, it will look great.
March 18, 2013 at 6:03AM     
lovliny
I have been following your decorating project and think the outcome will be stunning when finished. I definitely like the Ballard bookcase much better for your room. To me it has the same sense of style as the other pieces in your room. Initially I felt the lamps were too large for your tables but hopefully everything will blend in nicely when you add your accessories. Love the mirror! The size is perfect and it adds a bit of sparkle.
March 18, 2013 at 6:30AM     
cmcole1121
Update! My rug arrived and I think it is great! I'm really excited my room is coming together :-). Thoughts? I still need to deal with artwork for over sofa but now seeing rug and sofa any new thoughts on pillows - thoughts on gold ikat pillow or blue attached?

I am going to order the black bookcase tonight for the far wall in 2nd pic. The floor lamp by door is really just there for light until I can place other lamps. Also if you have ideas for windows I think now is the time :-).
March 18, 2013 at 4:57PM     
wickedwhite
Wow! Your room has come a long way. I love how it's all coming together. The rug is a great choice. And the mirror is stunning.. perfect shape, size and colour.. and it really lights up the room. Pillow choices are also great. I prefer the one on the right. Is it blue or grey?
March 18, 2013 at 5:34PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I love your new rug and that set of 3 pillows for your space! It is coming together beautifully. Also yes my mirror is distressed as well
March 18, 2013 at 5:45PM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
I just bought these for my living room and I and I love them
March 18, 2013 at 5:47PM     
bluenan
The rug looks great, really pulls the room together! I like the gold ikat, perhaps one on each side with the blue grey velvet pillow you already own on one side. I feel like the gold may be a good counterpoint to the blue and grey. It's hard to tell true colors on our monitors, now that you have the rug it may be an easier decision for you.
March 18, 2013 at 5:57PM     
bluenan
I found a pillow with blue and honey.
March 18, 2013 at 6:09PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks for the comments ;-). I attached the gold pillow mentioned - thoughts on this vs blue ikat options? Andrea - where did u get your curtains?
March 18, 2013 at 6:56PM     
wickedwhite
I like the gold. It will tie in your rug and mirror.
March 18, 2013 at 7:02PM     
PRO
Room looks great! I like all the different pillows. Since changing out the pillows is the easiest thing to do, nail down your over sofa painting and then chose pillows, easier than the other way around. Same goes for your new lamp shades.
March 19, 2013 at 2:55AM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
If it were me, I wouldn't get a few different pillows, the variations will be good for the room. .

The room is coming together fantastically!

Are you happy with it? =)
March 19, 2013 at 1:02PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
I would put a bigger and taller chest in color maybe red on wall by window. Lamps should be a lot taller on end tables. Try silver with white shades. Or lucite with lite gray shades. Add some small silk plants for interest. On coffee table a med size silver bowl with green apples. Toss pillows in different shades of green put some in print. Add throw in lime green on chair.you need A big piece of art over sofa. Contemporary . 40x40 with lots of color. Check TJMax, for accents great price.
March 19, 2013 at 1:10PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Take lamp off little table and if you can't change table out for heavier chest. Add art work over it. Remember no more than 4" above table also sofa. Hang art low. You need a big 9x12 area rug. Pick color that you want in room. You can do print with color or maybe a thick zebra rug.
March 19, 2013 at 1:21PM   
cmcole1121
Travisinteriors - thank you for your comments. a lot has happened with my room since my original post - if you want to see where i am currently please scroll to bottom and you will see current room with rug, mirror over FP, lamps, etc. i ordered a new black bookcase for use in the room but the other 2 wood pieces (brown bookcase and demilune) can be replaced with other things so i am open to additional ideas. also i am currently trying to finalize a piece of art for over FP. i also will need to focus on window treatments soon and am open to ideas.
March 19, 2013 at 1:26PM   
cmcole1121
what are thoughts on updating window treatments? i want to update with curtains (i like idea of drapes) - advice on color/pattern? as mentioned, this room doesn't get a lot of light but do need for some privacy.

also, for the 2 walls on one side of room (currently where bookcase and demilune table) - i'm thinking about a console table on one wall and a cabinet of some kind on the other. planning on holding off on purchasing until i find stuff i really love but am looking for some ideas of what colors/styles might work with the rest of the room. I have already been given great advice to watch for too many more legs as i have a lot and think i need to bring in some color or metal tones so as to give balance avoid being too matchy matchy.

lpmenache - thanks i know you are right but the artwork is so much harder to finalize than pillows :-).
March 19, 2013 at 3:04PM     
bluenan
Pleated linen drapes on a bronze rod with rings for easy open and close is a classic look for windows.
Light saturated living room
A Houston Heights House
Domicile id
March 19, 2013 at 3:59PM     
insidet
My first thought is that you are desperately in need of the addition of textiles, that will offer a variety of texture and warmth. Since this is a family/living room, comfort as well as aesthetics should be considered. The two chairs flanking the fireplace are exactly the same giving the room a generic 'office waiting room' feel. Add different textiles on them. One a pillow with wool or embroidery or velvet. The other a nice cashmere throw blanket with a pattern or rich color. a flat print pillow won't do what needs to be done in here.
March 19, 2013 at 4:28PM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Love this ikat rug:
March 19, 2013 at 4:32PM   
lovliny
Agree with the pinch pleated drapes but this is where your pattern should come in and then pillows and lastly artwork. The pillows should pick up on a color in the patterned drapes (in my opinion). It seems an easier way to go.
March 19, 2013 at 4:33PM     
bluenan
Nice drapes can be quite an investment and we all know that pattern trends come and go, the chevrons and ikats of today will be the pink cabbage rose of the 90's. Using colors and pattern on pillows and accessories that can be more easily changed out with the trends will extend the life of your interior, imho...
March 19, 2013 at 5:04PM     
jccbaker
My suggestion for your windows is crisp white drapes. Linens4Less has some nice pinch pleated drapes.
March 19, 2013 at 10:22PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
The rug is perfect. =)

I agree on the point that the curtains are a chance to bring additional textiles. You have a lot of formality to your room. It is beautiful and comfortable...but I think the right curtains will soften it.

This came to mind.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lara-96-inch-Shimmer-Panel-Window-Curtain/7463321/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ef_id=ULfCVwAAUZqwZopk:20130320054147:s

Particularly the taupe.
March 19, 2013 at 10:47PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
March 19, 2013 at 10:51PM   
pattiegoode
Just a reminder of your inspiration.
March 20, 2013 at 12:07AM     
pattiegoode
For that reason, I'm in favor of white at your windows - in whatever mode makes you happy: blinds, sheers, panels, drapes, a print that is predominately white, etc...
March 20, 2013 at 12:08AM     
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Believe it or not Ikea! I was amazed with the quality and they have a gorgeous sheen to them! Here's the link... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90196347/
March 20, 2013 at 12:15AM   
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Here they are and sorry for the horrible lighting and camera phone picture but they look so much better in person. I tried to capture the sheen with a flash.
March 20, 2013 at 12:32AM     
cmcole1121
i am thinking that I want to stay with more classic curtains (rather than too trendy). While I'm leaning to solid colors I would however be open to a subtle pattern. I do like the idea of adding some shine to the room. What are thoughts on a light blue curtain, or should I stick with white or another color? Any specific suggestions? I have seen a few I like which I will try to link to later (not sure how to do that from mobile app).

Also I've been given advice to put rod above window- any recommendations on how to handle the radiators that sit under 2 of the 3 windows?

Thanks for the advice already given ;-)
March 20, 2013 at 5:29AM     
pattiegoode
What's your budget range?
March 20, 2013 at 5:45AM   
pattiegoode
Luxurious white velvet on a black/ dark rod as high as you can hang them: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1159290

March 20, 2013 at 6:04AM     
bluenan
Your windows are a bit of a challenge. The large front window is positioned higher and very close to the ceiling and the rads need to be exposed in winter. The curtains should be hung at the same height to unify the room. Woven blinds under the drapes, also hung at the same height, will give you lots of options for privacy and coverage and not cover the rads. You could get a woven wood to complement your floor, or choose from tons of other available options.
March 20, 2013 at 7:14AM     
cmcole1121
bluenan - would you believe that i never noticed my windows are different heights? i realized they were different widths - but not the distance from ceiling. you bring up some good points/challenge. Does anyone else have experience/advice re: this type of situation?

Also, now that i notice this do you think that should have an impact on the size/type of whatever piece of furniture i put on that wall between the 2 windows - since they are different sizes? (for all following - i am referring to the 2 windows as seen in the 3rd photo attached to the initial post in this thread)

Finally - quick question on the Houzz mobile app - has anyone noticed that once you get to 300 comments on a thread they no longer show in the app? therefore i can't see any new comments unless i log on via the web.
March 20, 2013 at 10:04AM   
cigany
I saw on another posting that you have a cat...

If you're concerned about scratching, you could try out an inexpensive pair of curtains to see how your cat reacts. Or you could just use roman blinds, plantation shutters, etc. My cats don't touch the curtains that hang to the floor, but they will scratch at them when they're covering a window with a sill that they can sit in. Our bay window is a real problem.

I'll be asking for window treatment advice in a month or two, after a new patio door is installed. I hope you and the others following this posting will comment! Your room looks great!

Is your grey couch microfiber? Where did you get it?
March 20, 2013 at 3:12PM   
cmcole1121
Any one have any advice about decorating windows that are different sizes and heights? just realized i had this dilemma (thanks bluenan).

kcalman Thanks for comments - i love my couch. it is not microfiber it is fabric (houndstooth) but i don't remember the exact fabric. it's from Crate and barrell. i have a microfiber sofa in my tv room. while i do need to keep my cat in mind for all decorating decisions - i'm not as worried about the curtains. we will see though.
March 20, 2013 at 4:12PM   
zindor
You could hang all the rods at the same height as required by the tallest window. I had small windows in a bedroom, but hung the curtains very near the ceiling and extended them to puddle a bit on the floor. As a result, the windows appeared larger.

To accommodate your radiators, you could make the rods longer than actually necessary, letting long panels fall to either side of the radiators, which would also make your windows look quite wide. Then, use a shade or blinds to pull down to the radiator height, if you need privacy or wish to filter the light. Continue the same look on windows that do not have radiators.

I am impressed with your progress!
March 20, 2013 at 8:37PM     
PRO
Good Morning,
I would suggest stationary drapery panels at all 3 windows all hung just below ceiling molding. Behind this, at the same level as the rod, I would hang flat roman shades that will go all the way from behind your rod to the sills when needing privacy. They should be kept all at the same height when open so that all the windows will look the same size. If you can afford it a lucite rod and rings that would be fabulous. Regular 3 finger pleats or the smaller top sewn pleats would look great. What ever you do dont use grommets. ( I think they belong in a bathroom only or a very industrial look, IMHO. I agree that properly made drapes can be very expensive even at cost and fabrics can be very trendy. So I think a solid color silk( for the shimer you want) for the panels and then either a patterned roman shade or a complimentary solid color with a an interesting tape trim( Greek Key Perhaps) on the edge of the shade. This look has been around for ever and is still current today.
Your room is really coming together!
March 21, 2013 at 2:52AM     
PRO
Another idea is a striped fabric for either the shade or drapes. They will make the room look taller and draw the eye upward. Stripes have never gone out of style.
March 21, 2013 at 2:53AM     
cmcole1121
zindor and lpmenache - thanks for your great ideas. very helpful. i especially like the idea about the longer rods (to account for the radiator) and height of rod. i also appreciate the thoughts on grommets - i've been wondering about those as i seem them in many places.
i will need to spend some time researching this a bit more - other ideas and recommendations are welcome.
March 21, 2013 at 7:14AM     
cmcole1121
Hi - What are thoughts on the attached curtains - white silk (restoration hardware)? Also since I'm looking to have curtains frame the window I think I would stick with the 50 inch wide panels, is that right? If so what blinds/shades to go with? So far both roman shades and woven blinds have been suggested - I'm not sure which. Thoughts?

Also what are thoughts on the new white lamp shades? They still have plastic on them but u should get the idea. My only concern is when the light is on the shades don't look as white as I had hoped. Thoughts on shape, size, color?
March 22, 2013 at 6:01PM     
bluenan
Lamp shades look good, nice shape. I think most all shades cast off white when the lamp is on.

If you get the RH french pleat silk drape, you should use a 70" for the big window and the 46" for the smaller windows. The ones in your picture are rod pocket hung with clips. You don't want the drape on the big window to look skimpy, even if you don't plan on closing them. As for the roman shades, whether you use fabric or woven, or bamboo, it depends on the look you're after. The silk is a dressy fabric, do you want to tone it down with a more natural shade, or play it up with a fabric? It might be more difficult to find a fabric shade that looks compatible with the silk. I recommend you check some websites and order samples.

The shades should be hung with an outside mount so you can hang them all at the same height. Make sure they are measured from the outside of the window trim so you can't see that the shades on the smaller windows are hung higher than the actual window.
March 22, 2013 at 6:35PM     
bluenan
Here are the french pleats. Sorry, can't get the picture bigger. It's from the RH site. Order samples, there are two whites. Try the FOG also if you're ordering samples.
March 22, 2013 at 6:38PM     
bluenan
Here is an example of woven shades hung higher than the window and to the outside width of the window frame and woven shades with drapes, both hung at the same height.
Tudor Revival
Lovely Living Room
March 22, 2013 at 6:51PM     
PRO
Eidetic Digital, LLC
Here is a five-foot wide photograph that might look great over the sofa or possibly the fireplace. (mouseover for full-width image) http://etsy.me/11rT0LD
March 22, 2013 at 7:51PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks bluenan, I really appreciate your advice. I never would have thought of some of those things!

i think I may need to visit a professional for the windows. This may be beyond me :-). It is so expensive and a big focal point and I want to get it right - also I want to bring in some color in a subtle way and think a professional could help.

Of course other thoughts /advice is always welcome.
March 22, 2013 at 8:14PM     
cmcole1121
So I finally put the outlines of the 2 paintings up on my wall and am curious as to thoughts. The pics attached to this post are the smaller piece (40x40) and the next post has larger piece (60x48).

However the outline of the larger piece is actually a few inches short on both height and width (I didn't have enough paper :-). So as u can see the bigger one would be hitting much closer to the ceiling than in pic. The smaller one could use a frame to make a bit bigger (but smaller is square vs rectangle). Please let me know your thoughts.
March 23, 2013 at 11:05AM     
cmcole1121
As per previous post this is larger piece in considering. Please let me know your thoughts on which would fit space better.
March 23, 2013 at 11:09AM     
cmcole1121
One more ?, would it be worth it to paint the wood chest in pic? I was thinking I could move it to the wall where demilune table is and paint it. Instead of buying something new right now. Thoughts about if this would be worth it, color to paint, etc.
Also - still looking for feedback on artwork size/selection (prev posts)
March 23, 2013 at 12:55PM     
deaquinoway
Instead of putting a mirror on top of the couch , you can have a Art picture ! What type no idea Depends on your taste
March 23, 2013 at 1:07PM   
cmcole1121
art is going over sofa - not a mirror.
March 23, 2013 at 1:18PM   
bluenan
Hi There,
I think the square is too small, the proportions of the rectangular painting look better to my eye. Absolutely paint the chest, add new hardware, it might work as a bar. Not sure about colors, I'll be thinking about it and also wait for other opinions to come in.
March 23, 2013 at 1:23PM     
Ann
I like the larger size for your sofa art, slightly lower than the paper is taped. I love your new rug. I think I might eliminate the vase and flowers on the floor in front of the fireplace. The room is looking very nice.
March 23, 2013 at 1:27PM     
bluenan
I've read a lot of good comments about Annie Sloan chalk paint, I think it's a two-step process with paint and then waxes that imparts a soft, lived-in finish like the picture below. I haven't used it myself, perhaps someone who has can weigh in.

Here's a thought about the painting and the rectangular one being close to the ceiling: remember your drapes will have to be hung very close to the ceiling to accommodate the tall front window, so that height on the painting might help to balance the window treatments.

March 23, 2013 at 1:34PM     
Ann
I think the chest works fine where it is - possibly painted but also not sure what color. But, the silk plant next to it is way too small/short for that spot. I think you need a much taller one (to the top of the window frame) in a large ceramic container, moving the chest slightly to the left.
March 23, 2013 at 1:40PM   
deaquinoway
What type of art u like !!
Our u can go to website www.art.com
March 23, 2013 at 1:53PM   
lovliny
In an earlier post I suggested that you use a pattern on your windows. What I had in mind was a small geometric print or tone on tone but something that adds some texture. I'm attaching an example. I think your chest is fine but I would add new hardware similar to the finish of the mirror. You may have to expand the photos to see the pattern.
March 23, 2013 at 2:03PM     
chelseamrk
I took a quick look through this discussion and have seen you have come a long way and it looks great.

I have a few suggestions. The chest looks a bit too heavy to fit in with the rest of the room. You might want to try a console as you originally thought.

The painting is a good size over the couch. What colour frame are you thinking of and how large if any of a matt.

And for your drapes you should mount the rods at the same height and go with a white or a dark grey.

Hope this helps!

Pic #1 - console table
Pic #2 - artwork and frame
Pic #3 - Drapes and hanging
March 23, 2013 at 2:03PM     
wickedwhite
You should definitely paint and keep that chest. It rocks. I would change the hardware too. Give it a new life. It definitely works in your room. You could try a cream or a blue. I'm sure you'll get plenty of smart suggestions on paint colour!
March 23, 2013 at 2:37PM     
wickedwhite
As for the art, I prefer the first one, but the size and shape of the second one works better above your sofa. Perhaps you could go with the first and balance out with a couple of sconces on either side..? It would fill the space better. I would drop the art a couple of inches either way.
March 23, 2013 at 2:41PM     
Ann
On second thought, I'd eliminate the silk plant (from that spot) and not replace it with a taller one. Instead, I'd keep the chest centered (and probably painted) and add a set of two or three pictures hung vertically above it. I'd keep the width of the art just a little less than the width of the chest.
March 23, 2013 at 2:52PM   
Ann
I think I'd try to stick with just larger art above the sofa. Though nice, sometimes sconces tend to compete with pairs of lamps at ends of a sofa.
March 23, 2013 at 2:54PM     
cmcole1121
thanks all for great comments on the cabinet. I've bought so much new stuff lately I was hoping to salvage this for now (instead of buying something new). Any other specific color suggestions?

the placement of the cabinet and fake plant are all just temporary. i am definitely not keeping the plant there (prob not anywhere). Also I have bought a new black bookshelf which I am planning on putting against the wall where cabinet is now - so I need to move it to other wall. More than likely I will look to put my lighthouse print over this cabinet.

As for art - my husband and I also thought the larger piece worked better (although it almost looked too big at first - but that's prob just me :->). I think I may order today :-)

Loveliny - thanks for the pics of curtains they are very helpful. I really liked those & am definitely not opposed to some kind of pattern. i am going to need to go and talk with someone who can help me with this (i have another room as well that needs window coverings). All these ideas are very helpful.
March 24, 2013 at 7:25AM   
Ann
It's all going to look great with the additions you just described! I think you'll love the room.
March 24, 2013 at 8:45AM     
cmcole1121
Found another piece of art we are considering - what do u think of this vs original piece? They are both same width (60 inch) but 1st one is not as tall (30 inch vs 48). Thoughts between 2 pieces?
March 24, 2013 at 11:17AM     
bluenan
It's really nice! You would have to get the gold ikat pillows for that! I think the stronger colors help balance out the black in your room and might help to tie in the blue pillows you like. I don't think you really love the other painting...For paint, do you like a gloss finish or more of a satin or matte rubbed finish?
Hand-painted Honeycomb Chest
Shades of Blue: Living and Dining Room Design. Foyer cabinet details
Coastal Cottage Home Furnishings
March 24, 2013 at 11:37AM     
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
You need art!
March 24, 2013 at 11:44AM   
babzie933
Hi Christine, Just wanted to say, I love what you chose (earlier post) the slender ceramic lamps, the rug, the artwork, and I really like the wall color and the sofa! Everyone has their ideas on what to do with the space, but I think you are doing great! In the end, we always seem to gravitate to similar things. Those are the things that will make you happy! Don't forget to show us the final photos! :) Barb
March 24, 2013 at 11:48AM     
cmcole1121
Bluenan- thanks for your thoughts. U have figured me out :-). I don't "love" the one piece but do like it a lot. My husband and I are drawn to this new piece I found with the bolder colors. It's on etsy and it is an original piece (although a bit more expensive). Do u think it would work with my rug? I think so.. And absolutely I would get the gold ikat pillows for sofa :-).

Matt - I know i need art, that is what my last post was about
March 24, 2013 at 11:49AM     
mjmil
I think I am drawn to the new piece that you found. A little bit bolder. Hope that helps.
March 24, 2013 at 12:19PM     
cmcole1121
So the more I look at this new piece of art the more I really like it! Ive attached a few pics of room and artwork for opinions! I just want to make sure it will work with the rug (which I think it will). Any other Thoughts?

@babzie933 thanks so much for your comments. I appreciate it. I have had some great advice from so many that have been a huge help!
@mjmil - thanks for your comment :-)
@bluenan - thanks for the additional thoughts on cabinet and pics, they are really helpful. I have no idea what finish I prefer but think I like the 2nd pic you posted the most (shades of blue).
March 24, 2013 at 12:43PM     
lovliny
I like the colors and movement in the second piece of art. Art is very personal and you should just pick the one you love. You can't make a mistake because everyone looks at art differently and there is no wrong or right choice. You have already made many good decisions so trust yourself on the art. Whatever you choose is the right one.
March 24, 2013 at 12:54PM     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
Yes, if you like the artwork, especially if you like it more each time you look at it, then you should have it! You will be living in this room for a while, so you should only bring there the things you enjoy looking at... Raisa
March 24, 2013 at 12:55PM     
libradesigneye
cc - just checking in, so much amazing progress. The art works beautifully with the rug. The rug is just your backdrop now - love the lamps, mirror, coming together.
YES, great idea to keep and paint the chest - it wants to be a very pale mustard tone that is flat so the carved shapes pop for you in a modern way. I suggest http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2834-birdseye-maple/ It is subtle, but echoes the gold accents you are building. You can use rub and buff or orb spray paint to update hardware before you put it back on. Find the right metal for the piece instead of worrying about matching other elements in the room - it is a stand alone.

Curtain panels need to have a print - everything you have so far is solid, and layering their textures will make a big difference. Love the idea of going over rattan to pick up a bit more gold, but here is one vote for a print at your windows. Go down to calico corners just to see if you fall in love with some print fabrics in your family.
March 24, 2013 at 1:05PM     
Ann
I like your new art choice and it looks like the size is a bit better - not quite as tall. It will definitely look nice with the gold ikat pillows. Really nice with the blue things on the hearth too.
March 24, 2013 at 1:23PM     
cmcole1121
I bought the piece of art!!!!! YAY! Thank you all so much for your comments - they were very helpful in helping me confirm what i knew i wanted to do :-).
i also ordered the gold ikat pillows. those with the light blue pillow i have i think will look great (and if not i can try something else, right!). I also bought a light blue velvet small pillow for one of the black chairs and a blue throw for the other. I will keep everyone posted with pics once i receive everything :-).

I also appreciate the comments about the cabinet - i will tackle that next. So far i think i have suggestions for a mustard color, white, blue - any other ideas? what about a shade or 2 darker than the walls (Revere Pewter) - or is that too close in color?

libradesigneye - thanks for your comments on the curtains. i appreciate your thoughts and will keep in mind (along with other comments) when i go to the store. i'm putting windows on back burner until i get this other stuff figured out (it's too overwhelming!!).
March 24, 2013 at 4:30PM   
bluenan
I thought about grey, keeping the same tone, but darker like you said would be best. You'd just have to make sure it didn't look like grey primer!
Master Bedroom
Amoroso Design
March 24, 2013 at 4:41PM     
Ann
I kind of like what you're thinking for the cabinet - like the "shades of blue" photo that bluenan posted. I also liked the idea of the mustard color, but it would be my second choice. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!
March 24, 2013 at 4:45PM     
Ann
Also, I know you mentioned the bookcase won't be staying, but I think it looks rather nice in that corner. I have a similar piece in my dining room and I angled it in the corner and I like it. I think yours would look nice angled too.
March 24, 2013 at 4:54PM     
cmcole1121
thanks Ann - i appreciate your thoughts. i will probably hold onto the brown bookcase for a bit (or maybe move into dining room). i ordered a new more open black bookcase for the living room (opposite wall) and i'm thinking that the brown one opposite as well may be a bit overkill. however, since i don't have anything to put in it's place i will probably hold off any serious changes for now. thanks again (also for your comments on the cabinet color).
March 24, 2013 at 6:13PM     
zindor
I'm glad you're going to keep the cabinet and paint it! If you haven't already done so, place it in the room position where you think you want it. When you get it in place and hang the new art, I think the color it needs to be will become more obvious to you, but if you still need help, you can post a photo of it in position and get more recommendations from us all. Paint some samples on a board and place in front of the chest, much like you put the paper on the wall to help choose the artwork size. Just looking at your room so far, my vote is for blue or a darker shade of gray.
March 24, 2013 at 7:36PM     
cmcole1121
Zingor that is a great idea! I will definitely do that - no need to rush right :-). In the meantime paint suggestions would be great :-).

In the next week or so I should get my new bookcase and can rearrange furniture. i will also get my new painting and get it framed (assuming I want to) and will also have my lighthouse pic framed for over cabinet. then i should have a better sense which direction the cabinet should go ;-).
March 24, 2013 at 10:15PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I am glad you found a piece of art you love, it's going to be perfect in your room! =)
March 24, 2013 at 10:53PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Hobby Lobby and Michael's always have sales going for custom framing...FYI.
March 24, 2013 at 11:21PM   
Shobha Bhushan
Wow The room looks great ,I was gone for vacation and am back ,just was looking at the home decor ,YOURS is the best by far from the thread I follow ,I just have one suggestion,The art work which is larger will work and I am sure you will be able to put it all well.I like your taste
March 25, 2013 at 5:58AM     
cigany
Yeah, your room really looks lovely. What would you say your decorating style is? Someone asked me what mine is, and while I strive for your style, I have no idea what I'd call it :)
March 25, 2013 at 6:10AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks so much! Although a lot of the credit has to go to those who provided such great advice on this thread. Many of the decisions I've made I would never have thought of without advice and suggestions on Houzz!

I am very grateful and have learned so much from this process. Still much more to do and learn though :-).
March 25, 2013 at 7:51AM     
bluenan
I'm stuck inside with 12" of snow so I've been looking at pictures and thought of you when I saw these.
Curtains with the Greek key trim mentioned earlier in the thread, and ideas for your coffee table or chest.
huntley & co. | American Glamour
Cheshire Foyer Navy Blue and White
Greenwich Penthouse
March 25, 2013 at 8:37AM     
laurae1967
Lovely room! I would toss the fake plant as it detracts from the beautiful elements in the room. I also don't think the blue chenille pillow adds any visual interest and is in a shade that doesn't work with the couch fabric. Look forward to seeing your final selections.
March 25, 2013 at 12:13PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks bluenan! Laura - thanks. The plant is temporary. As for pillow I will see how everything comes together once other pillows and painting is delivered. If it doesn't work I will find something else. Thanks
March 25, 2013 at 3:51PM   
vacox
Christine, the room is looking wonderful! I have a similarly shaped room that I am currently redesigning with help from Houzzers. I have a grand piano in there, and some other design issues. I love the blue colors on your mantel.... I'm watching your thread for drapery ideas. I'll be doing a similar thing, "framing" the windows with long, hopefully elegant drapes.
March 26, 2013 at 6:27PM     
PRO
Vintage By Dounia
March 26, 2013 at 6:41PM     
Margaret B
Please post pictures of the room with your new artwork. I have been following this post and have developed a bad case of "room envy" . Very nicely done.
March 26, 2013 at 6:46PM     
cmcole1121
Thank you all for the compliments. next week I should get the painting, bookcase, and pillows :-). I will have to see if I want to frame the painting or not.

I do appreciate your compliments as I am very happy with my room and can't wait to see it "done". I will definitely keep posting updates.
March 26, 2013 at 7:18PM   
cmcole1121
I've uploaded pics of new pillow and throw I got for chairs. What do u think? The one is a dusty blue (looks a bit more gray though) and throw is more of a teal color. Do u think they work in room (warm up as some have suggested)?

I should have gold ikat sofa pillows delivered in next few days.
March 27, 2013 at 4:17PM     
bluenan
Yes, they work and should look great with your new painting.
March 27, 2013 at 4:25PM     
pinkturnip
wow, some good ideas you have coming in here! I love your Edgecomb Gray walls. I was trying to decide on the right gray for my den and I think you have convinced me! Good luck!
March 27, 2013 at 4:28PM     
rilovesj
Just browsed through this thread and I love what you've chosen for the room. I painted my living room grey, and need some ideas for decorating. Going to use lots of the ones posted on this thread.
March 27, 2013 at 6:47PM     
Deborah Sullivan
I am not a designer (just a home owner), so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. I love many of the suggestions here (I haven't been able to read through everything) and I love some of the ideas that you have been able to extrapolate from the comments. I feel very confident that you are going to end up with an incredible living room in the end. The one thing that I did want to add is: Your new sofa (which I LOVE) is very square, as is your coffee table and some of the other choices in your room. I would try to soften that with some rounded lines, like with your lamps and perhaps with some of the case pieces that have been suggested. I would also say ... don't be in a huge rush to buy art pieces just to fill a space or to add color. I feel that art should speak to and inspire you. When you see it, you'll know. I am struggling myself to learn to live with a blank wall for a while rather than fill something up that just isn't something I really love (or at least like very much). The art thing (for me!) is tough, because I am not regularly in places to look at art, but I don't just want to buy generic pieces to fill an empty wall. Mirrors are great really in that you can fill an empty space until you find something unique you want to look at every day. Anyway, I'm rambling ... I really just want to say: yes, rugs and lamps and pillows and stuff to soften and layer, but don't be in a rush to complete absolutely everything. It should be a work in process.

Very much enjoying this thread as it shows a real design conversation. Very compelling.
March 27, 2013 at 7:11PM     
petuniablossom
I'm not sure if any one has commented in this way, but since you said the room doesn't get a lot of light, I might want to use some warm colors like shades of red, orange or yellow to cozy up the space. I really like your choice in sofa, which shows you have some modern and classic sensibilities. Keep this in mind as you choose accessories, but take your time in finding pieces to which you are personally drawn. Also, don't be afraid to mix in contrast textures. For example, I could see some weathered, gray wood hanging above the sofa or fireplace with a colorful and sculptural little something mounted on the wood. Don't rush and have fun!
March 27, 2013 at 7:31PM     
Shobha Bhushan
Yes now the room is shaping well,I think the gold ikat pillow will do the trick of adding texture,we shall wait.
The othercombi is great.Am loving the look
March 28, 2013 at 12:43AM   
cmcole1121
My pillows arrived - what do u think?
March 28, 2013 at 4:05PM     
Ann
Nice! From the first picture, it looks like they look very nice with the gold in the rug. They're a nice size for that sofa too.
March 28, 2013 at 4:16PM     
PRO
Vintage By Dounia
love the gold and the gray! great combination.
March 28, 2013 at 6:29PM     
bluenan
Looks nice! All of your layering is really bringing it all together.
March 28, 2013 at 6:44PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks - i really love the pillows. adds a new color but complimentary color to the room.
March 28, 2013 at 8:14PM     
Shobha Bhushan
Love the pillows,the golden accent looks beautiful,matches the carpet.Now you can choose a strong focal point for your room,it could be anything,one strong color will liven up the whole look.You can think what you would like to emphasize.So far I like the combinations,working precisely
March 29, 2013 at 12:29AM   
cmcole1121
Thanks all- I think the strong focal point will be the painting that will he delivered next week. That will tie in the blue and yellow/gold colors (hopefully)
March 29, 2013 at 9:37AM   
Ann
Yes, christinemcole, I think the painting will be a great focal point that ties it all together. It will look so nice - you are doing a great job and making wonderful choices. The size of art was well thought through and the colors are great - you'll love your room.
March 29, 2013 at 12:28PM     
Shobha Bhushan
Now you can wait and relax till your art piece arrives.I like the look
March 30, 2013 at 1:07AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Love your room, I have the same tables don't you just love them . Please post your pics of all your new goodies.
March 30, 2013 at 1:59AM     
PRO
Eileen A.
The room says nothing to me you need color!
April 2, 2013 at 8:09AM   
cmcole1121
i really appreciate all of the very productive and helpful comments that have been made on my room. I am very happy with how it is coming together and thank many of you for the suggestions and guidance. My new painting should arrive tomorrow and i will definitely post pics and ask for help in how high above the sofa to hang it.

Eileen A - did you have specific advice or just want to criticize? my room actually says a lot now (at least to me). my assumption is that you commented on the initial pics of my room without looking at the more than 380 comments that have been made (including updated pictures and status).
April 2, 2013 at 10:04AM     
mjmil
Christinemccole I think your room is coming together wonderfully. I can't wait to see the art I think that will be a beautiful addition. Thanks for continuing to update us on your lovely room.
April 2, 2013 at 11:11AM     
aurorasgifts
My sofa is similar here is a pic of my wall paint
April 2, 2013 at 11:20AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
No mater what 90% of the time 6"s above your seating piece of furniture for art. For eye level when your seated. It also anchors the art to your room. As shown in Auroasgifts pic. You have a beautiful room & great taste !
April 2, 2013 at 12:02PM     
cmcole1121
@kevin & @mjmil - thanks so much! I appreciate the words and advice about painting. I can't wait to receive it and share with everyone!
April 2, 2013 at 3:15PM     
PRO
Eileen A.
Sorry if I offended you i'm just saying you need Color. If the room reflects your personalty and If you are satisfied with what you have. not matter what I SAY .
April 2, 2013 at 4:49PM   
cmcole1121
I got my art! What do u think?

I obviously still need to hang it but in the meantime I wanted to share ;-). I'm thinking that we don't need to frame it -agree? Also it was suggested I should hang 6 inches above sofa - thoughts?
April 4, 2013 at 4:47PM     
Monica Ellison
I love it!
April 4, 2013 at 4:53PM     
Deborah Sullivan
It looks great! I especially like how the gold in the painting and gold in the pillows complement each other.
April 4, 2013 at 4:56PM     
vacox
It's wonderful! It looks great with the rug, couch, and pillows....
April 4, 2013 at 4:56PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I love it , No frame needed, I had suggested 6"s above sofa and yes try that. The room has come together really well. It's all about the details isn't it?
April 4, 2013 at 5:04PM     
cmcole1121
April 4, 2013 at 5:32PM     
Margaret B
It looks fantastic. The room looked so stark and cold when you started, now your room looks comfortable and pulled together.
April 4, 2013 at 5:33PM     
Ann
It is great!!!! Perfect size and color - no frame necessary! Since it's horizontal, I'd try holding it 8" above couch but if that looks too high, go with 6.
April 4, 2013 at 6:12PM     
mjmil
Wow christenmcole the artwork looks fabulous. I agree with the other posts no frame is necessary. It is really pulling the whole room together. Great job - you have fantastic taste. Can't wait to see the new Horchow piece.
Thanks for continuing to share.
April 4, 2013 at 6:43PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks ;-). We will hang this weekend and then hopefully my bookcase will arrive next week! Then I can put some of my family pics back in room;-).
Question - what are thoughts on best location for the bookcase? i want to move the existing wood cabinet to the entry of room (in place of demilune) so will then have 2 possible locations for bookshelf (where brown shelves are now or where cabinet is). on the other wall i will eventually want to get a console type table. which location do u think would work best for the bookcase?

I want to have a lamp on cabinet by entry and was thinking i could hang my framed lighthouse landscape over cabinet. will artwork work with a lamp on the cabinet?

Sorry for so many questions.
April 4, 2013 at 8:57PM   
folk698
i just saw your room this evening....what a treat to see it from bare to the beauty it is now without having to wait 6 weeks! you have done an awesome job and i can't wait to see your window treatment, bookshelf and cabinet re-do.
I like the idea of a subtle pattern at the window... stationary panels on the sides, possibly blue? with roman shades to be let down for privacy. (Lovely Living Room that bluenan posted 13 days ago).
I don't see why you couldn't use a lamp on he cabinet with your artwook above it. You'd just have to make sure it isn't so large as to take up space in your picture.
thanks for sharing :)
April 4, 2013 at 9:42PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I feel you could use the height of the new bookcase where the console is now that you had mentioned to refinish. I looked at all the previous pics and feel that's the best place. I like the idea of keeping a lower piece where the "demilune table" is at now. Your room has come along beautifully. I think you could use some larger plants live or Faux to soften the room & add nature.
April 4, 2013 at 9:53PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like a lamp by art work, Just slightly in front of the edge of the art. Add a nice stack of books or a pretty tray for a nice look . Again hang the picture low generally. To keep it anchored.
April 4, 2013 at 10:10PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Looks fantastic!

No frame needed...but most art looks more dramatic when it's framed. It doesn't hurt to look and see if a particular frame looks good against in at a store. Design is in the details after-all....;)
April 5, 2013 at 12:31AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
For a more modern look the simple canvas looks wonderful. With no Frame.
April 5, 2013 at 12:37AM     
lovliny
The art work looks wonderful and I agree that a frame is not necessary. I don't think it would add anything visually. I think the new bookshelf would look best where you currently have the chest that you want to paint. If you decide to go with stationary panels at your windows, they are going to fill in a lot of wall space. In one of your photos showing the room with the mirror hung over the fireplace it also shows the chest. If you look at the flow of the room and the height of the mirror, windows, etc, I think you need a taller piece of furniture where that chest is currently located. Your room looks great. It's been fun watching your progress.
April 5, 2013 at 7:12AM     
cmcole1121
hi all - thanks. i am going to keep the painting unframed. i'm actually very excited it doesn't need to be framed as i was going to have it professionally framed (so this will save me $$$).
@Kevin -thanks for your ideas. i just want to reconfirm your ideas about the furniture location options. i am definitely going to move the short cabinet to where the demilune table is now. Also, i'm going to get rid of the tall shelving unit currently in the room. so my question is which of the 2 spots would be best for the new bookshelf? if you look at the attached pics it would be either where the cabinet is in pics or the tall shelving unit? (by doorway or in corner on opposite wall). i just wanted to make sure you still recommend the wall next to the doorway (where cabinet is in pics) knowing that the existing shelving unit will be removed and that space will be available. also I will eventually get a console type table for the remaining wall and want to keep that in mind.

sorry if this is confusing!!
April 5, 2013 at 7:18AM     
cmcole1121
@lovliny - thanks for your ideas. i just saw after i posted my last comment :-). you make some good points. i think size wise the bookcase will work better on that wall too (won't be so crammed and will allow for window panels like you said.) thanks so much :-).
April 5, 2013 at 7:23AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Yes,the old book case doesn't meet the new beautiful standard of your new room. Puttin on the Ritz !!!
April 5, 2013 at 7:42AM     
PRO
Recreate and Decorate
Your room is coming together beautifully!
April 5, 2013 at 7:54AM     
roxydesigner
wowww your house looks amazing after the changes!!!!
April 5, 2013 at 8:01AM     
mjmil
I think the new bookcase from Horchow would go best where your cabinet is not where the old bookcase is located.
Hope that helps.
April 5, 2013 at 10:31AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks all! So it looks like I will stick with my original plan of the bookcase on the far wall by the doorway to TV room :-).
@mjmil Thanks :-). FYI - the bookcase I bought is from Ballard (not Horchow).
April 5, 2013 at 7:12PM   
aurorasgifts
I love what you have done it really looks great!
April 5, 2013 at 8:06PM     
Darzy
Lookin' beautiful Christinemcole!
April 5, 2013 at 8:10PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I think your idea of having the bookcase on the far wall by the doorway is good,I love the feel your room is getting .It is exciting to see it all come together
April 6, 2013 at 5:08AM     
bevballew
What a great transition. I wish I could read all but enjoying the progression. Writing so I can continue to get the posts.
April 6, 2013 at 5:51AM     
bluenan
I'm late to the party, I've been out of town, but I love the new painting! It's the perfect shot of color and Wow that the room needed!
April 7, 2013 at 4:02PM     
cmcole1121
I have updated new pics with the painting hung :-). I also moved the cabinet to its new location. What do you think??

The empty wall will hold my new black bookcase and the shelving unit in the pic will be leaving the room soon ;-). Also I met with the framer about my lighthouse seascape painting which will hang over the cabinet in its new location. The stuff on the cabinet now is temporary but I do want a lamp there.

I was thinking of the smaller version of the blue gourd lamps I wanted to get early on - or would that be to much blue in that corner?
April 7, 2013 at 4:48PM     
aurorasgifts
Wow it is beutiful!
April 7, 2013 at 5:14PM     
cmcole1121
Thank you!
April 7, 2013 at 5:56PM   
bevballew
Looking just wonderful! Tank you for sharing each new item! Been fun to watch!
April 7, 2013 at 6:09PM     
vacox
I love it!! And kitty has her perch there too, I see!
April 7, 2013 at 6:32PM     
Ann
I think it looks great! I love the new art and it looks to be a perfect height. I like the cabinet in its new spot and I'm wondering if the lamp on it right now works. I like the "early on" gourd lamp but maybe it's better to have a lamp style completely different from the lamps at each end of the couch.
April 7, 2013 at 6:59PM     
cmcole1121
thanks all! Ann - you bring up a good point about the blue lamps maybe being too similar to the other lamps. the lamp on the piece was my mother in laws. it is gold toned and very pretty and much smaller than the gourd lamps (which may work in that space). i really hadn't thought about using it there - but now that you mention it, maybe it will work. i've attached a better pic of the lamp - what do you think?
April 7, 2013 at 7:41PM   
Ann
I kind of like it. I'd live with it for a bit and see how it feels.
April 7, 2013 at 7:47PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like the cabinet there, The lamp could be placed on a stack of books to add a bit more height if needed when you get the light house pic. Even go further and paint it a pewter color maybe. Then add a black shade for drama. Just some thoughts. I like the crystals on the lamp a lot.
April 7, 2013 at 9:02PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I like the placement of the cabinet,I think that you need to add height by placing a couple of books below ,as kevin has suggested I think it will look right.It is looking pretty now
April 7, 2013 at 9:58PM   
Ann
Oh, I kind of like Kevin's idea of a dark shade - black or charcoal. I do think I'd definitely keep that lamp and I wouldn't paint it (especially since you have some warm golds in the room with pillows, mirror, and art) but I might move the silver tray elsewhere. I like the crystals too!!
April 8, 2013 at 7:06AM     
lovliny
While I'm all for mixing styles I am sorry to say that I don't like the lamp in this room. It feels like a departure in style. To make this cabinet work I would add a more contemporary lamp.
April 8, 2013 at 7:09AM     
bluenan
A few thoughts: When you get the drapes for the big window will the cabinet be too crowded? I know you wanted to hang them to the outside of the window. The lamp needs to be a different style like Ann said, if you keep the brass lamp, I agree it needs a new shade. I would wait until your bookcase arrives and try it to the left of the big window as well as to the right of the sunroom door. I wonder if your two art pieces in the room will be too close together if you keep the cabinet with the lighthouse print above it where it is now. My thought about keeping the cabinet next to the sunroom is that it will spread your art to another side of the room, and the lighting to a darker corner. Also, if you get a table in your entry with a light, will you need one right across from it in the living room?
April 8, 2013 at 11:03AM     
cmcole1121
Thank you all for your thoughts! I will sit tight on a decision about the lamp for now :-).
@bluenan thanks for your ideas. The bookcase is actually coming tomorrow so we will see how it works in both spots. Although I think the bookcase is going to be a tight fit in the front window and i will probably have same issue you mentioned about curtains.

So here is another thought - what about moving the cabinet & lighthouse pic to where the shelving unit is now (other side of the big window) and moving the demilune table back to entry wall. This would just be temporary - until I find a console or other table/cabinet that I like to go there. This would maybe address the issue you raised of the curtains (that wall is a bit wider) and the painting location.

Thoughts from the group???
April 8, 2013 at 6:17PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I still like the console where it is, If your keeping the gold lamp I would remove the silver tray then. The gold lamp does lend it self to the gold in the art and I like the mix of lamp styles. I like mixing metals in a room but I would move the tray else where. I still would like to see a black or dark shade on the lamp. And add books for height if needed once the lighthouse pic is in. I think the bookcase next to the door is the best place for the larger book case. Once the drapes are in depending on how over draped the windows are you could switch them. You might just want to over drape the 2 windows by the fireplace only. Just some thoughts for you.
April 8, 2013 at 6:59PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks Kevin- I will look for somewhere else for the tray. Honestly I just threw some stuff on the cabinet once we moved it (hadn't really thought it through). For functionality I would like a tray or something else to put our mail on each day - but get that the contrast may be too much there. I will keep your thoughts in mind about the lamp. I will have to see what I think once i have the painting there.
April 8, 2013 at 8:22PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the console should stay because you want to have a place for your mail there answers that ? the console would be serving your use better there than a book case.
April 8, 2013 at 8:34PM     
cmcole1121
@kevin just to be clear I wasn't considering the bookcase in the location of the cabinet. We were discussing possibility of moving it to the other side of the larger window (where brown shelves are now). I think bookcase would be too tight of a fit - but wanted to make sure i was clear. not sure if that changes your thoughts.
April 8, 2013 at 8:43PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I understand, I feel the space would be to tight in feel where you had the old bookcase. I think a palm or bamboo tree live or Faux would be nice there though. No furniture though. I think the other end of the room needs the bookcase piece for added interest and height next to the door.
April 8, 2013 at 8:52PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I too think the silver tray does not fit well ,you could have a potted plant ,some easy to maintain orchid to liven the room ,the position right now is alright.Height can be added by books and to have a place for mailyou can choose to put them in some drawer below the console if it has one.
April 9, 2013 at 12:51AM   
cmcole1121
I already have art thank you.
April 9, 2013 at 4:23AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
So how are feeling about the progress Christine?

I think it's coming along beautifully.

For me personally, I think the hardest part...is where to stop before I get cluttered. I love details and varieties of textures....I have to be careful to not overwhelm my spaces with "too much."
April 9, 2013 at 1:42PM     
cmcole1121
my bookcase was delivered today :-). i have attached pics of a few different arrangements with the bookcase and other pieces, and would love some thoughts.

Keep in mind that the demilune is temporary. i would definitely want to get a new table at some point. also i am still considering painting the other cabinet. i will have to deal with the potential impact on curtains on that front window as the cabinet is pretty tight (either side it sits on).

i'm really just trying to figure out the configuration and what works. I ended up not doing a configuration of the bookcase in the opposite corner - after seeing the cabinet there i knew it would be too tight of a fit so didn't bother. So i think the bookcase will stay where it is - which i think really works.

question - does anyone have ideas about lamps in that part of the room? i'm thinking that i may flip the floor lamp and garden stool to put the floor lamp behind the chair near the bookcase. I really need another lamp over there. any other ideas as i do like the way it is now.

now i need to start decorating the bookcase. i'd love any pointers as i tend to try to overload with framed photos (which i definitely want to include quite a few) but still want to look nice and balanced.

I look forward to everyone's thoughts.
April 9, 2013 at 6:35PM     
bevballew
Looks beautiful!! Gorgeous piece and looks great there. I would say floor lamp as you indicated. I would agree also re other wall. Probably decide on window treatment first. Your room is looking lovely!
April 9, 2013 at 6:54PM     
mjmil
Love the new bookcase and it is in the perfect spot. I like the 3rd picture where you have the storage unit where the demilune table was. I think you do no need anything on the other wall especially if you are going to add drapes.
April 9, 2013 at 7:30PM     
bluenan
Love the bookcase where you have it, it mimics the shape and scale of the door which looks really nice. I like the cabinet on the left side of the window, the lamp will really light up that corner and the placement will also spread your art to the other side of the room. I think on the left side you can get away with a bigger lamp, the size and shape to be determined by what looks best with the art. I suggest moving the floor lamp around, it might need to be opposite the bookcase to balance out the higher verticals in the room. You'll know when you see it. It's all looking so good, Christine!
April 9, 2013 at 7:37PM     
cmcole1121
thanks bevballew, mjmil, and bluenan! i really love the bookcase and am super happy with it. i will play with the lamp and see if i like it behind the other chair - but bluenan i think you might be right about the balance. i guess it isn't that dim so if i can't move the floor lamp it is probably ok (although i'd love to add some light).

as for the other side of the room - i was expecting some different opinions on the best configuration :-). i think they both actually look good. i like your idea bluenan about spacing out art and adding a bigger lamp if the cabinet is moved to opposite bookcase. i guess the only thing i'm not sure about is what i would do with other wall. maybe a small console table or another demilune that has a bit more weight to it?

i would really love more opinions on these arrangements. If i were to leave cabinet by entry than what would i do with the other corner? i know some have suggested not putting any furniture there - but that seems like a waste of space to me. thoughts?
April 9, 2013 at 8:41PM   
Shobha Bhushan
I like your bookcase placement and the only factor I was uncertain about was the small console table ,which you may have some silver tray or try moving your floral piece.The balance between the lamps will have to be worked on.,
You can try putting the cabinet by entry and leave the other corner empty,just try how it looks ,at times we dont have to fill a lot of space ,a bit of empty area looks good.You could suddenly get a brilliant idea too,just try a few combinations and if you canpost the pics we can give some feedback.
April 10, 2013 at 12:04AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I love the bookcase there, a perfect choice in style too. I feel you really only need 1 piece of case goods on the large window wall. One or the other. That console would look great painted gloss Black. Maybe in front of the window if it doesn't block the vent. even slightly out from the wall once the drapes are in it would look better. Maybe a pair of ottomans on both sides of it then. Just a thought to try.
April 10, 2013 at 1:32AM     
aimran
room came out gorgeous!
April 10, 2013 at 4:12AM     
lovliny
Your room looks beautiful! The Ballard bookcase is perfect in location and style. I have three possible scenarios for the larger window wall:

1) I think that once you hang your drapes on this wall, the wall space on each side of the window is going to be reduced by one-half and any piece of furniture on either side will not look right. I would not use either the cabinet or the smaller bookcase on this wall and leave the wall open without any furniture, or

2) I liked Kevin's idea of a console which would not block the vent and place ottomans on each side of the console.

3) Regarding the cabinet you would like to paint -is there room under the window on the same wall as the chairs (the window that does not have a vent)? If you were able to put the cabinet there and that is what you end up liking, then I would not add a console and ottomans on the large window wall. I would also consider putting a mirrored top on the cabinet which would bring a lot of light into this corner.
April 10, 2013 at 7:57AM     
cmcole1121
Wow some more great ideas! A lot for me to consider. Some thoughts:
@kevin - i really can't put the cabinet in front of the window as it would block the radiator. Although i do like the idea of a console table in front of the window with ottomans that both Kevin & @lovliny brought up. This was an idea that @lpmenache had a while ago but i was hesitant about not using the wall space. If i did that then what would i do with the walls and on either side. i will definitely be hanging my lighthouse painting on one of those walls (now i'm concerned about the space for my painting once i add drapes).

@lovliny - thanks for your other ideas as well. i don't think the cabinet would work under the window by the chair.

? if i did decide to just stick with the cabinet on one side of the window (maybe pulled forward a little to allow for drapes (as kevin suggested) - what are the overall thoughts on which side of the window?
@bluenan brought up some good points about the benefit of the cabinet to the left of the window as it would seperate the art and provide more light in this corner with a lamp. however, from a practical perspective i do need somewhere near front door to put mail so i like the idea of a table to the right of the window. Possible solution to this would be if i am able to fit a small table in the entry area to meet this need. if it can work this would work better as it would also keep me from using that space in the living room as a dumping ground for stuff.
April 10, 2013 at 9:40AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think a lot of it will be depending on how wide you go with the drapes. Is that your only heat source in the room? I have placed furniture in front of rads before allowing aprox 8"-1' of space but the curtains on each side came out 6"s aprox so it looked OK and didn't block the heat. Plus it covered up the rad. Of course mine were really ugly. un like yours. I still like the idea of a large faux bamboo plant in the corner. But they can cost $300. for a nice one. Or a plant stand in the corner with a large plant. The corner needs something. But not to much of a heavy feel. Then I would use a floor lamp by the chair there. You can never have enough lighting around a room. I think function should come 1st for your needs.
April 10, 2013 at 10:02AM     
Ann
I like the idea of the cabinet to the right of the window and a large real or fake tree/plant (nearly to ceiling) in the corner in a quite large pot or basket. If the cabinet is on the right, I like the small lamp with a new dark shade as previously mentioned and the new art. I do think it would be nice to separate the art more, but I just think the cabinet works better to the right of the window and above the cabinet is the logical place for the art.
April 10, 2013 at 10:14AM     
bluenan
Please, no fake plants!
April 10, 2013 at 10:56AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
LOL bluenan I wonder how many fake synthetic clothing & other fabrics or woods & metals etc. the world have in their home and don't know the difference
April 10, 2013 at 11:02AM     
bluenan
I think with the drapes you don't need furniture on both side of the big window, though you will need to balance the other side. Hanging three pictures vertically can give you color, interest and height. Think about colored mats with gilt frames or black frames...some examples below. Maybe a small occasional chair or upholstered bench under the pictures to be pulled up next to the coffee table for extra seating when needed.
Deerfield
A Classical Journey: The Houses of Ken Tate
Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc
2009 Southern Accents Showhome
April 10, 2013 at 11:32AM     
bluenan
Kevin, I guess that's why I prefer wool, cotton, linen, brass, sterling, antiques with real wood, not glued together sawdust, and plants of the living variety.
April 10, 2013 at 11:36AM   
Ann
Live plants are certainly better, but it takes years to grow plants to ceiling height. I do think you need to spend some money and choose carefully to get a good fake plant, but I have a couple in my house that look quite good. I have more live plants/trees, but I start cuttings years before I need it when I know one of my existing trees will outgrow its spot.
April 10, 2013 at 11:45AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
bluenan, Got cha ! lol .The dyes & chemicals in some fabrics, paints etc can be toxic. Real plants are the best of course.They clean the air. I don't mind a faux quality plant of a larger size. Some folks can't grow plants or have the proper light, like in my dark rooms on the north side. But I use smaller real plants and always fresh cut flowers. I'm just chatting no offense, please
April 10, 2013 at 11:49AM     
bluenan
Certainly, none taken!
April 10, 2013 at 12:05PM   
cmcole1121
Funny i never thought fake or real plants could cause such debate :-). I will honestly consider both as i do not have a green thumb and have been known to a kill a plant or two :-).

Bluenan - i really like your ideas about the framed prints on the wall and also using a stool or bench or something on the other part of the wall. i also do like the idea of using a plant (either standing or on a stand).
April 10, 2013 at 12:11PM     
lrm1
It has been so much fun to watch your room take shape, it has come out so beautifully! The book shelf added just what the room needed. Can't wait to see final pictures with your drapes and personal touches added.
April 10, 2013 at 1:42PM     
cmcole1121
Thank you LRM1!
April 10, 2013 at 3:13PM   
mjmil
I really like Buenan's idea to place framed prints and an occasional chair on the left side of the window. I think it will look great and be practical for extra seating. I was looking through the post again at the pictures from the beginning to now and you really have done an excellent job. Your room is looking so beautiful. Every addition has been perfect adding another dimension to the room. I am with Irm1 I can't wait to see the addition of the drapes and personal items. Great job!
April 10, 2013 at 3:33PM     
cmcole1121
thanks mjmil - i like that idea too :-). i appreciate your kind words about my room - i am very happy with where things are at. still more to do though :-).
April 10, 2013 at 7:42PM   
cmcole1121
I took an initial stab at decorating my new bookcase. I know most will tell me there is too much on here and I think i agree. I guess I'm looking for some guidance about how to keep it personal but also attractive. It is important to me to be able to put out pictures (I would actually want to put out more if i could ;->).
How can I better balance my photos with other pieces. Most of the other pieces can move if necessary. Thoughts on what works and doesn't?

Also how would I tie in mantel, coffee table, and cabinet decorating (should I change anything on mantel or coffee table?)
April 11, 2013 at 6:54PM     
bevballew
Yes to both. I am no decorator so I am not good at that but one thing is the blue vase on the bookcase might work next to the vase on the mantel, maybe but I think the candles are fine maybe but you need something higher on the other side of the mantel. You probably need some bulk on the bookcase. Will be anxious to see what designers say.
April 11, 2013 at 6:59PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I don't feel the book case has to many things but a book case looks best with some books. Even added under the things you have laying flat. Maybe only 2or 3 picture frames in similar frame grouped closely together. all on one shelf Work in 3s & 5s for your objects add some books and maybe some greenery on one of the shelf's. Maybe lean a tray against the back of one shelf like the silver tray you had. A stack of decorative boxes would be nice on the bottom shelf maybe. Or a basket. or a folded throw on the bottom shelf.
April 11, 2013 at 7:11PM     
cmcole1121
Kevin I like a lot of your ideas. I was actually planning to incorporate some books (I just new to unpack them :->). I will try to group photos together - I always feel the need to spread out but think your idea could work. I will also try your other ideas. this is a work in progress - so it's more about trying to get balance while I continue to collect pieces that I love.

In the meantime I'd appreciate any other suggestions/ideas :-).

Bevbellew thanks for your ideas too.
April 11, 2013 at 7:43PM     
cmcole1121
Is this at all better? Also I bought 2 of these pretty small mason jars today at PB with hopes of putting some flowers in them. Any thoughts as to if they would work anywhere or should I return them? I was inspired by a photo in my idea book.
April 11, 2013 at 9:04PM     
romey9us
Awesome start. So many options here. I immediately visualized one of those animal skin (fake of course) rugs under that table. Something light and neutral, not zebra.
April 11, 2013 at 10:04PM     
Marie Ryan
where did you get the beautiful print of the ocean and clouds I love it very peaceful.
April 11, 2013 at 10:10PM     
aimran
you have enough items to keep changing items on your book case even monthly..
April 11, 2013 at 10:59PM     
libradesigneye
Try making one of the shelves all photos, layered together. If they don't fit there, take them out. Add some books in flat stacks, curated for color or wrap them in plain paper. Leave more open - take off the clear glass.
April 11, 2013 at 11:28PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I would go with kevin decorator;s idea as books have to be there and choosing a grouping for photos looks good,it should look more like a book case rather thana showcase.The blue jars have to go,I am not particularly fond of the mason jars but you could use them in your bathroom decor to add some interest..Combination of other knick knacks group together look good.You have to try a few to get an idea
April 12, 2013 at 12:03AM     
cmcole1121
@mpinmanryan thanks :-). i bought that in Cape Cod. The artist is Ann Packard (Packard Gallery) - i love it too!!
@libradesigneye - thanks for your feedback. did you happen to see the updated pic i added - i moved most photos to 1 shelf and added some books (i will need to swich out at least one of the frames). Am i headed in right direction? this is just the starting point - i want to get some greens to add (as Kevin suggested) and put a larger basket on bottom shelf. I will try to see if i can find a home for the crystal vase in the dining room.

i know a bookcase should primarily hold books - but i bought it more for displaying photos and pieces. i do view it more as showcase than a bookcase - but of course want if to look balanced and match the vibe of the rest of the room.

any thoughts about the other pieces i currently have on the shelves (ie lantern, blue vases)? i just bought the lantern ( i actually bought 2) & the blue glass pieces. I really like them but am open to other ideas about placement. Do you think they work?
April 12, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I feel the mason jars are to casual & would look better in another room. A kitchen or bath maybe.
April 12, 2013 at 11:13AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would look for mercury glass pieces or sculptures like attached for example. Check out Homedecorators.com or Wayfair.com for great finds.
April 12, 2013 at 11:20AM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Home Goods have great accessories, I view pottery barn as more of a Trad or country look.
April 12, 2013 at 11:24AM   
cmcole1121
thanks Kevin - honestly i have tried shopping at Home Goods several times and have never had any luck with finding anything that i like. Maybe i am not going at the right time. To be honest Pottery barn is very much in line with the kinds of things i like (i guess i'm more traditional :->).

i agree that the mason jars don't work in the living room. i will see if i can find a home for them in my kitchen (maybe window sill). i love the look of them with fresh flowers. thanks again - i appreciate your direction and input.
April 12, 2013 at 11:38AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Bombay company has very traditional things also lampsplus.com too. I'm just trying to give you some more choices for stores or online sites.
April 12, 2013 at 11:44AM     
cmcole1121
Kevin - thanks so much. I appreciate the suggestions. Bombay company used to have a store in a nearby mall, which i liked very much, i thought they had gone out of business. i will check out online.

also - fyi i changed my username on my account (in case anyone is confused :-).
April 12, 2013 at 1:19PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think you will love Homedecorators.com then, They are a division of Home Depot and I have ordered a lot from them. If you request a catalog you get a 10% off coupon from them every few months. Their prices are better than pottery barn by far.But yet have quality things. I'm crazy about wayfair.com they have a rewards program and I've ordered 75% of my home furnishings from both.
April 12, 2013 at 1:31PM     
cmcole1121
I actually have a Home Decorators store near my house. I've only been inside once though and when I went we were looking for specific furniture (not decorative stuff). - thanks!
April 12, 2013 at 2:04PM   
bluenan
Just my opinion, but I really think Home Decorators and Bombay sell inferior quality furniture, don't waste your money. Check my post from 6 weeks ago about the bookshelves, you'll see examples of stacking books horizontally and creating different levels of objects. I wouldn't be in a rush to go out and buy a bunch of things to just fill your shelves.
April 12, 2013 at 7:33PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks bluenan - I agree that i don't want to go buy stuff just to fill the bookcase. I would rather it be more organic (and may have other things still packed up that j forgot about :->). Also I really do need to have photographs as a big part of what I display. I will continue to keeps eyes open for anything i like - but in meantime wanted to know how to improve on what i have as my natural inclination is to load stuff up ;-).
This part is hard for me.
April 12, 2013 at 9:12PM   
bluenan
Photos are obviously important to you and give you a lot of pleasure so don't be afraid of loading up several shelves. This is your home and not a showroom. I like them best when they're layered together, overlapping, not spread out.
Graceful Gambrel
#54 - Millennium Enterprises - Menlo Park
mid-century desk
April 13, 2013 at 6:14AM     
cmcole1121
Bluenan - thanks for those pics and encouragement :-). Those pics definitely give me inspiration. Most other pics are just full of books with few pics.
April 13, 2013 at 7:30AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like the pics above because the frames all sort of have one tone with a accent frame here & there. The larger mats on the pics help layering pics together. Then they can be snug in groupings. Great idea.
April 13, 2013 at 12:26PM     
cjohnston
I think you've done a great job tying in the bookshelf, mantel, and coffee table accessories. Having some blue in each, like you've done, makes it work. I'd love to see some organic shapes on the bookshelf. You have a subtle coastal vibe, so maybe driftwood, shells, coral, etc.

April 13, 2013 at 1:16PM     
lovliny
Kevin - just went to Wayfair.com for the first time and found a garden bird bath that I have been looking for. Thanks for the info. Also believe Home Decorators is a great resource for accessories.
April 14, 2013 at 9:14AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Your welcome , I love & shop both of the stores on line.
April 14, 2013 at 9:29AM   
cjohnston
The only caveat I have about Wayfair.com is that their return policy is not very good. From their website: "For items that are shipped free, our shipping and handling costs each way are deducted from your refund, but you are refunded the full value of the item." I ordered a lamp that turned out not to work in my room...after deducting their shipping and handling fees, I calculated that I would only get back 60% the original price I paid for it. Just a heads up.
April 14, 2013 at 3:57PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks all ;-) I will continue to keep my eyes open for accessories & work on my photo frames. I should have my artwork next weekend and will share once I have it up.

Next I need to work on window treatments - ugh!! Many people suggested I needed some pattern in my curtains. I like the idea but would want something subtle - any other ideas than previously suggested?
April 14, 2013 at 6:53PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
When I had a problem only once with wayfair.com they told me to keep the item and gave me a full credit, but it was damaged. Hmmm. Overstock.com I had major disappointment with them.
April 14, 2013 at 8:20PM   
shakerjaebs
I had the same experience with Wayfair. I donated a large, very slightly damaged painting to Habitat for Humanity.
April 15, 2013 at 5:04AM   
Kelly
Just checking in to see your progress! It's starting to remind me of Olivia Pope's apartment from the TV show Scandal....which I am equally addicted to... Great job thus far. I have not read the back log on the drape debate, but if your wanting subtle..maybe a little pattern..why don't you buy off the shelve then have a boarder band added to give it a little piz-zaz...in some pattern you love..
April 18, 2013 at 1:48PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks @Kelly. i take that as a compliment :-). i've taken a bit of a break on here as i haven't had any updates to share. i'm taking a bit of a decorating break and waiting to find things i love (painting should be ready soon). I will work on curtains soon.
April 22, 2013 at 7:07PM   
PRO
April 23, 2013 at 11:10AM     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Welcome to Houzz, first dibs, love your site, I'm a fan!
April 23, 2013 at 11:29AM   
cmcole1121
Hi all - I just got my framed lighthouse painting back and think it looks great! I attached a photo but it is really hard to see how it looks because it is still wrapped. Anyway I wanted some advise about hanging it over the cabinet. How high should i hang it, centered over cabinet or centered on wall? What kind of lamp would look best (use lamp from earlier pics, a lamp with wider base, taller lamp, etc). Any advise would be appreciated ;-).
April 27, 2013 at 11:28AM     
Ann
I think the art looks nice but maybe a bit small to hang alone in that space. I kind of think you need a second piece for a vertical pair on that wall. If you want to stick with just the one piece, you could just leave it leaning against the wall sitting on the chest and make it a part of the tabletop decor.
April 27, 2013 at 1:27PM   
bluenan
Looks good! The height at which it is hung will depend on several factors. The lamp you choose will help determine both the height and placement, centered versus off-center to accommodate a bigger lamp. I also like to use other horizontal markers, ie, the window muntins to help decide picture placement. It should probably end up either just above or just below the center sash of your front window, I don't like when pictures are lined up with muntins, or hung too high. The lamp will overlap the picture to some degree, but without knowing the size of the lamp it's hard to say exactly where to hang it at this point. If you need to hang the picture a bit higher because of the lamp you can put something on the chest, under the picture, to visually anchor it to the chest.
April 27, 2013 at 1:48PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I thinka atall lamp one in the earlier pic which is stick like will go well,just make sure that the top of the lamp shade is where the lower left corner of the pic hangs,so it gives a visual balance.I suggest you just try a few combi but I think this light house painting with some small blue suggestions on the lamp shade,maybe if you can stencil on it or just choose some blue decals on your walls ,very little of it to combine the whole look.These deacals are available at michael;s .
April 28, 2013 at 2:45AM   
aimran
Use newspaper cut out to size of your frame n test it with painter's tape on your wall
April 28, 2013 at 4:42AM   
cmcole1121
I've added a pic with the lamp we had been discussing earlier. I also took one that is a wider shot to see the full window. Also it is hard to really see because of the reflections so I tried to take another angle close up.

Does this lamp work or should I look into other types (maybe larger base, shorter, styles)? I know people suggested a new shade if I kept this lamp.
Also as for placement of painting on wall - should I also figure out drapes before finalizing where on wall?
Ann - thanks for your comment. I can see what u mean it could prob be bigger but it is what it is and I don't think I want to hang 2 different paintings in that space.
Ann - thanks for your thoughts - ? What is a window muntin?
April 28, 2013 at 11:19AM   
bluenan
Muntins are the the wood strips separating the window panes. You might need to look into a taller lamp like these buffet lamps.

April 28, 2013 at 11:31AM     
Darzy
Wow...the room is coming together so beautifully! Has the curtains been decided upon? If not, how about a silk (or faux silk) pinch pleat? It would look so luxurious with a medium or a bit deeper blue. Love your art selections! Are you planning to "widen" the windows by adding a bit more curtain to the window's edge? If so, I think I'd wait on the final art above the entry table since the curtains may change the location a bit. The console may be a tight squeeze there after the curtains are hung. Speaking of the console, would the silver tray with pretty crystal glasses and a decanter work there for you? The crystal will add more sparkle of the lamp. Sort of a dry bar/hors de hourves table? I like groveraxles idea of changing out the lampshade to black. I don't mind mixing gold with silver, as long as it's not done just once. Like an ice bucket of silver/gold there as well. I LOVE what you have done!

April 28, 2013 at 5:50PM     
Darzy
I tried to 'catch" up but I apologize if I've missed something. In the corner that is empty that you mentioned you don't want to "waste" the space (but it's okay to waste space imo). Has anyone mentioned a small chaise in that corner with a lamp/small table? Your special place to read and have a little cocktail. :)

April 28, 2013 at 6:04PM     
cmcole1121
@bluenan thanks for the explanation :-). I will keep my eyes open for lamps that are taller.

@darzy - thanks so much :-). I have not made any decisions about curtains (have been putting off) but I do agree that I may have to reconfigure something's once I do (depending on how much room they take). I guess that should be my next big project - before I buy anything else or hang art. As for curtains I have had different advice - white, blue, patterned. I'm not sure which way to go (which is why I've put off :->).

As for the other part of the room. I have decided to leave empty for now. I'm not sure if I have room for a chaise and table but like the idea. I also like other ideas given for this space. I'm going to wait til I find something I love.
Thanks again for your nice words! I look forward to any other advice you may have for me ;-).
April 28, 2013 at 6:59PM     
aimran
how about these curtains?

agree with Darzy's ideas..
April 28, 2013 at 9:33PM     
Darzy
Nice curtains anumaura! Texture and a subtle, pretty color.
April 28, 2013 at 10:29PM     
cmcole1121
i do like those curtains Anumaura! A few people have suggested velvet curtains, which i think would look great! although i am wondering if i shouldn't go with a lighter fabric since natural light is so valuable in this room. I did want to keep curtains to the side of the windows but assume they will cover the window a little and i'm concerned with losing even a little sunlight.

Do people think that linen or silk curtains would look ok or do you think a heavier fabric like the velvet is the way to go? i've had suggestions about both. I've also had several people strongly suggest i bring in some kind of a pattern (even if subtle/tone on tone). Maybe something like the Restoration Hardware Pinstripe Sheer Belgian Linen Drapery or their Thai Silk Solid Drapery. i would love thoughts and specific suggestions.
April 29, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
If your over draping the windows you need to use a opaque fabric. You can always use sheers in between the panels. If your wanting to make the windows look larger a sheer fabric won't look good on the wall area that is over draped.
April 29, 2013 at 4:55PM     
cmcole1121
@Kevin - of course, that makes a lot of sense! That is why i love this site, i have no idea :-). I'm assuming that in order to have the curtains just frame the window i would need to "over drape" as you called it (also because of my radiators under 2 of the 3 windows)? do you agree?

also suggestions on color(white or blue) and or pattern?
April 29, 2013 at 5:03PM   
sjr877
I have purchased several items from Joss and Main - a dresser, a slipper chair, several small sunburst mirrors as well as other small accessories. I have been pleased with each one! Whenever you buy something you get the next 30 days of free shipping. I especially love that when purchasing larger items!
April 29, 2013 at 5:15PM     
Darzy
My vote would be silk or faux silk. It would be nice if the curtains were lined. Here is a pretty blue faux silk for only $25 a panel!

April 29, 2013 at 5:16PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Yes I agree, I think a silvery blue velvet would be very rich. They have panels at JC Pennys for $60. in velvet. Or a pattern like a trellis pattern on a rich blue back ground.
April 29, 2013 at 5:22PM     
bevballew
Silk will be beautiful! You can't go wrong!
April 29, 2013 at 5:39PM     
aimran
If you want to keep formal: get silk.. Want trendy: get the trellis pattern kevin suggested.
Why is kevin retired? :p :D everyone likes his suggestions and contributions on almost all discussions.
Cmcole1121: I did alot of curtains searching on this discussion recently: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/422136 you can check it out.. Mostly in grey-blue and greys.. Even blacks.. All prices too. Velvet too.. You can look it up if you want.. 2-3 posts..
April 29, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I agree with kevin about the silvery blue velvet panels to give it arich look,how about trying to burn velvet and make your own pattern if you are the kind who likes to personalize and also do some deco by yourself
April 30, 2013 at 12:35AM   
cmcole1121
Thanks Anumaura - i will definitely check out the link you provided very helpful. i will probably want to stay away from anything too trendy (especially for drapes) - but am open to a more traditional pattern (if it works). Also i agree - Kevin does have good ideas :-).

Shobha - thank you. i am not into DIY projects - not crafty at all! i stick to purchasing of pretty things as is :-).
April 30, 2013 at 9:07AM     
cmcole1121
any other recommendations of where to buy something nice that wil compliment my room but not cost a small fortune in the process?? I don't want to cheap out on the windows especially after eveything else i have done (and $ spent) on the rest of the room but want to be reasonable. I will try to go by JC Penney to see what they have.

Darzy, Kevin, and bevballew - thanks for your ideas/comments. i am leaning towards silk (vs velvet) but will keep my eyes open.
April 30, 2013 at 9:12AM     
April 30, 2013 at 10:03AM     
Ann
Well, they're certainly not cheap, but the Restoration Hardware Thai silk drapes you mentioned are sure nice. I got those for my dining room several years ago and they're great. The cotton drapes I had before were from Country Curtains and they were well made but faded terribly in my very sunny window. No problem at all with fading with the Restoration Hardware Thai Silk. Also, they have such great colors - they just get the neutral colors so right. I hate the prices and the customer service, but I usually love and keep their curtains and bedding for years and years.
April 30, 2013 at 10:05AM     
PRO
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 15, 2013 at 2:04AM   
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
3 Metallic finished Mirror Windows would look great behind the sofa. They would also help reflect light back into the room. http://mirrorwindows.com/index.html
June 15, 2013 at 9:01AM     
bevballew
I believe they already have a picture above the sofa.
June 15, 2013 at 9:06AM     
cmcole1121
Hi Houzz friends - it has been a while! Since so many of you provided so much help I thought it would be fun to show you "before" pics from right after we moved into our house and the "after" pics after painting, new furniture, etc. 1st 2 are before & last 2 are "after". Hopefully you agree with me that the after I'd much better :-).

As for any further updates. i don't have any - have been taking a break from decorating :-). need to focus on drapes (which I've been putting off).
July 12, 2013 at 9:15PM     
mjmil
Love all the changes. Great job.
July 12, 2013 at 9:20PM     
cmcole1121
Other after pics :-). Although not yet done (just taking a break). Would love any thoughts or comments. Specifically about drapes, and empty area to left of front window. I already have received many great ideas on here but just haven't been able to commit to anything.
July 12, 2013 at 9:57PM     
vacox
It looks wonderful! Great job!!
July 13, 2013 at 5:32AM     
bluenan
Hi Christine, It's great to hear from you! Your hard work has really paid off and I hope you're enjoying the results, it's a beautiful space.
July 13, 2013 at 5:41AM     
Margaret B
I think your room is in my top 5 favorite transformations on Houzz. You have done such a wonderful job with the help of your Houzz design Team!
July 13, 2013 at 5:58AM     
bevballew
Looks beautiful. Once you have drapes it will complete the room. I am not a designer but wonder if simply a large plant in that corner might work. Otherwise you could possibly add the same type of chest on the left side as the other side. Once drapes are up you can determine what will work best. Perhaps also just some art work., something like two large prints, one above the other.
July 13, 2013 at 6:03AM     
Ann
I agree with bevballew - a large plant (nearly to the ceiling) or two large prints placed vertically would be perfect for that corner. I don't think I'd place furniture there.
July 13, 2013 at 6:38AM     
mjmil
There are quite a few set of curtains at West Elm that would look beautiful: http://www.westelm.com/products/cotton-canvas-printed-window-panel-scribble-lattice-b901/?pkey=e|curtains|85|best|0|2|24||23&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
http://www.westelm.com/products/circle-stitch-printed-window-panel-plaster-t530/?pkey=e|curtains|85|best|0|3|24||4&group=1&sku=669390&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
http://www.westelm.com/products/velvet-window-panel-dove-gray-t387/?pkey=e|curtains|85|best|0|1|24||12&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Featured%20Curtains-_-
http://www.westelm.com/products/cotton-canvas-printed-window-panel-woodland-w792/?pkey=e|curtains|85|best|0|1|24||10&group=1&sku=248567&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Featured%20Curtains-_-
July 13, 2013 at 6:35PM   
Nancy Walton
I think a lined linen drapery will give you elegance while still staying with the somewhat casual vibe of the room
July 13, 2013 at 7:38PM     
aimran
love your white lamp and painting specially. It is indeed one of the best transformations on any design dilemma here.. :) if possible do let me know where you got the painting from?
@ curtains: if am not wrong, you wanted plainer but not too fancy sorts.. and no prints, am i right?
@ left of front window: that can be best answered after the curtains are hung.. but a painting like the one above the sofa would do in portrait style..
July 14, 2013 at 9:46PM     
PRO
Lovejoy Creations
So amazed at this whole thing...I'm new to houzz....so great to witness the evolution of this decor....amazing that everyone gives so much :)
July 15, 2013 at 11:35PM     
cmcole1121
Hi all - Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments on my room. It really feels great to have so many people say such nice things. Lovejoy Creations and Aimran & Barbara B - i really appreciate your very kind words. I also appreciate the ideas about the curtains and the one empty part of the room.

I really need to make a decision about curtains - as that will help me know what i need to still do in the room. In fact, i haven't hung my lighthouse painting yet (over cabinet) as i want to make sure it is centered after curtains are added. I am looking for the perfect curtain - I am thinking i do want something with some subtle color (light blue) but maybe a subtle pattern to give some dimension to the room (but it can't be too heavy as i need all the light i can get in the room). If anyone has any additional ideas please feel free to share.

@Aimran - i got the lamps from Bed Bath and Beyond (they are Pacific Coast Lighting) and believe it or not i got the painting on ETSY!!! The artists name is Andrada Anghel - she is in Canada. I found her stuff beautiful and was very drawn to this painting. She was a pleasure to deal with - would recommend her to anyone.

Again - thanks so much for your wonderful comments.
August 16, 2013 at 8:56PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I like the look you have achieved ,I would go with transparent curtains like a blue floral pattern ,simple or creeper designs from the upper portion of the windows to the floor .it looks cohesive and maintains some balance,surely white and light combined with dark blue will look good ,.I prefer natural lighting enter into a room so one feels good on any day,
You have got a good look on the whole and I like the way the look has been achieved.
August 17, 2013 at 5:04AM     
starbella
I love your painting and rounded doorway.
August 17, 2013 at 6:44AM     
bevballew
Think blue would be perfect.
August 17, 2013 at 7:00AM     
cmcole1121
What about any of these curtains? They are pottery barn silk, linen (both in Blue Dawn) and then a pattern? Other suggestions? I kind of want a more subtle pattern than one attached but having trouble finding
August 17, 2013 at 7:00PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I like the color and the trellis pattern it should look great with the rug and everything you have chosen so far. You may be hesitant to go pattern but will be glad you did it's small enough not to compete with the rug and will have just enough pizzaz to reallly set the room off wonderfully. Only you can really see the colors properly in your lighting. Compared to my lap top but I think you have a good eye for color.
August 17, 2013 at 7:58PM     
Ann
From the pictures, it does appear that the color of the Trellis is the best color of the three.
August 17, 2013 at 8:15PM     
mjmil
I think the trellis pattern would look great.
August 17, 2013 at 8:18PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I think the trellis pattern will look good too.I agree with suggestion from others
August 18, 2013 at 2:36AM     
pattiegoode
I think the trellis pattern is very trendy. I've not seen your most recent pix but everything you've chosen has been timeless, IMHO. I'm not saying don't do the trellis, but I'm suggesting that you will want to update in a few years. Just a thought, and your budget + need for change may lead you in that direction.
August 18, 2013 at 8:59PM     
cathieg
I just found this thread and I'd have to say you've been given some fabulous advice and have made some wonderful choices of your own. This room looks incredible and is a marvellous transformation. I think you could not go wrong with the trellis curtains as the design is classic and the pattern is subtle. Whatever you choose will look great because you obviously have good taste.
August 19, 2013 at 3:07AM     
bluenan
I think the trellis fabric is too strong of a statement in the room and one of which you will tire. Unless it's brought into the room in other ways, the pattern will look random and take away from your other softer choices. I'm making one more plug for a white or off-white linen; soft, light and classic.
Toronto Restoration
Coastal chic living room
August 19, 2013 at 7:14AM     
Nancy Walton
Pottery Barn has some nice drapes with subtle pattern.
August 19, 2013 at 7:23AM     
Ann
I like the current "Trellis" drapery trend quite a bit and I do think the third PB trellis choice is a good blue for the room, but I agree with bluenan. The room has such a nice, calm feel to it that going with a nice classic white or off white linen would be a great choice. When I commented earlier about the good color of the PB trellis, I kept looking at the pictures of the room and just couldn't decide whether I thought the trellis would be a bit much going on so my comment was about the color only and I was hoping the designers would comment on and know the best choice for pattern. I tend to make very safe choices (hoping I won't "over do" in decorating). If it were me, I'd go with bluenan's suggestion.
August 19, 2013 at 7:51AM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
Love that paisley @Nancy it would be timeless. On the other hand maybe a bit of trendy is just what the room needs though I think if you have been around a while like I have the trellis pattern is a repeat of history too. lol I think the windows of a room should be one of the best featured.
August 19, 2013 at 11:35AM     
Nancy Walton
I like the trellis design, as well. By the time the "trend" is over, the drapes will need replacing anyhow.
August 19, 2013 at 6:30PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I see rooms as I do a wardrobe, buy the basics 1st then add the accessories but every wardrobe needs that wow outfit that makes you feel wonderful and you don't have to think for a moment about it and love it. You can't resit it. I think the room needs a WOW .... now ... Drapes or something like a sculpture anything very special to take it to the highest level. I think the drapes will be the icing on top !
August 19, 2013 at 7:16PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks everyone for all your comments, i really appreciate it. however, the variety in opinions has reminded me of why I have pushed this decision to the end :-). So many options!

I do see the point about adding some color and/or pattern but on the other hand I am more naturally drawn to the more traditional/classic styles (obviously). I have been trying to force myself to find something with a pattern but am not sure that it is me. I will go to the store and get samples of the trellis drapes as well as the attached linen and silk drapes from restoration hardware. Hopefully something will jump out at me!

Thoughts on the attached drapes? Does anyone have experience with PB or RH drapes? What about the blue linen from Horchow?
August 19, 2013 at 9:10PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
The white texture belgian linen looks rich with the texture. If you want to go white. Just love what ever you pick and be brave ! Their just curtains.
August 19, 2013 at 9:26PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks - not sure that bravery is what I need. like u said they are just curtains. I am just uncertain and it is not an inexpensive decision. Anyway I appreciate all of the help and advice ;-).
August 20, 2013 at 4:59AM     
lovliny
As I suggested much earlier, I thought a subtle pattern was needed for the windows. Therefore, I prefer the trellis pattern IF it is close in color to the predominate color in your rug. It's hard to tell on my phone. Your room looks wonderful and you can't go wrong with any of the very nice suggestions you have already received. You just have to pick what you like best.
August 20, 2013 at 6:33AM     
aimran
Curtains will pretty much dress up your entire room. Liked teh trellis one too but maybe a little to bold. Fingers crossed for you to find something with a lighter pattern than that but not too intricate a sort.

Thanks cmcole1121 for the info on lamps and painting :)
August 20, 2013 at 10:57PM     
epostley
Talk about "great bones". What a lovely room. You seem to be going in the right direction. Just follow your instincts. I always need help with "window treatments". Very important because you have beautiful windows. Would love to see your room as it progresses. I would not hesitate to consult a pro on a room like this. Would love to know what you like in Art and accessories.
August 20, 2013 at 11:09PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Are you keeping the Drapes fixed open or open and closed ? If they are opened and closed you will loose a lot of pattern any way if kept open. Since when we are in a room it feels nice to see out. Even at nite a home looks inviting having a party and seeing in the home. etc. So there's a thought , solids maybe ? With the rad heat under the window on that one wall I would recomend a fix drapery and possibly a roll up blind or roman shade under the drapes to cover just the window. That could be a print or solid. All the windows don't have to have the same exact treatment. Same main fabric, yes normally. You save money framing the windows v.s.full window coverings. You have lived for months now with nothing. Do you like that feel ? So open feel just framing the windows may be the way to go. Then there's the insulation value of full lined drapes if that's a concern. Just trying to guide you to a choice. Thinking function and cost too.
August 20, 2013 at 11:48PM     
Shobha Bhushan
Just be brave and go with the trelis pattern,I am pretty sure it will give the look which this home deserves,it is my gut instinct.
August 21, 2013 at 6:06AM   
PRO
Light In Art
You could instead of placing too many lamps get a fire stone, which would dress your wall and bring light to the room as well as an artsy feeling. Also you could get a chandelier, a modern one that would fall within your color range of greys and blacks. We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and we make fire stones that can be customized as well as chandeliers. We customize size and color; visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
August 21, 2013 at 1:21PM   
bluenan
Ballard is having a 15% off sale on drapery and you can order samples. They have linen, linen blend and many patterns from which to choose. They're not inexpensive, but have good reviews.
August 22, 2013 at 6:14AM   
PRO
Yunfu HuanJian Stone Ltd.
For the first picture, I would like to suggest to put a bigger paint picture above the sofa. Then put a small plant or flower on the round table.
Below picture for you reference.
August 22, 2013 at 6:36AM   
cmcole1121
thanks for all the continued advice. i appreciate it.I actually just found 2 other options, - what do you think? one is the trellis but predominantly white with blue accent (vs opposite) and other is a light blue linen (both from ballard). Not sure how great these pics are.

Thanks @bluenan for the advice about Ballard. i received the email from them about discount right after i saw your post :-). i'm not sure why i didn't check there before.
@lovliny i agree i need to see how the color blue matches up, not sold on those yet.
@kevin i want to have drapes open, framing the window, vs opening/closing. i am also thinking that i would like to use a woven shade (maybe wood) which will be for privacy when necessary. The room doesn't get much light and so i don't want the shades to block the light when shade is up. I think the white drapes with the woven wood shade would look nice - what do you think about this latest drape i attached?

Another question for the group - what size drapes and rod do i need? I measured my windows and from the crown molding to the floor is 91 inches. i am planning on hanging rod very close to the molding, the large window in front is only 2 inches below crown molding and i will be consistent on all 3 windows. Looks like the standard sizes are 84 or 96 inches long. seems neither are perfect for me! I also want to get a rod that is a bit wider than the window so that the drapes frame the window. The largest window is 51 inches wide and the 2 smaller are 43 inches.

@Light in Art & @Yunfu - i am actually not looking for art of lighting at this point
August 22, 2013 at 12:28PM     
Nancy Travisinteriors
I like the trellis. I can't remember if you have any prints in this room? So would add interest.
August 22, 2013 at 12:37PM     
Nancy Travisinteriors
PB and RH are good like the ons you posted above the gray, would really be nice with yr furn. Color.
August 22, 2013 at 12:38PM   
cmcole1121
the patterned drape i just posted does come in a blue color (not sure if the pic is blue). the only other real pattern that is in the room is the rug (PB Maren rug). it is subtle pattern.
August 22, 2013 at 12:53PM   
Nancy Travisinteriors
You could go trellis. Or solid but stay in furn color. Don't over do the room. It would be nice to see room taken from sofa. Not sure of lay out. When I saw bookcase above looked too busy.
August 22, 2013 at 12:56PM   
Ann
I do like this new Trellis pattern because it eliminates the need to match the blues so much. It looks like the one shown has a gray pattern and I actually like that for your room. Would you consider that one (white background, gray trellis)? I'm one of the people who thinks you should keep it quite simple (agreeing with bluenan's suggestions), but this simple trellis might work. Well, the drapes need to reach the floor, so I think you need to order the longer length. I don't love the puddled look, but it works if the fabric is drapey and puddles nicely.
August 22, 2013 at 1:06PM     
Ann
Also, if you plan to keep the drapes open, you can probably get by with a single panel on each side, mounted a bit wide so just a tiny bit of the drapes cover the outside window edges.
August 22, 2013 at 1:10PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks Ann - i would consider the gray pattern as well. i think it would look nice to complement the gray sofa. I don't need to be so matchy matchy with the blue :-). I also want to keep it somewhat simple and thought this new pattern was more subtle than the other (while still giving some interest with a pattern). there is a part of me that still likes the simple white linen as well. I probably can't go wrong with either.

other comments/ideas are welcome :-)
August 22, 2013 at 1:29PM   
Ann
I agree completely - I don't think you could go wrong with either! I also like the way the gray compliments the sofa and you've got a good amount of blues in the room. The blues look very nice, but the blues are already repeated a few times and you wouldn't want to over do it. Maybe the length issue will help you decide between the drapes you're considering. Unless you want to have the drapes shortened, you might want to pick a fabric that puddles nicely.
August 22, 2013 at 1:42PM     
kizmet122
What an awesome and inspiring decorating journal you have here! So many unique perspectives and am loving the collaboration. ;)
My $.02-- I got sick of my handed down "custom" curtains (someone else's custom, not mine!,), went to home goods out of desperation and came home w textured grommet sheers in ivory. Super pale, so read white, but not stark or sterile (the room didn't have white, other than the baseboards and shutters). They're amazing... And add a softness while still dressing the window. Wound up buying them for three more rooms in my house, and LOVE them!
Would recommend to anyone, and its a super easy change in the future, or with the seasons.
August 22, 2013 at 3:19PM     
vacox
Kizmet122: This is a great discussion here on house. Since you are enjoying this one, I will point you to:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/293751/I-need-desperate-help-with-decorating

There are over 3,000 comments on the thread. It is a fascinating collaboration, which you might enjoy (if you have 3 days for reading). Now we are waiting for the final, final pictures from Rhonda, the original poster. It's basically over, but really a fascinating process.
August 22, 2013 at 4:51PM     
anastasiastrom
Great bones! I can't wait to see the finished product. Take a look at this room. Look at how much paint changes the feel of the space! Since you are still finish up the room did you hear about the $10,000 Contest Robeson Design is running? I wish I could enter but I'm not a US Resident. $10,000 worth of furniture from FurnitureLand South. Check out this video for more details:

I so wish I could join, let alone win! Be sure to post pics once you are all done! I would love to see how this space turns out!

Modern Living Room by San Diego Interior Designers & Decorators Robeson Design
August 22, 2013 at 5:27PM   
anastasiastrom
That's strange, the image didn't attach
August 22, 2013 at 5:33PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think the newest pattern/ trellis in the more neutral is perfect for you.
August 22, 2013 at 6:02PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks Kevin! do you have thoughts on the length? I am a little worried that the new drapes will be too long - but not sure that i have many options unless custom made.
August 22, 2013 at 6:29PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
For you ( I'm getting to know your taste) just floor lenght, a dry cleaners can normally hem fairly cheap. Standard is 84-81 inches. long but you could raise the rods some if you like that look. It looks like you could only go up very little not on the molding but just above. So again framing the window will be cheaper if hemming is needed. Then theres rods fixed drapes and framing the windows theres no need for expensive rods just a nice simple but beefy rod. I think your tables are black with a light distress. (look like mine ?) so black would be nice. The window coverings will just finish off your beautiful room.
August 22, 2013 at 7:04PM     
belray63
Christine, so glad you decided on the unframed artwork. It pops! Being unframed adds excitement, like the ocean and sunset are going to explode off the sides into your living room. Best of luck on your drapes. You have inspired me to post pics of problem family room soon. I'm a newbie; just found this site today...out of desperation. I have read every entry in your thread and I, too, have learned A LOT. Thank you so much for sharing and being so faithful with your updates.
August 22, 2013 at 7:22PM     
cmcole1121
@kevin re: the length of drapes i should get. Are you saying i should get drapes that are 84 inches? i will need to put the rod right under the crown molding - the bottom of which is 91 inches to the floor. (there is only 2 inches or so between the bottom of the crown molding and the top of the window (of my biggest window). 84 inches would be too short then, right? I would want to hang curtains with clips (not rod pocket). but I worry that 96 inches are too long. if you can clarify what you meant about the length that would be great.

also, ideas about how long of a curtain rod i should get for the 2 different size windows (knowing i want drapes to frame).

@belray63 - thank you so much for your nice comments. i'm glad that you learned something from my journey - this site has been such a help to me as i work on decorating my home. i hope that you can find it as helpful as i have (and continue to).
August 22, 2013 at 7:53PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
OK if they are 96"s you will need to cut them down to the 91" I agree. Yes you don't need short looking drapes they should be as close to the floor as possible without touching. Be sure and get the clips & rods then measure
because sometimes that can even make a difference. I would mount the rods then hang the drapes on the clips then measure and pin 1 panel even the spacing of the clips and how the fabric hangs all makes for different lenghts.
August 22, 2013 at 8:16PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
So I wouldn't just think 91 inches measure with what your going to use panels clips and rods. Once you put a pin on each side measure that then for a double check measure the rest of the windows just to be sure allowing for settlement of floors etc. on each window. That way no room for error on all windows.
August 22, 2013 at 8:18PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
A 25 foot long room can sometimes have a 1" differnce , Due to settlement and construction. I have done a lot of drapery jobs in the past having to even have different lenghts for windows. If you ever wall papered you will know what I mean. Thank goodness it won't have to be that precise. lol
August 22, 2013 at 8:22PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
Do know the clip & rod hung panels will not always be perfectly straight looking at the bottom once hung , that is part of the look. I don't mean to over play this or scare you in measuring. I'm just giving you some things to think about. So relax you will do great. lol Measure twice always.
August 22, 2013 at 8:27PM   
Ann
I was thinking about the window with the radiator too. That one is tricky because you can't come down from the crown molding like you can with the other windows. Just make sure they'll come to the floor (measure, measue, measure) and paying a bit to get the dry cleaners to shorten the longer length might be the way to go.
August 22, 2013 at 8:35PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
The best I can tell from the pics I would go 4-6"s out from the window . If they are not see through fabric panels you can go wider if you feel the need to 1 foot. But again there are no rules the rad window would be one I might make look even wider. So they hang & show more on each side. But not all windows have to be the same distance out from the window. Of course you have a small table that you sort of wanted to keep on that rad wall too. So maybe keep it as small as 2 "s.
August 22, 2013 at 8:36PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I try to guide with design not boss. So I just give things to think about and would always say if I thought you were making a mistake. You have proven you have great taste !
August 22, 2013 at 8:40PM     
cmcole1121
Kevin & Ann - thank you for your advice. I'm going to order some samples of blue and gray print and the RH white linen and see where I net out. I might have to convince my husband of the print (if I like the sample). The size will be the next thing I stress about :-).

@ Genevieve - thanks for your ideas, however, i have already purchase art, rug, lamps, etc. you will see all of that if you look at the more recent posts with my before and afters
August 22, 2013 at 9:18PM     
Genevieve
I would love to see it all done ,I think that grey is very refined .

I saw it it looks great :)
August 22, 2013 at 9:26PM     
cmcole1121
Genevieve - look at some of the posts from few weeks ago - I posted some before and after pics. The room is almost done now, just working on windows. Thanks again :-)
August 22, 2013 at 9:31PM   
frchgrl
Hello, popping in a bit late but just wanted to mention that I recently stayed at a hotel where the decor was gray, black and yellow and was gorgeous . Here are pics I found online similar.
August 22, 2013 at 11:08PM   
brodysmamaw11
You are doing great!! Just go with the things that pick up ur personality and the colors that the designer suggested above. I love it. The blue sheers from top to floor would add so much flow and as for pillows? Add 2-blue. And then pick up the colors from the above suggestion the pink and grey Have fun it's your home. Enjoy it.
August 23, 2013 at 6:41AM   
lrm1
I have been enjoying these posts so much, and the room is already beautiful! I do get the feeling you are trying to go outside your comfort zone with the patterns and I wonder if you would just "feel more at home" with a solid?
August 23, 2013 at 7:20PM     
Ann
lrm1 makes a very good point. No need to go outside your comfort zone. Your choices have been so good so go with what feels right for you - it'll look great.
August 23, 2013 at 7:23PM     
paigedunn05
I painted my family room the same color and used a lot of blue and greens as my pop of color.. I added a picture so you could see.. I love my hooker chairs and their print
August 23, 2013 at 7:27PM     
cmcole1121
Thank you all. @LRM - u r right. I have been pushing myself on the pattern because I know it would add something to the room. I ordered samples of the blue and gray Ballard drapes to see if I like either of them, I'm actually really thinking I might. If I get the samples and don't like I think I may stick with the white linen and be done with it :-). I definitely won't spend this kind of $ if I'm not comfortable. I actually found a pic of the curtains in someone's home (within a glowing review on Ballard). I love the drapes in the pic and hope ill like one of the swatches too.

@ Paige - thanks your room looks great too. Thanks for sharing.
August 23, 2013 at 9:42PM     
heba22
Hi
I feel you need some color to left the LR up and maintain the style I picked some idea from the product list here and it depend on your color performance you can go blue or orange for the window treatment upholstery and I prefer metal black side light to go with your table and a nice middle rug as well a picture over the chimney you can fram it or leave it without frame 1-picture 2-rug - and the current will be blue ( deep see color )
August 24, 2013 at 12:21AM   
heba22
These curtain deep sea blue and if you want to go crazy you can us this chandelier
August 24, 2013 at 12:24AM   
cmcole1121
it's been awhile since I've posted on this room as I haven't made many changes since last time. But I found these gorgeous pillows on One KingsLane and was wondering if either would work on one of my black leather chairs? Let me know what you think. I've posted 2 pics to remind everyone of part of my space.

Also if you could suggest another floor lamp for next to one chair, what would you suggest? I'm considering moving this lamp up to my office and getting a new one. Also I'm still in a holding pattern with window treatments :-).
January 6, 2014 at 9:06PM   
mjmil
I like both of the pillows and think either would look great with your black chair. A touch of color would be a nice addition. I also think the Ballard curtains that you have been thinking about would look wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Your room looks so great.
January 6, 2014 at 9:17PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks Mjmil - I appreciate comments on pillows.
Anyone else have thoughts on either pillow for my chair?

Mjmil - I decided against the Ballard curtains once I got samplesonce I got
January 9, 2014 at 12:32PM   
Ann
I love the first pillow! The second, not as much.
January 9, 2014 at 12:49PM     
Ann
I'll be happy to do some lamp shopping:) Let me look around.
January 9, 2014 at 12:51PM     
Ann
Would this PB lamp with the table be useful by that chair? It looks like there isn't another table by that chair. This lamp also comes without the table as well.
January 9, 2014 at 1:00PM   
PRO
Dana Decals
A nice orange here and there could work well as an accent, too.

Here is a link to another discussion that might give you inspiration for color options. Check out the work groveraxle did, you might like it!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/790998/Front-door-color
January 9, 2014 at 1:02PM   
Ann
A nice adjustable height lamp. Also, Pottery Barn.
January 9, 2014 at 1:03PM   
Ann
A task lamp would work too, if you don't need as much light over there. PB again.
January 9, 2014 at 1:06PM   
Ann
Kind of modern and platinum gray shade. Not sure, but maybe. Lampsplus.
January 9, 2014 at 1:20PM   
Ann
Classic Robert Abbey - comes in brass, nickel and bronze.
January 9, 2014 at 1:25PM     
Nancy Walton
I worked up some boards using draperies from smithandnoble.com They would be considered made-to-measure, not custom, though not cheap. There literally hundres of fabrics to choose from, and you can order samples. When I do draperies, I like to suggest using a print incorporating all of the predominant colors in the room, but not neccessary.
January 9, 2014 at 1:42PM     
Nancy Walton
A couple more...
January 9, 2014 at 1:44PM     
bevballew
I like the one just above on the left.
January 9, 2014 at 7:01PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks all :-) I do like the one Robert abbey lamp that Ann posted. I'm just trying to decide if I replace the lamp in living room or just leave it and get new one in Office. Attached are a few others to consider.

Nancy - thanks for curtain ideas. I definitely want to do a print (even if subtle) which is why I've kind of stalled.
January 9, 2014 at 8:38PM   
Ann
Well, I always give my living room priority to my office, so I like your original thought of upgrading the living room lamp and using the existing one in the office.
January 9, 2014 at 9:03PM     
cmcole1121
That was my thinking too. I just need to find that perfect lamp for living room. I like some tripod lamps but I think it may be too bulky for my space.
As you can see from ones I've posted above I tend to like pretty simple floor lamps - but I'm open to other ideas.
January 9, 2014 at 9:32PM   
Bryliegh Wes Melaynie
Maybe the idea of some silver vases in three different shape/sizes for the end table , something that has a spiral to it :) and yes a black and white picture above the couch on the wall . Unless you'd want some other color . Or even mirrors that separate for the back wall :)
January 9, 2014 at 9:41PM   
marylynnk
I really like the second pillow. The warm golds and yellows will be much more dramatic on the dark chairs than just the blues. It will also bring in the yellows from the picture above the couch and your ikat pillows. I haven't noted what color you decided to paint your cabinet, but think the soft sand color someone mentioned would look awesome!
January 9, 2014 at 11:04PM     
marylynnk
Also, as to the floor lamp, have you considered one with an oversized drum shade? I think it would add a light touch of drama. Playing with scale can add a lot of personality to a space. I am painting my living space grey soon and have enjoyed your thread!
January 9, 2014 at 11:08PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I Love the tripod floor lamp ,a good mix for the room to keep it interesting ! Happy 2014 !
January 10, 2014 at 12:41AM     
chookchook2
Reading through from the top, I think the room could use a warm colour accent.
January 10, 2014 at 1:52AM     
PRO
Iris Design Studio
You Can use our Mendoza collection for a more Modern look http://www.irisdesignstudio.com/#!product/prd12/1505078415/mendoza-ceiling-lamp
January 10, 2014 at 2:38AM   
Ann
The tripod lamp you posted doesn't look terribly bulky. The black shade could introduce a nice mix to the room, as Kevin said.
January 10, 2014 at 8:50AM     
Shobha Bhushan
I like the tripod lamp ,but some color is necessary like orange accents on pillows or some other vase will do the trick.Ikea has shapes and colors ,so you can mix and matchup
January 11, 2014 at 6:03AM     
cmcole1121
I do like the black tripod lamp very much but am concerned about the black shade and how much light will be emitted, Since light is an issue in this room. Also would it be too much black to have lamp next to black chair?

What are thoughts on either of the 2 lamps below as compared to black tripod?
January 11, 2014 at 10:05AM     
Nancy Walton
Nothing says you have to have a black shade. I have seen light coming from a black shade before, and it would be directed up and down, provided the shade was lined.
January 11, 2014 at 10:10AM     
bluenan
Have you considered an aged brass to pull out the golds in your painting, pillows and rug?
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/robert-abbey-koleman-aged-natural-brass-club-floor-lamp__u1064.html
January 11, 2014 at 10:58AM     
bluenan
That's the same one Ann showed earlier, just in the brass finish.
January 11, 2014 at 10:59AM   
cmcole1121
I had been thinking about a brass or gold tone floor lamp but am just concerned I may tire of it. The gold/champagne tones are throughout my room with the mirror, pillows, rug and buffet lamp so I think my 2 options are a dark lamp base or brass/gold tones. What do others think of going with a brass or gold tone lamp? Specifically one below
January 11, 2014 at 11:45AM     
Ann
Cmcole, brass would certainly work, but brass just isn't my favorite metal. The gold tones you have in the room already look very, very nice but, if it were me, I might not add more. I really like the One Kings Lane lamp you've pictured a few times, but I'm having a heck of a time deciding what color and type shade I think would be best in the room. The tripod with black shade is quite nice but the black shade will definitely put out less light as Nancy described. But, it is unique with an edginess that could look very cool. Here's another tripod, this one from PB and I like the shade shape. What about choosing 3 or 4 of your favorites and starting a new Houzz "poll" with a few pictures of your room included? Polls are fun and popular. If you do that, leave the lamps in the room turned off so we can see the existing shade color.
January 11, 2014 at 12:35PM   
thealings
I have two of those couches facing one another and painted the room in Revere Pewter, but no black in the room. I added turquoise and white accents.
January 11, 2014 at 12:46PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks - Yeah I'm not sure what color would be best too! Ann - the lamp you posted is wood tone i think which is not a color/finish I have in room except for cabinet (that I'm still considering painting). If I got the black tripod lamp I could change out the shade if it is too dark, to Nancy's point. Also I did increase the wattage of bulbs in table lamps so tgat has helped with brightness. I like the shape of the black tripod lamp the most.
January 11, 2014 at 1:23PM     
PRO
Thos. Baker
This space has such elegant, clean, classic lines. Beautiful. I would use rectangular-shaped accents above the sofa and fireplace, as opposed to using any piece that's round. How about a mirror that's both mirror and art? If you like the concept, then the rest of your color scheme would follow from there.

Christi at ThosBaker
January 11, 2014 at 2:19PM   
Ann
OK, so you like the tripod lamp with the black shade (me too), but earlier you asked if it's too much black with the black chair. I tried to find Houzz pictures to help answer that question, but didn't have much luck. My favorite example from what I found is the first picture. Wonder if we could find a simple black tripod with a white, white drum shade?
[houzz=Upper West Side Residence]
[houzz=Livingroom]
[houzz=Ewing House Colonial Williamsburg]
January 11, 2014 at 2:33PM   
Kimberly Beth
I purchased two shelves I plan on hanging above my couch. Should I center the shelves with the couch or the wall? My couch is over to the right because of where my tv is on the wall across from it. Thanks!
January 11, 2014 at 2:40PM   
Ann
Maybe the one you showed earlier (black tripod with white shade). It looks like the same manufacturer as the one with the black shade. Check out overstock.com and search for "sticks floor lamp". I think they have it with either black, white or red shade for around $230. Is that the same lamp? Maybe you've found a better price.
January 11, 2014 at 2:47PM   
Ann
This one is kind of cool too. I found it shopping in Houzz. It's called "threads floor lamp".
[houzz=
]
January 11, 2014 at 2:49PM   
Ann
Kimberly, please start a discussion of your own and I'm sure you'll get some help with your shelves.
January 11, 2014 at 2:53PM   
Ann
Cmcole, I really liked the lamp in the "Upper West Side Residence" I posted a few minutes ago so I checked to see if I could find out where it was from. It's tagged in the Houzz picture - $3800 - NEVER MIND, lol! Did this one from lampsplus appeal to you at all?
January 11, 2014 at 2:58PM     
cmcole1121
Yeah I was just going to repost the other lamp I found with white shade (see below). This lamp can hold up to 60 watt light bulb where the one with black shade only holds 40 watts. I think that low wattage and the lighting needs I have eliminates the one with black shade. Below is another pic of black shade with light on. I will check out link u provided to see best price. I think I may go for this black tripod with white shade.
January 11, 2014 at 3:00PM   
Ann
Yep, after tossing the options around in my head, I think that's the same choice I'd make - black tripod/white shade. It'll probably look great next to that chair.
January 11, 2014 at 3:04PM     
Nancy Walton
Yes, the black shade is not lined, so you can see the bulb when it is lit. Not good. Go for the white shade.
January 11, 2014 at 3:05PM     
bluenan
Tripod lamps are fairly wide so with the extra width and the height it could do a good job of visually filling the space to the left of your front window.
January 11, 2014 at 3:22PM     
RosemaryR
I just came across this posting and I love what you have accomplished. That said, guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. I can't tell is there is a radiator in front of the window that you see as you enter the room but if not, I would consider moving the wooden table in front of it with a lamp, of course, on it and definitely paint it and add new hardware. On wall where window is taller, I would place similar art on either side of window and add a picture light rail above each (you can get these a Lowes/HD, plug in or battery). Move current floor lamp to other side of FP, change lampshade to a drum style and consider spray painting lamp a yellow to pick up color in pillows/large painting to bring that color to that side of room. It will bring that unexpected touch of whimsy to the room! As for drapery, it's tough, I know. Just received a new pair from West Elm that I love and also have some from Country Curtains that are great too. You've done most of the hard work, now have fun and enjoy your room, great job.
January 11, 2014 at 3:38PM   
cmcole1121
Thanks all for your help! i ordered the lamp. was actually tough to find it in stock anywhere but finally was able to order online from Nebraska Furniture Mart???? hopefully this all works out :-). i'll post an updated pic of my room once it arrives in a few weeks.

Rosemary thanks for your kind words and ideas.
January 11, 2014 at 3:48PM     
chloenkitty
I would go with something light like white or cream. Gray and cream are stunning together. Don't put anything too bold like red (too 80s) I'd keep it soft with a cream area rug, large beautiful mirror or art over the sofa (great sofa by the way) some white or cream candles and a beautiful flower arrangement and perhaps some coffee table books on the table. This room could be spectacular with the right accessories. Good luck and have fun!
January 11, 2014 at 4:01PM   
chloenkitty
Of course it's not your exact decor, but this is to show you how lovely gray and cream are together
January 11, 2014 at 4:05PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I think the black tripod with white shade is a good option for some reasons,one is lighting as white reflects light,the look will be right too.
January 12, 2014 at 3:56AM   
cmcole1121
so total bummer - i finally found a lamp i wanted and today i was notified that it is backordered to April! ugh. i am not having good luck lately with lamps.
January 22, 2014 at 8:17PM   
Ann
That is a bummer, but if they feel confident it will actually be available in April, I'd wait for it. I ordered window coverings from PB for my 7 yr old granddaughter last year and the backorder date kept getting pushed out further and further. I finally decided she'd be a teenager before those ever came and ordered a different pattern. But, the first backorder date would have been manageable.
January 22, 2014 at 8:32PM   
cmcole1121
i agree - i sent an email asking them how confident they are in April for delivery. i really haven't seen anything else i like as much (that is as affordable). it isn't a lamp emergency :-).
January 22, 2014 at 8:43PM     
Natasha Assa
I only just now discovered this thread. I read from way back when. One thing that's totally screaming at me is the need for the second Ballard bookcase in order to flank the window on opposite wall. The console then would move to the wall presently taken by bookcase and the room will finally be serene. I don't get it how so many pros on this thread didn't give you this advice. That wall with a window in the center is really begging for a symmetrical arrangement. But two mismatched tables that you tried just don't cut it. Yet, leaving a table on just one side of the window throws the wall and the room off balance, never mind the ideas for plants, etc. it's the second bookcase that's missing. When are they gonna offer coupons at Ballard again? Get it and buy it ASAP. Other than that the room is very fine. My congratulations!
January 22, 2014 at 9:03PM     
cmcole1121
I just found this almost identical lamp on Joss and Main for less and avail in 2 weeks. I think I'm going to order and cancel other one. Thoughts??
January 23, 2014 at 7:59PM     
bluenan
Sounds like a plan!
January 23, 2014 at 8:18PM     
cmcole1121
I ordered it! I don't think I like the shade as much but at $100 less it's worth a shot! I figure I'll wait until I get this joss and main lamp and make sure I like it before i cancel BACKORDERED one.
January 23, 2014 at 8:24PM     
Ann
Looks good to me!
January 23, 2014 at 10:15PM     
RosemaryR
I saw that lamp at J&M and thought of you but got sidetracked before I sent you a note about it. The shade is different but if it doesn't work, it can be changed easily enough. Love a woman with a plan!
January 23, 2014 at 11:19PM     
PRO
Liquor Shelves by Armana Productions
Decorative your Room by way of Liquor Bottle Shelf Display for Your Room. The just right technique to display your liquor bottles in your room - that is a fun, stylish and economical way. Armana Productions can help you to decorate for HOME / ROOM by ways of Liquor Shelves Display. Choose from unlimited colors and multiple effects using the Wireless Remote Control. Visit our Profile for more idea on liquor shelves. Find some interesting pics
January 23, 2014 at 11:32PM   
Shobha Bhushan
I think these lamps work well,it all depends on the look you are aiming at.
January 29, 2014 at 3:44AM   
lmckuin
I just came across this thread and am so impressed with cmcole1121 - you have done such a great job of taking input but making the final decision that works for you. Gorgeous room and it sounds like you had fun during the process.
January 29, 2014 at 4:12AM     
cmcole1121
@Lmckuin thanks so much for your nice words on my room & thread! I appreciate it :-)
January 29, 2014 at 6:24AM     
cmcole1121
My new floor lamp arrived! What do you think? It's taller than I thought but I like it. Is it too tall or good? Other thoughts on space (I know I still need to do something about window treatments :-).
February 13, 2014 at 10:32AM   
Ann
Boy, I love the lamp but its scale is definitely tall and large. It might be too tall and big. Does it look quite big in person too? The tripod style is very nice in the room.
February 13, 2014 at 10:45AM     
cmcole1121
Well it definitely is taller than my previous lamp, and what I was expecting, but I do like it. I'm just not sure about scale? Any suggestions? The lamp isn't returnable so I'd really like to figure out something. Maybe adding the curtains would help as it will give more height to the room. Here are 2 more pics with lamp on.

Also what are thoughts on magazine rack next to chair?
February 13, 2014 at 12:34PM   
Ann
I found this pic on Houzz. I think it's the same lamp and has the same tall look compared to the other pieces in the room. So, maybe it's the kind of oversized look the lamp is meant to offer. I agree that ceiling to floor drapes will add another tall element to the area. I think the magazine rack is fine there. You know, if you decided you just wanted the lamp a bit shorter, it might not be too hard or too expensive to have 6" cut off of the bottom of those legs. Anyone with equipment to cut metal could probably do that quite easily. It is a very cool lamp! Let's see what other opinions and thoughts you get.
[houzz=
]
February 13, 2014 at 12:58PM     
cmcole1121
Attached is a more distant pic looking at the whole living room from the tv room (don't mind the blue cover on the sofa :-).

Thanks Ann! What a beautiful picture u found. I appreciate your help.
February 13, 2014 at 1:15PM     
bluenan
I agree with you about the drapes helping to balance the size of the floor lamp. Ann's picture really helps, but those ceilings are very high. The shot from the TV room, as well. I thought too about maybe having it cut down. Don't stress about it yet, live with it for awhile. It does add nice light to that side of the room.
February 13, 2014 at 2:17PM     
lovliny
To me the lamp is too tall and affects the visual balance with the fireplace. Have you considered a table and lamp next to that chair? I think every chair needs a place next it to rest a drink or book to be comfortable.
February 13, 2014 at 2:29PM     
Ann
I agree with bluenan - see how it feels for a bit. It's a very attractive lamp, adds wonderful light to that side of the room, and I think would be very easy to have shortened if you choose to in the future. Since you plan to buy drapes anyway, I'd certainly wait to see how you feel about the lamp's height once drapes are up.
February 13, 2014 at 2:42PM     
abbyjean
LOVE the lamp! And love it with the coffee table!!! Too bad there is not an outlet behind the chair.

One thought, as lovliny suggested......what if you were to take the side table and lamp from the opposite side of the couch and place it by the chair....same side where the lamp is....and move the lamp to that end of the couch. Would the couch balance it out more?
February 13, 2014 at 3:48PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks all - I think I will live with it a bit and see how I feel once I finally get to curtains. Abbyjean - I appreciate the idea but I think the side table and lamp will be way too big next to that chair - but maybe I'll try it to see how it looks.
February 13, 2014 at 5:27PM     
Shobha Bhushan
I think the lamp looks big but you can have off white curtains in sheer and that will cancel the white color shade and we will look at the legs which I feel can be shortened if possible ,but easier method will be to try the drapes first ,so the look can be gauged
February 13, 2014 at 11:29PM   
cmcole1121
Hello all - it's been a long time since I posted as I've taken a break from my living room (and still haven't bought curtains). Anyway, I'm writing today to ask for opinions about artwork. I may have the opportunity to go back to gallery of the Artist who painted my lighthouse print. So my question is - should I consider another print or 2 for this room in a similar style as the lighthouse one?

A while back it was suggested to maybe have 2 prints vertically in the spot I have the lighthouse (because print is a bit on small side). Someone else had also suggested 2 or 4 prints on the wall on other side of window.
I dont want to be too matchy but I love this artists work.

Id love any ideas or thoughts on this. Of course it's all contingent on finding something we like - but I wanted to throw it out since I don't know if I'll ever be back to go to her gallery again.
I've attached a few pics of my framed lighthouse print, the space, and my room (as a reminder) :-).
July 13, 2014 at 7:09PM   
bluenan
Hey Christine! I don't think having multiples of an artist's work that you like is too matchy, it's more like a collection. Having two above the chest will weigh heavily on the right side of the window. When you get drapes the chest will have to be moved over and I'm wondering if there will actually be room for it on either side without looking crowded. If you need some place for keys and mail, you might want to eventually find a less bulky piece. So, to answer your question, I would try to find at least one more to pair with yours, and if you can find more you love, a pair on either side of the window would look really nice.
Anaheim Hills Houzz Tour: Modern History Breakfast Room
July 14, 2014 at 7:00AM     
cmcole1121
Thanks Bluenan! So do you think I should do 1 piece same size or larger as my lighthouse print or maybe 2 smaller ones on the other side of window?
July 14, 2014 at 12:00PM   
mjmil
I agree with Bluenan, multiple paintings by the same artist is a collection. Art should speak to you something that you love. So if you love paintings by the same artist so be it. I think if it were me I would want to put up my drapes first and then assess the art that I would add. Not having the drapes up makes it difficult to decide on one or two paintings.
July 14, 2014 at 12:46PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks Mjmil. Appreciate it and agree drapes would make sense but........

so we just stopped in the gallery and found a print we like and are considering. It is a bit bigger print 16x20 compared to my lighthouse print which is 16x12. It's similar in style but different. I'm thinking we could hang on other side of front large window. We are coming back to town tmrw and are thinking of buying. What do u think?

Apparently this artist is no longer doing small prints of her paintings so these are all limited and when they're gone that's it.
1st pic attached is the print we are considering buying - 2nd is the print I have already (lighthouse).
July 14, 2014 at 1:32PM     
mjmil
That is a very pretty painting. I think it will go nicely with the other paintings in the room
July 14, 2014 at 1:54PM     
abbyjean
SOLD! You will kick yourself for a LOOOOOONG time if you come home without it.
July 14, 2014 at 2:51PM     
bluenan
Love it, they don't have to be the same size to stack. You should get it, there will be a way to work it in.
July 14, 2014 at 3:55PM     
chelley131
Sorry off topic but I loooove your sofa where did you get it from
July 14, 2014 at 4:40PM     
cmcole1121
Thanks all! I really appreciate the input and support :-). We are planning on buying it today - will reach back out once we get home and are deciding on frame/location :-).

@chelley - thanks. The sofa is from Crate & Barrell and we love it too ;-).
July 15, 2014 at 8:37AM     
More Discussions
What stain color to use on white oak floors with red cherry cabinets?
We recently purchased this house with red cherry cabinets...
Need help choosing grout color please...
I was thinking all along to go with a natural gray...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.